Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cricket: West Indies v England

England won the toss and elected to bat.

England 8 - 1. Strauss caught for 7 off Taylor. Was dropped eariler on a duck, and looked nervy against Taylor.

Bell now in with Cook.

Comments

• Options
    Engalnd 31 - 2. Cook out for 4, with a gimme to mid on from Powell.
  • Options
    Was drinking with a fellah in the Lib before the last home game, he goes out there next week for a two week holiday with his cricket club - jammy git!
  • Options
    Expect more of the same from Strauss's game the longer he keeps the captaincy.

Doesn't strike me as a fella that can do both.
  • Options
    What number's Gritty batting?
  • Options
    Poor morning for England - 71 - 3. Bell's gone.

Two spinners on before lunch on the first day !
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    hahahaha England cricket quite parralel with our own fall from grace, world beaters 4 years ago and now look!!!

I heard on the radio this morn West Indies haven't won a teast series in 13 - a trend i'm sure we can buck..........
  • Options
    And they sacked their manager (Peter Moores) and gave the job on a caretaker basis to his assistant (Andy Flower) !
  • Options
    I missed the start. Black Armbands?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]I missed the start. Black Armbands?

For the late Bill Frindal.

Not going well, we're being terroised by the Windies spinners!
    4 down now, why or why do we keep picking Collingwood? He plays half a dozen bad innings, gets told he has one more chance and gets a score. Then he's back to being crap. Shah should play.
    Off for rain, how very English?

The Aussies must be quaking in their boots...
  • Options
    big cafc flag at ground does anyone no the people whos names are on it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pardew Dowie Reed Mills
  • Options
    180 on that deck will be more than enough batting 1 st and if harmy hits his straps he will be unplayable on that deck
  • Options
    oohaa is due to play in the 20 20 game
  • Options
    Could be interesting...the Windies will have to bat last on that strip.
  • Options
    i dont think the match will last the full 5 days
  • Options
    The key will be KP, if he gets a hundred then England could and should score 250 plus.
  • Options
    Crap! KP does a KP! You'd think 14 off the over would've been enough?
  • Options
    Yep...

Still I'd take 97 runs from our best batsman.

66.4 Benn to Pietersen, OUT, oh dear oh dear oh dear. It was an ungainly way to go, but Gayle kept his field in place and Pietersen's glory shot turned into an horrific spiralling top-edge. Ramdin called for it well, and claimed the catch!
    KP Pietersen c Ramdin b Benn 97 (172b 12x4 1x6) SR: 56.39
    66.3 Benn to Pietersen, SIX, that's huge. Down on one knee and flogged into the midwicket stands, and suddenly KP is on 97!
    66.2 Benn to Pietersen, FOUR, bosh. If Gayle was contemplating a change, this might encourage it. Swiped dismissively over the bowler's head for a second four
    66.1 Benn to Pietersen, FOUR, thumped. Gave himself room and clobbered the ball all along the ground and through the covers. Top shot
  • Options
    Very strange West Indies pitch, I did not think they did spinners anyway!!

Flintoff looks extra large today, not sure if it's fat or his posture due to his side injury but he looks awkward.

Cor thought they had him then.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]I missed the start. Black Armbands?

For the late Bill Frindal.

Thanks for that Chirpy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still got a bit of batting in us. Any guesses on a satisfactory total? 280 all out seems okay considering the poor start.
  • Options
    280 please, as you say darren, as we started poorly, 280 seems a good start!
  • Options
    Still a long way to go to get to 280 - Flintoff and Prior are our last two recognised batsmen so the runs they score are vital. On this track I'd take 250 and hope that it doesn't settle down on day two when the Windies are batting.
  • Options
    Everything that's good and bad about Pietersen in one innings.

Head and shoulders above everyone else , gets to 97 - and then the ego takes over, thinks he's going to smash his way to three figures with a six in order to put two fingers up to those who removed him as captain...predictable result.
  • Options
    Stuart Broad at eight can bat. Often been touted as a potential all-rounder
  • Options
    Ian Bell - can someone please make that useless twat go away?

At least Collingwood has got some grit and can grind runs out when it matters, also useful bowler and top-fielder.

Bell is a chronic non-achiever, take away his runs against Bangladesh and his average is very poor.

Doesn't matter what anyone says about KP's personality, and I have heard from people who have met him that he is a absolute ----, that bloke is the best batsman we have had since Goochie by a country mile, could end up our best ever player.

Just a shame he's not English!!!
  • Options
    Pietersen is getting better too, Strauss and Cook are good openers they have yet to prove me right for more than an innigs though!!

Ian Bell.... Hmmm Ian Bell, he looks a like he should be a good player much in the same way Mark Buthcer always did but for whatever reason just don't do it often enough bit like Jerome Thomas was for us
  • Options
    Drop Bell and give Shah a chance for FFS, its absolutely ridiculous.

If Vaughan scores a lot of runs for Warks (that is his new team?) then I'd also look at him for The Ashes to open or maybe bat at 3, the bloke has got real class.

My best XI would be: Strauss, Vaughan, Cook, KP, Shah, Flintoff, Prior, Broad, Sidebottom/Anderson, Harmison, Panesar.
  • Options
    OA

There is not much to inspir/inject fear into batsmen with that bowling attack I don't think, only Flintoff and Jones (S) and possibly Sidebottom would trouble a decent opposition batting line up out of our current bunch. Monty don't seem to have got much better since faith has been kept in him and Swann coming in and spinning India about hasn't helped the cut of his jib much..

Anderson I am gutted to say is too inconsistent and Harmison seems to be shot.

However..... I would have a confident Vaughan at number 3 keeping Cook and Strauss as openers Bell should be sent back to his county to notch up some runs and get in a spell of form. Shah must wonder what he has to do to get a game.
  • Options
    I understand what you mean Carter but we don't have much else do we?

Broad has to play because we can't have a tail that starts at number 8, the Aussies have Brett Lee at 8 and even Johnson and Hauritz and Krezja can all really bat. We can't have Sidebottom at 8, if we do then it will be six out - all out.

Harmison should be given a chance at home against the Aussies, he showed in the championship last year he is the best English qualified bowler around, there is nobody else.

Sidebottom, at the top of his game and bowling 85Mph plus, is a definite Test quality bowler. He can at least keep it tight if the the ball is not swinging - unlike Anderson.

Panesar is still the best we have, again he can at least bowl to a plan and keep it tight and I reckon Mushtaq's coaching could be brilliant for him. Swann is not in the same class.

Freddy picks himself, doesn't he?

We really need one of the young lads like Onions to put their hand up for a role and I still think Tremlett could be a hell of a good bowler if he can sort out his muscle problem - the one concerning his heart.