Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite Beer

Comments

• Options
    Tribute Ale is the only beer at St James Park

That is when we are not drinking cider
  • Options
    Not quite south enough.

Who (or what) is the Ale a tribute to? Alan Beer perhaps?
  • Options
    Don't touch wheat beers. Occassionally I'll get a bit tipsy and foolishly drink one. The next day I wake up with a worse hangover than the ones that forced me to give up cheap spirits. It's does truly awful things to my head.
  • Options
    Alan Beer was class, it was such a shame his career was cut short. It was a privalage to watch him partner Tony Kellow though. I thought he was the better of two, but we were denied seeing whether he would ever make it in the top flight.

Tribute Ale sponser the back of our shirts, despite being cornish (St Austell), they will get my vote
  • Options
    Lets have a look in the cellar and see what we have.
    Bishops Finger,Spitfire,Fullers ESB,London Pride,Doom Bar,Bombardier,Victory Ale,Tribute the ale of Cornwell,and abottle of Amstel thats out of date, thats for the neighbour.Heres not having any of my ale.
  • Options
    Wasn't Alan Beer about to sign for Everton when he got injured?

LC, I can get you a good deal on a load of Amstel. Just bring over the other stuff and we can swap.
  • Options
    Cordoban Addick
    Forget the amstel mate i will post you the NEIGHBOUR instead.Now if you want to send me some ale.
  • Options
    Fizzy lager than you can only drink stone cold, and only manage two pints in one sitting? In exchange for your neighbour? Has he got a sister?
  • Options
    I thought it was West Brom but now I not so sure, I will try and check it out.

I will ponder it over a sheppys cider.
  • Options
    Shouldn't you be drinking Scrumpy, actually on second thoughts your writing isn't slurred.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Lewis Coaches[/cite]Lets have a look in the cellar and see what we have.
    Bishops Finger,Spitfire,Fullers ESB,London Pride,Doom Bar,Bombardier,Victory Ale,Tribute the ale of Cornwell,and abottle of Amstel thats out of date, thats for the neighbour.Heres not having any of my ale.

Now that's what I call a decent collection, Lewis.

If you want to invite me to one of your drinking sessions - apart from the regulation Doom and Trib, I can come up from Cornwall armed with strong HSD (St Austell Brewery) and a whole bunch of different Skinners ..... from Heligan Honey, St Pirans Ale, Betty Stoggs and Cornish Knockers.

Or a good hoppy Old Jail from Dartmoor Brewery.

Edit: One of my local pubs is selling another very decent hoppy beer called Proper Job - but only on draught.
  • Options
    Bangla beer when in the curry house is good and Mahou red label when in spain!
  • Options
    Oh man. Anyone that rates Peroni anywhere near the word "beer" needs shooting.

Don't get me wrong, when I'm in an Italian restaurant then it fits the bill lovely. But when some bright spark is serving it up in a designer glass and charging me, say, 20% more than a Stella then something's wrong.

Now I love a lager, but even I know why they serve it as cold as they can - it's because it tastes rank.

I daresay a pint of my chilled piss would taste ok to some, if it was served in a "nice glass".
  • Options
    Good beer is very hard to come by out here. Guinness is brewed in Malaysia and has a different taste. You have to be careful of the bottled stuff as it's 8%abv. Not available in Thailand. I usually drink Tiger in Thailand; don't like Singha, Chang is too strong and is real hangover material, Heineken is boring. Beer Lao is better than all thes if you can find it.

There's a great brewpub in Singapore called Brewerkz. They make a very good oatmeal stout and serve a real ale, Hopback, via handpump. It also has the best happy hour in town and if you know anything about Singapore prices, you need to find happy hours to have a few and slow down for the remainder of the evening. Of course in practice that doesn't happen.

IN the UK: Harveys bitter for a session beer, London Pride (properly kept!) for a great taste and ESB for some brain damage. Also like Deuchars IPA, Thwaites bitter if I'm ever oop north, though usually I try any available guest ales to see what they are like but rarely remember the names.

Weissbeer, Belgian beer, good German lagers and Dublin Guinness can also be great.

Still haven't tried Meantime's beers.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bangkokaddick[/cite]There's a great brewpub in Singapore called Brewerkz. They make a very good oatmeal stout and serve a real ale, Hopback, via handpump. It also has the best happy hour in town and if you know anything about Singapore prices, you need to find happy hours to have a few and slow down for the remainder of the evening. Of course in practice that doesn't happen.

Brewerkz is great, been going there on and off since it opened a few years ago. On the first visit ask for a selection of the beers on offer and you get a small glass of half a dozen beers from dark to light and then choose which one to continue with. They serve good pub food as well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]Funny how these threads pop back up now and again.

Recently discovered than the Tapas bar near where I live sells Bitburger Pils on draught. I'm more of a real ale man but Bitburger is a lager of exceptional quality and taste and is fortunately still only available on import. One of the best German beers ever.

i think bitburger pils is the stuff they sell in the poncy Corney & Barrows in the City but I like it. A lot! Right nice flavour to it.

this thread popped back up by me as i mentioned the chequers which i have discovered recently. Back in there last night. A real lovely pub.
  • Options
    Did someone say on here that Stella is a beer? I thought it was a chemical plants effluence?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Did someone say on here that Stella is a beer? I thought it was a chemical plants effluence?

Correct.

;o)
  • Options
    Tribute the ale of Cornwell,and abottle of Amstel thats out of date, thats for the neighbour.Heres not having any of my ale.

Beer doesn't go out of date as such, (unless air gets to it etc) it just keeps slowly maturing and therefore gets stronger with time. Eventually if you give it enough time it'll exceed the limits of the ABV that it is sold under and so has to be taken off the market.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    When I was living in Japan I found an beer import shop that sold practically every bottled beer on Earth. Japanese beer is also very good mainly because 100 years ago they went to Germany to find out how to make it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Did someone say on here that Stella is a beer? I thought it was a chemical plants effluence?

Correct.

;o)

Oggy,

Is the Blue Anchor at Helston still going? They used to brew their own on the premises (stingo ?sp) which wasn't too shabby from memory.
  • Options
    Hi Len, Helston's down the other end of Cornwall where the Druids live, I'm at the English end. ;o)

So I've googled it and come up with:

Have you been Spingo'd today?

The Blue Anchor is one of the oldest original Inns in Britain that continues to maintain a working brewery. Dating back to the 15th century, the Inn boasts 600 years of brewing! Originally a monks rest house, which produced a strong honey based mead, it now produces a variety of 'Spingo Ales' to traditional recipes.

The Inn still retains its original character and has no slot machines or piped music! However, live music is often performed in the skittle alley or main bars. A major feature of the Inn, is the large garden to the rear, with its own bar and BBQ.

Landlords Simon and Kim Stone have been custodians of the Inn since 1993 and have sympathetically improved the brewery, kitchen, skittle alley and beer garden without changing the character or appeal of the Inn.
  • Options
    Thanks Oggy.

Glad it's still going. It is well over 20 years since I've been to Cornwall although i used to spend a fair bit of time down there.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]Bangla beer when in the curry house is good and Mahou red label when in spain![/quote

Do you drink any real ale creepy? I only ask as it would give me a hint as to whether or not its worth trying Mahou Red. I don't mind Bangla beer with a curry, but is just not the same as Cobra, kingfisher, Ghurka et al but marketed in a different bottle?

Bitteburger is the stuff i normally buy from LIDL, its almost always in some kind of promotion (6x 500ml bottles for €3). It even has its LIDL copy which is (I imagine) brewed by the same company and is also very nice.
  • Options
    Drank a few pints of Otter Gold when down South West way a couple of months back. Wasn't much choice mind but it was pleasant.

There was a bar called Mash just off Oxford Circus which had it's own brewery in house and the stuff they sold used to get you totally hanging within a few pints. Mash by name Mashed by nature. It closed down a couple of years back - probably because nobody could handle a 2nd visit !

Fave lager at present is Starapromen (?)

Beyond that, my top bears are Nookie and Winnie the Poo
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]Drank a few pints of Otter Gold when down South West way a couple of months back. Wasn't much choice mind but it was pleasant.

Just got back from the pub. Been drinking Doombar in one, and Otter in another.

The Otter is not particularly potent ..... but a good quaffing beer and a proper bitter, hoppy and strong flavoured. Loverly!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Oh man. Anyone that rates Peroni anywhere near the word "beer" needs shooting.

Don't get me wrong, when I'm in an Italian restaurant then it fits the bill lovely. But when some bright spark is serving it up in a designer glass and charging me, say, 20% more than a Stella then something's wrong.

Now I love a lager, but even I know why they serve it as cold as they can - it's because it tastes rank.

I daresay a pint of my chilled piss would taste ok to some, if it was served in a "nice glass".

so shoot me. i like it. Not your piss, peroni i mean. But there aint many lagers i hate. apart from budweiser.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carlsberg[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Oh man. Anyone that rates Peroni anywhere near the word "beer" needs shooting.

so shoot me. i like it. Not your piss, peroni i mean. But there aint many lagers i hate. apart from budweiser.

BANG!
  • Options

I am doffing my hat to you even as you read Offy!
  • Options
    Tim Taylors, Butcombes, Erdinger Weiss draught and Lancaster Brewery's Amber, Red and Black all lovely. Oh forgot Daniel's Hammer when we're next in Blackburn.