Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

One week until Palace

Comments

• Options
    it wasn't even free travel though ooh aah, it was subsidised. You still had to fork out for match tickets, days food, drink and everything else, whilst getting back the middle of the night, having to take min 1 day off work.
  • Options
    What about if you have say, 10 away ticket stubs from this season, you get x amount off next years ST.

Thats an idea for a start.

But I agree, the passion just isnt there in our support in numbers.
  • Options
    ok our fans are weird but we all knew that anyway;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]ok our fans are weird but we all knew that anyway;-)

i'll give you that one !
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]What about if you have say, 10 away ticket stubs from this season, you get x amount off next years ST.

Thats an idea for a start.

But I agree, the passion just isnt there in our support in numbers.

Some people feel the passion but lack the filthy lucre to follow that passion.
  • Options
    If they'd gone on general sale there's no doubt we'd have sold a lot more.
    But the game is still a week away and we have a home game before then for people to get them so i still think we'll get close to selling them out.
  • Options
    theres the optimism we need chris!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    My dad and other members of my family 'dont fancy it' as it would involve driving over there and quite frankly, they'd rather spend their £30 on something else that wasn't made of rust and crap. fair point them. they've been there enough times in the past.
    there are many people who are put off because of the 'aggro' element that goes alongside. however misplaced or not that may be, if you're genuinely worried about yours and your childrens safety, would you bother going somewhere on a tuesday night and taking your kids if its a school night and there is a risk of getting caught up in something? there is no denying that it does have the potential to go off. at london bridge. at palace or on a train. no point denying it.

I know its disappointing that people arent' going and taking the tickets and it is a shame that there aren't at least 3k fans out of our 15k or so season tickets can't make it, but lets just make enough noise for them and sod it. who cares what the palace fans say about us? they won't sell out their end anyway, they didn't last year, and they won't ever again probably. i'm going to support my team and not worry about what the palace fans do or say.

I can't believe that some so called fans have booked holiday for next week! imagine that!
  • Options
    It is embarrassing BUT we just have to make sure that the 2000 that are there out sing the home fans for the full 90mins.

That way the Nigels will look even more stupid.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]I have maintained for a long time that the away following is something that should be addressed by the club

what can the club do realistically, other than providing freebie travel ?

Our 'collective committment' to our club, simply isn't there like it is is some other clubs, there is no getting away from that. Whether its because we are more price sensitive / wiser to the world / have more things going on in our lives etc compared to fans of similar sized clubs, i don't know.

I just can't understand how nearly 6,000 can go to the lengths of taking days off work, travelling up to Middlesboro for a game that was live on the telly, yet not have the same appetite for a local derby.

I tell you what they can do...They can put the tickets for games like this on General Sale from day one. When tickets for Carmen at the ROH go on sale they don't say let the upper classes have first dibs and then if there's any left over see if the masses want them, do they? No, they go on general sale.

There are far too many restrictions around prioritising to Valley Gold, tartan rugs, flasks and red cards, IMHO. This is one of the reasons why I've got out of the habit of travelling away and stems from the Bolton cup match a few years ago. One of the biggest matches in years and you couldn't get a ticket for love nor money because they had been taken up by the tartan rug and flask brigade.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]about 1800 sold
    I knew we were bad, but that takes the biscuit, very embarrassing.
  • Options
    I have dissuaded my parents from going as they won't be able to stand for 90 minutes, as they would have too, plus they wouldn't like the hostility of the occasion. As for our support being embarrassing on the night I can't see the home support being that great either so as long as we outsing them it'll be okay.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]I have maintained for a long time that the away following is something that should be addressed by the club

what can the club do realistically, other than providing freebie travel ?

Our 'collective committment' to our club, simply isn't there like it is is some other clubs, there is no getting away from that. Whether its because we are more price sensitive / wiser to the world / have more things going on in our lives etc compared to fans of similar sized clubs, i don't know.

I just can't understand how nearly 6,000 can go to the lengths of taking days off work, travelling up to Middlesboro for a game that was live on the telly, yet not have the same appetite for a local derby.

I tell you what they can do...They can put the tickets for games like this on General Sale from day one. When tickets for Carmen at the ROH go on sale they don't say let the upper classes have first dibs and then if there's any left over see if the masses want them, do they? No, they go on general sale.

There are far too many restrictions around prioritising to Valley Gold, tartan rugs, flasks and red cards, IMHO. This is one of the reasons why I've got out of the habit of travelling away and stems from the Bolton cup match a few years ago. One of the biggest matches in years and you couldn't get a ticket for love nor money because they had been taken up by the tartan rug and flask brigade.

Season ticket holders, Valley Golds etc should get some sort of priority on tickets but there's no reason why this couldn't have just been for a week to 10 days before putting them on general sale, that way everyones happy. And surely the club can measure the interest and adjust the restrictions accordingly. That said in 20 odd years of going to Charlton i've never not been able to get a ticket for a game i wanted to go to. Even people who aren't ST holders, valley golds, whatever, will more than likely know someone who is and has a voucher they can borrow.
  • Options
    It has been highlighted already, when we are doing operation X it is promoted very aggresivley, how often do u see away travel promoted on the clubs website, the club has to put incentives in to get people to go to away games, a points system, therefore should a fan accumilate a cretain amount of points then as a gesture from the club perhaps a subsidised ticket for a match or travel, its not rocket science,
  • Options
    We would probably have sold a few more if they'd been put on general sale as Valley mcCoist

I don't think they will be though - I think the club have agreed with the police that they won't go on general sale at all.

Could Airman Brown confirm or deny this please???????
  • Options
    why put them on general sale? who would want a ticket for this game that wouldnt be a st holder or a red card holder that can't get them a ticket?

how many people exactly have been on this site begging for the use of someone's season ticket or red card membership? i think there was 1 on the first day the tickets went on sale, and thats it.

you can kid yourselves into thinking that if it was general sale it would be sold out, but i really don't think it would. people can get a red card for free, so why not sign up and buy a ticket? its embarrassing making excuses and blaming the club for not selling the tickets when its the fans that aren't turning up.
  • Options
    say as you will we can't sellout Palace it is shite,put whatever reasons or slants on it as you like piss poor.But that's just my opinion feel free to dis-agree as many will.
  • Options
    it is bad steve, its disappointing and whatever excuse people have for the reason the fact is, not enough people want to go. thats a shame, but lets get over it and not say that palace will laugh at us, they're a bigger joke anyway and lets just make the noise of 3k people and have a good night.
  • Options
    As for the nigels taking the piss, we could point out their poor home attendance but all in all it's very childish and quite frankly, boring.
  • Options
    Surely we have been supporting our club for long enough to realise that our away support was ,is but may not always will be rubbish. FACT!

Have disscussed this before. I know that myself and friends i have grown up with used to go all over the country but we are all 30's 40's now and have other commitments. May sound lame to some on here but its true. We all know we missed a generation of supporters through the shithurst years so maybe in another 10 years we will have as big a support as AFC Wimbledon :o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1900 sold
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]Surely we have been supporting our club for long enough to realise that our away support was ,is but may not always will be rubbish. FACT!

Have disscussed this before. I know that myself and friends i have grown up with used to go all over the country but we are all 30's 40's now and have other commitments. May sound lame to some on here but its true. We all know we missed a generation of supporters through the shithurst years so maybe in another 10 years we will have as big a support as AFC Wimbledon :o)

All fair points GHE, our away support has always been mixed shall we say, BUT we always have had the potential for decent one-off turnouts. 6,000 Blackburn, 5,000 Boro, 9,000 at Selhurst against Wimbledon, 6,000 at Palace for Kitson, then the era before that, 6,000 to Bristol City, 3,500 to Southend, and even before returning to the Valley there was 5,000 at the old Den when they gave us the whole end, big turnout at Highbury etc.

Despite small home grounds, we always seemed to have those people there for one-offs. Those people don't seem to be there anymore.

Suzi, i agree with your point to a certain extent, but by putting such tight restrictions on from the start, 1 ticket for ST etc. You're limiting your group straight away. If it had more flexibility from the start, i would of bought extra tickets for casual fans, mates who don't really follow a club but like the occassional game etc. And i'm sure plenty of others would have done the same.
  • Options
    which is why our support isn't made up of core supporters and more hangers on.....people dont have to buy their tickets in the first week if they don't think it'll sell out.

you lot were so adament that it wouldn't sell out, why buy your tickets straight away when it was ST restricted? why not wait until only 300 were sold and force them to be offered to more people? why should the club work to give more money to the opposition to encourage away support? if the club have to offer incentives to provide support for charlton fans to support the team at palace then thats more embarrassing than only 100 people turning up!

I went to forest at the weekend, and I can safely say, i've been travelling to away games for quite a while - not all, but a fair few over a few seasons, and there were a lot of people I didn't recognise, normally you walk through and see people you know or at least recognise from other games. was really bizarre just a load of strangers - i've never felt like that before - not sure of the relevance to this thread however. i only saw porkpie, latimer and ms latimer, inspector and rothko and 1 other person that doesn't post on here and oh my god we've attracted a new embarrasing female following - in fact i'm starting a new thread about it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I have dissuaded my parents from going as they won't be able to stand for 90 minutes, as they would have too, plus they wouldn't like the hostility of the occasion. As for our support being embarrassing on the night I can't see the home support being that great either so as long as we outsing them it'll be okay.

I understand fully why you have done this but I consider it a shame that two longstanding supporters feel intimidated and unable to go to an away game in part because of the lack of consideration of our own supporters.

The last away match I attended was Spurs away in the relegation season. My wife came (which is rare) and my daughter and we had the misfortune to be sat in front of three of the most obnoxious individuals you could wish to meet.

Thankfully they displayed their loyalty to the cause by leaving shortly after half time as I had got to the stage where i would have had to say something to them.

I can't afford to attend many away matches anyway but such negative experiences do not inspire me to repeat the experience and I suspect the scum I had the misfortune to encounter at Tottenham will be out in their droves for Palace.
  • Options
    I was quoted 2,000 sold by the ticket office at 10am today!
  • Options
    All fair points GHE, our away support has always been mixed shall we say, BUT we always have had the potential for decent one-off turnouts. 6,000 Blackburn, 5,000 Boro, 9,000 at Selhurst against Wimbledon, 6,000 at Palace for Kitson, then the era before that, 6,000 to Bristol City, 3,500 to Southend, and even before returning to the Valley there was 5,000 at the old Den when they gave us the whole end, big turnout at Highbury etc.

Despite small home grounds, we always seemed to have those people there for one-offs. Those people don't seem to be there anymore.

That's puzzled me for ages, also the vocal support used to always be good for away games, now it's just a group of youths and screaming females (who I have seen before with their dad about 5 years ago, they were just as annoying back then but not as loud!) who try and start the chants off.
  • Options
    Concert at Selhurst Park
    An audience with 2000ish cafc fans featuring Valley Floyd road nd the red red robin!!!
  • Options
    I just phoned up and there is 750 ish left. may be a lie though!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]why put them on general sale? who would want a ticket for this game that wouldnt be a st holder or a red card holder that can't get them a ticket?

how many people exactly have been on this site begging for the use of someone's season ticket or red card membership? i think there was 1 on the first day the tickets went on sale, and thats it.

you can kid yourselves into thinking that if it was general sale it would be sold out, but i really don't think it would. people can get a red card for free, so why not sign up and buy a ticket? its embarrassing making excuses and blaming the club for not selling the tickets when its the fans that aren't turning up.

Although i agree that anyone who wants to go should be able to get a ticket (there are 2 non-season ticket holders in our group coming) as everyone knows someone, i still believe that putting them on general sale at some point would've helped sell them. If anything it gives people a kick up the arse as they might think i better get them quick as there's no restrictions, whereas now they know they can wait and wait and buy whenever.
  • Options
    I'm a non season ticket holder and I am coming, had to use the red card i ordered last year though!