Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So who would your top three 'realistic managers' include....

124»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]in fact his results are worse than if Pardew had stayed in control.

But you wanted Pardew out when I argued that he should stay (e.g. away at Ipswich - I wasn't overseas then). If he'd stayed we'd be better off now. If Parky goes we'll get even worse. Keep changing managers and that's what happens. I've argued this before and you only have to look at clubs that keep their manager versus those that swap and change to see the evidence.
  • Options
    Yeah because Sunderland, Blackburn, Tottenham are all MUCH worse off having changed their manager recently?!?!? Think not ....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]in fact his results are worse than if Pardew had stayed in control.

But you wanted Pardew out when I argued that he should stay (e.g. away at Ipswich - I wasn't overseas then). If he'd stayed we'd be better off now. If Parky goes we'll get even worse. Keep changing managers and that's what happens. I've argued this before and you only have to look at clubs that keep their manager versus those that swap and change to see the evidence.

Only because they had the right manager there in the first place.

There's just as many examples of clubs that got rid of their manager and improved.
  • Options
    1. Paul Ince - apparently will accept a pay cut
    2. Billy Davies - out of a job
    3. Andy Hessenthaler - Dover or Charlton............... maybe Dover
  • Options
    If the board is serious about staying in this division then go out and get Billy Davies if they are resigned to relegation and rebuilding then I would take a punt on Mark Robson with Kinsella and Chappell.
  • Options
    Len Glover - I hate to disappoint your self-delusion but:

1. Our finances are considerably better than yours. This season we have spent over £2m on players, you have spent what? Whilst Watson (free transfer in summer) and Kuqi (high wages) will probably leave the club between now and August, we don't need to have a firesale, because we have been through the pain. Oh, and owning property in the current economic climate doesn't equate to wealth;
    2. We are set up, and have a lot of experience of the Championship (and precedessor leagues) and the physical and financial struggles than come with it. You don't, that is why you are struggling this season;
    3. Warnock will NEVER join you. why would he? what can you offer than Palace can't at the moment? And don't bother with the 'bigger stage' nonsense, because at the moment there is a level playing field. We have a balanced squad, an academy in the top three of the country which is bringing through a steady stream of players coming through (Scannell, Moses, Clyne, Djijali, Wiggins, etc) and we have closed some sponsorship deals recently (Tag and DCC - yes, a South London club closing a deal with a Dubai-based company);
    4. Warnock treasures his friendship with Jordan - of course he would chuck that in to work for the Anti-Christ Murray, wouldn't he?

In all seriouness, and without a hint of gloating, sometimes things have to be knocked down completely before any sort of rebuilding can begin. I doubt you have many other options than retaining Parkinson at the moment, because from what I have read Billy Davies is off to Nottingham Forest, I doubt Paul Ince is right for a relegation scrap and any up-and-coming young manager would want a pre-season to mould the club in their image before risking their reputation on going to a club in decline, regardless of the potential of that club. Therefore, in that scenario it is either Parkinson, or someone like Peter Reid. Sadly, your options are very narrow as you have no money, will be forced to sell any players that can raise a transfer fee or reduce the wage roll and will be forced to face off relegation by brining in cast-off's, loaners and free's.

The world has changed and you have to change your views in accordance with it.
  • Options
    Need to do a bit more research about relative finances between Palarse and Charlton I think Matt. You couldn`t be more wrong.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Need to do a bit more research about relative finances between Palarse and Charlton I think Matt. You couldn`t be more wrong.[/quote]

Keep on beliveing the delusion!
  • Options
    I take it that remark was made to yourself !
  • Options
    No seriously - football wise yes you are in a better position but you're the deluded one if you think you have more assets or are in a better financial position mate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]No seriously - football wise yes you are in a better position but you're the deluded one if you think you have more assets or are in a better financial position mate.[/quote]

I never said we had more physical assets - but financially we are on an even keel at the moment and not haemorriging money. You are, and the fact is that property prices/land prices aren't what they were, therefore, in addition to the physical loss of money through high players wages and still paying out money to sacked managers and for player transfers, your physical assets have depreciated considerably too in recent months, for reasons out of your control, meaning there's a 'double bubble' on your financial predicment, not mention the costs incurred with maintaining a largish stadium when it is welcoming smaller crowds than it is used to.

We have signed two large sponsorship deals recently, and slashed our wage bill over the past 2 years. As much as you may despise Simon Jordan, he saw what was coming and cut the cloth accordingly. Our last two big salaried players - Ben Watson and Shefki Kuqi will be out soon, or in Shefki's case, prepared to accept lower wages. We have a steady stream of youth players coming through our system, whose wages will be lower than that of established Championship level players.

I would stop living in the delusional world if I were you, and accept the reality.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I take it that remark was made to yourself ![/quote]

No Sweetheart - I was saying it is time for you to wake up and smell the coffee.
  • Options
    Sorry if this sounds a bit offensive but don`t sweetheart me you know nothing pompous twat.
  • Options
    Sorry Matt i didn`t mean twat....Meant to say arsehole.
  • Options
    So we might go down
    so we are shit

what ever happens we aint a bunch of stripey nigels who dont own their own ground , who f**k all to say at ANYTIME about ANYTHING thats worth reading on this CHARLTON site ------------------end of.

As for not caring about CAFC well what total boll*x oln here and as usual Mat WetHimself is wellllllllllllllllll weting himself sad little twat.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Sorry if this sounds a bit offensive but don`t sweetheart me you know nothing pompous twat.[/quote]

A wonderful example of your intelligence, ability to communicate and social skills.

Is this how you deal with every disagreement in life, or just those disagreements where a nerve has been hit?
  • Options
    This aint a Palarse site who gives a monkeys f**k what u think or do u sad little prick
  • Options
    Good retort Matt. However it was an intelligent and considered responce that I made. I also agree with Goonerhater.
  • Options
    3. Warnock will NEVER join you. why would he? what can you offer than Palace can't at the moment? And don't bother with the 'bigger stage' nonsense, because at the moment there is a level playing field. We have a balanced squad, an academy in the top three of the country which is bringing through a steady stream of players coming through (Scannell, Moses, Clyne, Djijali, Wiggins, etc) and we have closed some sponsorship deals recently (Tag and DCC - yes, a South London club closing a deal with a Dubai-based company);

Where's all this academy in the top three of the country come from? What about clubs like Aston Villa, Middlesbrough, Man City, and the 'big four'? There are a lot of clubs with good academies, Palace are hardly levels above the rest of the country. Southampton are bringing a lot of young players through in this league.

Of course Warnock would never join us, I can't believe how anyone could seriously suggest he would even consider it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: matt_himself[/cite]We have a balanced squad, an academy in the top three of the country

but surely crystal palace is tottenhams academy?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: matt_himself[/cite]We have a balanced squad, an academy in the top three of the country

but surely crystal palace is tottenhams academy?

no, they are the team of the eighties
  • Options
    Sellhurst Park was bulit on a massive victorian cespit. No lie.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Parkinson should stay manager.

If he wasn't manager now you'd all be suggesting him, for on paper he looks as good a bet as the rest.

We are fast becoming another stupid club that changes manager at the first sign of trouble. Give the guy a chance (that doesn't mean ten games).

20 ? By then we'd be truely down and out. I trust this was a wind-up but knowing you I think you were being totally serious. I think Malachy would have more of a clue than you.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]So we might go down
    so we are shit

what ever happens we aint a bunch of stripey nigels who dont own their own ground , who f**k all to say at ANYTIME about ANYTHING thats worth reading on this CHARLTON site ------------------end of.

As for not caring about CAFC well what total boll*x oln here and as usual Mat WetHimself is wellllllllllllllllll weting himself sad little twat.[/quote]

Is this modern-day Shakespeare the voice of the average 'Addick'?

Methinks that might be the case.
  • Options
    matt do yourself a favour and fuk right off tonight

come back another day cos you are going to get dogs abuse if you stay

you are quite comical at the right times alas tonight is not one of them
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: matt_himself[/cite]Len Glover - I hate to disappoint your self-delusion but:

1. Our finances are considerably better than yours. This season we have spent over £2m on players, you have spent what? Whilst Watson (free transfer in summer) and Kuqi (high wages) will probably leave the club between now and August, we don't need to have a firesale, because we have been through the pain. Oh, and owning property in the current economic climate doesn't equate to wealth;
    2. We are set up, and have a lot of experience of the Championship (and precedessor leagues) and the physical and financial struggles than come with it. You don't, that is why you are struggling this season;
    4. Warnock treasures his friendship with Jordan - of course he would chuck that in to work for the Anti-Christ Murray, wouldn't he?

In all seriouness, and without a hint of gloating, sometimes things have to be knocked down completely before any sort of rebuilding can begin. I doubt you have many other options than retaining Parkinson at the moment, because from what I have read Billy Davies is off to Nottingham Forest, I doubt Paul Ince is right for a relegation scrap and any up-and-coming young manager would want a pre-season to mould the club in their image before risking their reputation on going to a club in decline, regardless of the potential of that club. Therefore, in that scenario it is either Parkinson, or someone like Peter Reid. Sadly, your options are very narrow as you have no money, will be forced to sell any players that can raise a transfer fee or reduce the wage roll and will be forced to face off relegation by brining in cast-off's, loaners and free's.

The world has changed and you have to change your views in accordance with it.

Matt I don't for one moment seriously expect Warnock to come to us.

I was just answering a hypothetical question raised on the thread interpreting "realistic" as financially affordable by us. Some people banded around names like Allardyce who would be way beyond us financially and indeed is now at Blackburn anyway.

The passion of Warnock would be ideal for a relegation battle as you saw for yourselves last season. He was so successful for you that he almost "did a Dowie" and got you up via the play offs from a sorry startpoint.

I think you are perhaps right in saying that we should stick with Parkinson. I'm not sure we could attract anybody better for what we can (or cannot) afford to pay.