Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gurkhas

124»

Comments

• Options
    Good to see so many positive comments and attitudes amongst the Charlton Lifers.
    JL has been magnificent, though many of the boys cant understand why she is helping them so much, they are aware of the warmth of the general public - which is a great help.
    For those who want a little background
    http://www.army.mod.uk/7565.aspx
    or a brief summary from the BBC
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2786991.stm
  • Options
    Not going against the grain of sentiment here but I do think a valid point was made on Question Time last night about breaking the tradition that the Ghurkas return to Nepal is fundamental to the process and the high status they have in their own country. We dont want to destroy or undermine what has worked so well for so many years.

I dont have a problem with 36,000 ghurkas turning up here tomorrow if they wanted to but it would fundamentally change the whole way the Ghurkas are viewed both here and in Nepal.

My approach would be for the Home Office to make an allocation of say 5000 and then to pass the power to an independent panel of retired Ghurka commanders (or such other persons as appropriate to the Ghurkas themselves to determine each case).

Just think there is a better way for this to be handled by those closer to the sensitivity of each case.
  • Options
    Yes The Tories did naff all as well but this Labour rabble have been in power for 10+ years and done what re this ? blaming The Tories plzzzzzzzzzzz naff off.

As for saying "to many Ghurkas will come" previously they told us it was far right BS that when our borders opened we would be overwelmed and only 6,000 would come from Poland ,Bulgaria, Rumania etc etc -------------- that/this is the one statement truely makes my blood boil.
    On their (HM Gov) proposals Ghurkas reps said only 100 would qualify------------ yet 2million came when our borders opened re new EU people----------------------so who would you trust re any stats re migration or imigration ?

If you serve 5 years with The Forign Legion then you are entitled to receive a French passport. HM Gov should give full rights and payments to those who fight and fought for the rights that our so called PMs hold dear (not their expence forms)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]HM Gov should give full rights and payments to those who fight and fought for the rights that our so called PMs hold dear (not their expence forms)

Mate, you remember that parade in Brighton, a nicer, more proud & friendly group of people you would struggle to meet.
    They have more integrity, loyalty and honour in one little toe than the whole of the cabinet & government together.
  • Options
    yes mate an HONOUR to walk in same parade as them.

integrity---loyalty----honour o dear o dear o dear things that HM Gov no nothing about at all.
  • Options
    One of the four soldiers killed in Afghanistan on thursday was named as Cpl. Kumar Pun, from the 1st Battalion The Royal Gurkha Rifles, he was prepared like many before him he was prepared to serve this country. How long before our government does the right thing and treats these people with the respect they deserve.
  • Options
    As the wife of someone who served in the Falklands war, I find it utterly despicable that these men are having to fight in order to stay in the country they put their lives on the line for - disgusting!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I am beginning to think that the Gurkha arrangement isnt sustainable in the longer term.

Its origins are of a completely different era and of a time that is now past.

We are no longer an Imperial power and the The British Army should fight for the defence of Britain and British causes and comprise of British people.
  • Options
    20% of the Army come from the Commonwealth.Has nothing to do with being a former Imperial power .
  • Options
    Its nearer 10%. And I believe they dont have the right to residence here either.

I would welcome them all here (commonwealth service personnel as well) for the reasons that have been stated above.

My concern is that I wouldnt want to break with what has been a long tradition of the Gurkhas returning to their homeland as heroes and within that environment provided for and relatively 'well off'. So just feel there should be a process that focuses more on that side of the issue.

If a high proportion of newly recruited gurkhas settle in this country it will ultimately dissipate the impact they have in their own country over time. But we should give them the choice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely you are missing the point. The vast majority wont settle in the UK, some want to, the most important thing is they should be given the right having fought for our country. Don't look any further than that for a reason.
  • Options
    So if 10% or 20% of the British Army is composed of recruits from Commonwealth countries we should offer them the same package too.

But in terms of the Gurkhas it will change the dynamics of the recruitment process. Signing up will now entitle them to UK citizenship/residency and the associated benefits. That changes the position in Nepal. It will also change them from being 'cheap' recruits to 'expensive' ones in terms of settlement in the UK. For a military with a restricted budget that may become a problem.

I dont trust politicians so once Gurkhas become potentially more expensive to support than a British resident or other Commonwealth recruit I can see it as a way of doing away with Gurkha recruitment at some stage.

And that would be a bigger tragedy.
  • Options
    It seems that victory has been achieved!! Fantastic news, long overdue, Joanna Lumley has played a blinder.

BBC Link
  • Options
    Great news.

About time but it's happened and has showed that public pressure can change govt minds. Will be interesting to see how many do settle in the UK.

However the cynic is me thinks it's only so the MPs can recruit the ex-Gurkas to guard their moats and 2nd homes : - )
  • Options
    YES!
    Just result.
    Shame it took a minor celeb to spearhead justice, but the girl done good!
    Great to see them giving Gordon Brown 'three cheers' - as they are unfamiliar with sarcasm it was a fine gesture (I cant spell magnanamous)

In Brunei Henry the Sultan (ex Sandhurst) employs them to guard his oil, gas, telecomms and other key infrastrucure points, preferring them to his own Army
  • Options
    Yup! It's amazing what a government up to it's neck in the sh*t will do to win votes.
    Of course they could have done it months, even years ago...................

Before you start: i support the right of Gurkhas to come here. It's the scum in Westminster who i can't abide.