Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thanks from Steve Sutherland

edited May 2009 in General Charlton
I am now going to do something that I never thought I would ever do - post a message on a supporters' website forum! However I want to take this opportunity to thank the Charlton Life members for their kind words and all the other Charlton fans who have taken the trouble to e-mail me and to call me since the news of my departure became known. That said, as Ben Hayes knows you haven't always been my most favourite people and I wanted to punch your collective lights out last year when you rubbished my JD Sports deal and Joma's new kit design! However, I have always understood that we are all driven by the same motivation; the success of this great football club.

It is obviously a great wrench to be leaving a club that I have supported all my life and which I have served professionally in two spells since 1988 when I was based in a portakabin at Selhurst Park. I am sad to be leaving in such disppointing circumstances but when you sign up to work for a football club you know that your success is ultimately linked to the success of the 11 people on the green bit - oh and a bloke in the dug-out!

I was asked recently what my personal highlights have been during my two spells at the club and to be honest there have been too many to list. That said, I am particularly proud of the creation of Valley Gold, my radio show 'Charlton Chat', the Valley clean-up day, that memorable night at Woolwich Town Hall (can you name the top table on stage that evening?), then later the North Stand Patrons' scheme which Peter Varney and I first discussed on a CAFC Veterans' Tour to Spain, the 'Turning the Tables' TV documentary when I joined Plymouth for a week, the Llanera deal, the biggest in the club's history and my personal favourite, the erection of the Sam Bartram statue on the club's 100th birthday.

I intend to stay involved with the club via my work as chairman of several CAFC Community Trust projects including the 'Street Violence Ruins Lives' project which I am intensely proud of and I hope to help the club with some commercial projects over the coming weeks.

The important thing now is for all true Charlton fans to get behind the club to help it to get back back to where it should be. I am convinced that the club has a bright future and who knows, if Eddie Firmani and Chris Powell can come back three times then there's hope for me yet!

Best wishes

Steve Sutherland

Comments

• Options
    All the best for the future Steve; Hopefully you'll be back with the club in a year or so.
    Paul.
  • Options
    Good luck Steve. Hope you come back fitter and stronger just like Charlton.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    All the best old son.....I very much hope you (and many others) will be back as and when finances and conditions allow.......Stu M.
  • Options
    good luck
  • Options
    All the best Steve, thanks for bothering to post and for all the great work you've put into the club over the years
  • Options
    Good luck Steve
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Suthers[/cite]you haven't always been my most favourite people and I wanted to punch your collective lights out last year when you rubbished my JD Sports deal and Joma's new kit design!
    Lol.

Thanks for coming on and posting Steve and best of luck.
  • Options
    Oh yeah....I meant to say Steve...now that you're just a fan again, there's nothing to stop you posting on here more often.
  • Options
    At least you picked the right site to post on! ;o)

Seriously though, thanks for everything. It's a sad way to (temporarily?) end your service to CAFC, but focus on all the positives you've achieved over the years and the ones you can continue to influence with the Trust initiatives.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Oh yeah....I meant to say Steve...now that you're just a fan again, there's nothing to stop you posting on here more often.

But not moaning about the PA Announcer eh?

Steve, it's been an absolute pleasure working with you and can I publicly thank you for all your support over the years.

Looking forward to that pint or 5 (first round is on me!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Oh yeah....I meant to say Steve...now that you're just a fan again, there's nothing to stop you posting on here more often.

Or moaning about the amount of time it takes to get a beer at half time!
  • Options
    Nice one

Good luck
  • Options
    This is why I love this club!!

Good luck Steve - hope to see you back in some capacity soon
  • Options
    All the best Steve.
    Danny
  • Options
    Spoke to Steve yesterday but only briefly as he was busy packing away all his beauty products and mirrors : - )

I'm sure we'll be hearing from and about Suthers again soon.

In bocca al lupo!
  • Options
    Best of luck Steve as already posted below.

Another shit day for Charlton.
  • Options
    All the best Steve, hope everything works out.
  • Options
    Quality & honest post, nice one Steve, best of luck.
  • Options
    good luck sir!
  • Options
    Like you said steve "all we want is our club to be successful" good luck to you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    See ya Suthers - È stato un piacere
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]See ya Suthers - È stato un piacere

You love him like a donkey ??

Thanks for taking the time Steve, hope things all work out.
  • Options
    I thought it translated as something else 'like a donkey'??

Good luck Steve, with all the hard work you've put in over the years I'm sure you'll find a new job no problem
  • Options
    Good Luck and thanks Steve.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Who would have thought it would end like this after the Plymouth Charlton job share, good luck for the future, I hope it all works out for you. Whatever else has happened you have great experience and I am sure, whether it is in football or some other sport you will be snapped up. Work your contacts and I hope to see your name up in lights in 2012.
  • Options
    Good luck mate, can't believe that dancing to the Clap-clap song in Danson Park didn't feature among the highlights though...
  • Options
    Very little to say in the circumstances other than thanks for what you have done and good luck for the future.
  • Options
    Good luck Steve...
  • Options
    Good luck, Steve - like you, I, too, have treasured memories if those Sunday evenings behind the microphone in the old studios of RTM Radio doing 'Charlton Chat' ( "That's easy for you to say! "), and of working with you when helping John Fuller in the PA Room at Selhurst, which is where the idea of the radio show was born.

I know that if you cut yourself, you bleed 'Charlton', so let's hope that something positive will come from this negative situation. All the best, old friend.

Clive R
  • Options
    I am sure one day you WILL return.
    Good luck, see you at Bluewater sometime.