Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gurkhas

edited September 2008 in Not Sports Related
Did anyone else see Joanna Lumley on BBC this morning campaigning for the Gurkhas?

Talk about a story to make your blood boil.

I only caught a bit of it but it seems that Gurkhas who served before 1997 are being refused citizenship over here.
She had a Gurkha with her who had served for 24 years and had numerous medals, he was finding out today if he was going to be deported!

WTF?!!!

We've got wronguns over here like that hook handed cleric guy who we can't seem to get rid of and at the same time we're booting out people who have fought for our country!

Why do the power that be always seem to get it so wrong and be so out of touch with what normal people want?

Rant over.

Comments

• Options
    Fair point/well made.

If you've risked your life for this country, for little reward then surely you deserve the warmest welcome and deepest thanks?
  • Options
    always the same here though isnt it. When Hong Kong was being turned back to a communist empire we could have brought in hundreds and hundreds of very skilled (all areas) of people who were UK passport holders. We then said we wasnt letting them come. Many went to Aussie and Canada. Eventually we said ok they can come what we got was an awfull lot of peeps that can from the triads etc etc etc.

Was proud that the Gurkhas took part in the March for England. An honour that they were there. Was great to see a cheque handed over to their benevolent Society for a few hundred quid as well. The masses see these people as heros HM Gov dont give a sh*t.
  • Options
    Got a Gurkha security guard at work and could ask for a nicer bloke but when you look in his eyes he has that underlying look of don't f**** with me.

It's astonishing how they are being treated yet Abu Hamza has his ass wiped for him in prison.
  • Options
    Is there anyway / how can we "support" these guys ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]Is there anyway / how can we "support" these guys ?

There was a march today...

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hqQwZ7mUoDYfJT-i0c2v1w_8h7qw
  • Options
    A terrible situation IMHO...
  • Options
    They are astonishing people and it is outrageous that the government are even contemplating sending them back. Why oh why we put up with accepting the absolute dregs of society who have not given one ounce of benefit to this country yet we are prepared cast away these great men is beyond me.

I remember going on a cadet exercise down in Folkestone a few years ago and I saw around twenty of them playing football on a small patch of grass. Interestingly all of them were wearing their burgens (big back packs) and I managed to find out later on that they also stuffed a few bricks in their bags whilst having a kickabout!! They all seem to be about 5ft 5 but absolutely hard as nails. They have fantastic traditions and culture, and are hugely respectful people.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I salute them..........and quite honestly feel embarrassed by the whole situation (as an englishman)

WOT A JOKE!!
  • Options
    This situation is disgraceful.

The Ghurkas are a fine bunch (quite possibly the best soldiers in the world - I have heard many anecdotes to this effect) who have served our country brilliantly over the years. To think of some of the sponging, criminal scum that we let in - to not give the Ghurkas citizenship is obscene.

Where can we voice our protest?
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    They used to be stationed at The Queen Elizabeth Barracks in Crookham (just outside Aldershot)....they were highly respected in the area...never gave a moments trouble to the locals in the town and were never picked on in any shape or form by other squaddies or local yoof, they commanded total and I do mean total respect....they would always come into town wearing a blazer with shirt and tie, grey trousers and highly polished shoes...a lovely bunch of blokes but hard as nails as has already been stated.The local populus were genuinely gutted when they left for pastures new.
    One of the reasons being given is that they had 'little or no identity with this country'.....somewhat like the countless thousands of Pakistanis,Nigerians or Somalians for example that have come here in their countless thousands in recent years....what a lame fooking excuse....those responsible for this outrage need their arses kicked from here to Christmas time but you'll not find the feckers as they are no doubt tucked away in some Whitehall backwater sipping Earl Grey and dunking Butter Osbornes!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    another labour government balls up...
  • Options
    An article in todays Telegraph says that members of the armed forces resigned last year over pay and conditions. We might need more Gurkhas.

I with everyone, time we treated the Gurkas well - Amdy Faye will get a UK passport after playing football (badly) for 5 years - why not a Gurkha who has spent 5 years or more in the British Army?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]always the same here though isnt it. When Hong Kong was being turned back to a communist empire we could have brought in hundreds and hundreds of very skilled (all areas) of people who were UK passport holders. We then said we wasnt letting them come. Many went to Aussie and Canada. Eventually we said ok they can come what we got was an awfull lot of peeps that can from the triads etc etc etc.

Was proud that the Gurkhas took part in the March for England. An honour that they were there. Was great to see a cheque handed over to their benevolent Society for a few hundred quid as well. The masses see these people as heros HM Gov dont give a sh*t.

Agreed mate, proud to march alongside them, its a bloody disgrace the way they are treated, this, and past governments and whitehall numpties who make these decisions should hang their heads in shame.

These people have more pride, dignity, honour and loyalty than a boat load of asylum seeking scum who will turn into benefit scammers and knife merchants.

Rant over
  • Options
    This situation is an absolute scandal and reflects badly on our country generally and on our government specifically. I doubt there is one person in the country who knows the Gurkas story who would not support their cause. I cannot understand why Gordon Brown's moral compass is pointing in the wrong direction.

It makes my blood boil. If I was in London yesterday, I'd have been up there protesting with them.
  • Options
    Bump.

I refer to my comments posted above. Absolutely shameful disgusting treatment of true heros for our country. Some retired Gurkhas who have won the Victoria Cross fighting for our county have not been given the right to live here.

In France, every person who completes their time in the French Foreign Legion automatically gets French Citizenship.

Over here the Gurkhas have been cheated of the right of abode or more properly, to become British Citizens. The Government have had the chance to right this wrong for all Gurkhas, not just those who've served in recent years. They have completely flunked it.

There cannot be any justification for this failure.
  • Options
    What was the annoucement today? Half heard it on the car radio just now.

4000 can live here but campaigners said it wasn't enough?
  • Options
    From the Standard:

Campaigners have condemned new rules giving more Gurkhas the right to live in Britain as a "disgrace".

Immigration Minister Phil Woolas said the changes would allow around 4,300 more former Gurkhas to settle in the country out of the 36,000 who served in the British Army before July 1997.

But supporters of the Gurkhas' campaign attacked the new criteria as "unattainable", with actress Joanna Lumley saying she felt "ashamed" of the Government.

Ragprasad Purja, 43, served with the Gurkhas for 17 years.

He said: "It is the saddest day for the Gurkhas and the saddest day for the British Government. I cannot believe that this Government made such a decision. I was proud of my service but now I am very sad."

Mr Purja, who was discharged after 1997, said he would continue campaigning for the former Gurkha soldiers who have been refused permission to settle in the UK.

"It's not justice, so we'll keep on fighting," he said.

David Enright, of Howe and Co solicitors, said: "They have set criteria that are unattainable. They require a Gurkha to serve for 20 years but a rifleman is only permitted to serve for 15 years. It's a sham and an absolute disgrace. It's far more restrictive than the old policy."

Mr Woolas said it was "simply not true" that the Government had betrayed the Gurkhas.

He told the BBC: "What we've done today is to allow even more people in without setting a precedent that would create a massive pressure in my view on the immigration service, which I don't think the public would want me to grant."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]Got a Gurkha security guard at work and could ask for a nicer bloke but when you look in his eyes he has that underlying look of don't f**** with me.

It's astonishing how they are being treated yet Abu Hamza has his ass wiped for him in prison.

Ha ha ha Unless he has his claw let him do it himself actually on second thought.
  • Options
    Agreed, if ever there was a clearer indication of just how far out of step with popular opinion and wishes I don't know it. Isn't it 20 years service a serious disablity or having won a medal for bravery the criteria they've annouced. Hmm...not wishing to get all Daily Mail but which one of those appplies to the 100's pouring into this country from Somalia, etc.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hey, this is not a particularly anti Labour point because successive governments have failed the Gurkhas but this Government had an opportunity to do something which is just the right thing to do, and supported by the overwhelming majority of the British people. Instead they've come up with a sham of a policy that doesn't meet the basic obligations this country owes to the fantastic Gurkha soldiers who have served our country with huge distinction.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A terrible slap in the face for people who have served and fought for the country

So even if all 36,000 and their families wanted to settle here (which I doubt) why should that be such as burden. They are disciplined and hard working or wouldn't have lasted very long in the regiment.

And if they were give a full pension they would more than likely stay in Nepal in any case where they would have a relatively high income.

If I remember rightly at the time this was done to prevent the predicted mass immigration from Hong Kong post handover. Still doesn't make it valid in my eyes
  • Options
    I think the press are just about to locate the tip of a particular immigration iceberg, by estimating how many students have been granted visas to come here then disappeared. This was happening 15 years ago at established universities and nothing was done about it, ever. Then sham colleges began to be set up expressly to get 'students' into the country and it has been happening steadily ever since. This has now only become an issue due to terrorism and recent cases involving disappeared Pakistani students but it has been always been the case. No wonder this country is so f*cking overcrowded.

When someone gets around to guessing at the figures we could be looking at hundreds and thousands of illegal immigrants that the government can't be arsed to find and deport.

But someone who has faced death to fight for our freedoms even though they don't even come from the UK? They will find them and (at least try - you wouldn't find me messing with a Ghurka) deport them after todays decision. There's gratitude for you.

But would you expect our present government to behave in anything other than a despicable fashion these days? Thought not.
  • Options
    This fuking government is shit what with Ollies thread the other day and now this i am really fuming, I heard some french twat saying that they may remove their border control and let the illegals camped up near calais straight onto or shores, then what

we will house them and give them a benefit system and turn our own people away it is a fecking disgrace
  • Options
    I live near folkestone where they are now based and you would not meet a nicer more polite and hard working bunch of people, so I can see why this government would not want them, they would not be dependent on the state so would not be labour voters. They have a good impact on all areas of the community, in particular they have improved the local schools as their children are so well behaved and dilligent. These are just the sort of people who we should welcome with open arms and would be a benefit to the country. Though I agree that this should of been done a long time ago by governments of a different colour and don't completely blame this govt. Just wish they would stop dragging their feet and give them the respect they deserve as they seem to allow all sorts of scum in who have done and will do nothing for this country.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    To me this is not about contrasting Gurkhas with other foreign nationals who have been allowed to stay in our country. Each must be judged on their own merit. It is essentially about what is morally right. These soldiers are the survivors of those who fought and gave their lives for our country and they should be afforded the right to live here and be British citizens.
  • Options
    You are right Bing, the gurkhas and others who fought for this country can stay, the others can do one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]To me this is not about contrasting Gurkhas with other foreign nationals who have been allowed to stay in our country. Each must be judged on their own merit. It is essentially about what is morally right. These soldiers are the survivors of those who fought and gave their lives for our country and they should be afforded the right to live here and be British citizens.

Hear, Hear.

Bing for PM
  • Options
    Step forward the Royal Family...I'd really like to see them speak out for once....though understandably they are and always will be reluctant to get involved in governmental decisions.
    I believe the Queen, in her capacity as Chief of the Armed Forces(or whatever it is), can actually veto this if she wishes...though I'm not certain of that.
    Anyway oneway or another they need to speak out and sort this one out and I believe they can...the government would be shocked rigid if Liz spat her dummy out over this and I hope she will.
  • Options
    SoundAs, great comment. Sadly if the Queen spoke up against the government given their paranoia at being criticised they'd probably take away her right to live here and send her back to Germany.......
  • Options
    It's absolutely typical of what is totally wrong with the country.

We allow the dregs of former Communist nations almost carte blanche to abuse our social security system yet
    penalise those who have , over 300 years helped to create our democratic freedom.