Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Weird animals in UK

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]I was first aware of green parakeets around 1960/61 in Beckenham Place Park. There was a fairly large established colony living in the poplar trees along the banks of the River Ravensbourne in the area of the park near Bromley Hill/Downham....so there's nothing new about them in SE London.
    Where they first originated from is open to debate....but I wouldn't mind betting that the ones you see around nowadays in SE London (and more and more frequently it would seem), are direct decendents of that colony.

Some old boy told us when we were playing at Beckenham that the boxer, Nigel Benn had a house backing on to Beckenham golf course and some toerags tried to break into his house while he was away fighting, they couldn't because of the security system so on leaving they smashed an avairy door in and all the parakeets escaped, this would have been in the 80s I think, not sure how true that is though. But its a great story if true.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]I was first aware of green parakeets around 1960/61 in Beckenham Place Park. There was a fairly large established colony living in the poplar trees along the banks of the River Ravensbourne in the area of the park near Bromley Hill/Downham....so there's nothing new about them in SE London.
    Where they first originated from is open to debate....but I wouldn't mind betting that the ones you see around nowadays in SE London (and more and more frequently it would seem), are direct decendents of that colony.

Some old boy told us when we were playing at Beckenham that the boxer, Nigel Benn had a house backing on to Beckenham golf course and some toerags tried to break into his house while he was away fighting, they couldn't because of the security system so on leaving they smashed an avairy door in and all the parakeets escaped, this would have been in the 80s I think, not sure how true that is though. But its a great story if true.

I used to live almost next door to Nigel...he didn't move into Beckenham Place Park until around 1987/88 at a guess.The parakeets had been there since the 1950's.
    He still lives there by the way.
  • Options
    .....breaking INTO Nigel Benns place........

sensible !!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite].....breaking INTO Nigel Benns place........

sensible !!

I make you right! but as they couldn't get in, they tried Duncan Fergusons gaff I cant remember what happened to them after that ;)
  • Options
    I saw 'em driving around in Kevin Pressman's spare BMW for awhile, until some fat bloke sat on them.
  • Options
    They don't exist though do they Leroy ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]bbc link

Errrmmmm i wonder how far he had to run to his car for his camera? He dont sound very fit for a police officer..or else he was excited about the sighting.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    That's a domestic cat - about two and a half feet long. Same size as one of mine, in fact. It doesn't walk like a big cat, and certainly wouldn't be walking along a f***ing railway line if it was
  • Options
    LOL i'll take the police officer's word thanks Leroy!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Parakeets around the Glade in Sidcup were there back in the 1960's and in quite large numbers too. I heard at the time, that a small colony escaped from a private collector around Bexley somewhere, and adapted well enough to breed sucessfully.....

Wallabies have been wild around Canterbury since the late 1970's GH.....doing quite well too. There are colonies in Oxfordshire and Bucks as well.

Ive seen Pine Martens in the wild in Scotland on a few occasions. Wasnt there some documentary last year on an invasion of Chinese crabs in the Thames which were destroying all the native species too.....they had some bloke fishing them out of a creek in Deptford.

I thought, but couldnt be absolutley sure that I saw what appeared to be a Panther whilst I was fishing a lake down near Paddock Wood a few years back, I didnt make much of a song and dance about it, but My ex father in laws brother fished the same lakes and whilst visiting in hospital just prior to his death, he said he thought he had seen a black panther on two ocassions at the same lakes.......so who knows....maybe they are out there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]LOL i'll take the police officer's word thanks Leroy!
    You do that. Policemen are the most trustworthy individuals in society by far.
  • Options
    Thanks - I'll remember that when my training begins ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Thanks - I'll remember that when my training begins ;o)
    LOL - NOW it makes sense. You believe this cretin because he's a copper... because you're going to be one yourself! :o)
  • Options
    Hexactly lol

Sorry Leroy should have said!
  • Options
    daz 21 stand in front of a mirror bible in hand say "the truth nothing but the truth so help me God" , then lie like a bastard. If you can do that your at least 75% there. and learn the following ;

"when did you make your notes offficer?"
    "15 mins after i nicked the scum bag your honour"
    " and you didnt confere with your fellow officers?"
    " No sir"

or

" I couldnt tell it was achair leg, it was wrapped up"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Hexactly lol

Sorry Leroy should have said!

Imagine Dazzler in a sprint chase!! lol He couldn't catch a cold that dude.

By the way i totally agree with Leroy!! What a load of tosh, and Old bill cannot be trusted as far as i could launch one!! This thread is funny as foook tho lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Thanks - I'll remember that when my training begins ;o)

You cant really want to be a pig, surely.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]If someone had told me a few years ago i would have paraquets inmy garden every day i would have said b*ll*x.

years back down by the level crossing near the Royal Oak im sure i saw two deer in the woods as i drove past. Stopped the car and went back
    nothing there , im sure i saw them, but cant see how deer would be in those woods. It was early in the morning and i was coming home from work ---maybe i needed my bed.

they have deer in maryon wilson park.
    probably some herberts cut open the pen, and the deer wandered across into gilberts pit which leads to right by the crossing.

now the b'stard herberts just drop their dogs into the pen to attack the animals.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Thanks Stu and anyone else who wants to question me on this but yeah I do want to be a "pig" (or Police Officer) i want to catch the people who go out with the intention to stab one another.

I want to catch those whom are happy to kill innocent people like Rob Knox, Reese Jones and Damilo le Taylor.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Thanks Stu and anyone else who wants to question me on this but yeah I do want to be a "pig" (or Police Officer) i want to catch the people who go out with the intention to stab one another.

I want to catch those whom are happy to kill innocent people like Rob Knox, Reese Jones and Damilo le Taylor.
    Well, your attention to detail marks you out as top-notch constabulary material. Its 'Damilola Taylor', 'Rhys Jones', and the latter was shot, not stabbed.

You'll make a fine Police Officer.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    if you read that sentance rather than just showing your awkwardness towards me, you'll actually see that it is seperate from the first line and i was just using innocent examples who are known.

I apologise for my spelling of their names I should have done better with that.

You are obviously not the kind of person to be reasoned with especially seeing as you probably have had a bad experience and you have taken to that badly. I though have had bad experiences my brother was locked up for 20 months for a petty crime, the emergency services both Police and Ambulance reacted too slowly when I phoned them after finding my mother dead after returning home when i was 13 for that I am one of the few that actually wants to stop crime and help improve the police force rather than letting all the crap carry on around me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]if you read that sentance rather than just showing your awkwardness towards me, you'll actually see that it is seperate from the first line and i was just using innocent examples who are known.

I apologise for my spelling of their names I should have done better with that.

You are obviously not the kind of person to be reasoned with especially seeing as you probably have had a bad experience and you have taken to that badly. I though have had bad experiences my brother was locked up for 20 months for a petty crime, the emergency services both Police and Ambulance reacted too slowly when I phoned them after finding my mother dead after returning home when i was 13 for that I am one of the few that actually wants to stop crime and help improve the police force rather than letting all the crap carry on around me.

Good on you mate.
  • Options
    There are plenty of decent coppers out there. Yes there are also a number of corrupt ones. Same as people in life generally.
    I don't know you dazzler but good luck to you if that is what you want to do and I hope you make a difference in the way that you want.
    I've met coppers that are dodgy but most I have encountered have been all right and done their job properly.
  • Options
    Cheers Guys.
  • Options
    Over here in Richmond, here are loads of paraqueets. Apparently they have a life span of 35 years, with no natural predator (apart from the likes of Goonerhater). They are certainly not fazed by me when I go and wave my arms at them. The point being that, despite having lots of seed for the birds, I have not seen a little bird, sparrow, blue tit, finch etc in my garden for weeks. I suspect the paraqueets and magpies are eating the eggs and maybe the little birds themselves. The birdie story I heard was that after making Treasure Island at Shepperton Studios the paraqeets escaped and surprisingly survived the English winter.
    To support Leroy, (although in reality i do think there are big cats on the prowl) I used to know the son of the Charlton Dr. who told me a great tale about taking the big stuffed cat down, a jaguar I think, from the wall in the golf club at Shooters Hill and making paw prints for the local press to look at. Apparently they only had the right leg so all the paw prints were the same. The press were taken in and the next day it was headlines in the sub-standard.
    'Big cat loose in Shoters Hill Woods' or something like that. Great prank if true!
  • Options
    And being a wolf you would know.
  • Options
    A wallaby ran across the road in front of me in Corby. I think...............
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thewolfboy[/cite]Over here in Richmond, here are loads of paraqueets. Apparently they have a life span of 35 years, with no natural predator (apart from the likes of Goonerhater). They are certainly not fazed by me when I go and wave my arms at them. The point being that, despite having lots of seed for the birds, I have not seen a little bird, sparrow, blue tit, finch etc in my garden for weeks. I suspect the paraqueets and magpies are eating the eggs and maybe the little birds themselves. The birdie story I heard was that after making Treasure Island at Shepperton Studios the paraqeets escaped and surprisingly survived the English winter.
    To support Leroy, (although in reality i do think there are big cats on the prowl) I used to know the son of the Charlton Dr. who told me a great tale about taking the big stuffed cat down, a jaguar I think, from the wall in the golf club at Shooters Hill and making paw prints for the local press to look at. Apparently they only had the right leg so all the paw prints were the same. The press were taken in and the next day it was headlines in the sub-standard.
    'Big cat loose in Shoters Hill Woods' or something like that. Great prank if true!

Its more likely to be me on the way home from the pub on all fours, than a big cat loose on Shootershill ;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HandG[/cite]A wallaby ran across the road in front of me in Corby. I think...............

A lion ran across the road in front of me in The Old Kent Road and I drove straight at him!