Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite Beer

Comments

• Options
    guiness
  • Options
    Guinness pulled from the pump in Ireland.

Absolutely no comparison in England - and virtually a different beer from the 'creamy non-real Guinness' pish
    that's served as a draught Guinness here.

That doesn't mean I won't drink it, sometimes - you know that feeling when you walk into a pub and look at the bar, and all they've got is over-hyped, extra-cold chemical lagers and a fizzy bitter.

'Extra-cold' ...... they promote it as a benefit, LMFAO !
    The colder the beer, the less you can actually taste it. Just as well, it's virtually undrinkable otherwise.

My tipple is usually non-gassy beers from the pump, especially malty, hoppy bitters.
    Currently, I'm drinking mostly the guest ale in my village pub - Otter, from the Ottery St Mary Brewery in Devon.
  • Options
    My usual favourite is draught London Pride.

However, at a Bexleyheath CAMRA festival I once had a pint of Meantime IPA, and it was wonderful, probably my best pint ever.
    At 7% alcohol, it's probably just as well they had run out when I went back for seconds.

And this week I'm going on one of their brewery tours and beer tastings. I can't wait. The brewery is only about 100 yards from the Valley, and I believe the owner is a Charlton fan.

For bottled beers, the Belgians rule, although I have recently discovered that some British bottle conditioned beers can be very good.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite] Unfortunately only the bottled version of Speckled Hen remains any good. The draft version has been watered down for marketing purposes - they found out that people buy less of the proper version, because there's only so much you can

Good quality Speckeld Hen from the wood can stil be found.
  • Options
    Pilsner Urquell for me.
  • Options
    Adnams Broadside with Harveys Best a close 2nd.
  • Options
    Damn. The man from Tescos brought me three bottles of Tangle Foot and four London Pride's this morning. I knew it wouldn't last long, but it's looking like it might not last the night!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Guinness pulled from the pump in Ireland.

Absolutely no comparison in England - and virtually a different beer from the 'creamy non-real Guinness' pish
    that's served as a draught Guinness here.

Agree about Guinness in Ireland - had the stuff when I went over there about 12 1/2 years ago. I think I got some vouchers for some free pints promotion when I was a student and used one in a Sheffield city centre pub - found it to be the most foul tasting drink ever. Even made the free coffee given out by Midland Mainline taste good.
    Also on my list would be Abbot - tend to drink this quite a bit on numerous trips to Cambridge.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Just a little tip for you real ale drinkers....try The Chequers in Farningham....has the biggest selection of real ales for miles around...very well kept cellar too (a lot of money spent on it over the last few years so I'm told), it's a great little pub too I must say.
    I was in there about a month back and they had no fewer than 8 real guest ales on tap, from all over the country.How they manage to fit all that lot into the cellar lord knows?
  • Options
    Stella
    Hurlimanns
    Super Bock
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Special Brew
    Tennants Super
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Special Brew
    Tennants Super

Now why didn't I guess that? Are you a bit partial to a drop or two of Buckie as well, Steve? ;-)
  • Options
    definately not only time i ever tried it as a 15 year old i was as sick as a dog LOL
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]definately not only time i ever tried it as a 15 year old i was as sick as a dog LOL

Glad to hear it!! Not that you were sick, I mean...
  • Options
    Big beer exhibition at the end of the week

www.beerexposed.com
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]Big beer exhibition at the end of the week

www.beerexposed.com

Blimey. Just had a look on that website and it all sounds a bit pretentious to me - and 17 sheets to get in!
  • Options
    I was thinking of going but £17 is a bit pricey
  • Options
    Like a drop of the Badger myself,have been tucking into some "Old Speckled Hen" lately.
  • Options
    Shepard Neame Whitstable Bay Organic
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Badger[/cite]Like a drop of the Badger myself,have been tucking into some "Old Speckled Hen" lately.

You can't change your username to Old Speckled Hen, you know. AFKA & the CL police wouldn't allow it.

;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Badger[/cite]Like a drop of the Badger myself,have been tucking into some "Old Speckled Hen" lately.

You can't change your username to Old Speckled Hen, you know. AFKA & the CL police wouldn't allow it.

;o)

But if Stu of SE7 (wasn't it?) can become Stu of HU16 (or whatever) just because he's moved to Hull, then I think Badger could become an Old Speckled Hen, as long as he originally chose Badger because of the beer. Yes? No? :-)
  • Options
    Nice and easy this:
    Beer/lagers
    1*
    Peroni NAstro Azzuro
    2*
    Carling extra cold
    3*
    Budweiser
    4*
    Fosters
    5*
    Stella
  • Options
    As a lad King and Barnes Festive slipped down well.

I don't think it is brewed any more.

Marstons Pedigree is good as is Brackspears.

I had a lovely pint of Masterbrew (sadly only 1 as driving) at the seaside on saturday.
  • Options
    I remember King & Barnes in the 70'/80's...... Horsham brew, wasn't it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I remember King & Barnes in the 70'/80's...... Horsham brew, wasn't it?

Aye
  • Options
    Late Red for me. Superb Shepheard Neame ale, only available late on in the year (Sept-Jan/Feb) hence the name.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Lager- Stella or Hurlimans

Ale- Scheillian ( a real lager from Scotland), Exmoor Gold, and Hop Garden Gold in the Summer....in the Winter, Young's Winter Warmer....

Agree with Soundasa£...The Chequers in Farningham is very good....
  • Options
    As mention, one for soundas... we're staying in Farningham/Horton Kirby this week and have to say the Chequers is a bloody lovely pub. wow. The Pied bull there is nice but for just a drinkers pub the chequers is the nuts.

I could move there for that!
  • Options
    Too many lovely ales in this country to give a favourite.

The Harveys, straight from the barrel on the back shelf at the Bricklayers Arms in chipstead is very special though.
  • Options
    Peroni Nastro Azzuro + 1...flippin' lovely...and I do like the pint glasses too, have quite a collection of them at home now ;-)