Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - Saturday 30th August 1986. Man Utd 0 Charlton 1

Comments

• great win and must have been amazing to have been there - I was at home as 10-year-old listening on the radio but as DaveMehmet says Utd in '86 weren't what they are today at all

the season before I think they won their first 11 games then fell away and only finished fifth or sixth
  • That was a bit special. After the tonking midweek at Forest (Robert Lee making sure he kept well clear of a certain Stuart Pearce after an early welcome), we feared the worst, but got the best. Johns was outstanding at times; one twist & tip over from a Robson header defied belief - certainly from Robson, who stared at him with what bordered on hatred before acknowledging the save. Just remember the old clock up at the Stretford End seeming to stop with about 10 mins left.
    We also started up "Atkinson Out" which the Utd. fans applauded before joining in! They got their wish and some other bloke took over.
  • I was there and enjoyed every moment
  • saw us get stuffed 4 nil on the Tuseday night at Notts Forest, went on to see Kent get hammered by Nottingham at Trent Bridge ( Sir Richard Hadley ) stayed in Nottingham train to Old Trafford. All round the stadium was like a bomb site. Thought we would get hammered ------------------ great day.
  • Amos on the wing etched himself into Charlton history that day.

It's all a bit blurry now thanks to passing time and excess alcohol, but:

1) Couldn't believe that back then after 22 years as a supporter, I was actually watching Charlton play a First Division (top-flight) match at Old Trafford.

2) Beyond my wildest most random expectations, we came away with a clean sheet, 3 points and a fuzzy warm glow of pride in our hearts!

3) Ron Atkinson was sacked straight after the match, bling and all. That shut the gobshite up.
  • edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]22 23 years ago, scary stuff...
    as a pessimistic 16 year old who had just seen us get battered at forest midweek(when i used to go to away games) i went to old trafford hoping we'd only lose 5-0 .
    unbelievable feeling winning at old trafford nearly as good as stuffing reading 4-2 orient 2-1 last week
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite][strike]22[/strike]23 years ago, scary stuff...
    as a pessimistic 16 year old who had just seen us get battered at forest midweek(when i used to go to away games) i went to old trafford hoping we'd only lose 5-0 .
    unbelievable feeling winning at old trafford nearly as good as stuffing[strike]reading 4-2[/strike]orient 2-1 last week

And amazingly we won at Old Trafford without Curbs as manager.

Come to think of it, we never ever won at Old Trafford with Curbs as manager.
    And he had enough goes at it.

*huge smiley winky thing, Oooh Aagh! *
  • I was there on route home from holiday in Scotland. Drove from Edinburgh to Manchester, left my wife in the car on Trafford Park Industrial Estate, guarding the cases on the roof-rack and finishing her book. I sat in the family stand with our 3 kids then aged 12, 10 and 8. When Stuart scored the four of us rose in amazement and cheered among the glum looking MU families. Then when it was all over I drove back home with 3 happy sleepy children in the back.

It was a good day but not as good as when we hammered MU 3-0 at The Valley on my birthday in the mid 50s!
  • never came close to winning at OT under Curbs did we?

only one missing as we won everywhere else under the great one

think Curbs was rather in awe of Sir Alex so always set up his teams for limitation damage and was happy to escape with a defeat that wasn't too demoralising or sneak a draw if things went beyond expectation
  • 3) Ron Atkinson was sacked straight after the match, bling and all. That shut the gobshite up.

Sadly it didn't...
  • Sponsored links:

• Wasd this the last time we beat Man U then dont remember us beatiung them in my life time if we did i certainly did not go?
  • [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Wasd this the last time we beat Man U then dont remember us beatiung them in my life time if we did i certainly did not go?

Not quite. http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=6553&page=1#Item_13
  • Cracking day out, think I got the train as remember as stone pointed out it dropped us off by the cricket ground and had to walk up from there. Apart from the goal and the Atkinson out we started it is sadly too many pints ago to remember too many details.
  • 12 years old and was in dream land.

Mark Stuart became god in my eyes.

Nearly didn't go as my mates dad had driven us to Forest and was really not interested. Took some serious badgering.
  • Remember it well: we got back to the car just in time to hear Stuart Hall say in his inimitable style 'Today football has been shaken to its very roots as United lose to the Athletic of Charlton'. Great day, journey home took no time!
  • Forest on Wednesday evening 4-0 defeat come Saturday what a turn-around 1-0 win at MAN UTD.Went to both games.Not in my wildest dreams that result.THIRD LONDON CLUB TOO TURN - OVER MAN U that season,only played three games and bottom of the league.Goodbye BIG RON and say HELLO TO ALEX.
  • Supporters club football team played in the first team kit from that season. Mr Yarnton dug it out of the depths at Sparrows for us to play in it.
    Mark Stuart! Why was he called Amos? Great day out, I remember thinking that the Stretford end was pretty lame and that they were really quiet, little did I know how quiet all the big grounds were and are.
    Took til going to Wednesday and Villa to feel the noise. Spion Kop and Holt ends at them two were amazing to watch with crowd swaying and surging over them.
  • Happy days......
  • I was on holiday in Spain; I would have been there as my brother lives in Altrincham.
    I was really disappointed to miss it, but delighted with the win.
    We beat them 2-0 at "home" at Selhurst didn't we, Willo scored both?

Long time ago...I've got "Home & Away" but can't be bothered to look it up
  • I think we beat them twice at home and once away in those 4 years in top flight, plus a couple of draws.

I thought that 86/7 season would be our one and only appearance in the top flight so I went to as many away games as I could, Man U being the first. Didn't expect for a moment that we'd win. Great day. Did Man U a favour though because Atko got the bullet and Fergie came in.
  • Sponsored links:

• All aboard the skylark!
  • I was at East Stirling that day as they were playing my beloved Cowdenbeath....I asked a guy who was listening to the scores on the radio how were Charlton doing.....several minutes later he came over and asked whether i was asking about the Charlton score, i said i was to which he said your winning 1-0. Of course by the time i got back to the car i thought we would lose but we didnt. Great night out followed in falkirk with my ex. Cowden also won.
  • As usual the Programme can be seen here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/9625465459

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • edited August 2013
    This was one of my best away days.I think it is the reason why I love Old Trafford.

It was our third game in the old First Division the previous Tuesday we had been stuffed at Forest,so although Old Trafford was far from being a fortress in the pre Fergie era it was with some trepidation that we travelled north.The equivalent in today's football would be playing somewhere like Everton or Liverpool.

I remember on our train we met some cockney reds ( London based Utd fans ) ,they tried to convince us that we could win whilst we reassured them that the best we could aspire to was a draw.

In those days pre Metro link central Manchester was virtually deserted and we drank around Piccadilly. We got an overground train around 2ish to Warwick Road station next to the Cricket Ground and walked to the Theatre of Dreams,I vaguely remember the locals complaining that United's gates were regularly under 40,000 for the first time in living memory.

As for the game we all were just happy at half time just to be drawing 0-0 and when Mark Stuart scored we were in dreamland.

It was the first proper airing of the Yippee I Ohh chant ( although I do remember a few lonely souls who were clearly the worst for wear singing it at the City Ground earlier that week ). It seemed to be the appropriate chant every time we repelled another wave of United pressure.

After the game we celebrated in Altrincham and journeyed back to the City Centre in time for the much missed after midnight train which because of engineering works always took us all around the Midlands and nearly into north Wales before six hours later arriving at Euston.

Has anyone got any video footage of this game? I remember United boasting in their programme that all of the games were filmed but as far as I know this tape never became available.

BTW contrary to what some have said this was not Atkinson's swan song ,Fergie did not arrive at United for around another six weeks.
  • My mate bought the match tape. Poor quality and no commentary. A great day out and as previously mentioned a real "I was there" moment.

Apart from the goal just remember some drunks around me constantly slurring the "Yippee I Ay" song in my ear'ole!
  • I was there. It was a complete shock as I'd been to Forest for the midweek game and we'd got thumped 4-0.

Coming away from Old Trafford after the win I finally thought we're in the big time.

Snap!
    Was at both games....after Forest thrashing I thought we were doomed and dreading the (already paid for) trip to Old Trafford! However, still went as wasn't sure when I would next be able to see little ol' Charlton play there! Great day out, but as others have stated, recall the actual match being a dull affair....apart from Amos' goal.
    Dennis was in fine form on the train on journey home.

• Mark Stuart! Why was he called Amos?

I believe it was his nickname given to him by the rest of the players, and linked to him having sideburns like Amos Brearly on Emmerdale (Farm).

• same also saw Kent get beaten in two days by Nots. Sir Richard Hadley doing the biz.
  • I was 16 and was (maybe obviously) my first visit to Old Trafford.

My friend and I had been on a trip to Snowdonia with my parents. On the way back they dropped us at Shrewsbury and we got a train from there.

That's pretty much all I remember apart from being really excited (although they weren't fantastic back in those days), can't even remember how we got back to London :(

• Was here twice in a week. Saw west ham beat them on the bank holiday monday 4/3 with a frank macaveny hatrick.laughed that it would doubtful if we would repeat the feat.history shows we did great week.