Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

********Parkinson Named New Permanent Boss*********

Comments

• Options
    We have gone full circle to when I started watching in the late 60s as a kid.

But these Directors have invested far more in this club and given us more than any of that era. RM will always be held in high regard by me. The jurys out on DC particularly after his remarks at Bromley but in fairness he invested when others were not prepared to do so. I dont think we can blame them for not having more resources or for there not being another investor willing to step in in the current financial turmoil.

I think with Kins and Chapple there is a team I can fully give my support to and lets just hope and pray that it is successful.

I know many on here are hurting and I think some of the posts are way ott but this Board are first and foremost big fans.

Charlton til I die. Cmon parky.
  • Options
    For those that are upset about the assignment of Phil......get over it! The board has made its decision. But what options do you have if you totally disagree....You can (a) jump ship and support Manyoo, Arse or Scouse (b) don't go to the matches until they are back in the premiership or (c) SUPPORT YOUR CLUB.

It's still Charlton for me and we continue to support them through thick and thin.....Remember, Your team is for life and not just for the premiership!

Charlton till I die!

Solidgone
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Just because it pains people to see their club falling into disarray does not make them premiership johnny-come-latelys, Solidgone. The point is that people care so they will obviously vent their frustration when they see a man who hasn't won a single game given the permanent role.

They care too much to simply "get over it". Especially in the first few hours of the announcement. Thanks.
  • Options
    What a joke why the wait. What has he done in the 8 games to warrent it?

What a way to start the new year.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcinperth[/cite]What a joke why the wait. What has he done in the 8 games to warrent it

exactly could have given it to him a lot earlier and saved the shennagins..
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    This appointment defies all footballing logic. His record is worse than Les Reed's.

Les Reed Games 7 W1 D1 L5 PTS 4
    Parky Games 8 W0 D3 L5 PTS 3

Les was sacked (and voted the worst manager of all time), and the board have now appointed someone with a worse record. Terrific!
  • Options
    Much as I am dissapointed at this decision, I am not all that suprised. I wonder how Parky feels - he must know that a lot of fans are totally against this decision.

However 3 points off Forest and a win at Hillsborough - and all this will be forgotten.

Wibble.
  • Options
    How much more of the support Muarry built up in his first few years with his loans to the club and good rapport with Curbs is left now.....now that the ego trip he went on once Curbs said he only wanted one more year has committed the club to division 1 and a possible downward spiral beyond.

Old stuff I know but more and more relevant with each ridiculous decision. Gliksten must be proud of his successor.
  • Options
    Not surprised by this decision but very disappointed. However, being positive although our results have not improved the performances have (albeit only for part of the games). So maybe this news will give players some stability, ambrose back and a few new signings may make a difference and we will stay up. Still think we are too good to go down.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Much as I am dissapointed at this decision, I am not all that suprised. I wonder how Parky feels - he must know that a lot of fans are totally against this decision.

However 3 points off Forest and a win at Hillsborough - and all this will be forgotten.

I imagine Parkinson is feeling very lucky to still be in a job. In any other job in the world, if your predecessor is sacked for poor performance and you replace him as a temp and then do even worse, would you be offered the job full time? I don't think so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite]Not surprised by this decision but very disappointed. However, being positive although our results have not improved the performances have (albeit only for part of the games). So maybe this news will give players some stability, ambrose back and a few new signings may make a difference and we will stay up. Still think we are too good to go down.

How are we in any way too good to go down?
  • Options
    Jeez, I'm lost for words
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Much as I am dissapointed at this decision, I am not all that suprised. I wonder how Parky feels - he must know that a lot of fans are totally against this decision.

Wibble.
    You rang m'lord?
  • Options
    If the club wanted a cheap option, I'd have taken the job. I've won as many games as Charlton manager as Parky has, and I've alienated far fewer players in the process.

This is an abysmal appointment by a club who've clearly stopped giving a shit. I'm gutted.
  • Options
    I hope I'm right, but financially I am sure there are clubs deeper in the sh*t than us. Our borrowing is manageable, for others this won't be the case. This could mean an opportunity for bargains in the January sales. Spending money and time on a new manager could have lost us the chance. Hopelessly optimistic or not, this seems to be what is happening by reading between the lines.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Paddy Powell[/cite]If the club wanted a cheap option, I'd have taken the job. I've won as many games as Charlton manager as Parky has, and I've alienated far fewer players in the process.

LOL Paddy. Quite a day, off home and out to get bladdered.
  • Options
    Other clubs are skint and appoint new managers, this is about return. The chairmen and directors are looking to sell, so why invest any more money in the club, or any of the clubs money.
    Their intention was always to appoint Parks, however they probably expected him to do slightly better than he has, so that we may except the decision.
    Cut your loses and hung at to dry, are two phrases that come to mind.
    Thus begins a new era and new territory for a lot of us, lets see how the newbie’s cope with life in the 2nd div.
    Charlton till die.
  • Options
    Apologies, forgot to say happy new year previously, and to quote D:ream.
    ‘Things can only get better’.
  • Options
    I have feared for weeks that this was to be the decision. From the moment that Pardew was not sacked after the Barnsley game it has been obvious the Board have not been sure what to do. The S Utd game made Pardew’s position untenable and they gave the job to Parkinson in hope rather than expectation he could turn it round.

After the Coventry game a new Manager should have come in. This did not happen and we are left with a situation we now find ourselves in.
    The only hope that I have is that neither Lennie nor Curbs (on both occasions he was appointed i.e. with Gritty and then on his own) were not ‘popular’ decisions or necessarily a name but they were both huge success. I just hope the board get ‘lucky’ with this appointment.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    [quote][cite]Posted By: bob[/cite]‘Things can only get better’.[/quote]

or they could get worse.... with a loss to Palace on the 27th
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You can (a) jump ship and support Manyoo, Arse or Scouse (b) don't go to the matches until they are back in the premiership or (c) SUPPORT YOUR CLUB.

d) have a good whinge on here and get it out of your system

:)))
  • Options
    hahahah and you all bagged me for suggesting the board were cheapskates, now look at the mess they've got us in. Are you seriously saying money has nothing to do with Parky's appointment? FFS the board have made a certain future for us in league 1 and who knows next year when all our decent players leave.....league 2? The conference??
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    As I have said elsewhere, what seems absolutely clear to me that don't have the finances to have made any other decision. Removing Pardew cost us the money for Varney, removing Parky and who knows who else would cost a significant amount of money. By this decision they are signalling either that we are potless, or they have no more money to invest or they have no desire to invest any more. They are going to try and get some more players in and balance this by some leaving - I suspect this is a cost neutral strategy (or as near as makes no difference).

Whilst there is no guarantee what ever course of action they take will succeed, this is clearly a "financial safety first" approach. What I don't understand is how they are protecting their investment by this strategy? I can only think that they do not believe that the eventual deal to sell the club will be jeopardised or reduced by the course of action they have taken. In other words provided that they can manage the club within it's means, in the end a potential purchase price will not be significantly affected by the performance on the pitch. If I was a potential purchaser though, I'd expect the price I pay to reflect the cost I might incur to get the club back to the Premier League, where I might in the end get a decent return on my investment.

Anyway the decision is made, and for better or for worse I will support the club. Lets hope that Parky can make it happen. If he does and the club starts to move forward again, nobody will be happier than me.

Charlton Til I Die.
  • Options
    hello

im southampton jr. i realise every1 is thinking that parkinson is a bad choice but parkinson wants to get some fight out of the players. we will avoid the drop becasuse we are a good side squad wise but we need to get behind parky and do it for the team
    fuck me you wanna support league 1 coz i dont !!!!!
    but ill support cafc none the less!!!
    charlton 2 avoid the drop!
  • Options
    Oddly I just feel let down.....We all had a gut feeling this would happen, but the reality really stings. All the things we have achieved in the last 15 years seem to have been washed away. If we end up getting relegated which is a real possibilty, at least we will be able to sit back and laugh at things like the target 40,000.....we can start again next year with the target 10,000.....oh yeah...we've already done that before....and laugh along with 200 Yeovil fans as they chant "your grounds too big for you" Regardless I'll still be around,unlike a lot of the wasters we have signed in the last three years, and probably the current board. Reluctantly I have to say that the board have let us all down in recent years, I'd like to thank them all for what they did for us in the past, but for gods sake get a grip and start managing this club again or I fear the worst.
  • Options
    Ever the optimist I think Parky might just surprise a few people.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Iced Tea[/cite]Ever the optimist I think Parky might just surprise a few people.[/quote]

I think he'd surprise more than a 'few' people judging by the comments on this board, but I tend to agree with you, I think there's life in this team yet.
  • Options
    We should have started looking for a new manager after the Coventry game, but after listening to Mr Chappell at the Bromley meeting, i had a feeling in my old bones that Parky would be boss, regardless of results. It's all to do with money i'm afraid, and Chappell is not going to let this club going to go into any more debt.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]We should have started looking for a new manager after the Coventry game, but after listening to Mr Chappell at the Bromley meeting, i had a feeling in my old bones that Parky would be boss, regardless of results. It's all to do with money i'm afraid, and Chappell is not going to let this club going to go into any more debt.[/quote]

We should have started looking for a new manager BEFORE the Coventry game, not after. I know it's not ethical to be offering a job to someone or even making hints that Pardew might go but this is the way that football works - look at Billy Davies taking over at Forest, Redknapp at Spurs etc. These things don't just happen overnight but are set up in advance, the rest is spin.

By the time of the Coventry match point it was crystal clear that Pardew wasn't the right man to rescue the club and that new blood was needed. By then the Club should have lined up one or two potential replacements. When Pards was sacked the club would have been able to appoint someone reasonably quickly and that person would have had a couple of months to look at the squad, look at replacements and start shuffling players around as he saw fit.

This appointment has demonstrated Charlton and the board at their worst - reacting to events rather than being proactive, not having a clear plan, trying to please everyone and above all not managing change in any shape or form that suggests they know what they are doing. I presume in the interim since Pardew left that they have talked to one or two candidates who doubtless when they found out that there was no money/the wages would be poor preferred to stay where they were, if so that puts Parky in dodgy position - presumably he knows that he might not have been the Club's first choice (or even second) and that he got the job by default, hopefully that will spur him on rather than undermine his confidence.

I wish Parky well and if there is a glimmer of light in this, yesterday's bulletin talked of investment in new players. With Ambrose back and hopefully a point to prove, and with ZZ to follow (although I suspect his appearence in a Chalton shirt will be fleeting) and with Bouazza being able to play in the cup tie it isn't all doom or gloom, but one thing is certain, we need points and a couple of wins pretty quickly and also that January is the biggest month for the club this year, and perhaps for the last few years and maybe even the next year or so. Screw things up in January with a couple of bad acquisitions/sales and poor performnces and the slide down the table won't stop until we hit League One.
  • Options
    And there we probably have it - Chappell is in charge of the purse strings.

No doubt he's making every effort to run the business of Charlton Athletic plc in the same financially prudent way as he has run his other businesses.

That's probably the very reason he was appointed to the Chair of the plc in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!