Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just got back from the game...

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]Pards on BBC Sport::

Charlton manager Alan Pardew:

"We are still above Palace but we are falling behind the pace now and we need to put a little run together, otherwise we could find ourselves in trouble."

Turn it in! 9 games in and he's already coming out with last seasons favourite 'put a little run together' line.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]Pards on BBC Sport::

"It was a real derby with no quarter given."

Not by them mate.

Don't fool anyone Alan. We had our pants pulled down tonight.
  • Options
    What an awful awful display.

Playing 4-5-1 with Varney as the target man is and never will work. Our passing was absolutely atrocious, we had absolutely no ideas of what to do with it. I had no idea what Ambroses role was, and I don't he did either. We had no shape or anything to the team.

Long ball after long ball, good if you have big lumps who can win it, we haven't, we're lightweight and need the ball to feet, so we do the opposite.

Cranie was brought in to make us better defensively. I would accept if he offered noting going forward but as long as he defended well it doesn't matter. But he can't defend. Youga is terrible, bring in Basey. Their goal I could see coming as neither Bouazza or Youga tried to close down their right back to get the cross in.

Terrible night, terrible waste of money. Pardew has a lot to answer for.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    We're not going to put a run together unless you address the blatant weaknesses in your tactics that even the average fan can see. Take your blinkers off you egotistical twerp.

This is very worrying. The blokes head is so big that he obviously thinks he's doing all the right things, he just needs to swap a few players and have a bit of a luck!!!!!!!!

We're in serious trouble.
  • Options
    He's starting to talk about a relegation scrap already, which is incredibly worrying.
  • Options
    Ipswich home, Cardiff away, Bristol City home are our next 3 games. Things could get a whole lot worse.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]He's starting to talk about a relegation scrap already, which is incredibly worrying.

I wouldn't take it that far - "We still sit above Palace but we are falling behind the pace-setters. Now we really need to start looking after ourselves in terms of making sure get a run together or else we will find ourselves in trouble." - stating the obvious, really.

I just wish he'd spot the other obvious issues. And hold on... he said the same stuff about shaking up the side on Saturday!
  • Options
    they absolutely smashed us, did they hit the bar/post 2 or 3 times and weaver made a couple of good saves on top... every corner they had was a threat....
    we were so so poor
    support was good from us
    i'll just live on the memories of the glory years curbs gave us cos even when we were shit(it was a 100 times better than that crap tonight) the oppo at least played some decent football ....
    tonight we were farking awful and our performace matches the kit omg that is vile
  • Options
    The formation we played tonight only works if the five in midfield get up and supports the striker. Simply did not happen (with the exception of Bailey) leaving Varney too isolated. Never got into the game and could have been a couple down before they eventually scored.

Only positives I could take out of that performance was Bailey who does look a good bit of business.

Need a win badly on Saturday before this turns into a crisis, e.g. Pardew out shouts becoming louder.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oohaah..that kit is non-league. Said so when I first saw it. We're not THAT bad.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Oohaah..that kit is non-league. Said so when I first saw it. We're not THAT bad.

we were non league tonight one shot from bouazza and a real tame header from holland our two attempts on goal and paddy looked good lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Oohaah..that kit is non-league. Said so when I first saw it. We're not THAT bad.

we were non league tonight one shot from bouazza and a real tame header from holland our two attempts on goal and paddy looked good lol

The 'Paddy looked good' bit is worrying, but wasn't that always going to happen?? Lisbie and Danny Hayes on Sat, anyone?? (Or did I hear Lisbie was injured?)
  • Options
    Particularly disturbed by the way he says the long ball was all part of the tactical master plan. A worrying little insight into his tactical thinking.
  • Options
    every charlton fan with half a brain could see palace were on top and were eventually gonna score so why couldn't mr pardew see it and make changes before they scored

and right in the last knockings when youga laid the ball across the box and toddy(i think) dummied why the hell did bailey try an impossible pass in a congested penalty box rather than have a dig ffs grow a pair man and have a shot!!!
  • Options
    At least we are not in the Prem playing non competitive matches all season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]At least we are not in the Prem playing non competitive matches all season.

I like the positive thinking. Keep going...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]At least we are not in the Prem playing non competitive matches all season.

lol that wasn't competitive tonight!!!

give me hulls result saturday over anything we've had since the premiership....
    i wonder in 20 years will they be talking about beating nobody fc in their promotion season or the win at arsenal.... exactly
  • Options
    It was obvious to me after about five minutes that there was only going to be one winner, and it wasn't going to be us. We were not up for it, they were. In our last two away games we have gone to teams in the bottom three, played one up front, barely created a chance, and scored NONE. It isn't working and we havn't the personnel to make it work. It only worked at Donny by chance and it's now over 4.5 hours since we scored away from home. Pards says his players were committed ? Not a chance, Bouzza, Sam and Ambrose were woeful and shirked challenges all night. Youga is a disaster waiting to happen, a liability. Cranie offers no more than Moo2, and going forward much less. Holland tries but he's really feeling it. Pards is really losing the plot. Another season of midtable mediocrity beckons, at best. The most annoying thing is though that, in my opinion, we have a squad, and therein a team, more than capable of finishing in the top six. But is Pards the man to be able to realise that. On recent performances, tactics, team selection I am beginning to very much doubt it.
  • Options
    Totally agree Large
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "No quarter given". What a laugh!

They had the majority of possession.
    They had 3-4 attacks for every one that we had.
    They had 5 or 6 chances that were better than our best chance,
    and crucially they found the back of the net. They did all of those things because we let them!
    If Palace had won 3-0 it wouldn't have flattered them. And yet for all that I never looked at Palace and thought they were a good side. The difference was every one on their team was up for it. They all wanted to win the ball and they all wanted to turn possession into attack. As has been mentioned, a handful of ours tried, but in a game like that you need everyone to play like their lives depend on it, not 3 or 4. We lost this game precisely because quarter was given (whatever that means).
  • Options
    woeful. Clueless. Inept.

Goodnight
  • Options
    Reading Pards comments you really have to question if he were really there. He was, I saw him with my own eyes, but he saw a completely different game to me.
  • Options
    The reason Pardew chose not to change it at half time is because he would have been happy with the 0-0 at that point as that was what we'd came for-at the end of the day we got pummeled at Forest with that formation but he still stuck with it and if the game had finished 0-0, he'd have come away praising the 'gutsy performance put in by the lads.' Anyone with a brain can see that it's more by luck that we've kept those clean sheets and our defence is not strong enough to invite that level of pressure and hope to get away with it.

Unless we have an amazing first 20 minutes on Saturday, it's going to painful afternoon on the pitch and in the stands-the honeymoon is definitely over for Pardew.
  • Options
    I agree with much that has been said. They wanted it more than we did. They outfought us in all departments. The only real bright spots were Hudson and Bailey. Sam is just not good enough, Bouazza was 10% good, 90% crap. Ambrose was just not at the races, Youga was a mixture of good and bad. Cranie was OK but no more, likewise Primus.

I can take being beaten, even though I hate it. I can take them being technically superior to us (which they weren't). I just can't take being out fought.

The only positive that I can take from the game is that Tody got some more play under his belt and ZZ is back and looked immediately to exert some control of the ball which had been almost entirely lacking until that point.

It's f*cking long way back to Norwich when we've lost.
  • Options

No - we are in the Championship playing non competitive matches all season. Next season it looks like that we will be doing the same in League 1.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I just can't take being out fought.
    Charlton would most probably get out fought if they played themselves.
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]It's f*cking long way back to Norwich when we've lost.
    It is f*cking further to Sheffield ... especially when travelling overnight on a coach that stops at just about everywhere - ok golders green, newport pagnell and leicester forest east services, nottingham, mansfield, chesterfield.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]

I like the positive thinking. Keep going...

Want some positive thinking? - we are postively CR@P
  • Options
    ooh aah - me and you could have played centre half for palace tonight and looked good considering how ineefective up fron twe were. not having this talking paddy bollox up it was an easy game for him
  • Options
    shite and embarrassed i think that just about sums it up