Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

be prepared ......

Comments

• Options
    Oggy, as you say in your very recent history, especially post Selhurst you have had an incredible time, and rightly held up as an example to many aspiring teams, such as Palace. I don't know what the future holds for you, a lot of teams have reacted diffently with relegation from the Championship, and frankly no one can honestly predict how you will handle it, but you do have plusses, such as your ground, so I hope you do bounce back (bouncebackabilty).

As for Palaces's history or lack of it, I have been supporting them since 1968, and seen some great times, such as promotions, trips to Wembley, and the MIllenium stadium. One great thing about being a Palace fan in that time, is that there has rarely been a boring time, we have always seemed to be in the promotion or relegation picture, apart fro this year , and the occasional other.

I certainly wouldn't swap it for one of the Sky 4, how boring it must be, they can't have any real connection with there club, unlike supporters of teams like Charlton and Palace.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]The 40's and the 50's must have been a great time to watch Charlton.

You have a great history, and I'm sure that when you are on your way to Bury and Rochdale next year, you will be able to reminisce about your FA cup victory.

However if I really wanted to support a team, because of there history, I think I'd go for Liverpool or Man U, at least I'd have witnessed most of there history, rather than been told about it, by my grandparents. ;-)[/quote]

I don't see your point, other than to slip in a sly dig about where we are headed next season.
    History is history, it doesn't start and end in your lifetime.

If you honestly think we support Charlton because of their history, as you infer in your second paragraph, you must be a bigger idiot than you appear.

Having said that, we are I think rightly proud of our modest achievements, whenever they have occured.
    Ultimately though, we are Charlton fans and will continue to follow them in the 3rd division; something your grandfather can tell you plenty about.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I suppose at least we have won the cup. I think that Morts initial post stands up to scrutiny and that is the response that will hold water until we commence the fightback. Although Budgies last points were fair IMO.
  • Options
    We won the ZDS.

;)
  • Options
    Warm hand shake Mr B!
  • Options
    I thank you.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]We won the ZDS.

;)

I'm envious Budgie, we've only ever been beaten finalists.

So Palace really do have one up on us. ...... (!)

;o)
  • Options
    I'm happy enough with the play off final trophy win , and all the good years that followed. You can keep your ZDS.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BexleyRed[/cite]I'm happy enough with the play off final trophy win , and all the good years that followed. You can keep your ZDS.

I'm even more happy with our 2 play off final wins.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BexleyRed[/cite]I'm happy enough with the play off final trophy win , and all the good years that followed. You can keep your ZDS.

Funny that nobody talks about the Palace Play off wins, yet people still speak about the 98 final - Wonder why?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]

Funny that nobody talks about the Palace Play off wins, yet people still speak about the 98 final - Wonder why?

Because of the nutter on the pitch before hand trying to get the Charlton fans to make a noise?
  • Options
    ;) And having 38000 Mackems questioning your parentage and sexual preferences as well!

That was fun
  • Options
    Lets not forget 1987 v Leeds as well as 1998! That make 2 Play off final wins in my book!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Lets not forget 1987 v Leeds as well as 1998! That make 2 Play off final wins in my book!

How the bloody hell did we all forget that?

Super Peter Shirtliff - Poor old John Helm was distraught that a Yorkshirman had kept Leeds from going up.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Spot on, Pilchard and BDL !
  • Options
    Oh and Budgie, why was Ron Noades so desperate to merge Charlton with Palace? It very nearly happened, only a covenant on th Supermarket prevented it? Henry will confirm (I Hope!)
  • Options

I'm even more happy with our 7 consecutive seasons in the premiership. :-)
  • Options
    And our 8 out of 9 seasons in the aforementioned league!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Oh and Budgie, why was Ron Noades so desperate to merge Charlton with Palace? It very nearly happened, only a covenant on th Supermarket prevented it? Henry will confirm (I Hope!)

Something at last, that we can all agree we are pleased never happened.

Don't forget it wasn't just Charlton, Ron wanted to merge us with Wimbledon as well. Come to think of it, that's another thing most Palace fan's agree with you on, Ron Noades is a money grabbing ****.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Oh and Budgie, why was Ron Noades so desperate to merge Charlton with Palace? It very nearly happened, only a covenant on th Supermarket prevented it? Henry will confirm (I Hope!)

Don't forget it wasn't just Charlton, Ron wanted to merge us with Wimbledon as well. Come to think of it, that's another thing most Palace fan's agree with you on, Ron Noades is a money grabbing ****.

Very close indeed to a merger according to people who were around at the time.

How history might have been different with a South London Utd.

Horrible thought. As Budgie says one thing we can agree on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I've actually warmed a bit to dear old Ron over the years. Must be the knowledge that having taken us for a ride he then f*cked Palace over big time - and arguably still is doing what with allthe hoo ha about ground ownership - so at least we now know it wasn't personal!
  • Options
    What's Palace's longest run of consecutive seasons in the Premier League?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]What's Palace's longest run of consecutive seasons in the Premier League?

Why have you got an "s" after season?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]What's Palace's longest run of consecutive seasons in the Premier League?

Why have you got an "s" after season?

Come on G., are you trying to tell me they've never played two consecutive seasons in the Premier League?

I'm finding that hard to believe : - )
  • Options
    Not sure, but I do know that they hold the record for the most relegations from it.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Not sure, but I do know that they hold the record for the most relegations from it.[/quote]

How many is that?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Not sure, but I do know that they hold the record for the most relegations from it.

How many is that?

Twice as many as us.
  • Options
    I wish we had the chance to catch up with them on that one!
  • Options

Following our promotion to League One in 1989, we then managed to stay in the top flight for 4yrs, in fact 1992-93 we were founder members of the Premiership, unfortunately after that, things did start to go a little sour. But including our founding year, we have been in the prem on 4 occasions, and sadly been relegated 4 occasions too.

However it may have been even worse, in the 2000-2001 season, if we hadn't won our last game of the season at Stockport, we would have been relegated to division 3. Thankfully that didn't happen, and we continue to be South Londond number one. ;-)
  • Options

.....and we continue to be South Londond number one. ;-)

True, this'll will be your second year in a row. Quite an achievement really.

A couple of questions though, Budgie:
    1) How many years in Palace history have they been No1 in South London ?
    2) So no doubt they've been No1 in South London more times than Charlton?

Answers on a postcard please. ;o)