Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

be prepared ......

for grief from palace and millwall associates once our relegation is confirmed..... i've got some boring stats/facts that show which leagues we've all frequented, since we entered league football, over the years ...short term we might not be no.1 in south london but it will take a long time b4 we can be replaced historically as south londons no.1 club FACT

top tier
Charlton 26 seasons
Palace 13 seasons
Millwall 2 seasons

second tier
Charlton 41 seasons
Palace 33 seasons
Millwall 35 seasons

third tier
Charlton 14 seasons
Palace 33 seasons
Millwall 40 seasons

fourth tier
Chalton NEVER (yet!)
Palace 3 seasons
Millwall 5 seasons

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2009
    Well done Morts, you have beautifully underlined the argument that I have continually put to fans of these lesser clubs for the majority of the season. Facts are facts. Charlton are the region's biggest club and we are just having a bad few years. A bad history is all Millsmall know and as for Palace the term a history of mediocrity barely begins to describe them. Let the babies have their bottles!
    Top work.
  • Options
    Great post, OooohAaaagh - well worthy of a BUMP!

Read and digest folks, we might not be number one in South London next season - but compared to Palarse and the other rabble whose name escapes me, historically we are the MASSIVES ........ well maybe just in in S.London, anyway lol

;o)
  • Options
    THANKS OOAHAH
  • Options
    Tell us something we don't bloody know
  • Options
    Nice!
  • Options
    nice work ooh aah!

makes very pleasant reading I have to say
  • Options
    trouble is though, the average millwall fan doesn't know which numbers in those stats are higher.
  • Options
    Just had this from a client (guess who he supports)

Hi Ben....looks like we won't be playing you next season....but hey...what goes around....can't quite remember what you said when that equaliser that sent us down went in....!!!

However...onto work!

Guess what I sent him back
  • Options
    The stats don't lie but how many of you were even born let alone actually remember many of your seasons in the top flight? The majority of your major honours/highest average attendances are before WW2!

Slightly clutching me thinks but you are still South London's Number One, for now...
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: churley1[/cite]The stats don't lie but how many of you were even born let alone actually remember many of your seasons in the top flight? The majority of your major honours/highest average attendances are before WW2!

Slightly clutching me thinks but you are still South London's Number One, for now...

12 of our last 22 seasons have been in the top flight...FACT
    10 of our 13 years in the third tier were pre war .... FACT

two fa cup finals after the war and we won one of them;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Just had this from a client (guess who he supports)

Hi Ben....looks like we won't be playing you next season....but hey...what goes around....can't quite remember what you said when that equaliser that sent us down went in....!!!

However...onto work!

Guess what I sent him back

Nice one Ben!
  • Options
    If we go by these stats, history says we will be back in the upper regions before you know it (after 1 season hopefully!!)
  • Options
    trouble is though, the average millwall fan doesn't know which numbers in those stats are higher.
    Haaaa ha ha!
  • Options
    Only 14 clubs have ever recorded an average attendance of over 40,000 for a season.
    Charlton are one of those 14.

Palace's highest attendance of just over 51,000 has been surpassed on over 20 occasions by Charlton.
  • Options
    I like this thread :-)
  • Options
    We are a London club Palace is a Croydon club.
  • Options
    Great work, Morts.

The only thing you forgot was to remind us how many of those seasons in the top flight were under Sir Alan Curbishley!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]
    Palace's highest attendance of just over 51,000 has been surpassed on over 20 occasions by Charlton.

"I wish I'd said that."

"you will, Henry, you will"

Thanks Six a bag - will be saving that one up
  • Options
    Oh, er, okay Henry.
    (Quickly scampers up loft for dusty textbook in hope that speculative punt is confirmed by facts)
    ;-)

Phew.............
  • Options
    six a bag , do you know which season the plus 40k average was , i can remember colin cameron mentioning it b4 but have no idea when it was
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I believe it was 1948/49, oohaah, but might have been the one after.

This is where we missed our big opportunity to kick on and become the Arsenal/Spurs of south London. But that's another discussion.
  • Options
    cheers six -a-bag..... if only sir stanley matthews had been purchased and the ground made bigger, who knows we'd be slagging charlton off as one of the big 5 !!
  • Options
    Jimmy Seed, in his book, makes a big thing of how he wanted the directors to invest in more covered accomodation , seating and comfort for fans at the Valley.
    He suggests that having shelled out to "save" us when they took over, the Gliksten's were scared to invest any more money that they might not get back.
    The post war soccer boom and Charlton's standing surely would have made the punt worthwile?

As for Matthews; Seed said he made a genuine offer to their manager which he agreed to think over (£13,000 - a tidy sum then).
    However he had not consulted Gliksten, hoping that if he got a quick "yes" he could sell the potential benefits to him.
    In the event the Blackpool board said no chance and when Seed was forced to tell Gliksten (fearing the media would break the story) Gliksten killed the idea stone dead.

It's really open to argument whether the Gliksten's should have speculated to accumulate at that time.
    Received wisdom (which I agree with) is they missed a golden opportunity.
    But as Derek Ufton said on the Centenary DVD these are businessmen that would have acted on the advice of the financial advisers and their bankers who may have thought the soccer boom would fade.
  • Options
    Quality thread.

Made me feel slightly better.
  • Options
    Great post about Seed and Sir Stan, Nutters.

Seed also said in his book ..... that perhaps it was just as well the Sir Stan transfer fell through, as war broke out 6 months later when the brand new season was abandoned.

No League football was subsequently played for 6 years - the £13,000 transfer fee would have been a heavy burden to Charlton without incoming revenue to justify the expense.
  • Options
    Compare and Contrast

Jimmy Seed 1939 ish and Stanley Matthews and (£13k in total)
    Alan Pardew 2007/8 ish and Christensen (£13k in a few weeks)

And in both cases the Board were slightly out of the loop.......
  • Options
    Superb information! Especially for those under 60. :-)
  • Options
    brilliant
  • Options
    The 40's and the 50's must have been a great time to watch Charlton.

You have a great history, and I'm sure that when you are on your way to Bury and Rochdale next year, you will be able to reminisce about your FA cup victory.

However if I really wanted to support a team, because of there history, I think I'd go for Liverpool or Man U, at least I'd have witnessed most of there history, rather than been told about it, by my grandparents. ;-)
  • Options
    That's only a part of our history, Budgie ..... and the last 25 years on their own have been quite remarkable, and very different from most clubs including your own.

Charlton supporters of today know that - and so do many other club's supporters, who appreciate our achievements in adversity.

In years to come, generations of Charlton supporters and even general football historians will be intrigued.
    And true supporters of football don't need to be one of the 'Sky 4' or any other of the media circus clubs to be proud of their club's history.

That's right, isn't it .... ?

;o)