Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pards not happy - what is going on?!

Comments

• Options
    I'm not impressed - this sounds like someone trying to cover themselves; like has been said he's in a win/win situation.

But he shouldn't be speaking out in the first place - this kind of thing creates disunity.

And yes, last season you spent lots of money, got shed loads (far too many) of players in, made some baffling selection decisions and we had a shite season.

Grow a pair and take responsibility.

Anyway, it should be interesting to see what he says to people this afternoon/evening....
  • Options
    So Pards is frustrated ..... and he's not particularly bothered about hiding it.
    He's clearly unhappy.

He obviously knew that he was going to get rid of a bit of deadwood, and bring in fewer players but those that would make an impact during the course of a season - adding to and enhancing his team.

But what he is truly pissed off about is having to sell what he sees as cornerstones in his existing team.
    So would you be if you were a manager.

Trying to cover himself?
    Nobody ever makes excuses before the season has begun.
  • Options
    of course they do. He is giving himself an out if it all goes Pete Tong. Clearest thing and the only clear thing that has happened in the last few weeks.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Pardew said decisions have been forced upon him by circumstance. "The agenda that I was given this year was a bit of a shock to me, especially the financial situation we're in which wasn't made clear to me," he said.

"It means I've had to sell three or four players that I only signed last year."

That's the biggest load of b*llocks I've ever read and shows what a bubble he was living in last season.

Get back onto Youtube Alan and type in 'non-league ball-playing midfielder'
  • Options
    The broad backed him last season with loan signing and keeping the squad together. It didn't work so cuts have to be made.
  • Options
    Is anyone going this afternoon? Be interesting to see how Pardew handles it.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Didnt someone say about 5 months ago that some members of the board was not to impressed with Pards ??? Been an awful lot of managers we have had the last couple of years they cant be all bad can they ??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]The broad backed him last season with loan signing and keeping the squad together. It didn't work so cuts have to be made.

Simply put but almost certainly right.
  • Options
    I dont think its an excuse or cover up at all.

If this is supposed to be a 2 year plan (If thats what he said) then maybe he thought (or have been told) he would have a few quid at the start of the 2nd year, just to get told he has nothing might have upset him a bit.

I think Pards is relatively straight with what he says, we can only see in the future if he makes excuses IF things go tits up. But i generally think he is only expressing his anger in the way that he has had to sell some of our best players not to be able to replace simple as!!
  • Options
    Too true guiness.

He brought some players in who didn't deliver. That's not the board's fault.

And we aren't made of money and have to cope with the reality of surviving in the CCC and not going the way of so many other ex-premiership teams...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2008
    I agree with Oggy. Pards is clearly frustrated at seeing important players being sold and knowing that he will only be able to bring in cheap / free signings to replace them. He knows he now has a virtually impossible job in getting us promoted this year. I would be shocked if he wasn't frustrated. Whether he should be telling the world at large, however, is a different matter. The fact that he IS talking so much about it is probably a sign that he has had enough & wants other people to know. He'll be gone by Xmas, have no doubt.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Is anyone going this afternoon? Be interesting to see how Pardew handles it.
    It was this morning!
    They did about an hour. Very upbeat tone to Pards' interaction (though he did turn the mic off a couple of times!)

Nothing major to report, was just nice to get a little insight into how they prepare for a game.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    was Faye there ?
  • Options
    The BBC report is not Pards' full press briefing, which will appear on the main site this afternoon. They may have taken two comments which smack of frustration out of a largely upbeat conference for all we know. Mind you journos wouldn't do that would they?
    What did we expect him to say? If nothing, we'd have accused him of lack of interest or speculated that he could be on his way as he clearly doesn't have an opinion.

My natural spirit is a fighting one and that's why I fell in love with supporting Charlton when a neighbour took me to see them play at Smelhurst aged 15. Chips were down, squad was slim, quality may have actually been of a lesser standard than we have now, but the fans that travelled over every other week seemed unified to me and LL had the team fighting for every point - except Ralph Milne, who was sh*t. That sort of unity is required again and though opinions will always be divided, we should stand as one when we come to play against each and every CCC side this season, home or away, which includes getting behind Pards (and no I'm not on his pay oll). With all of the dead wood having been disposed of at last (well nearly) and a crop of youngsters coming through that have lived and breathed Charlton for years already, I think we should be looking more positively at things. I can't wait to see them in action tomorrow and even more so Saturday week, where I will sing my heart out, geting behind the team.
  • Options
    Yes - and training!
  • Options
    From this morning's session, looks like Wright/Racon/Shelvey beiong groomed as centre-mid. Faye actually looked and did quite good. Forwards being asked for greater mobility, Gray to drop deep to collect ball if necessary, and Hudson to Youga as usual out-ball.

They all looked quite sharp, and it was interesting to see the structure of the session. Disappointing, though, how few balls finished up in the net, even in the warm-up drills - so many chipped of screwed wide.

Looks like Rob Ellliot for for tomorrow, though Christie looks capable if small.
  • Options
    The audio is up on the os from this morning.

Pardew is glad he brought Hudson in when he did, otherwise the Board may have stopped that signing. He states some more players may leave, but said he now needs a centre half, a right back to cover moo2 and a centre mid.

Unlikely we may see any signings before next saturday, but is hopeful and will try to get players in before the end of august.

He hopes that the Board does want any players sold after august. ie: reidy.

He's excited about the youngsters, and says that Rob will be in goal tomorrow.
  • Options
    Was Toddy there?
  • Options
    People are going on like we have a 'Luton' type squad. I think we still have one of the best squads in the division and the fact that's it's a bit smaller is a positive in my eyes. A lot of people love Magic, can't say I am bothered either way, I've always liked Fortune and thought he was doing as well as anyone else before the Ipswich match which seems to have been his downfall. If he it's he and Hudson at the back I think that's a very decent pairing. For me it's all about the management getting the best out of the players...yes even faye....why not? We're paying enough for him! Have to read all Pardew's comments but it does smack a bit of making his excuses early he's bought in plenty of players in fact this time last year was an almost new team....are the board expected to do that each season? I'm definitely in the positve camp just hope our manager is.
  • Options
    Was Toddy there?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can fully sympathise with Pardews stance. He is clearly an ambitious manager who wants to succeed and in the space of eight months has seen his best players leave. I understand that any club has to cut its cloth accordingly but does anyone on here at the moment feel that we are "building" a side capable of challenging for promotion ? IMHO we appear to be dismantling one. FFS where has all the money gone ? Both Bent`s Reid, Bougherra, Diawarra, Iwelumo, McCarthy plus the two parachute payments. As the song goes - There may be trouble ahead ?
  • Options
    This is a big year for Pards.

A couple of seasons ago he'd turned around a situation at West Ham, got them promoted after they'd lost a raft of players. He took West Ham into Europe and an FA Cup Final then it started to go wrong. West Ham were in the relegation zone, he gets sacked, goes to Charlton, can't turn around the situation and we get relegated. Then another load of Premiership players are sold and he's not given funds to buy adequate replacements meaning gambles are taken on lower league players stepping up a division (or more). Now more players are being sold from underneath him - another poor season and any hope of a Premiership job if/when a prem manager gets the chop and his name won't be in the frame.
  • Options
    I daren't look at the 'Into The Valley' board...reames is probably going apoplectic!!!
  • Options
    "I daren't look at the 'Into The Valley' board...reames is probably going apoplectic!!! "

Hahaha
  • Options
    No Toddy, but Dicko came to sit on the bench late on, ice-pack strapped to leg. Weaver/Holland/Ambrose kept busy signing autographs.
  • Options
    Just seen this thread but can I say that AFKA's post is bang on.
  • Options
    Toddy came out afterwards and signed a few autographs
  • Options
    Personally i'd prefer to keep our better players but if the alternative is to go in administration i'm happy to pack a centre back off that was part of the 15th best defence in the division last season... Thats football, highs and lows.
  • Options
    Well said T
  • Options
    yes, AFKA hit the nail on the head.

I think Pards is being a bit disingenuous. He wasted a great opportunity last season, with a massive squad and no real team. He should know better than to speak out like that, after nuff spending last year. He's not posting on a forum.

He should concentrate on showing everyone what a good manager he is. If he is.