Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alan Pardew at NWKent Addicks - 6th November

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Is he going to get ''slaughtered'' as Stop Shouting thinks?

Or, as Henry suggests, is nobody going to ask him anything probing and if by chance they do, he won't answer anyway ?

I don't want him to be ''slaughtered''. I want him to be given a full and fair opportunity to explain his failure. Bbut I'd also hope for some Paxman/Humphreys type rigour in the questioning (but without the rudeness and constant interrupting) ...

My experience is that fans talk alot about "I'll ask him straight and make him answer me" but when face to face don't ask the question at all or re-phrase in a much more gentle way.

Pardew, like all managers, is media trained and savy and he knows how to deal with difficult questions. Personally I would take a different approach and use different questions, especially the follow up.

I would have a bet now that some of the people who go will come back and tell us how we've been a bit harsh on Pardew and having heard his version of things it's all the fault of the board/Peter Varney/West Ham/The Supporters' Directors/Sarah Pallin. Same thing happened after he did the brunch at Xmas.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Is he going to get ''slaughtered'' as Stop Shouting thinks?

Or, as Henry suggests, is nobody going to ask him anything probing and if by chance they do, he won't answer anyway ?

I don't want him to be ''slaughtered''. I want him to be given a full and fair opportunity to explain his failure. Bbut I'd also hope for some Paxman/Humphreys type rigour in the questioning (but without the rudeness and constant interrupting) ...

My concern is that Steve Rider is chairing the meeting. Fans may ask these questions but Steve may brush over them and move on to the next one without Pards answering or maybe water it down in some way. If that happens the questions will still be awkward with no response given. If that happens then fans will eventually give up and go back to the old standards of 'When are the pot-holes in the Car Park ......'.

Can all those from here going say 'aye'
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Are you going AFKA and will you be standing up to tell him you started the pardew out petition?

he'd better take a box to stand on....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Are you going AFKA and will you be standing up to tell him you started the pardew out petition?

I want to go purely because i'm not convinced others will ask direct questions, but the shortest day i've worked this week was 12 hours and i can't see it improving by thursday.

Put it this way, if i can get there i will, and you know full well i have no problem sticking my hand up at these meetings.
  • Options

I am quite happy to tell him that I signed it ...........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

I want to go purely because i'm not convinced others will ask direct questions, but the shortest day i've worked this week was 12 hours and i can't see it improving by thursday.

Put it this way, if i can get there i will, and you know full well i have no problem sticking my hand up at these meetings.

Just people seeing it thats the problem!. :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]Have to say, I'm stunned that he's going to attend. Talk about Christians & the Colleseum. He's gonna get absolutely slaughtered. I do admire him for facing up to the fans but I still want him out.

I still think he'll pull out at the eleventh hour. Some excuse about being in talks with Heider Helguson or Ade Akinbiyi ....
  • Options
    What's the address i'd go and pay to as well!

I met pards before and it would be interesting to see if he still believes he can rescue us!
  • Options
    Weegie, asking for his resignation is, as Henry would say, a leading question.

What someone could ask is :

"Would you resign if you felt it was in the best interests of the club?''

The unspoken half of that question is "or would you wait to be sacked so that you can collect your pay-off and bankrupt the club". That part doesn't even need saying : he will know that it's lurking there unspoken, but on the tips of everyone's tongues...

One could also ask why he said after the Barnsley debacle that he was not going to consider his position. Given the run of poor results, does he not feel it's his duty to at least ponder the question of whether the team might fare better under someone else?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]Have to say, I'm stunned that he's going to attend. Talk about Christians & the Colleseum. He's gonna get absolutely slaughtered. I do admire him for facing up to the fans but I still want him out.

I still think he'll pull out at the eleventh hour. Some excuse about being in talks with Heider Helguson or Ade Akinbiyi ....

I think he is going to come out fighting. Good on anyone who asks the difficult questions and I hope he is put on the spot but I can't see him rolling over and saying "yes you are right, I'm wrong, I respect that you have a great knowledge of pro football so I am going to do what you suggest even though it sounds physically impossible and is possibly obscene." : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    and he might just come out at the start in the introduction and preempt the hard question, he'll be silly not to try and kill some of that off early
  • Options
    We are going.

Steve & Tracy
  • Options
    can someone ask.. is it true that according to oohaah you said in reference to getting the sack 'i know it's coming but i'm not going to resign'
  • Options
    Ask him are we still on course in the two year plan in which he rolled last season?.

If he was a fan would he pay to watch the current team.?

If he was a Charlton fan, what would his reaction be to the manager be if the team were performing as they are at this moment in time and would he be calling for the managers head.?

At this moment in time you could hold the Q&A at the 02 and there wouldnt be enough room.

Fair play to him though, a brave man to stand in front of all those people and answer some awkward questions.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Weegie, asking for his resignation is, as Henry would say, a leading question.

What someone could ask is :

"Would you resign if you felt it was in the best interests of the club?''

The unspoken half of that question is "or would you wait to be sacked so that you can collect your pay-off and bankrupt the club". That part doesn't even need saying : he will know that it's lurking there unspoken, but on the tips of everyone's tongues...

One could also ask why he said after the Barnsley debacle that he was not going to consider his position. Given the run of poor results, does he not feel it's his duty to at least ponder the question of whether the team might fare better under someone else?

Are you sure you can't go, Nigel? Your past experience in this area is clearly awesome, and I'd imagine you would have him squirming :-) Unfortuantely it's a long way from Glasgow, so I can't make it, but I think we can rely on Large and AFKA etc to give it a good shot...if AP doesn't pull out at the last minute.
  • Options
    At this moment in time i wish his dad pulled out at the last minute...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]if AP doesn't pull out at the last minute.

i've heard about plenty of those rumours;-)
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Ask him are we still on course in the two year plan in which he rolled last season?.

If he was a Charlton fan, what would his reaction be to the manager be if the team were performing as they are at this moment in time and would he be calling for the managers head.?

At this moment in time you could hold the Q&A at the 02 and there wouldnt be enough room.

Fair play to him though, a brave man to stand in front of all those people and answer some awkward questions.

Not picking on you or your questions but the sort of answers I would expect a media savy person to give would be, as an example

"no, the performances have been very poor but that's what great about Charlton fans. They stick with the team thru thick and thin. The support we have been getting, such as against Burnley, was fantastic and it really lifts the team."

"I don't think that is the Charlton way. When the club had success under Alan Curbishley they stuck with him when things weren't going well. Same with Fergie at Man Utd. Charlton fans are very loyal and we've tested that loyalty but we are going to turn it around"
  • Options
    Well I hope WhenIwasLittleBoy can go because the killer question out of all of these is his:

"If he was a fan would he pay to watch the current team.?"

That is positively Paxman-esque !
  • Options
    Henry,

are you writing his script?

or just giving him some free tips !!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Henry,

are you writing his script?

or just giving him some free tips !!!!!

No, speaking from experience ; - )

But NW you know that that is how people are trained to answer difficult questions. Either don't accept the premise of the question or turn it into an opportunity to praise and so deflect the criticism. Failing that blame someone else.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Well I hope WhenIwasLittleBoy can go because the killer question out of all of these is his:

"If he was a fan would he pay to watch the current team.?"

That is positively Paxman-esque !

it is a goodun. Maybe I'll try to squeeze that one in too !!
  • Options
    OK, taking Henry's advice to come at him from a less direct angle:

"Having given everyone a go, even Sarah Palin, would you advise the Republican Party that the time has come to start playing their best team?''
  • Options
    Alternitivley if he did pay to go and watch the team would you stay for the full 90 minutes or would you leave at half time as a huge majority of the home fans did?
  • Options
    Alan are you aware that the only people that would like to keep you in charge of the club would rather talk about facial hair than the current poor run of form
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Alternitivley if he did pay to go and watch the team would you stay for the full 90 minutes or would you leave at half time as a huge majority of the home fans did?
    Rubbish!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Alternitivley if he did pay to go and watch the team would you stay for the full 90 minutes or would you leave at half time as a huge majority of the home fans did?
    Rubbish!

Whats rubbish the question or the fact that people were leaving at half time
  • Options
    My very last suggestion, I promise, because I'm only semi-retired and I have got a bit of work to do this afternoon.

May be we should keep things very simple. Child-like, even.

"Alan, why do all the other teams keep scoring more goals than we do?''
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]At this moment in time i wish his dad pulled out at the last minute...

ROFL.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]
    Whats rubbish the question or the fact that people were leaving at half time

The bit about it being a huge majority