Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pards not happy - what is going on?!

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
From BBC:

Pardew bemoans Bougherra transfer

Charlton manager Alan Pardew has made plain his dismay at the sale of defender Madjid Bougherra to Rangers.

Bougherra joined the Glasgow club for £2.5 million, the same fee Charlton paid Sheffield Wednesday 18 months ago.

Pardew told BBC London 94.9: "It's a disappointment; you want your best players to stay. I think Madjid's only going to get better.

And he said it was not his decision. "It's disappointing but you have to manage the club as the board see fit."

Pardew continued: "He's a young centre-half with great technical ability and obviously very, very quick so that's a blow. We now have to make sure we're prepared for the start of the campaign."

Paddy McCarthy, Ben Thatcher, Chris Powell, Marcus Bent and Chris Iwelumo have all left the Valley this summer in addition to the departure of Bougherra.

Pardew said decisions have been forced upon him by circumstance. "The agenda that I was given this year was a bit of a shock to me, especially the financial situation we're in which wasn't made clear to me," he said.

"It means I've had to sell three or four players that I only signed last year."

Comments

• Options
    is pards going to walk?
  • Options
    Oh dear :(
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think Pards has been treated poorly. Lets hope the kids come up to scratch that all i can say.
  • Options
    because of what has happened he is under no pressure. If we do badly it's because he has sold players he wanted to keep. This won't harm his standing in the game and if we don't do well it won't reflect too badly on him. A few fans have said to me they reckon he will walk before long but I disagree. If another Club comes along then maybe but not otherwise. He's in a win-win situation.
  • Options
    Pardew: "It means I've had to sell three or four players that I only signed last year."

??

Paddy McCarthy, and Chris Iwelumo.

Who's the other 1/2?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]is pards going to walk?

Only if a premiership team come in for him- nothing new there.

He's positioning it that he hasn't been able to control his own squad so that if we don't "succeed" this season he's got a reason.

Nevertheless- he's only too well aware that the best thing for him careerwise is that we get promoted on the back of him "transforming" a squad of players brought in from the lower leagues. I share his wishes...
  • Options
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=32636&newstype=p

also reading between the lines on this one...
  • Options
    You have to say though, things have gone a bit pear-shaped lately.

I'm not saying it's there fault neccessarily, but are Waggot and Chappell up to the job?

Chappell's comments on the OS seem a bit odd.
    "If interest is shown in any of our players by other clubs, I'd like to get to a situation where the player isn't unsettled because he is enjoying his time at Charlton and wants to stay at the club, and from the club's point of view, we have a settled squad full of players who want to play for Charlton, share the club's ambitions and are not tempted to leave."

Someone better tell him it's all about £ these days
  • Options
    Or could it 'possibly' be that he's just telling it as it is!
  • Options
    "He's positioning it that he hasn't been able to control his own squad so that if we don't "succeed" this season he's got a reason."

I'd say if Pardew adopts that attitude, then we will fail.
    What sort of message does that send out to the players?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    he is positioning himself to jump if ---- thats if-- things go wrong.

"not my fault guv blah blah blah"

forgeting last year was mostly his fault and the board backed him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]I think Pards has been treated poorly. Lets hope the kids come up to scratch that all i can say.
    Agree on the second bit Pete but the first bit is rubbish. So far Pardew's handled the money he's been given very poorly indeed and has made some other pretty baffling decisions regarding players.

I find it hard to believe that the board didn't make him fully aware of the state of affairs when we neared relegation and that they haven't kept him in the loop along the way. In any case circumstances change and he has to live with it.
  • Options
    This is the sort of statement Pards has to make as a manager, he has to engineer a relationship with fans. If he made a statement saying he was happy to lose Madjid all would be up in arms about lack of managerial ambition!
  • Options
    bloody hell, what the F is going on!!!! somthing is not right here. Pards was over ruled with reidy and now he is having no say in who goes, for f sake board sort it out. at this rate we will have no bloody players left. Derek Chapple looks like bloody Ken Dood so we better check under his matress for all the money..
  • Options
    Major cracks appearing I would say.
  • Options
    I don't think that's the sort of statement Pard's has to make Thommo.

He certainly didn't have to say: "The agenda that I was given this year was a bit of a shock to me, especially the financial situation we're in which wasn't made clear to me," he said.
    "It means I've had to sell three or four players that I only signed last year."

A simple "MB wanted to play european football" would have done.

If it was a shock then I'd say it was something that came up after Chappell and Waggott took the reins. Obviously there's no proof of this and I could/probably am well wide of the mark. But it does make you wonder why things seems to be going sour.
  • Options
    Certainly adds some spice to Pardew’s surround-sound training session this arvo.

EXpect plenty of expletives!!
  • Options
    you only have to look at the Reid thing (sorry)

one minute its I've persuaded him to stay for a year as captain, next minute its, if he didn't go there would be further redundancies in the summer.. That is a huge shift.
  • Options
    actually i think i remember Murry saying at the shareholders meeting he would be "closer" to the budget re transfers etc in the new structure of the board. If thats the case i dont have a problem with it. Possibly a responce to the money pissed out the window in the Dowie disaster and Pards dealings last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Putting himself ahead of the bigger picture once again.

A lot of supporters have reluctantly accepted the situation, so why can't our manager roll his sleeves up and get on with the job in hand. Speaking out is never the right way of going about things and gives the impression purely of self-interest.

Please consider the next time you speak out Mr Pardew that part of the reason we have had such severe cutbacks is because you delivered the second best squad in the division last season to twelfth place.....
  • Options
    well, I applaud Mr Chappell for at last sticking his head above the parapet so that we can take pot shots at it. I'd rather he told us the truth than spin and this sounds like an honest assessment to me. It will be interesting to see what the 'in's' amount to though as he seems to be suggesting transfer fees will be involved.
  • Options
    Anyone going to Pards' Q&A before the game tomorrow? Could be interesting.
  • Options
    Compared to Watford we're in a very good position... they've sold a lot of players released a £3.5million striker on a free and stopped work on the stadium. They're also sueing the local newshopper equivalent for printing an article pointing out how bad a situation they are in.

Fact of the matter is by selling big players this year we will be competative the following season should we find ourselves in the Championship season 2009/10. Prudence by the board will be rewarded in the future. The only way we were ever going to hold onto last years squad was by going straight back up. West Brom were exactly the same when they didn't go up first time of asking having to sell the likes of Kamara, Koumas, Mcshane & Davis in their second season in the Championship
  • Options
    How he has the front to moan about players going after wasting what money he did spend last year on Players & Premier League Loan Rangers, virtually all of which flopped massively is beyond me. I will back him on Bougherra though, that is one player we should have tried to hold onto.
  • Options
    If things don't pan out well at the start of the season, I am sure a lot of people will come out with 'conspiracy' theories as to what is going on ... Pards had to sell against his wishes, why did Varney really go - we want the truth, why are we concentrating on getting finances straight and not buying, Anschutz/the Dome, etc etc etc.

Maybe there is something in this, but Pards comments just mean, as others have said, that he is trying to put himself in a win-win situation. If we fail, it's because the board did not give him the money, if we succeed, he is a genius to get us up on limited resources. What's new? Most managers do it.
  • Options
    Bougherra clearly wanted off, may not have been said in public, but the Chairmans comments clearly alude to that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Bougherra clearly wanted off, may not have been said in public, but the Chairmans comments clearly alude to that.

clearly it unsettled him but whether it would have come to a Parker situation we'll never know.
  • Options
    Yet another entry into the Pardew book of spin and buck passing - nothing more.
  • Options
    The sort of comment from pards that we didnt need to hear, we all know that he hasnt chose to sell Bougy or Reid last season.

IMO he is just lining up excuses if we were to fail or to get Muzza to release a few quid

its stuff like this that i dont like us doing, screams of an un united club at the top and if thats what we have heard then mark my words the players will have heard a diffrent grumbling to that.

Pards you said a 2 year plan put up or shut up imo

Majid wernt that great if he was we would have gone up last year move on FFS or just F off

and i like the fella