Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dieting / getting fit

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]sarah@dietlady.co.uk

Cambridge diet, only way to go....plug, plug. :D

Honest it works if you stick to it, my other half lost 5 stone 2 summers ago, now she maintains and eats fairly much what she wants, she now counsells other dieters in her part time.
    If you want to lose weight quickly for an event (wedding, holiday etc) which most women tend to want to do, then its the perfect short term solution.

Definitely works. My girlfriends mum has lost 2.5 stone in about 6-7 weeks.
  • Options
    Weightwatchers and slimming clubs are GOOD
  • Options
    Having completely buggered my cruciate and not being allowed to run etc i am really going to have to watch out this summer, but is not going to stop me from drinking copious amounts of alcohol ;o)

AFKA - that bird going ten to the dozen on the cross trainer thingy last night, eventualy stoped at 8.30 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! must have been at it a full pelt for over an hour WTF
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]sarah@dietlady.co.uk

Honest it works if you stick to it, my other half lost 5 stone 2 summers ago, now she maintains and eats fairly much what she wants, she now counsells other dieters in her part time.
    If you want to lose weight quickly for an event (wedding, holiday etc) which most women tend to want to do, then its the perfect short term solution.

How cost effective is it for the ladies though?
  • Options
    I have thrown myself into Football, Running & Gym work including weights & have just started a weekly Circuit Training drill held by some ex Army bods. I am really starting to feel the benefit now, body shape is changing Pot Beer belly has dis-appeared & I eat what I want. Feel fitter now at 39 than I have for about ten years. The key to anything is Sticking with it.
  • Options
    I stick at boozing !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]p.s BMI is bullshit! Imagine Deon Burton - he will be heavy because he is stacked BMI around 26 and Andy Reid will have a similar BMI but is not stacked just a porker!

I hear this argument about BMI all the day but the whole point of it as a measure is that it is purely indicative of your general level of obesity and was never intended to apply to those who are professional athletes.

BMI is a relatively useful for your average person to give them an single measure of who unhealthy they are.

as for getting fit. The recipe is generally pretty simple

Eat healthy (but ensure you allow yourself the odd indulgence)
    Don't eat too much
    Do some exercise

You can scrimp on the exercise front by eating less but it is not a long term solution. When i was studying all my fitness stuff. They way I used to explain it was:

You need to use more calories than you are taking in rather than take in less calories than you need.

Personally I run a few times a week and avoid using the lift in the office. It allows me to indulge my sweet tooth now and again without worrying about piling on weight.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]
    AFKA - that bird going ten to the dozen on the cross trainer thingy last night, eventualy stoped at 8.30 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! must have been at it a full pelt for over an hour WTF

She had it on the highest setting as well ! Was putting me to shame

Wanted to joke with her about going like the clappers but i wasn't looking my best....
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Glass half empty[/cite]Having completely buggered my cruciate and not being allowed to run etc i am really going to have to watch out this summer, but is not going to stop me from drinking copious amounts of alcohol ;o)

Or on a piss poor resistance!

EDIT just seen AFKA's note - Maybe she was crazy!
  • Options
    A few dull facts on the alcohol front re pints is that generally the stronger the drink the more the calories.

Calories per pint

Scrumpy Jack 6% 256
    Stella 5.2% 250
    Strongbow 4.5% 244
    Speckled Hen 4.5% 233
    Average Bitter 4% 193
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]A few dull facts on the alcohol front re pints is that generally the stronger the drink the more the calories.

Calories per pint

Scrumpy Jack 6% 256
    Stella 5.2% 250
    Strongbow 4.5% 244
    Speckled Hen 4.5% 233
    Average Bitter 4% 193

Guinness 305
  • Options
    Running. IT'S THE FUTURE!

Same weight now as 20 years ago and throughout all that time have pretty much eaten what I want but have always ran regularly to one degree or another.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]A few dull facts on the alcohol front re pints is that generally the stronger the drink the more the calories.

Calories per pint

Scrumpy Jack 6% 256
    Stella 5.2% 250
    Strongbow 4.5% 244
    Speckled Hen 4.5% 233
    Average Bitter 4% 193

Guinness 305

Bit odd this as I got the above info from Drinkaware.Co and it has draft guinness 4.1% at 210 calories per pint.

Bottom line is all the beers/stouts/lagers/ciders are pretty heavy on the calorie front which is a bugger really.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]

Calories per pint

Scrumpy Jack 6% 256
    Stella 5.2% 250
    Strongbow 4.5% 244
    Speckled Hen 4.5% 233
    Average Bitter 4% 193

Guinness 305

Bit odd this as I got the above info from Drinkaware.Co and it has draft guinness 4.1% at 210 calories per pint.

Bottom line is all the beers/stouts/lagers/ciders are pretty heavy on the calorie front which is a bugger really.

So can I have 1/2 a pint for free?
  • Options
    No midweek drinking
    Gym Mon-Friday for an hour.

Will drop off.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited May 2009
    Chris_from_Sidcup CommentTime35 minutes ago quote# 32

Posted By: DA9
    sarah@dietlady.co.uk

Is her initial J and Does she go to a woman in Greenhithe?
  • Options
    Dazzler.....

Depends, you basically replace any food shopping with the Cambridge products, protein shakes, flavoured water, soups, peanut bars etc, you have to stick to them (and no alcohol) for a couple of weeks, then you can have grilled chicken and salad every couple of days, it was quite a drastic diet, but my partner has been doing the diet as a counsellor herself for 2 years and I have seen loads of women lose weight, basically, if you stick to it, it works.

One woman was quite overweight and walking using a stick, now lost so much she no longer needs the stick and her doctor is very pleased with her progress.
  • Options
    did a simular thing tio cambridge few years back, lost loads of weight but bloody hard work not eating anything real for ages just soups and drinks, plus the 2 week detox at the start is a killer. the results are there if you have the paitents and the will power thats why u get a councellor if you do the legit version i think, bit costly tho so going down the eat less and excersise route for the first few months to see how i get on..

exercise.jpg
  • Options
    Like that woman on Fix my Fat Head the other night... she wanted to lose weight by not having to stop eating what she wanted (ie. homemade lasagnes, chips, tortillas and dips or by exercising but by having hypnotherapty / breathing exercises, meditating or counselling.. she tried them all. Then at the end of the programme she said... so basically i've got to stop stuffing my gob and exercise more.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    booze has plenty of calories in it but how much do you actually absorb? I tend to get rid of it fairly quickly after a few pints....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Chris_from_Sidcup CommentTime35 minutes ago quote# 32

sarah@dietlady.co.uk

Her initial is J but think she goes somewhere more local than Greenhithe
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]Chris_from_Sidcup CommentTime35 minutes ago quote# 32

sarah@dietlady.co.uk

Her initial is J but think she goes somewhere more local than Greenhithe

No worries
  • Options

Calories per pint

Scrumpy Jack 6% 256
    Stella 5.2% 250
    Strongbow 4.5% 244
    Speckled Hen 4.5% 233
    Average Bitter 4% 193

Calories per pint

Scrumpy Jack 6% 256
    Stella 5.2% 250
    Strongbow 4.5% 244
    Speckled Hen 4.5% 233
    Average Bitter 4% 193

That's because the calories are mainly in the alcohol

http://www.nutracheck.co.uk/calories/calories_in_alcohol/calories_in_lager.html

Of course- how many of us eat more during and after a drink.

As someone said above- the key is to burn up more than you put in- not put less in than you need because also the metabolism will shut down....
  • Options
    As someone said above- the key is to burn up more than you put in- not put less in than you need because also the metabolism will shut down....[/quote]

erm call me daft but isn't that the same thing..?
  • Options
    I think I'm going to be trying this new fad called uh, jogging. I believe it's jogging or yogging. it might be a soft j. I'm not sure but apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]As someone said above- the key is to burn up more than you put in- not put less in than you need because also the metabolism will shut down....

erm call me daft but isn't that the same thing..?[/quote]

Nope

Your body requires being a male 2000 calories a day therefore you should burn 2250 calories. Whereas taking in less than you need would be taking in 1000 calories and burning 2000 calories - which causes a metabolic shut down and causes your body to stop burning fats and actually turn the glucose and glycogen you eat to pure FAT.
  • Options
    All this talk of dieting is making me hungry!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]As someone said above- the key is to burn up more than you put in- not put less in than you need because also the metabolism will shut down....

erm call me daft but isn't that the same thing..?

Nope

Your body requires being a male 2000 calories a day therefore you should burn 2250 calories. Whereas taking in less than you need would be taking in 1000 calories and burning 2000 calories - which causes a metabolic shut down and causes your body to stop burning fats and actually turn the glucose and glycogen you eat to pure FAT.[/quote]

Yeah but if I'm exercising i need 2250 a day...

:)

I get what you mean though, don't starve yourself basically
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It's not clear Razil but i guess there is a basic level of calories ( and probably relatively distributed throughout the day) that the body needs to function or it will "hybernate" hence "eat what you need".

"Burn up" is refering to exercising
  • Options
    Dazzler- put's it far better than me- I'm of for a Pint or two.....