Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dieting / getting fit

A couple of weeks eating rabbit food, exercising 5 times a week and only the briefest foray into drunkeness, i've come to the conclusion its a bloody lot of life-changing effort for little reward.

Anyone on a health kick at the moment ? Tips from a previous regime ?

Discuss

Comments

• Options
    Well since giving up smoking I've felt pretty good...
  • Options
    Yes, I put on a stone since getting married in December so 13 stone, want to get down to 11.

Cycle to work 24 mile round trip, cut down portion sizes and skip dinner on Tues & Thursdays, seems to be the only way I can lose about 3-4lb a week (assuming i stick to it) no boozing at all though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]A couple of weeks eating rabbit food, exercising 5 times a week and only the briefest foray into drunkeness, i've come to the conclusion its a bloody lot of life-changing effort for little reward.

Anyone on a health kick at the moment ? Tips from a previous regime ?

Discuss

I have just started running twice a week to lose a bit of weight, the route I take is 2 miles and at the moment I am walking and running it, my aim is to get round without any walks before making a decision to move up.

I am not in bad shape (5' 11" and 13st 8lb) but I would like to get down in the 12st region.

One of mates is a fireman and he suggested running, he does it plus he eats and drinks what he wants, its the running that keeps him trim.

Stick with it AFKA, go for that ripped body for the summer :-)
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited May 2009
    sarah@dietlady.co.uk

Cambridge diet, only way to go....plug, plug. :D
  • Options
    vodka has less calories than beer..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]
    no boozing at all though.

this appears to be the stumbling block.

And none of this "have a vodka with a slimline mixer" malarky. Its every blokes right to go to the pub and enjoy a calorie-laden beer.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I forgot but Razil mentioned it, I run on Tues & Thurs and skip dinner when I get in, I just have a jacket potatoe!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]
    no boozing at all though.

this appears to be the stumbling block.

And none of this "have a vodka with a slimline mixer" malarky. Its every blokes right to go to the pub and enjoy a calorie-laden beer.

Drink bitter. About half the calories of lager.

I'm having job shifting my surplus stone I put on most winters/xmas'. Maybe my age.
  • Options
    alcohol is my downfall also sadly. i'ved tried vodka and tonics... so boring!

I do 3 spins classes a week and also an hour with a personal trainer... which im just off to now (dreading) and am good mainly all week food wise but come thursday night it all goes wrong till sunday night and i put back on what i had lost during the few good days!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]Well since giving up smoking I've felt pretty good...

Have you? Cor, thats only the 50th time you've told me now! :-)

Just started going back to the gym this week after comments from one or two on here the last couple of weeks asking if it was me that was pregnant not the missus! Quite enjoy running so been doing 2 or 3 miles on the treadmill hope to do it 3 or 4 times a week.

My mate is training for a fight at the end of the year as well so be going down to Gumshields with him once or twice a week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    since i saw myself on the pictures at derby, i am trying hard to sort myself out. Sunday was my last big drinking session untill august, also have packed up the fags not had a snout since sunday so doing well plenty of chewing gum but going cold turkey think all the patches and stuff are a con. Also incredaibaly have been given a place for next years London Marathon (details to folow on that one) so anyone who knows me will be laughing out of there arse now as there is no way 18 stone plus of Adam would make 27 miles.. But i am going to do it this time next year i hope to be around 14 stone ish.. needs to be done for me and the kids dont want them having a fat dad who cant play football with them or chase them around.. It will be done... oh yes it will be done...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curbey[/cite]vodka has less calories than beer..

Vodka itself has no calories it's only the mixers - so Drink it straight! (Cheaper night too after a few of them)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]Well since giving up smoking I've felt pretty good...

Have you? Cor, thats only the 50th time you've told me now! :-)

Well I'm just glad you're here to hear it and not pulling another disappearing act in the pub mid session... :o)
  • Options
    my mate eats and drinks what he wants and is a fitness instructor, you can have beers with the lads and curry just you have to work it off at somepoint he says, maybe not the day after but within 4 days you have to do 30mins plus to get rid.
  • Options
    Definitely do running but go out and about rather than on a treadmill as street running is harder. And probably more enjoyable now it's still light in the evenings and getting warmer
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]sarah@dietlady.co.uk

Cambridge diet, only way to go....plug, plug. :D

Honest it works if you stick to it, my other half lost 5 stone 2 summers ago, now she maintains and eats fairly much what she wants, she now counsells other dieters in her part time.
    If you want to lose weight quickly for an event (wedding, holiday etc) which most women tend to want to do, then its the perfect short term solution.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]my mate eats and drinks what he wants and is a fitness instructor, you can have beers with the lads and curry just you have to work it off at somepoint he says, maybe not the day after but within 4 days you have to do 30mins plus to get rid.

That's good to maintain a physique but to lose weight you need to 30-45 mins rigorous excercise 3-5 times a week as well as a healthy balanced diet. Sex is actually one of the best excercises but you have to do all the work for the benefits ;o)
  • Options
    for the last year, i've been cycling to work - 6 miles there and 6 miles back.
    Havent lost much weight at all- 6'1" and weigh 14 stone.

I do however feel allot healthier - dont get out of breath as easy.

My legs are solid muscle - just need to get rid of the belly and man boobs!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]for the last year, i've been cycling to work - 6 miles there and 6 miles back.
    Havent lost much weight at all- 6'1" and weigh 14 stone.

I do however feel allot healthier - dont get out of breath as easy.

My legs are solid muscle - just need to get rid of the belly and man boobs!

Sit ups and Press ups ;o)
  • Options
    mate she lost about 13 stone for two years and was happy to get it back as well ----------smilly thingy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2009
    If any one has any serious fitness queries whisper me i was a Fitness Instructor for a year and a half.

I'll need to know how long a day you have spare and how many times a week you have it spare to give you a good guideline of when to do excercise and how hard it should be.

Finally Excercise may improve your fitness and Diet may improve your weight a bit - BUT combining them is the way to Lose Weight, Tone Up and Get Fit.

EDIT - Before anyone says anything... That was over 2 years ago and i have not been practicing what i had previously preached, I got up to 13st (fatty seeing as i'm only 5ft 9in and am back to 12st only half a stone heavier than the 11st 7lbs i was as an instructor!

p.s BMI is bullshit! Imagine Deon Burton - he will be heavy because he is stacked BMI around 26 and Andy Reid will have a similar BMI but is not stacked just a porker!
  • Options
    I'm running minimum 5 times a week averaging 35-40 miles a week and doing 3 lunchtime gym sessions a week.

Have ordered a new mountain bike through work's cycle-to-work scheme and I'm looking to cycle to work two or three times a week too...according to TFLs website, the off main road route only takes 65 minutes in each direction, using the Greenwich Foot Tunnel. Managed it in 1hr 15 when I done it on my old bike last week. Not bad for 16 miles on off-road tyres lol.

Have completely changed my dietary habits - I'm having breakfast for the first time in nearly 20 years, I eat my main meal at lunchtimes and have a salad or light snack in the evenings. For me, I've found changing the time I eat most helpful. It means I can go out and exercise as soon as I get home in the evening and have got enough carbs in the system whereas before, I'd be dead by the time I got home and after eating in the evening, I wasnt going out running until around 8.30 most evenings by which time the motivation starts waivering.

I was also a bit geeky and bought myself a Garmin Forerunner 405 with a heart rate monitor which has helped me considerably with my running, so now I know what pace I'm running at and know exactly how hard I'm working which has improved my pace consderably over the last 6 weeks.

Been doing the routine for 2 months now and am slowly seeing my body shape change. I've lost around my chest and waist, lost over a stone and am feeling so much better.

Its important for the motivation that you set yourself goals though. Have signed up for a 10k run in June and Septermber, another Half Marathon in October and have applied through the ballot for a place on the Virgin London Marathon for next year. I'm also going to be doing the London to Brighton bike ride next year as another challenge.

Lost over 2 stone in a year so am heading in the right direction but still got at least another stone and a half to loose until I'm entirely happy...
  • Options
    Bitter or rather real ale has advantages, not sure of the calorie comparison with lager, but it has the effect of colonic irrigation over the next day or so, and doesn't give as bad hangovers.

Problem with exercise is it often makes you hungrier, trick is to fill your waking time with activity (not food/booze consuming activity) and keep fridge empty of snacks etc, coffee as well can be good to keep energy levels high but too much and it will stop you sleeping - which is bad.
  • Options
    Drink Cider instead , its only apples after all
  • Options
    I'm hitting 30 in September and have noticed I'm putting on a bit of weight, I think my metabolism is slowing down :o(

Bad Times people, bad times.
  • Options
    You're doing Really Well JBOY

Just make sure you do not lose that motivation - I suppose all those up and coming activities will help.

Weight loss may begin to slow down soon but that is your body becoming accustomed to the diet and excercise the way forward is higher intensity.
  • Options
    join slimming world.

well worth the money
  • Options
    get some boxing pads and hit them with a mate,brillant cardio
  • Options
    As a rough guide, at 10min/mile running pace, you have to run 1 mile to burn off 100 calories. So when you get half-way through the afternoon and you start thinking "hmmm chocolate", tucking into a king-size Kit Kat will mean you have to run 2.5 miles just to burn that off alone. In man terms, you are looking at minimum 200 calories for a pint of lager. So to burn off 5 pints of lager, you are looking at running 10 miles :-(
  • Options
    At the risk of sounding a bit girly I did the weightwatchers diet for about three months, I didn`t attend the meetings and to be honest I lost about 1.5 stones and still boozed on friday nights and satudays before matches. Wasn`t that hard actually. Need to do it again though ;0(