Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

STUART ATWELL!

At it again!

What a shocking performance in the Wigan v West Ham game!

Unbelievable!

He should NEVER ref at the top level or fizzy pop again!

Comments

• Options
    Oh gawd, what's he done now?
  • Options
    Does that mean he'll follow us down to the 3rd div? I hope not!
  • Options
    To be fair to the bloke from what I saw on Match of the Day people should have a go at the players not the ref. Both Carlton Cole's bookings could be justified as such, Cattermole's foul was terrible and rightly sent off. Parker & Neill should have both gone too. Maybe Attwell missed those 2 but it is a fast game and certainkly with the Parker incedent Atwell probably showed some common sense in not trying to ruin the game.

It amazes me how much refs get abused when Neill, Parker, Cattermole should be the ones to get abused after their shocking tackles / reactions.
  • Options
    Carlton Cole should NEVER have been sent off! (and I think Cole is a twat, by the way!) - by sending him off and letting Neill stay on the pitch - Cattermole was always going to happen.

Atwell was the cause AND effect of tonight's match
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]Carlton Cole should NEVER have been sent off! (and I think Cole is a twat, by the way!) - by sending him off and letting Neill stay on the pitch - Cattermole was always going to happen.

Atwell was the cause AND effect of tonight's match[/quote]

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, blame the ref, its always their fault.

As for "Cattermole was always going to happen"...only if the bloke is a fucking idiot, which of cause he clearly is.
  • Options
    It WAS his fault - he got the sending off wrong, which riled parker (and he should have been sent off for that - which wouldn't have happened, if he hadn't sent Cole off in the first place) - that led to Neill's challenge and then Cattermole's challenge on Parker.

Were you at the game he reffed for us?

Did you see the Derby game on Sky?

Did you see the goal he allowed at Watford?

He's an embarrasment
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]It WAS his fault - he got the sending off wrong

The biggest problem with referees is the idiot pundits that comment on them on MOTD. Great players they may have been but are they experts on the laws of the game? No they aren't

So sorry, I don't agree, the second yellow may not have been given by some refs but it was a serious foul.

Parker should have got a second yellow for his anger after Cole was sent off but the Ref didn't see it and neither did his assistants.

The sending off of Cattermole was a correct decision.

As far as I could see, the only decision he got wrong was the Neill lunge.

As has been said earlier, some of the challenges were shocking and some of the players need to take a long hard look at their reponsibilities because legs could have been broken tonight and careers jeopardised.
  • Options
    Parker's reaction was comical.
  • Options
    Funny thing is I think the second Cole booking is a new trend. His first in this day and age is always going to be a booking late and from behind, no matter what contact was made. As for the second he should never jump across the pitch with his foot raised like that, he should know a defender is going to attempt to clear it, he is brainless. TBH a Donny player got a booking on Tuesday for a high foot and that was a more realistic attempt to play the ball.
    Thing is that upsets most people is because it amounted to a second yellow, most summarisers hark back to the old days it is a shame but football has changed.

After that though he seemed to lose control and as said above Neill and Parker can both count themselves lucky. As for Parker when he was caught I thought he was entering a freestyle breakdance competition.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]
    He should NEVER ref at the top level or fizzy pop again!

That would be wishing him on us, mate.

I saw him destroying some QPR game. There was a moment when Cook - not my favourite person - got halved with a waste high tackle about 4 foot away from him directly in his line of sight and he just waved it on. The ball continued in the direction Cook was travelling, it was just so obvious. I'd honestly rather find out that him and Clattenburg are taking bribes, because the thought that anyone is that stupid, scares me.

After years of Poll dancing the fact that the FA allows these fools to make our game a laughing stock does not surprise me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The new Rob Styles.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, blame the ref, its always their fault.

It's hardly as if he cares one way or the other about the result. I think it's very valid that a football fan to express disgust about a ref, particularly when they're doing it as a neutral.

Your attitude is why we have such appalling refs in this country
  • Options
    Steve Bruce has criticised Cole's sending off and claims that Mr Atwell isn't ready yet.

I've never heard a manager disagree with a decision that has gone in his favour before.
  • Options
    I have't seen it but as Defoe says when a manager comes out and criticises the sending off of an oppo player something must be wrong.
  • Options
    Attwell is up for our new Director of Football.

According to the 'Fans Forum'?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]I have't seen it but as Defoe says when a manager comes out and criticises the sending off of an oppo player something must be wrong.
    Please do not refer to me as Defoe again!
  • Options
    ok harry
  • Options
    sorry defoe.
  • Options
    opps sorry :-)
  • Options
    I liked Zola's comments afterwards - that refs are human and make mistakes, and that the players had a lot to answer for too. A rather more mature approach than Steve Bruce's rant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "The second yellow was a serious foul" Really? His foot wasn't even that high and ref with a shred of common sense would have given the free kick and left it at that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Steve Bruce has criticised Cole's sending off and claims that Mr Atwell isn't ready yet.

I've never heard a manager disagree with a decision that has gone in his favour before.

It is a shame that more do not do it.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, blame the ref, its always their fault.
    [/quote]

It's hardly as if he cares one way or the other about the result. I think it's very valid that a football fan to express disgust about a ref, particularly when they're doing it as a neutral.

Your attitude is why we have such appalling refs in this country[/quote]

If refs are so appalling - who do you suggest we replace them with?
  • Options
    I remember after a game Ranieri said we should never blame the referee. That man was far to classy for the likes of Chelsea.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Just watching the Wigan-West Ham game now and here's what I think IMHO

First Cole yellow was a probably yellow, dangerous and from behind. Good goal from him too.
    Parker's yellow was warranted on Brown, maybe even a red as it was high
    His second he almost took the defender's head off ffs so Hand G is was a yellow definitely
    Parker should have gone for a second yellow and aggressive attitude
    Neill should have been redded but was only yellowed
    Cattermole rightly sent off.

To say is was Attwell's fault that Cattermole done Parker is woefully wide of the mark. He's a professional footballer. Parker's reaction was ott and aggressive and Neill's tackle was shocking but nothing and no one can condone or take responsibility for that tackle other than Cattermole himself.
    Alan Shearer - worst pundit ever, he's the clown - Cole first yellow, yes a question on that but Parker's yellow - did he not see him drag his studs down Michael Brown's shin??? And Shearer says he barely touches him!!! Also he questions Cole's second yellow, as I said above he almost takes the Wigan player's head off. If you notice Shearer has this bubbling anti-referee thing going on under the surface and is only too willing to give his less than expert advice when critisizing match officials....

I do feel sorry for Attwell, he didn't have the best of games when we played Palace but whenever he makes a decision he going to get the Watford 'goal' thrown at him as well as his age, he's in a no win situation...
    The players were a total disgrace tonight yet all anyone does is talk about the performance of the referee, just about sums is up for me....and that will trickle down to Sunday park football on the say so of a rubbish pundit like Shearer. Just heard of a player of a supply league team who I am reffing on Saturday who was booted out his club because he disagreed with being sent off by spitting at the referee.
  • Options
    Personally think the ref got it spot on.

But it was another death knell for the respect campaign.

How can it ever work when twats like Lawrenson slaughter Atwell on TV?

The poor sod gave what he thought were the correct decisions and IMHO, I think he got them right.
    Both teams should be fined for losing control and playing on the ref's inexperience and reputation.
  • Options
    He definatly didn't get Cole's right, or Neils.
  • Options
    First of Cole's yellows was debatable but the second he's got his foot head high so he's running the risk of a second yellow. I certainly don't think he got Cole's wrong per se and was within his rights to send him off. Neill's was wrong and the assessor will mark him down for that as well as Parker's red which should have come by hook or by crook.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I was expecting to open this thread and read a barrage of disproportionate abuse toward Stuart Atwell. i have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at what I've read, it's far more balanced and measured than I'd imagined.

I'm by no means a paid up member of the 'referee's union' but being a ref does make you see things in a different way.

Let's clear up the Carlton Cole thing. Please make the distinction between being sent off for a pure sending off offence and for picking up a second caution:

Of course the challenge wasn't worthy of a sending off, but he was sent off for picking up a second caution. A player treads a fine line when ge's already been booked and as we saw last night, he can find himself walking when some think the offence barely warranted it, but two yellows = a red has been in the laws of the game for as long as I can remember so that's that. FWIW I think Mr Atwell got it wrong, I don't think it was a caution. Cole was unlucky but he was not sent off for the challenge !

Regarding the behaviour of the players and Stuart Atwell's performance. We have two things going on here that, when combined, spell disaster - a young referee who arguably isn't ready yet, and top level professional footballers who think they can take advantage of this and use it as an excuse to overeact and take the p**s.

Basically it's a situation that no-one comes out with with any credit. Except maybe , ironically, Stuart Atwell.

Like a footballer would never in his right mind turn down a move of a lifetime, regardless of whether or not he's ready, nor would a referee turn down the chance of working in the 'best league in the world', especially if he's being told by all around him how brillaint he is, how he's the next big thing etc, which no doubt he has been. I heard about the game on the radio before seeing it on MOTD so I watched Mr Atwell closely. Despite clearly getting things wrong he seemed to continue to stick to his game very well, his positioning didn't suffer, nor did his concentration. This shows he is not a bad referee but maybe he's simply not quite read yet.

For me, the FA need to remove him from the firing line for a while and allow him to gain more experience, and maybe look at their whole fast-tracking thing.

Finally, I thought the behaviour of some of those players was disgraceful. Sure, maybe they felt standard of refereeing wasn't quite there but they took full advantage of this and the fact they know he's a young referee - younger than themselves in many cases. Parker in particular made himself look a total twat by his antics.

I'd like to think those players - and the FA - look back on last night and have a think about what actually went on and realise their part in it all. Sadly I know that won't happen and the referee will continue to be the scapegoat.