Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Josh Wright fined?

Comments

• Options
    your havin a laugh aint yer.He played in our only victory in 20 games and was then subsequently dropped i would be pissed off as well.
  • Options
    he should have played IMO, good player from what i have seen and baffling to me if he was left out for no reason (especially after the OS comments). That said IF what is said is true (and i have no reason to beleive it is), then it sadly would demonstrate just what little respect even the younger members of our team have for the manager and just how bad things have got at our club if the likes of Randolph & Wright are refusing to travel / play.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]he should have played IMO, good player from what i have seen and baffling to me if he was left out for no reason (especially after the OS comments). That said IF what is said is true (and i have no reason to beleive it is), then it sadly would demonstrate just what little respect even the younger members of our team have for the manager and just how bad things have got at our club if the likes of Randolph & Wright are refusing to travel / play.

Think this is what startled me the most, (with the usual 'if it's true' caveat). This is a youngster taking on the team manager. Surely that has to be pretty damming?
  • Options
    It's all just gossip at the moment.

No smoke without fire and all that - but I'm sure the facts will come to light soon enough.
    Then you can sit in judgement.
  • Options
    If true he was a silly boy to refuse to travel.

How refreshing though, at a time many players would want to hide below the parapet, one of our youngsters wants to get out there.

If true Parky probably has little option but to discipline him but that said it is poor man management not to explain to a youngster who has played well when given the opportunity why he has not been selected.
  • Options
    If this is true (and we don't know either way) then I find it unbelievable that people on here are defending the player.

Imagine in Marcus Bent, Jerome Thomas or Mark Hudson pulled a stunt like that, there would be a torrent of abuse toward the player on here and 99% of people would be telling them to feck off out of the club.

Just because Josh Wright is a Charlton product that does not give him the right to defy club management, that is totally unprofessional and leads toward a path of total anarchy within the squad.

Whether he deserved to be dropped or not is not the point, there is a manager in charge that picks the team and his decision and judgment is final.

Look at how Matty Holland handles it when he gets dropped, he takes it on the chin and comes back trying as hard as ever, that's the way to do it.

In addition, Josh Wright has played - if my estimation is correct - about 5 games for Charlton Athletic Football Club, he does not exactly have an iron-clad claim on a shirt at this stage.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]If this is true (and we don't know either way) then I find it unbelievable that people on here are defending the player.

100% agree.

Whether true or not, i do not know, but based on the speculated story, i'm amazed at just how far the current apathy to all things Charlton is impacting on people's thought process.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I don't think anybody is quibbling with Parky exerting his authority if it happened.

I just think that it is a positive that a youngster wants to play despite the dire situation we find ourselves in and I hope that whilst making it clear that there is a right way and a wrong way to do things Parky respects that enthusiasm and doesn't hold a bit of youthful folly against him.
  • Options
    Very true Len, you'd have to hope that Parky would let the fine be punishment enough and let the player start with a clean slate, I am pretty sure he will.

It is admirable that he is disappointed about being left out but there is a right way and a wrong way to express that frustration and he got it wrong this time, hopefully next time he won't.
  • Options
    good on him I say - I would have done the same thing myself.

I did say on here a week or so back it is what Moo2 should have done also - at 2pm when Parky reads out the team for Sheff Utd I would have told him to stick it and get Murty to play.......when he answers he cant because he is ineligible, my reply would have been "tough, you should have thought about that before dropping me after I helped get your only win this year a Norwich"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]good on him I say - I would have done the same thing myself.

I did say on here a week or so back it is what Moo2 should have done also - at 2pm when Parky reads out the team for Sheff Utd I would have told him to stick it and get Murty to play.......when he answers he cant because he is ineligible, my reply would have been "tough, you should have thought about that before dropping me after I helped get your only win this year a Norwich"

I can't agree with that. They are running a professional football club (hard to believe this season at times, I know) not a Sunday pub side and you just cannot have players openly defying club management.

Refusing to travel with the squad is immature, irresponsible and totally unprofessional.

Josh Wright is a full-time professional footballer and under the terms of his contract has to report to where he is told when he is told to do so by club management, that is the deal he signed up to and that is the deal he must abide by.

What if we had got to Sheffield and three players went down with a bug or whatever and Parkinson wanted to call in another midfielder? What would have happened then? Say he calls in Racon (because Wright refused to travel) and Racon breaks down because he has come back too early - what do you do then?

Sorry, I just profoundly disagree with this "I would have done the same thing line," its just plain wrong to justify this sort of behaviour.

We all get dumped on at work sometimes, its part of the deal, and you just have to take it on the chin and get on with it, if any of us behaved like Wright did in our own jobs we would almost certainly be terminated.
  • Options
    I'm in both camps to be honest - he did wrong, but the official site talked about him starting FFS - they wouldn't make that up - they'd only run that if they had been told he was playing. So the lad, keen to forge a professional career thinks he's going to get a starting role, only to be told he's on the bench - I'd be livid too - just because he's a teenager does not make him stupid!

Remember guys - we ARE the club looking to give Demontagnac a contract - so what Josh has done pales into insignificance compared to what pain distruption he could bring ....
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    We STILL haven't had this story confirmed of course but IF true he's out of order.
    Nothing wrong in spitting you're dummy out because you're not in the side(players always have and always will)...but come on the lad's got to show some respect to his employers and us fans who pay his wages...there are ways to show you are miffed but that's simply not it.
    Doesn't he have a mentor or anyone advising him how to behave...step forward Matty Holland or Mark Kinsella maybe?
  • Options
    Must be a frustrating situation though: a manager who really has no competence, picking a failing team and you just have to watch the whole thing unfold, with him not picking you. I think we're getting to the point where players are starting to react because they have no confidence in the manager.

Matt Holland's xmas eve SSN interview a couple of years ago, springs to mind.

Good on him, anything he does that moves the managerial debate further into the open, the better.
  • Options
    SoundAs wrote : ''Doesn't he have a mentor or anyone advising him how to behave...step forward Matty Holland or Mark Kinsella maybe?''

That's a very good point. In the archives of this site, there is a blog written during the Dowie regime, praising the internal communciatons and disciplinary systems Dowie set up within the squad. A mentoring shceme was specifically mentioned in which each of the youngsters was assigned to a senior member of the squad. The gain to the youngsters was obvious, but it was all said to have a beneficial effect on the senior players who were thus forced to take on greater levels of responsibility within the squad.

So did this mentoring system leave with Dowie, I wonder? Or does it stll exist but failed to work on this occasion, assuming this story about young Joshua is true?
  • Options
    If true, this debacle only highlights that there is something seriously wrong in the dressing room.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]If true, this debacle only highlights that there is something seriously wrong in the dressing room.

Agree with that.

The boy has a contract and is in line for a damn good living. I don't suppose he - or his agent - would be happy if the club said to him, "yeah, we know the contract says you are on £xk per week, but we aren't going to pay it all this month".
  • Options
    Whatever the situation the club is absolutely right to fine him. You can't have these young pros doing this kind of thing, it's been happening more and more in recent years and they need to be slapped down occasionally and given a reality check.

Maybe he - and other young pros - should read this article on Jay Bothroyd
    Blue Jay on a High
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]A mentoring shceme was specifically mentioned in which each of the youngsters was assigned to a senior member of the squad. The gain to the youngsters was obvious, but it was all said to have a beneficial effect on the senior players who were thus forced to take on greater levels of responsibility within the squad
    Wouldn't work now as most of the senior pros in our squad are loanees and aren't here long enough to even remember the kids' names!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]SoundAs wrote : ''Doesn't he have a mentor or anyone advising him how to behave...step forward Matty Holland or Mark Kinsella maybe?''

That's a very good point. In the archives of this site, there is a blog written during the Dowie regime, praising the internal communciatons and disciplinary systems Dowie set up within the squad. A mentoring shceme was specifically mentioned in which each of the youngsters was assigned to a senior member of the squad. The gain to the youngsters was obvious, but it was all said to have a beneficial effect on the senior players who were thus forced to take on greater levels of responsibility within the squad.

So did this mentoring system leave with Dowie, I wonder? Or does it stll exist but failed to work on this occasion, assuming this story about young Joshua is true?
    I think this probably finished when we got promoted because just about all of the mentors were either sold or released!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If this is true it's a funny one.

I can see his disappointment as, judging by the comments eminating from him earlier in the week, he seemed to have been told he would be featuring.

Impetuous but understandable IMO
  • Options
    Someone has apparently sent him a message and got a reply back (on facebook presumably)
    Right heres the follow on from Josh Wright... i sent him a message moaning about parky and how i understood there was obviously more to it...

he replied..

The thing is I was starting right up until friday then he dropped me.he told me I was playing then done that.for ten days I thought I was starting.it was a liberty.
    I won't play tomorrow because I'm not back in until thursday.

Makes sense, he thought he was definitely starting, the OS were talking about him starting for a few days before the game. Suddenly he's not even on the bench.

His contract is up in the summer, I hope Parkinson doesn't let him go because of this.

He's young and made a mistake out of frustration, he played for us in our only win in 18 matches, and then was dropped. He is told he is getting another chance in the next cup game, then Parkinson changes his mind.
  • Options
    Brilliant. What's the point of sending him home until Thursday? Hopefully because Parky knows he'll be gone by then. And why has his contract not been sorted out long since?

In Dicko and Wright we're liable to lose our best young talent because of Parkinson. I'd been of the opinion that we were stuck with him until the end of the season, but now I think the rot that surrounds him will put us back for even more years if we allow him to continue.
  • Options
    whatever the rights or wrongs of Josh's actions this smacks of appalling man management once again. As with Moots, he plays in the Cup when the loanee is unable to and is then dropped for the league games. Why ? And yet we had actually WON when he played. There will be six changes again tonight. It's fecking madness.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]In Dicko and Wright we're liable to lose our best young talent because of Parkinson.

Although to be fair Dickson is 24, not a young talent, only a few years of what should be his peak.

I'm wondering why it also looks like we're releasing Harry Arter. We're also going to end up letting Yassin go, Parkinson seems to fail to understand the way he attacks actually helps us defend due to the pressure he takes off the defence. Winning that corner or throw in, or getting a cross in that Cranie or Murty aren't capable of could make the difference in a match.

Like Pardew I get the feeling Parkinson overrates us going forward, he said the other day he knows we'll create chances. The games we've done that have been against teams that are just as bad as us, like Norwich and Derby.
  • Options
    If any of this is true, then Parky has gone up in my estimation (which to be fair, given recent results, is pretty much the only way he could go).

We can all disagree with team selections etc, but when it comes down to it he's the man who makes the decisions, and will stand or fall by them. If someone in the squad reacts like that then surely it needs to be dealt with.

Wright might have his grievances about being dropped from a winning side, but I don't think we need that sort of 'player power' attitude from a young player in a squad as badly underperforming as ours.
  • Options
    I have it on good authourity (from somebody close to him) that Dickson was planning to miss the Forest match for much the same reasons recently. I don't know if he followed it through to be fair but when it gets to the point that players are prepared to cough up 2 weeks wages just so they don't have to be involved on a match day if they're not playing A) there are serious problems with the manager and B) we are paying them WAY too much....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]whatever the rights or wrongs of Josh's actions this smacks of appalling man management once again. As with Moots, he plays in the Cup when the loanee is unable to and is then dropped for the league games. Why ? And yet we had actually WON when he played. There will be six changes again tonight. It's fecking madness.

Agree entirely.
  • Options
    If this is true is shows what a state the whole club is in right now.

Pot less board, having to appoint a clueless manager who has to pick from a unhappy, disjointed squad