Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ferrari pull out of F1 next year

13»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Next season Formula One will be a slightly inferior version of A1GP without the flags painted on the cars.

That would suprise me.
    I think there will be a bit of trading off demands on both sides
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders I have nothing but respect for those guys who drive in F1

Come off it medders far more worthy people of your respect surely
  • Options
    Anyone who thinks there is no skill in F1 really needs to go & see a race (No not on telly).

The only problem with the sport is the idiots that run it much like Football, run by people who only have self interest at heart which is a shame.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]No never driven an F1 car, seen Hammond try on TV, it's difficult. So is knitting and making pasta, you practice, you get the hang of it... simples. Some are better than others at driving them, others are better for the simple reason they have a better car and out goes the human competition element.

I am not excited by mechanical objects, no matter how fast they are, I don't need to watch a number of deafening blurs pass me and then sit in a traffic queue for six hours to know it's not my bag.

And Ferrari pulling out because they will have to have the best driver rather than the most money... QED.

Some things in life just pass you by Algarve...went to Brands Hatch with 120,000 others some years ago to see Nigel Mansell win both The British Grand Prix and The World Championship on the same day....a day I'll never forget....what a day and the atmosphere was electric....but as you weren't there you wouldn't know that would you, you missed out but you don't know it and as such apparently don't care either...I understand that but you and a few others shouldn't really ridicule others who get a great thrill out of the sport(not at all like you as a matter of fact Algarve)....I've been there and done it so I DO know....with the greatest respect you and they haven't.
    I'm a bit of a fan...not a huge one but that day was one of the greatest sporting days out of my life.
    Fantastic seat in the main grand stand courtesy of my uncle, who was chief of The St Johns Ambulance Brigade at Brands for many years.

I didn't think I was ridiculing Soundas, maybe a bit of gentle winding up though...

I said in my original post that I found it - and motor sport in general - dull, I do, can't help it. My comment about "come on the winners" attitude was aimed at British people who "support" foreign teams, such as Ferrari, I stick by that, they are the Man Utd of motor racing. The best driver does not always win, I think that is generally accepted, and I cannot take any sport totally seriously where the bloke holding the trophy is not as good as the bloke next to him. Someone asked if I have ever driven a formula 1 car, so I answered, and I think any of us could drive one given the right instruction and time to practice - not saying we would finish within 20 laps of any of the pros, but we could drive it. I think I would have enjoyed the particular day you mention, especially from the grand stand, but the reason would have been patriotism more than anything else in my case.

Algarve I would be amazed if you could keep a race car on the track for 20 laps let alone finish 20 behind the winner. Unless you mean just mean just going round in 1st gear. At any level motor sport is very skillful. 6 billion people on the planet and less than 30 men get to drive in a Grand Prix.
    As for the best man not always winning, niether does the best football team always win.

And there lies your problem. At the end of a season the best football team wins the league, in F1 the best driver will not always win the title. It's down to the best car and the F1 lovers can't argue this point surely?
    I won't ever say that there's no skill involved as you obviously have to be a brilliant driver to get to that level. But answer this, is Button winning because he's the best driver or because he's in the best car? If he's such a good driver why hasn't he been challenging for years? Oh that's right, because his car has been uncompetitive.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]No never driven an F1 car, seen Hammond try on TV, it's difficult. So is knitting and making pasta, you practice, you get the hang of it... simples. Some are better than others at driving them, others are better for the simple reason they have a better car and out goes the human competition element.

I am not excited by mechanical objects, no matter how fast they are, I don't need to watch a number of deafening blurs pass me and then sit in a traffic queue for six hours to know it's not my bag.

And Ferrari pulling out because they will have to have the best driver rather than the most money... QED.

Some things in life just pass you by Algarve...went to Brands Hatch with 120,000 others some years ago to see Nigel Mansell win both The British Grand Prix and The World Championship on the same day....a day I'll never forget....what a day and the atmosphere was electric....but as you weren't there you wouldn't know that would you, you missed out but you don't know it and as such apparently don't care either...I understand that but you and a few others shouldn't really ridicule others who get a great thrill out of the sport(not at all like you as a matter of fact Algarve)....I've been there and done it so I DO know....with the greatest respect you and they haven't.
    I'm a bit of a fan...not a huge one but that day was one of the greatest sporting days out of my life.
    Fantastic seat in the main grand stand courtesy of my uncle, who was chief of The St Johns Ambulance Brigade at Brands for many years.

I didn't think I was ridiculing Soundas, maybe a bit of gentle winding up though...

I said in my original post that I found it - and motor sport in general - dull, I do, can't help it. My comment about "come on the winners" attitude was aimed at British people who "support" foreign teams, such as Ferrari, I stick by that, they are the Man Utd of motor racing. The best driver does not always win, I think that is generally accepted, and I cannot take any sport totally seriously where the bloke holding the trophy is not as good as the bloke next to him. Someone asked if I have ever driven a formula 1 car, so I answered, and I think any of us could drive one given the right instruction and time to practice - not saying we would finish within 20 laps of any of the pros, but we could drive it. I think I would have enjoyed the particular day you mention, especially from the grand stand, but the reason would have been patriotism more than anything else in my case.

Algarve I would be amazed if you could keep a race car on the track for 20 laps let alone finish 20 behind the winner. Unless you mean just mean just going round in 1st gear. At any level motor sport is very skillful. 6 billion people on the planet and less than 30 men get to drive in a Grand Prix.
    As for the best man not always winning, niether does the best football team always win.

And there lies your problem. At the end of a season the best team wins the league, in F1 the best driver will not always win the title. It's down to the best car and the F1 lovers can't argue this point surely?
    I won't ever say that there's no skill involved as you obviously have to be a brilliant driver to get to that level. But answer this, is Button winning because he's the best driver or because he's in the best car? If he's such a good driver why hasn't he been challenging for years? Oh that's right, because his car has been uncompetitive.

Fair point, although more often than not, the best teams (with the best cars) can and do employ the best drivers
  • Options
    Senna. He would have won in a pram with wobbley wheels