Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

********Parkinson Named New Permanent Boss*********

Comments

• Options
    Well, it's probably the worst kept secret anyway judging by earlier posts on this board, but that doesn't quite alleviate the shock when the news is confirmed.
  • Options
    I'm 100% disgusted with not only the decision but the way the board have conducted the entire affair.
  • Options
    Altogether now...

We're on the march with Parky's Army
    We're all going to win League One
    And we'll really shake them up
    When we win the Johnstones Paint Trophy
    Cos Charlton are the greatest football team
  • Options
    Parky is Ken Craggs Pardew was Alan Mullery...

Move to Kent in a year or two...
  • Options
    Well I think they are making a big mistake, after all who is going to be telling them that the squad needs strengthening? Oh yes that would be Parky? Still decision made, die cast and all that. I hope I'm wrong and Parky can work the oracle. This is clearly a decision based largely on financial considerations. I hope the wheeling and dealing is better than Pardew managed.
  • Options
    I don't suppose anyone thinks he could actually keep us up?

Anybody got any prices?
  • Options
    Think we all need to collect our thoughts on this one and work out how as Charlton fans we reconcile ourselves to this decision, which clearly has nothing to do with footballing reasons whatsoever.

Two immediate observations:

1) It looks like the board intended to make Parky permanent from the outset, however bad the results were. In which case they should have damn well done it the day Pardew left. We might have got a couple of wins on the back of the 'new manager bounce'. I can't see there's any new manager bounce in confirming someone who's proved to be a faulure over the last winless eight games.

2) Who the hell is AddickJim on 606? He scooped all the high-powered, well connected, 'I've got Richard and Derek's home numbers' posters on this forum and reported correctly at around 10 o'clock this morning that (a) there was a board meeting yesterday (b) they had decided to give it to Parky until the end of the season and (c) the announcement was coming later today. he also said 'go down the bookies and get some money on before anyone else realises'. Sadly I ignored his advice...
  • Options
    I'll be the first to say it ....Murray out !!!! but then again who would be stupid enough to take over
  • Options
    I don't understand why, if we are indeed that poor and this was a decision based on financial reasons, the board would make comments such as "he will be judged on results". When quite obviously he was always going to get the job. I mean, no wins? You can't get much worse results-wise than that.

Never took Murray et all for a bunch of spin-merchants.
  • Options
    this club has been spun for a long time in my vew.

I imagine the comment about being based on results was motivational talk..

There does seem to be something about the Board (and this is purely speculative) which seems to be hamstrung and indecisive, since the the change last year. Ah well perhaps its just me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Doesn't matter now anyway. The decision should have been taken to get a new manager in as soon as Pardew left. It's too late to survive now whoever who takes charge.
  • Options
    This and Billy Davies now at Forrest just confirms that we have given up and are resigned to league 1 footbal next year

yet again - "atleast we might win some games" - with this squad very unlikely
  • Options
    I loved the SSN ticker.

1) Charlton confirm Phil Parkinson as new manager.
    2) Parkinson has not won any of his 8 matches as caretaker.

Defies logic. We are a joke.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Parky is Ken Craggs Pardew was Alan Mullery...

Move to Kent in a year or two...

Ah the plan is now becoming clear.........:o)
  • Options
    What makes me really sick is the thought of how loudly Alan bloody Pardew must be laughing at us now from his bloody yacht in the Caribbean, or whatever he bought with his £1.6 million...
  • Options
    guess that is the end of Moots now then, anothe right back in Jan
  • Options
    Am I the only one who is a little pleased?

Like the Board said - We're skint. What's the point in getting an expensive fancy Dan manager and staff in? It didn't work with Dowie or Pardew.

IMO the performances have generally had more fight under Parky. As the players are ordinary, all you can ask is for a shift - that wasn't happening under Pardew and is under Parky.

I'm glad a manager that can make the players fight, has got the job.
  • Options
    Be nice if he got the odd result though, wouldn't it?
  • Options
    Think AP got a pedicure and a new haircut Nigel. After buying his preferred moisturiser from L'Oreal, there wasn't much change after that bless him.

The fact is - we actually shouldn't have sacked him!!! We'd have an extra million in the bank for new players and a manager no worse than our new appointment. I think he'd have got us a point or two more over the past eight games. Jesus.

Tell me this is all just a bad dream, where's Hattie Jacques in her nurse's uniform with the chocolate sauce and spray cream....
  • Options
    Why did we sack Pardew and replace him with a man who has got us 3 points in 7 games we have had to pay pardew off and are no better off.Shockin feckin shockin hang your heads in shame guys pathetic
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CA - If there is fight the results will come - hopefully.

The team isn't very good. As such all you can really ask is for a performance - if they win, great. The team is so poor anything more than a performance is a bonus.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
  • Options
    Ok. Parky is at the helm. Assuming we get relegated will he stay for next year also ? If he does what on earth would the man need to do to get sacked.
  • Options
    We're probably only a couple of positions or combinations of players away from being a reasonably adequate team.

Trying desperately to look on the bright side, perhaps Parky will find the right sticking plaster with prudent new signings.
    Perhaps .... ?
  • Options
    I posted at the time he should've been given the job straight away as it was obvious there was no money therefore no plan b. The last few weeks have been a pointless (almost) exercise both on and off the pitch imo. If this is a well run club then what makes it so much better than a poorly run one?
  • Options
    Never have I ever had such mixed feelings about collecting a winning bet from a bookie!
  • Options
    I of course wish Parkinson all the very best (obviously) but can't deny that I'm stunned..................
  • Options
    Not entirely unexpected.
    Our club continues in downspin, reaping the ashes of our past mistakes and there have been many of them and I include Curbs buying Jeffers and Rommadahl.
    It's hard to see where this will bottom out.
    Even if Parky saves us from the drop we will still skint and owing the board 20 mil.
    At worst we will be relegated and will have to entirely rebuild, using our youth products and paying players sensible wages but on the income of low gates. It's a long hard road back but it can be done.
    There are worse managers than Parky so lets see what he can do in the long term. Can he 'pick' a player like Lennie and Curbs used to do? Can he motivate them? Watch this space! The point being that it has never been easy being a Charlton fan. If you want the easy predictable footie life then follow the Arse or Manyoo.
  • Options
    The key thing here is that it is a decision. Not more fiddling around. Regardless of motivation the board have said Parkinson has the job.

is there really anyone out there better that we can afford? the answer is almost certainly no.

Are we in the proverbial? the answer is absolutely yes.

At least there is no more uncertainty. We have a permanent manager, sure he wasn't many (any?) of our first choices, but there you go.

I hope we get out of the mess we are in, I hope questions are asked as to what the board is really looking for out of the club at the moment, I have no doubt that they are fans, but to be honest they are not acting like successful businessmen at the moment, we need both. A sale may be in the offing, but surely if that is what the board are looking for they are seeing their potential return drop with every defeat.
  • Options
    Remember when the Board went for the unpopular decision of choosing Curbs over Gritt?

Let's just hope this has similar results. After all, that's all i've got at the moment - hope.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The Board appointed:

Dowie
    Reed
    Pardew
    Parkinson

Every single appointment has been a disaster for the Club. Given that Parkinson has the worst points per game ratio of the four there is nothing to suggest that we aren't destined for League 1 football or that we haven't been cutting our cloth accordingly for the last 6 months.

Notwithstanding all of the above (and the fact that I still can't bring myself to forgive the current and previous regime for not giving Dickson any sort of chance) we really have to get behind the Management and in particular the players. If they don't succeed through the lack of trying then it will be their fault for our plight but, if we the supporters take the opportunity to vent our spleen on them, we will be potentially just as culpable.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!