Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael McIntyre

13»

Comments

• Options
    Unfortunately with fame comes new found arrogance/elitism for many and add a public school education to boot, you have a recipe for a personality type most struggle to connect with or respect. Sounds like off camera/stage, his personality profile is all too predictable… A shame really, but makes no difference to how I enjoy my life. 
  • Options
    My niece and her friend came over from Vienna and Hamburg to stay with us and see him at the O2 last Friday.
    There was a warm up act, an interval, and then apparently McIntyre did an hour and a half.
    The girls are not the cutting edge alternative political types, and I think his middle of the road type material appeals to them. No threat.
    He is not from the Sadowitz school of comedy.
  • Options
    I’ve met him - utter knob - plastic Spurs fan - I won’t explain how I met him - but, when he asked who I supported, and I said Charlton Athletic - he said - have they ever been in the Premier League or played Spurs

I was a few beers in to be honest and I said ‘yes we have been in the fucking Premier League, and the 1st Division for many years (1st division element confused him) and I’ve seen Charlton beat Spurs at home and WHL, and we won the FA Cup’

This is where it went a bit wrong - I followed that up with ‘do you know anything about fucking football’

I was ‘nicely’ asked to move to another table after this 

He is a massive bellend 
    I'll be honest, that really surprises me.  He goes to an awful lot of Spurs games, home and away.  I'd just assumed he knew his football.  Clearly not from what you've posted.
  • Options
    edited April 8
    I saw a MM big show, or whatever he calls it, on TV once. It was enough for me and I've steered well clear since. Flashy's remarks don't surprise me, but just because I find him about as amusing as having a dose of something nasty, that doesn't mean he's not funny to others, as his popularity shows. Seems to divide opinion more than most.
  • Options
    edited April 8
    I was having dinner with a friend in a restaurant n Windsor one weekday evening (The Bel and Dragon, now sadly gone) when my companion pointed out that MM was eating alone at a table, and looking a bit glum. Turns out he was doing a show at Windsor Theatre that night.
    'Are you going to ask him for his autograph?' my companion asked.
    'No,' I said, 'fuck him. He hasn't asked for mine'
  • Options
    He's about as funny as a mild cheese sandwich
    Not unpalatable as such but bland uninspired and hardly worth the effort
  • Options
    He's always struck me as a Nana's comic, safe and unfunny. I was hoping this was a R.I.P thread.  :|
  • Options
    He's always struck me as a Nana's comic, safe and unfunny. I was hoping this was a R.I.P thread.  :|
    Wow
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    I’ve met him - utter knob - plastic Spurs fan - I won’t explain how I met him - but, when he asked who I supported, and I said Charlton Athletic - he said - have they ever been in the Premier League or played Spurs

I was a few beers in to be honest and I said ‘yes we have been in the fucking Premier League, and the 1st Division for many years (1st division element confused him) and I’ve seen Charlton beat Spurs at home and WHL, and we won the FA Cup’

This is where it went a bit wrong - I followed that up with ‘do you know anything about fucking football’

He is a massive bellend 
    I'll be honest, that really surprises me.  He goes to an awful lot of Spurs games, home and away.  I'd just assumed he knew his football.  Clearly not from what you've posted.
    I think both of these things are entirely congruous. I don't really follow any football other than the competitions that Charlton are in. I know a little of Tottenham because they are a Premiership team, so the coverage they get is so ubiquitious you'd have to actively avoid it not to know anything. If the tables were turned and we'd been two divisions higher for donkeys years, then I don't suppose I'd know so much about Spurs. The sad truth is that it's more than a dozen years since there's been a competitive fixture between our clubs. I can fully understand MM not knowing or caring about us.

Billy_Mix said:
    He's about as funny as a mild cheese sandwich
    Not unpalatable as such but bland uninspired and hardly worth the effort
    I suspect the being a comedian is one of those professions where it's much harder to be any good coming from a middle class background than a working class one. So much of what makes us laugh, comes from pain and hurt and irony and, let's face it, just plain dirt. If you're one of those people who as Jarvis Cocker so cleverly observed, could call their dad and stop it all, you probably aren't going to have the life experience to be a comedy great. And even if you have, why would anyone put themself into such a punishing vocation when they could probably more painlessly slip into a cushy job elsewhere.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

He is a massive bellend 

I think we have to accept for the majority of football fans outside of our own fanbase, proper or otherwise, Charlton are an utter irrelevance.

Only 8k or so of us can be arsed to attend games regularly so it's no surprise when supporters of clubs outside our league don't have us on their radar. I doubt i knew what wigan or Preston were up to when we were dicking the likes of Spurs, arsenal and Chelsea week in week out in the Premier league.

It's important to us but the majority of the football world wouldn't blink an eye if we went the way of Stockport County, Wrexham etc.

I do think Mcintyre is a bell though albeit he's done very well in capturing the safe, middle of the road inoffensive Miranda humour audience.

And I do think plastic armchair Premier league types are awful and best avoided for any decent conversation about football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always viewed him and Miranda as very same ish, just overly expressive moving around the stage but not actually that funny, but each to their own. 

Comedy is such a funny thing and something I've really mellowed to as I've got older, I can't fathom why some people find some music, comedians, clothes etc something that they would want to go near, and I'm sure they'd say the same thing about my preferences.

One things for sure though, he makes people laugh, and the world could definitely use more laughter!

On him being a bellend, most comedians are (most, not all). Always so anxious that next week someone else will take their spot. It's not like there's high barriers to entry to standing in front of a microphone and telling a few anecdotes!
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

He is a massive bellend 

I think we have to accept for the majority of football fans outside of our own fanbase, proper or otherwise, Charlton are an utter irrelevance.

Only 8k or so of us can be arsed to attend games regularly so it's no surprise when supporters of clubs outside our league don't have us on their radar. I doubt i knew what wigan or Preston were up to when we were dicking the likes of Spurs, arsenal and Chelsea week in week out in the Premier league.

It's important to us but the majority of the football world wouldn't blink an eye if we went the way of Stockport County, Wrexham etc.

I do think Mcintyre is a bell though albeit he's done very well in capturing the safe, middle of the road inoffensive Miranda humour audience.

And I do think plastic armchair Premier league types are awful and best avoided for any decent conversation about football.
    I wouldn’t be able to tell a Sutton fan if we had played them in the league 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    He’s like a comedian for people who don’t like comedy.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. My wife doesn't like comedy and she likes MM.