Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Life without SKy - the Freesat HD thread

edited February 2009 in Not Sports Related
OK well we binned SKY this weekend.

I am currently trying out the latest Humax Freesat HD recorder (virgin media not available where I am)

What you get:

Most of the free to air digital channels (no SSN tho) which you can get on the terrestrial version, you could only get this with a Sky Sports subscription on satelite.

BBC HD as a separate channel - nice feature though, if you select an SD programme that is also available in HD it tells you then and there so you can select that instead

ITV HD this is only available as a red button selection and similar to above except it is not available as a channel in its own right.

Channel 4 HD not available, not sure what the deal is on that.

The Humax box isnt as easy to use as the SKY plus ones and takes a bit of getting used to, I think they retail at about £249 ex VAT. I think they are very energy efficient when in standby. One thing during install I only had one satelite feed connected, and had to reset to factory after connecting the second later as it wouldn't recognise it, which prevented the dual record/playback feature.

http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?ProdRef=10073&cat=stb

I can still get movies on demand via my media server/xbox/etc although download times particularly for HD are vast even with decent broadband.

Comments

• ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • The revolution will not be televised
  • the BBC HD channel is very strange , they seem to show random stuff on there yet stuff like match of the day and decent films aint shown. One of the best thins about sky sports HD was the darts coverage and despite the fact that when most of the darts was on BBC there was nothing else on they didn't show it in HD.
    The only thing I'm jealous of is the fact that there will be no coverage of england games or the FA cup in HD as they are on sultana and ITV so you can only see some of those if you have freesat HD in the case of ITV and then not everyone seems able to get that.

ITV HD will be available on sky soon enough and setanta HD will appear once they take setanta sports news off which now virgin customers can get sky sports news will be soon hopefully
  • Dumped Sky sports and movies yesterday.Cut some other channels out that i never even knew existed as well.

Should have done it ages ago.
  • We have Sky HD on our main TV and Freesat SD in the bedroom... impressed so far. Picture quality is very good compared with freeview
  • You should be able to get SSN & Channel 4? If not just get a SD Freeview box as well.
  • I cant get SSN on my Freesat... can't get Sky News either...
  • I got a secondary Virgin box in my bedroom just before xmas, £30 install one off payment, and £10 per month rental, same channels and package as the living room box, Sky sports, Setanta, Sky One etc, and its on seperate split feed so can watch different channels in either room.

Used to have freeview in the bedroom, but the other half loves the on demand service so she can catch up with soaps in lazing in bed at the weekend.
  • Virgin have backtracked on their previous position and look like they are going to go with all the HD channels they can.

Sultana invested in all the HD kit only for Sky to turn around and say there is not enough room for them on the EPG.

Sports in HD is awesome.
  • got a blu ray player for christmas and that is amazing

find it weird that the BBC think it's better to show repeats of jools holland all the time but not match of the day at all
  • Sponsored links:

• MOTD in HD may be a rights issue??
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]We have Sky HD on our main TV and Freesat SD in the bedroom... impressed so far. Picture quality is very good compared with freeview

makes you wonder how you managed to get little 'un into this world. or the adult channel rocking on in the bedroom LOL
  • edited February 2009
    Ordered Sky HD today, just got my first proper digi telly, well three of them actually. One for me and Mrs and one each for the kids. All for under £800. PS3 on a digi via a HDMI cable is awsome.
    Sky HD going for special £49 at mom.
    Looking forward to West Indies V England in High Definition.

I understand people making cutbacks but I'd rather change from Waitrose to ASDA instead of dumping SKY, I've had it since '89 and love it.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Ordered Sky HD today, just got my first proper digi telly, well three of them actually. One for me and Mrs and one each for the kids. All for under £800. PS3 on a digi via a HDMI cable is awsome.

I understand people making cutbacks but I'd rather change from Waitrose to ASDA instead of dumping SKY, I've had it since '89 and love it.

Come on then, spill the beans, all for under £800, what size screens and whom from?
  • [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Dumped Sky sports and movies yesterday.Cut some other channels out that i never even knew existed as well.

I've been thinking of doing this for two weeks, but I can't seem to push the button.
  • [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Ordered Sky HD today, just got my first proper digi telly, well three of them actually. One for me and Mrs and one each for the kids. All for under £800. PS3 on a digi via a HDMI cable is awsome.

Come on then, spill the beans, all for under £800, what size screens and whom from?
    32",26" and 22" Comet.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Ordered Sky HD today, just got my first proper digi telly, well three of them actually. One for me and Mrs and one each for the kids. All for under £800. PS3 on a digi via a HDMI cable is awsome.

32",26" and 22" Comet.

Just been into Comet in Crayford at lunchtime, bloody deserted, Currys next door not much better.
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Dumped Sky sports and movies yesterday.Cut some other channels out that i never even knew existed as well.

I've been thinking of doing this for two weeks, but I can't seem to push the button.

Dumped last week also.
  • latest news on satelite based Freesat is that BBC iplayer will soon be available on the service, not sure if it will require internet connection or although I would have thought not since Freesat is built into TV's nowadays. Not sure if this extends to the through the aerial version - Freeview (it may later when analogue is switched off completely)
  • Got Sky HD at the moment, but moving in December and not sure whether to go with them or move to Virgin. Can get the top broadband (50mb) + top tv for just under 50quid.

What's the box like, EPG, etc compared to Sky HD? Any good? Worth the change, considering I can only get 8mb bb with Sky? Anyone ever had issues with their broadband?
  • Sponsored links:

• honestly its not as friendly as SKY is but then maybe a little of that is due to 'growing up with' SKY and familiarity.

I prefer the way SKY let's you delete stuff quickly and easily without holding up what your doing, and the epg on SKY is easier, the HUMAX box I have is a bit fiddly but you get used to it.

you only get BBC and ITV hd content - no skysports news for example but I pick that up with a freeview box instead.

Reliability is as good or better, particularly with the latest update, and hopefully more future updates will enhance it further

The main bonus of course is you don't have to deal with SKY customer services, or pay their huge subscription charges for sky plus and hd functions, or have SKY big brother monitoring your viewing. I get broadband through work so there's no incentive for me there.

However if you want SKY1, Movies and Sports you will of course be disappointed with Freesat.
  • I'm looking to cut costs and dumping Sky seems to be a comparatively easy option. I'll try the sob story on the phone trick, but I honestly can't imagine that they will offer us the sort of discount that we'll be looking for. That being the case, I think we'll probably be getting Freesat, but I have a couple of questions for those that have already gone down this route.

It you get a Freesat box, what's the story with the dish? Is it true that I can just plug the box into the old Sky dish and hey presto, or do I need to re-set the dish in some way?

There's also Freeat From Sky. Has anyone got this? This seems appealing as I envisage less messing about, the down side though is that Sky charge (I think about a tenner a month) if you want to keep the SKY+ features. Does anyone have a good workaround on this?

Cheers.
  • If you want just frees then pull your card out your sky box and you then have fully functioning sky free sat.
    this is what i am using at through moment.
    Although i am looking at a freesat + HD box soon
  • Cheers CWLC. Is this a legit approach that you arrange with Sky or do you have to keep schtum? Do you have to inform them you're doing this or just cancel the direct debit (Presumably they'll find out then anyway)? Is it a permanent solution or does it cut out after a while? I guess that the Sky+ features stop with this.
  • does Freesat have Ceefax?
  • All the sky+ features stop working. It is legit, although they don't let you know about that. They try and sell you a freesat card for 25 quid. Don't buy it. For the 25 quid you will only get localised itv London instead of itv central (default setting)
    You will obviously have to cancel your subscription but yes, all legit and above board. if you type in sky freesat you can see the channels you can get. Their are more available then normal freesat but they are crap you will never watch. The caravan channel is a fine example
  • Thanks very much :-)
  • Well my internet has been down for 3 days and the tv signal dies when it rains
  • I have internet with Virgin. Don't understand why everyone hasn't.
    My sky also goes scatty if it rains. .more recently it has started going scatty when its sunny
  • We cancelled sky sports and the HD side of things last year due to money. My sister had the sports so lets me use her sky go account for the football and I just plug my laptop into the tv. Picture is as good as standard digital.

I miss the ability to record the early hours boxing stuff but other than that it does me fine.