Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

be prepared ......

13»

Comments

• Options
    A couple of questions though, Budgie:
    1) How many years in Palace history have they been No1 in South London ?
    2) So no doubt they've been No1 in South London more times than Charlton?

To be fair they were the team of the 80s though, even if they spent most of it in division two.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]What's Palace's longest run of consecutive seasons in the Premier League?

Following our promotion to League One in 1989, we then managed to stay in the top flight for 4yrs, in fact 1992-93 we were founder members of the Premiership, unfortunately after that, things did start to go a little sour. But including our founding year, we have been in the prem on 4 occasions, and sadly been relegated 4 occasions too.

However it may have been even worse, in the 2000-2001 season, if we hadn't won our last game of the season at Stockport, we would have been relegated to division 3. Thankfully that didn't happen, and we continue to be South Londond number one. ;-)

Didn't ask about top flight but Premier League. So the answer is 1 season is most "consecutive" seasons Palace have achieved.

If we are extending to top flight then our 20 years in the 30,40s and 50s and our 7 years this century puts us at number 1 and 2 in South London. Again.

Sure Palace will have the highest league placing at the end of this season but if that makes them number now then we were number one for most of the last decade and all the time from about 1933 until 1969
  • Options
    End of the day in league 1 we will still have higher attendances - we will just use the kids for a quid thing ;o)
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]However it may have been even worse, in the 2000-2001 season, if we hadn't won our last game of the season at Stockport, we would have been relegated to division 3. Thankfully that didn't happen, and we continue to be South Londond number one. ;-)
    I'm still not happy about that, blatant handball by Freeman.

I'm loving this clutching at straws thread!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]Lets not forget 1987 v Leeds as well as 1998! That make 2 Play off final wins in my book!

Well said sir.

Still the only side from a higher division to win a play-off final and the only side to win a play-off replay.

We won't mention the play-off Semi we lost : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]However it may have been even worse, in the 2000-2001 season, if we hadn't won our last game of the season at Stockport, we would have been relegated to division 3. Thankfully that didn't happen, and we continue to be South Londond number one. ;-)
    I'm still not happy about that, blatant handball by Freeman.

I'm loving this clutching at straws thread!

The handball was by Hopkin, probably the only time I can remember a major incorrect decision going Palace's way.

Thankyou Mr Leake
  • Options
    There was a season where palace came in the last four of every competition.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]There was a season where palace came in the last four of every competition.

Did that include the last 4 of the League table ... ?

;o)
  • Options
    Unfortunately yes, FA cup semi, League cup semi, and 4th from bottom Premier league the year 4 went down, now that's unlucky.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Still the only side from a higher division to win a play-off final and the only side to win a play-off replay.

We won't mention the play-off Semi we lost : - )
    Aren't we the only club to make it to an FA Cup final despite losing a game along the way as well?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didnt the ball burst in 2 consecutive FA cup finals we were in ?
  • Options
    Yes and yes.

And still the only SE London club to WIN an FA Cup final as well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Yes and yes.

And still the only SE London club to WIN an FA Cup final as well.

Does that make us Number one in SE London for appearances in FA Cup finals....? lol

Palace made a final once - and incredibly so did Millwall, who never even had to face a top flight club until the actual final.

And both Palace and Millwall are still waiting to appear in 2 consecutive FA Cup finals.

;o)