Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ferrari pull out of F1 next year

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SE7[/cite]Couldn't give a toss about the sport, whatever people say its fixed. More of a MotoGP fan myself, more overtaking and better tracks. Oh and anybody can win.

Now you are talking, real men on two wheels, taking chances and overtaking, not being controlled by a computer in the pits.

Exactly, 'The Docter', does not need to lie, bribe or sideswipe his rivals to win a championship, he does it by simply outclassing everyone else on a seemingly average bike. Although Yamaha has improved dramatically since Hayden stole the title in probably the best 45 minutes of TV I've ever seen.
  • Options
    Oh and the crashes are simply awesome,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rjMBg798KA&feature=fvst
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Most. Boring. Sport. Ever.

Great day out though...I can assure you it's one hell of a spectacle.

I can go to quickfit to see people changing tyres and stand on a bridge over the M25 and see more overtaking.

I dont like saying this henry but i'm with you on that!! god i hope im not ready for my pipe and slippers yet!!
  • Options
    I read somewhere that if you buy a new Ferrari, something like £4k of the cost of EACH ONE goes straight to the F1 budget.

I wonder if the prices will come down?

I doubt very much if they will pull out - virtually everything they've developed through F1 racing has gone on to be utilised in their road cars. F1 is not only their R&D arena, but it's also their major marketing tool.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]You simply have no idea how quick those cars are Henry until you see them in the flesh actually racing....TV just doesn't get that across....it's awesome.

but they are not RACING. They are just going fast. As East Stand Mike says if you are on pole and avoid a crash you will most likely win. One team puts on some go faster stripes or whatever and is suddenly winning Grand Prix from nowhere.

Makes Rugby look interesting and that takes some doing.

Philistine.

The difference between 1st and 5th on Sunday was 43 seconds. In qualifying the difference between the top five was 0.5 of a second in a single lap.

I don't see how you cannot deem that as racing. There was plenty of overtaking on sunday.
  • Options
    With Henry and Swisdom as far as F1 goes, same for all motor sport really, all dull and reliant on mechanics rather than skill.

But for what it's worth it does seem that the powers that be are trying to make it a more level playing field, and as usual, those with the cash - who are used to having it their own way simply because of that cash - cannot stand the idea, similar to the Sky 4 in the Premier League. These people do not want a level playing field, they want the richest (i.e. them) to win all the time, and again as with the PL, there are sad cases who "support" them who have no connection with thenm whatsoever, other than the mentality of "come on the winners" which most of us left behind at 6 years old...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]With Henry and Swisdom as far as F1 goes, same for all motor sport really, all dull and reliant on mechanics rather than skill.
    quote]

Ever tried driving a F1 car?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]With Henry and Swisdom as far as F1 goes, same for all motor sport really, all dull and reliant on mechanics rather than skill.

But for what it's worth it does seem that the powers that be are trying to make it a more level playing field, and as usual, those with the cash - who are used to having it their own way simply because of that cash - cannot stand the idea, similar to the Sky 4 in the Premier League. These people do not want a level playing field, they want the richest (i.e. them) to win all the time, and again as with the PL, there are sad cases who "support" them who have no connection with thenm whatsoever, other than the mentality of "come on the winners" which most of us left behind at 6 years old...

Honestly Algarve...and afew others of you too...Get along to a F1 Grand Prix....I'm 'certain' you'll come away with adifferent opinion....As for reliant on mechanics rather than driving skill....well it's bit of both in truth....it's a team but the skill level to drive one of those is truly immense!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]You simply have no idea how quick those cars are Henry until you see them in the flesh actually racing....TV just doesn't get that across....it's awesome.

Dont bother even trying to explain it to someone who thinks Baseball is a decent sport for crying out loud.

People who don't like F1 F*** O** & post on your own gay threads about your favourite Band that you'd like to Roger FFS. Does my Head in sometimes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited May 2009
    Don't hold back P...
  • Options
    LOL time of the month Ketters?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]

Dont bother even trying to explain it to someone who thinks Baseball is a decent sport for crying out loud.

People who don't like F1 F*** O** & post on your own gay threads about your favourite Band that you'd like to Roger FFS. Does my Head in sometimes.

It shite mate get over it!! Although you done a very good impression on the A2 the other day not completely sure whats fun in that i was cacking it
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    You see, this is what watching fast cars whizz by and listening to housey, housey music with 140 BPM does to you. It turns you into a raving loon who wears west ham scarves.

Much better to chill watching baseball or cricket while listening to some soul music or a nice bit of acoustic guitar. Peace and love. : - )
  • Options
    Went Silverstone for Practice last year watching Massa's Ferrari go backwards into a Tyre wall at 140mph yet they still had it repaired & out for the next practice session an hour later. A Truly remarkable sport which like football can only be appreciated live which I am sure all the dissenters on here have actually been to one of course, otherwise you are no different to the plastic footy fans in the pub watching ManYoo v Chelsea on a Sunday that have never been to either ground before. TTFN
  • Options
    I prefer SUPER GT

Always support Dodge Vipers but I don't remember last time they won - Ferrari, Lister and Porsche are the contenders!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]I prefer SUPER GT

Always support Dodge Vipers but I don't remember last time they won - Ferrari, Lister and Porsche are the contenders!

The vipers are a bit long in the tooth now. Used to watch them race at Le Mans in their heyday, they were awesome.
  • Options
    I love the shape it's stayed the same for years!!
  • Options
    No never driven an F1 car, seen Hammond try on TV, it's difficult. So is knitting and making pasta, you practice, you get the hang of it... simples. Some are better than others at driving them, others are better for the simple reason they have a better car and out goes the human competition element.

I am not excited by mechanical objects, no matter how fast they are, I don't need to watch a number of deafening blurs pass me and then sit in a traffic queue for six hours to know it's not my bag.

And Ferrari pulling out because they will have to have the best driver rather than the most money... QED.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]No never driven an F1 car, seen Hammond try on TV, it's difficult. So is knitting and making pasta, you practice, you get the hang of it... simples. Some are better than others at driving them, others are better for the simple reason they have a better car and out goes the human competition element.

I am not excited by mechanical objects, no matter how fast they are, I don't need to watch a number of deafening blurs pass me and then sit in a traffic queue for six hours to know it's not my bag.

And Ferrari pulling out because they will have to have the best driver rather than the most money... QED.

Some things in life just pass you by Algarve...went to Brands Hatch with 120,000 others some years ago to see Nigel Mansell win both The British Grand Prix and The World Championship on the same day....a day I'll never forget....what a day and the atmosphere was electric....but as you weren't there you wouldn't know that would you, you missed out but you don't know it and as such apparently don't care either...I understand that but you and a few others shouldn't really ridicule others who get a great thrill out of the sport(not at all like you as a matter of fact Algarve)....I've been there and done it so I DO know....with the greatest respect you and they haven't.
    I'm a bit of a fan...not a huge one but that day was one of the greatest sporting days out of my life.
    Fantastic seat in the main grand stand courtesy of my uncle, who was chief of The St Johns Ambulance Brigade at Brands for many years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ferrari are faltering this year anywho!
  • Options
    I can't take any motorsport seriously all time the drivers and the vehicles are teamed up. No one can ever know who is really the best whilst they are driving different cars. Sure, have a drivers championship and constructors championship but make sure that every driver gets a turn in every car.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]No never driven an F1 car, seen Hammond try on TV, it's difficult. So is knitting and making pasta, you practice, you get the hang of it... simples. Some are better than others at driving them, others are better for the simple reason they have a better car and out goes the human competition element.

Some things in life just pass you by Algarve...went to Brands Hatch with 120,000 others some years ago to see Nigel Mansell win both The British Grand Prix and The World Championship on the same day....a day I'll never forget....what a day and the atmosphere was electric....but as you weren't there you wouldn't know that would you, you missed out but you don't know it and as such apparently don't care either...I understand that but you and a few others shouldn't really ridicule others who get a great thrill out of the sport(not at all like you as a matter of fact Algarve)....I've been there and done it so I DO know....with the greatest respect you and they haven't.
    I'm a bit of a fan...not a huge one but that day was one of the greatest sporting days out of my life.
    Fantastic seat in the main grand stand courtesy of my uncle, who was chief of The St Johns Ambulance Brigade at Brands for many years.

I didn't think I was ridiculing Soundas, maybe a bit of gentle winding up though...

I said in my original post that I found it - and motor sport in general - dull, I do, can't help it. My comment about "come on the winners" attitude was aimed at British people who "support" foreign teams, such as Ferrari, I stick by that, they are the Man Utd of motor racing. The best driver does not always win, I think that is generally accepted, and I cannot take any sport totally seriously where the bloke holding the trophy is not as good as the bloke next to him. Someone asked if I have ever driven a formula 1 car, so I answered, and I think any of us could drive one given the right instruction and time to practice - not saying we would finish within 20 laps of any of the pros, but we could drive it. I think I would have enjoyed the particular day you mention, especially from the grand stand, but the reason would have been patriotism more than anything else in my case.
  • Options
    I am not a fan of F1 - tho i can see why other people do. tho anyone i know who's been has to sit so far away from the action as cant afford to get close to the circuit.

I dont like cricket, but i dont blame others for liking it. it just bores me rigid. tho i have been to some games. i should try the 20 20 i think and i would like to go to the ashes, perhaps one day.

horses for courses - its what makes the world go round.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]I am not a fan of F1 - tho i can see why other people do. tho anyone i know who's been has to sit so far away from the action as cant afford to get close to the circuit.

I dont like cricket, but i dont blame others for liking it. it just bores me rigid. tho i have been to some games. i should try the 20 20 i think and i would like to go to the ashes, perhaps one day.

horses for courses - its what makes the world go round.
    True enough.
  • Options
    The trouble here is the FIA made this decision to have a budget cap without any dicussions with the teams who ofcourse won't lkike the fact they have to cut costs and lose some of their power over the less weathley teams.

Sounds like no-one wants to enter next year though if this happens so the FIA will clearly need to reslove the situation otherwise there will be no F1 at all.
  • Options
    Now renault have jumped on the band wagon. There have been threats from the top teams to quit F1 one before. Funny how these teams are all of a sudden crying foul now that (with the exception of Toyota who couldn't win a game of snap) the many millions of funding they have pumped into their teams will now be curtailed.

There is a degree of hypocrisy in the FIA that borders on stupidity. Ferrari, Toyota and Renault have funded F1 for decades. They make the engines for the smaller teams. Every season sees the introduction of another rule designed to "level the playing field". Engine sizes have been reduced, cost reduction measures have been implemented, technological restrictions enforced all of these changes have resulted in exactly what the F1 fans have always wanted. Brawn are leading the race for the championship, no team are able to dominate the way Ferrari did season after season and an English driver is winning. I bet Ferrari hate that.

I wonder what the reaction would be if there were similar rule changes applied to premiership football?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]

I didn't think I was ridiculing Soundas, maybe a bit of gentle winding up though...

I said in my original post that I found it - and motor sport in general - dull, I do, can't help it. My comment about "come on the winners" attitude was aimed at British people who "support" foreign teams, such as Ferrari, I stick by that, they are the Man Utd of motor racing. The best driver does not always win, I think that is generally accepted, and I cannot take any sport totally seriously where the bloke holding the trophy is not as good as the bloke next to him. Someone asked if I have ever driven a formula 1 car, so I answered, and I think any of us could drive one given the right instruction and time to practice - not saying we would finish within 20 laps of any of the pros, but we could drive it. I think I would have enjoyed the particular day you mention, especially from the grand stand, but the reason would have been patriotism more than anything else in my case.

Algarve I would be amazed if you could keep a race car on the track for 20 laps let alone finish 20 behind the winner. Unless you mean just mean just going round in 1st gear. At any level motor sport is very skillful. 6 billion people on the planet and less than 30 men get to drive in a Grand Prix.
    As for the best man not always winning, niether does the best football team always win.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]Algarve I would be amazed if you could keep a race car on the track for 20 laps let alone finish 20 behind the winner. Unless you mean just mean just going round in 1st gear. At any level motor sport is very skillful.

Spot on. I had a day at Thruxton a few years ago and got to drive a Formula Ford around. That was hard enough, so I dread to think how difficult an F1 car is to control and keep on the tarmac. I had one spin going round a right hander. Before you have time to react, you're facing the wrong way on the track... and that was going into a right hander at probably 60mph... I have nothing but respect for those guys who drive in F1
  • Options
    Next season Formula One will be a slightly inferior version of A1GP without the flags painted on the cars.