Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Life without SKy - the Freesat HD thread

Comments

• I cancelled my sky last month, within a week I had a letter offering me 12 months free TV to come back which excludes ESPN & HD. So I'm back with Sky, got HD. All for £10 a month for 12 months.
  • Looks like it's unlikely to happen for a while now. After spending a while researching the alternatives, Mrs Stig has decided that she can't miss the new series of Walking Dead on FX. Need some other money saving ideas now.
  • Looks like it's unlikely to happen for a while now. After spending a while researching the alternatives, Mrs Stig has decided that she can't miss the new series of Walking Dead on FX. Need some other money saving ideas now.

Just download/ stream it the day after its been on tv

Where do we download it from? I'm in the same boat as Stig above and am watching it without the card... Ta

Where do we download it from? I'm in the same boat as Stig above and am watching it without the card... Ta

Torrent sites.. I usually just stream from tvlinks, tvblink or watchmoviesonline. I only have access to sky when visiting my mum, anyother time I use the sites above for tv stuff... and firstrow for anything sport related
  • Cheers Shine
  • Sky Movies, is it worth the money, they seem to repeat a weekly schedule each day, and charge for older movies on demand like Madagascar for example
  • razil said:

Sky Movies, is it worth the money, they seem to repeat a weekly schedule each day, and charge for older movies on demand like Madagascar for example

I have noticed over the last few months that they are charging for more and more films from the back catalog. Not at all good. Luckily I am only paying £10 per month for everything bar the sports channels and some of the HD channel. When that deal ends its going.
  • Depends on how many movies you watch Razil. Forget repeats - you have access to 900+ movies on demand so repeats are irrelevant. You download what you want to watch. The quality of new movies is entirely dependent on Hollywood. So whatever was at cinema 10 months ago is on Sky Movies now. You can see every movie available here - http://skymovies.sky.com/on-sky-movies

The charging for older movies - do you mean Sky Store? That's not the same thing as Sky Movies. Movies are licensed to companies. The 1000+ movies in Sky Store are not available to the license that applies to the subscription service aka Sky Movies. Ultimately, if they weren't in Sky Store, you'd have to buy the DVD.
  • Netflix is better value for money than Sky Movies
  • Sponsored links:

• I guess that was my question, given then changing nature of on demand for a base subscription in the market, and that they charge a stupid amount for films that are old from sky store, is it good value?
  • Don't touch sky personally. Got Virgin (but only for the BB, only minimum tv). Netflix for tv series and if there's anything that's not on there, I just download it from eztv.........
  • Don't touch sky personally. Got Virgin (but only for the BB, only minimum tv). Netflix for tv series and if there's anything that's not on there, I just download it from eztv.........

BB? You have it for big brother? Right oh.
  • I was basing this comparison on legal sources only.
  • Netflix has films, TV pros, stand up shows. Deffo recommend, they're showing breaking bad a few hours after it had been on in the USA.
  • Netflix is a really good proposition for TV and Movies, but they only have output deals with a couple of studios - MGM and Entertainment for example. Sky Movies has all the other big players - Fox, Universal, Disney - so get exclusivity on most films six months or more before Netflix.
    razil said:

I guess that was my question, given then changing nature of on demand for a base subscription in the market, and that they charge a stupid amount for films that are old from sky store, is it good value?

Sky Store has 1000 movies, 90 of which have just been released on DVD. If you have Sky already, Sky Store is good value for the new ones. That the old movies cost money is not relevant to your question, which was about Sky Movies - NOT Sky Store (two completely separate propositions) - I don't know why you're so fixated on the Store prices.

• Sky Movies to me implies old movies, Sky Store new ones.
  • edited September 2013
    razil said:

Sky Movies to me implies old movies, Sky Store new ones.

I think that sums up how badly the proposition is explained to customers then, cos that's not quite how it works.

This is the path a movie will follow (not entirely accurate but I'm trying to simplify)

Cinema - + 3 months: Sky Store - + 7 months: Sky Movies - + 3/6 months: Netflix - + 2 years: BBC/ ITV

Sky Movies is a subscription service. For £15 per month, you get access to 900+ movies. The PREMIERE movies are 10 months old (Taken 2 this week). Of the 900, 800 or so will be old movies from between 1900-2011

Sky Store is not related to Sky Movies. It is a collection of rentals, like a video store or LoveFilm's DVD service. Some movies are 3-4 months old (Star Trek Into Darkness, Iron Man 3) and the rest are old movies that are not available on subscription to Sky. You pay for these movies individually.

• I know the proposition. I think its daft to expect people to want to rent old movies and perhaps the licensing models in place perhaps don't support this, doesn't make it good value though, and puts massive holes in the on demand service via Sky Movies subscription. Let alone the constant repeating of the movie of the week nearly every day at the same times.
  • In reality though the new Store movies will come onto Sky Movies within a couple of months. It's always a bit of a rollercoaster though, the new movies haven't been great over the summer but they are somewhat dependent on what's come to the cinemas and when they can get hold of them. It's rare that a movie I missed at cinema and wanted to see hasn't appeared on Movies eventually. Convenient interface as well having them all available along with catch up through the On Demand service.

I like the service, but then I've not tried Netflix, Lovefilm etc. Not sure I'd buy it just for the movies, but as I have Sports the movies are added for a couple of quid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just signed upto the you view and bt vision with my broadband. Can't keep watching bt sport or iPlayer etc on my laptop!!
  • razil said:

I know the proposition

No, you really don't. Otherwise you wouldn't be whining about repeats. I've tried to do you a favour by explaining it, but frankly Razil, I don't think there was any point.

For instance, as I said, you get 900 movies ON DEMAND. You can watch Sky Movies on iPad, the set top box, on the desktop/ laptop, iPhone, Android... why do you care about the channels repeating movies?
  • rikofold said:

In reality though the new Store movies will come onto Sky Movies within a couple of months. It's always a bit of a rollercoaster though, the new movies haven't been great over the summer but they are somewhat dependent on what's come to the cinemas and when they can get hold of them. It's rare that a movie I missed at cinema and wanted to see hasn't appeared on Movies eventually. Convenient interface as well having them all available along with catch up through the On Demand service.

I like the service, but then I've not tried Netflix, Lovefilm etc. Not sure I'd buy it just for the movies, but as I have Sports the movies are added for a couple of quid.

Of the Sky Store titles, Lionsgate, Entertainment and MGM titles won't come to Sky Movies after Sky Store, they go to Netflix (The Hobbit, The Expendables, Twilight). Otherwise I totally and completely agree with you. Netflix is great for cross-device stuff, but until it's as easy as flicking around on the Sky box, they'll lag behind (Xbox1 might change that....)

• JiMMy 85 said:

rikofold said:

In reality though the new Store movies will come onto Sky Movies within a couple of months. It's always a bit of a rollercoaster though, the new movies haven't been great over the summer but they are somewhat dependent on what's come to the cinemas and when they can get hold of them. It's rare that a movie I missed at cinema and wanted to see hasn't appeared on Movies eventually. Convenient interface as well having them all available along with catch up through the On Demand service.

Of the Sky Store titles, Lionsgate, Entertainment and MGM titles won't come to Sky Movies after Sky Store, they go to Netflix (The Hobbit, The Expendables, Twilight). Otherwise I totally and completely agree with you. Netflix is great for cross-device stuff, but until it's as easy as flicking around on the Sky box, they'll lag behind (Xbox1 might change that....)

To be fair, Netflix is better value for money. I know because I've had both.
  • Thanks for the favour jimmy 85 (not)
  • razil said:

Thanks for the favour jimmy 85 (not)

If I'm not wrong, I think Jimmy is recommending that you give sky Movies a swerve.
  • razil said:

Thanks for the favour jimmy 85 (not)

Seriously? It's 1993? I don't think you deserved any responses to your original question. You appear to know it all anyway.

• Sorry I'm so undeserving, please feel free not to help me out in future.

:)
  • If this is what life without Sky does for you, I'm renewing
  • This seems to do the trick in my household.

http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/