Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gurkhas

Comments

• Options
    I thought that this done and dusted when the High Court ruling said they were legally entitled to stay. It would seem the entire nation is behind them. C'mon Cameron, show us what you're made of, why the deafening silence?
  • Options
    No matter how much she might like to intervene - the Queen cannot get involved and she has the sense to realise it.

Quite right too.

Nice to hear Mr Dowman echoing what many have said about the calibre of these people. They would bring a lot to this country and we should welcome their kind with open arms.

Plus, we will always be in their debt. Look at Ghurka involvement in any conflict in the last 100 or so years and you will see the vital role they played and their almost superhuman achievements in the field.
  • Options
    "the dregs of former communist nations"? as far as i can see, those 'dregs' come here, work hard and behave well.

agree about the gurkhas though, the whole affair is an absolute disgrace.
  • Options
    As one who served in The Brigade of Gurkhas for my time in the Army I cannot imagine a finer group of men and their families.
    From duties during the Seoul Olympics, to time in Hong Kong and Brunei, I can only remember them attracting praise for their professionalism, good humour and faultless discipline. In their UK base, Church Crookham their exceptionally high personal standards have also won them many, many friends. With this background, plus the roll of honour symbolised by the incredible list of VC winners as well as the tiny numbers we are talking about when looking at UK immigration it is nothing short of a national disgrace. Why good men should be treated so shabbily by the British is a mystery. I am thoroughly ashamed by this, and find it impossible to explain to my former comrades. Disgraceful and another step down into the sewers of international standing by this country.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: A-R-T-H-U-R[/cite]As one who served in The Brigade of Gurkhas for my time in the Army I cannot imagine a finer group of men and their families.
    From duties during the Seoul Olympics, to time in Hong Kong and Brunei, I can only remember them attracting praise for their professionalism, good humour and faultless discipline. In their UK base, Church Crookham their exceptionally high personal standards have also won them many, many friends. With this background, plus the roll of honour symbolised by the incredible list of VC winners as well as the tiny numbers we are talking about when looking at UK immigration it is nothing short of a national disgrace. Why good men should be treated so shabbily by the British is a mystery. I am thoroughly ashamed by this, and find it impossible to explain to my former comrades. Disgraceful and another step down into the sewers of international standing by this country.

Arthur that's a fantastic post from one who knows. I agree 100% with everything you say. It's utterly shameful.
  • Options
    From Joanna Lumley: Thank you so much for your support of the Gurkha Justice campaign. We are overwhelmed by the support the campaign is receiving.

As you may know, on Friday, the Government badly let down the Gurkhas. The new rules they have announced will exclude the huge majority of ex-Gurkhas who retired before 1997 from claiming citizenship in this country. They've given five bullet points that virtually cannot be met by the ordinary Gurkha soldier.

It is so obvious that the treatment of the Gurkhas has been a great injustice. To treat them like this is despicable.

The strong reaction by the public and press should show the Government that they simply cannot get away with this outrage.

I'm ashamed of our adminstration. We will be challenging this decision in the courts and in Parliament. We will not stop now.

This is not a party political campaign: it's simply one for justice. I am so grateful though for immediate support from MPs from all Parties, including amongst others Conservative leader David Cameron and Lib Dem Leader Nick Clegg.

Nick Clegg has agreed to put a vote to Parliament this Wednesday calling for a fair deal for Gurkhas. This vote on its own won't change the Government's ruling, but would be an overwhelming signal to the Government that they need to think again.

We need all MPs that support the Gurkha justice cause to turn up and vote for a proper deal for Gurkhas on Wednesday. Can I ask that you take a couple of minutes right now to ask your MP to do so?

You can send a message to your MP directly at www.theyworkforyou.com - please ask them to support the Gurkha Justice motion on Wednesday.

On Wednesday, there will also be a Gurkha Justice rally and protest against the Government's decision, starting at noon in Old Palace Yard, Westminster. Many MPs have already committed to support the vote and join me and others at the rally. I know it's awfully short notice, but if you can, please do come along as well to add your support.

If you can pass on this message to others as well that would be fabulous - and if they sign up to www.gurkhajustice.org.uk we can keep in touch with them directly in future.

Lastly, again, thank you so much for your support. It means so much to us. I spoke today to Lt Madan Kumar Gurung, who has been at the forefront of the campaign since it began. He said to me that he has no fear for the Gurkhas any more, as he knows the loving hearts of the British people will not let them down. With your support we won't.

With warmest good wishes,

Joanna
    www.gurkhajustice.org.uk

This message has been sent to those who have signed up for the Gurkha Justice campaign by signing at www.gurkhajustice.org.uk or on a printed petition for supplying your email address. You can opt-out of further correspondence from the campaign at any time by email to optout@gurkhajustice.org.uk

Some people we probably owe a debt to? :
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090429/tuk-last-tommy-portrait-revealed-6323e80.html
  • Options
    Get on their and sign up people, these guys need our help, and we ALL owe them a massive debt, every single last man, woman & child walking the streets of this great & free country.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Done
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Done
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Phil Woolas is a grade A cock and his comments are vile, it show's what a fantasy land this 'government' live in. I think it is their agenda to get as many scumbags in as possible to further denigrate the nation and keep out the highly deserving cases like the Gurkha's who we should all be very proud of by LAW!
    If these brave men knew what kind of country this was about to become under the present "leaders" they would have felt extremely sad and probably thought it not worth fighting for which is to the labour party's eternal shame. God bless the Gurkha's and God bless Joanna Lumley for being a thorn in this governments' side!

Already done!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]I think it is this governments' agenda to get as many scumbags in as possible to further denigrate the nation and keep out the highly deserving cases like the Gurkha's who if they knew back in the war what kind of country the Uk would be under the present "leaders" probably wouldn't even have bothered fighting for it. God bless the Gurkha's and God bless Joanna Lumley for being a thorn in this governments' side!

Already done!

Agreed, all the lowlifes that they let in will receive handouts, will be natural Labour voters.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Da9 preserves the original intent of my initial statement, and then I go and edit it for 30% more acidity (particlarly aimed at the idiot Woolas)!
    I stand by them both! (and agree with Da9) This issue as you probably can guess vexes me most intensely.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Da9 preserves the original intent of my initial statement, and then I go and edit it for 30% more acidity (particlarly aimed at the idiot Woolas)!
    I stand by them both! (and agree with Da9) This issue as you probably can guess vexes me most intensely.

We both fella, we both, my blood boils every time I discuss it, it must be one of the only times in my life that I can honestly say that I felt ashamed to be British after hearing the decision, and trust me that hurts saying that and almost brings me to tears.
  • Options
    Gordon Brown definately hate's being British as indeed must the idiot Woolas!
  • Options
    Done.
  • Options
    Gordon Brown suffers a symbolic defeat as MPs vote to give all Gurkha soldiers equal right of residence in Britain.
  • Options
    A Liberal Democrat motion - not binding on the Government - was supported by
    267 to 246, a majority of 21.

It came only hours after he explained ministers' position that the right of residence should be restricted for Gurkhas who quit the service before 1997.

Sky's chief political correspondent Jon Craig said: "This is an embarrassing and humiliating defeat for the Government and a great victory for the Gurkhas and those campaigning on their behalf."

Actress Joanna Lumley, who is a high profile campaigner on behalf of the Gurkhas, said: "I cannot tell you the sense of elation and pride in our country, in the democratic system, in our parliament."

Asked if she was confident the Government would now change its policy, Ms Lumley said: "I told Gordon Brown a year ago that this was wrong and they have to change it.

"They have been stonewalling and wriggling out of it.

"We stood on the steps of the High Court when the judgment came out and all hopes were raised and still they wriggled out of it.

"But now they have a vote from MPs from all parties saying you have got to change this, think again, this is wrong. They will have to change it and fast."

Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg championed the Gurkhas' cause and was joined by Tory leader David Cameron in opposing the Government.

Mr Clegg said after the vote that it had been "a victory for fairness and decency in this country".

Mr Cameron added: "Today is an historic day when Parliament took the right decision.

"The Government now have got to come back with immediate proposals."
  • Options
    Well perhaps, maybe, at long last, the real debt this country owes to these wonderful soldiers may finally be close to being paid. Well done to all those who voted with their conscience against the government line.
  • Options
    Nothing to add except - Signed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Well perhaps, maybe, at long last, the real debt this country owes to these wonderful soldiers may finally be close to being paid. Well done to all those who voted with their conscience against the government line.

What bing said
  • Options
    Wonderful piece of news...they are a very fine bunch of well disciplined,polite and loyal men who deserve a permanent place in our society (together with their families), if they wish to live here.
    I'm delighted.
  • Options
    I'm tempted to bump up the "good news" thread in response. At last our elected members have seen sense and done the right thing for the Gurkhas, their families and us.
  • Options
    A victory for decency and common courtesy. A defeat for a clueless and bewildered dying government that has lost it's way and a Prime minister not worthy of office. Long live the Great Gurkha's and long live Joanna Lumley. Something great about Britain at last!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]A victory for decency and common courtesy. A defeat for a clueless and bewildered dying government that has lost it's way and a Prime minister not worthy of office. Long live the Great Gurkha's and long live Joanna Lumley. Something great about Britain at last!!!

Thats how I feel. I have been ashamed at the way that this country had not done the right thing for the Gurkhas. I am pleased that MPs have finally put party politics aside and sent a resounding "you have our nations appreciation" to the Gurkhas.

Hang your head in shame, Messers Brown, Woolas etc who allowed themselves to get on the wrong side of this.
  • Options
    GET IN THERE! That's a victory for right minded people?!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Despite my elation at the 'victory', I fear that all is not yet over. The realities also have to be faced. We are apparently looking at giving citizenship to 36,000 people at an annual cost of £1.4 billion. It really is a massive sum of money in what is already a disastrous economic climate. That does pose a problem for a government of whatever colour.
  • Options
    As happy as I am, and it does send the right message on how the majority of us feel about this,this vote is not a legal vote, the Government can still ignore it if they choose to do so, and we all know how bloody minded they can be.

Get your finger out your arse Brown, you sour faced monkfish and do the right thing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]Despite my elation at the 'victory', I fear that all is not yet over. The realities also have to be faced. We are apparently looking at giving citizenship to 36,000 people at an annual cost of £1.4 billion. It really is a massive sum of money in what is already a disastrous economic climate. That does pose a problem for a government of whatever colour.

Is it certain that all those who can (36,000 supposedly) will want to take up the offer?
  • Options
    By no means, but they will be entitled to British rate pensions. The current argument is that living in Nepal is considerably cheaper and the pensions they currently receive are considered pro rata with the British ones.