Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Just got back from the game...

edited September 2008 in General Charlton
What an utter pile of shite....Varney, Bailey and Hudson (just) are the only ones to come out of it with any credit.

The rest of em might as well have not bothered......Youga and Sam were about as bad as it can get, do I watch a different game to Pardew. How Sam came out for the second half was laughable, he was an absolute joke and bottled pretty much everything. Youga is just a clown full stop.

Primus clearly isn't fit enough and from what I'd heard of Cranie, he was supposed to be the nuts....he's looked garbage to me and certainly no better than Moo2

They are the only few I can be bothered to type about as they were the worst of a bad bunch.

N.B Weaver also seemed to be tied to his post by a piece of invisible elastic, if we could take it away from around his waist before Saturday it might help.

Our support was excellent, can't have been to many empty seats (apart from their main stand which they could've got away without even opening)

Comments

• I feel totally disgusted the way team performed no passion,the lowest I have felt for a long time and at the end the fact that no one stayed to applaude should now send a worrying sign out to the players management team and board.
  • Oh dear, Oh dear, Oh dear.
  • [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]I feel totally disgusted the way team performed no passion,the lowest I have felt for a long time and at the end the fact that no one stayed to applaude should now send a worrying sign out to the players management team and board.

That's not a good sign at all. Did any of the players have the balls to come and face the fans at full time or did they all skulk off sheepishly?
  • I personally didn't hang around to see.
  • Me neither - didn't bother turning round none of them deserved a clap - apart from Eltham's listed 3 but you can't clap 3 players.
  • they thought about walking then watched the crowds reaction and walked off
  • [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]they thought about walking then watched the crowds reaction and walked off

Took the gutless way out then. Even Matty H? The like of Kiely, Rufus, Kins, Robbo, Hunt etc NEVER did that.
  • Every player should clap the fans even if the fans don't clap them.

I'll never forget Forest away in the cup. Only Holland and Ambrose came over to clap.
  • I thought Primus was ok tonight as well as Hudson and Bailey. How is Bouazza escaping criticism?? Apart from the Reading game he looks pony and lightweight. So many awful performances, it was simply gutting to watch.
  • [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]How is Bouazza escaping criticism?? Apart from the Reading game he looks pony and lightweight. So many awful performances, it was simply gutting to watch.

Yet another inconsistent player to add to the ones we already had. Not the type of players any team needs, but we have plenty of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• What happened to the team of Reading, how did it happen? Why isn't pards interview on the OS? Mind you I'll quote him now "Coming to places like Palace are always going to be hard" "The players in tere are gutted", "We matched them in every department till the last 20 minutes" "There are some players and 23,000 fans knocking on my door for consideration for saturday, and the players in there have opened the door to them"
  • if he says we matched them I'll write his P45 out for him - and I am not a pardew out merchant.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]How is Bouazza escaping criticism?? Apart from the Reading game he looks pony and lightweight. So many awful performances, it was simply gutting to watch.

Yet another inconsistent player to add to the ones we already had. Not the type of players any team needs, but we have plenty of them.

Pards certainly likes a rough diamond. I think it massages his ego to think he can polish them up. Trouble is he keeps buying turds and he's all out of brasso.
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    Yet another inconsistent player

Disagree an inconsistent player is one that changes from game to game, he'shad one good game for us and thats it, our players are becoming worryingly consistent.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]if he says we matched them I'll write his P45 out for him - and I am not a pardew out merchant.

That's part of the frustration. Ledge - he's all talk and little delivery.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    Yet another inconsistent player

Disagree an inconsistent player is one that changes from game to game, he'shad one good game for us and thats it, our players are becoming worryingly consistent.

Fair enough Kap but don't rty and pin it on me!
  • Just to add my two penneth for those not there...

We were quite simply never in the game. They got a corner in the first minute, and it never got better after that. They dominated play, won all the 2nd balls and generally as a unit wanted it more than us. What was so disappointing is against other sides we have seen, they weren't even any good.

We started with Varney up on his own, but he was so isolated it was unreal, and we never really had possession anyway. Put Boazza more central 2nd half, but it never really looked like working. We didn't register a single meaningful effort on target all game.

Varney worked his nuts off to no avail, and Bailey gave his all against an impressive midfield, probably the best part of their game, but overall it was just disappointment all over the field. Youga sadly is regressing game by game, while Cranie has showed precious little to carry a highly rated tag.

We had to lose over there at some stage, and i'm a big boy and can take it on the chin. But i'm struggling to see hardly any positives in our future direction at the moment. I said before the game that i didn't fancy it because this side just hasn't got enough about it.

Certainly appeared the case tonight.
  • [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]I thought Primus was ok tonight as well as Hudson and Bailey. How is Bouazza escaping criticism?? Apart from the Reading game he looks pony and lightweight. So many awful performances, it was simply gutting to watch.

The problem with all these loan signings is that they probably have clauses saying they have to play, so they're in the comfort zone and don't have to fight for their place.
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]What happened to the team of Reading, how did it happen?

Mou2 was a big difference that day, gave us all the width and outlets that we needed and have lacked since. He also has the final ball to cause defences problems. The trouble is he makes a mistake defending and he's Pardews scape goat.
  • edited September 2008
    Quotes from the OS on the game ae laughable

"A triple change from boss Alan Pardew, who shelved his 4-5-1 formation in favour of all-out attack in the closing stages as Andy Gray, Svetoslav Todorov and Zheng Zhi were all introduced, promised much but delivered little, and it was Palace who went closer to a second than the Addicks to an equaliser"

The hosts appeared fragile at times when put under pressure,

and despite committing players forward at will, the visiting side couldn't break through.

with Ambrose offering an attacking threat at the tip of the central triangle

Are just 4 of the diamonds on offer
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]with Ambrose offering an attacking threat at the tip of the central triangle

Although I only listened to the commentary I completely forgot he played tonight. Don't think I heard his name mentioned once
  • Sponsored links:

• Look at the team we had against Reading, Moutaouakil, Fortune and Basey played, like last season, our back 4 is very different in the space of about a month. That really can't help. Also had Gray instead of Ambrose, thats four changes and two players tonight are loans from Portsmouth (and not even for the whole season). Played 4-5-1 as well tonight, Varney on his own up front, Ambrose behind is very different to him with Gray.

Get the feeling with us, we need other teams to have an off day, us to have a good start, then we might play well. Not often we play well causing the other team to struggle.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]We were quite simply never in the game. They got a corner in the first minute, and it never got better after that. They dominated play, won all the 2nd balls and generally as a unit wanted it more than us. What was so disappointing is against other sides we have seen, they weren't even any good.

This is depressingly spot on.
  • edited September 2008
    What does it say to our own players when he'll drop Mouts for a sliced clearance yet keep Cranie in the side when he's consistently poor? And not even a right-back... I'm just at a loss for words with Pardew. Hoofing the ball up to Varney on his own, given half-time to change the way we play and does nothing, no subs until the 70th minute when we are finally one goal down, I mean what the hell is he doing? Does he really not have a clue or are we as fans just not priveliged to the advanced level of tactics that would allow us to understand these seemingly insane decisions.
  • Pardew;s comments on the game

It was nip and tuck out there

we never stuck to the game plan in the 2nd half

we would have won it if we got the goal...

their goal was offside

I'd rather he just said we got what we deserved instead of bullsh intellignet football fans
  • 'All out attack in the closing stages'?

It was hardly the Alamo, was it...?
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Just to add my two penneth for those not there...

We were quite simply never in the game. They got a corner in the first minute, and it never got better after that. They dominated play, won all the 2nd balls and generally as a unit wanted it more than us. What was so disappointing is against other sides we have seen, they weren't even any good.

We started with Varney up on his own, but he was so isolated it was unreal, and we never really had possession anyway. Put Boazza more central 2nd half, but it never really looked like working. We didn't register a single meaningful effort on target all game.

Varney worked his nuts off to no avail, and Bailey gave his all against an impressive midfield, probably the best part of their game, but overall it was just disappointment all over the field. Youga sadly is regressing game by game, while Cranie has showed precious little to carry a highly rated tag.

We had to lose over there at some stage, and i'm a big boy and can take it on the chin. But i'm struggling to see hardly any positives in our future direction at the moment. I said before the game that i didn't fancy it because this side just hasn't got enough about it.

Certainly appeared the case tonight.

Agree with everything you've said there.
    Not got much to add other than I've never been a Pardew out merchant but to be honest after tonight, i don't think he's got long left. The only positive was i thought our support was quality there tonight.
  • What is it with the long balls we keep playing? We're too lightweight to manage it. The spells when we looked alright were the spells when we kept it on the ground. But you can't play a long-ball game against a relatively muscular side like Palace were tonight... and playing 4-5-1 was just dreadful.

Wouldn't want to be in Pards' shoes in the morning.
  • Pards on BBC Sport::

Charlton manager Alan Pardew:
    "It was a real derby with no quarter given. We had chances but the final ball just wasn't there to give us a lift and I thought their goal was offside, so that was disappointing.

"The boys are fully committed but I'm looking at one or two and thinking I need to give other people a chance.

"We are still above Palace but we are falling behind the pace now and we need to put a little run together, otherwise we could find ourselves in trouble."
  • I think we are being forced into that long ball play Inspector by the ineffectiveness of our wide players.

Played into their hands tonight. Paddy and the other centre half won't have an easier game all season.
  • edited September 2008
    All out attack in the closing stages? I should say so, I was trying to walk up that hill to the bus stops at Crystal Palace Park as quick as I could.