Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*****Official ICC 20/20 World Cup Thread*****

Comments

• Options
    Pickwick, I've been wondering about his action for years? At times the bowling arm was almost vertical.

Still, fun to see the Aussie's getting tonked! :-)
  • Options
    Mirror headline today:
    "Edna Average".
  • Options
    Couple of points on the above:

Chirpy - can England actually win the group and finish as B1?

Pickwick/BDL - also wondered that about Malinga. He got 1 Aussie out with a full toss and the ball came from a near 90 degree angle!
  • Options
    If Pakistan win but not too convincingly then England will finish top of the group.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Sky TV had this sussed laast night but the BBC and their website will not take it on board. They list the Super 8 fixtures, name other teams but not England! England remain B2 regardless of the P v N match. ENGLAND ARE THROUGH!!!

WAKE UP BBC!!!!

sky did work it out but i never heard them explain exactly why we were through. They mentioned run rates but not in any detail. It seemed like the presenters didn't have a clue but the researchers knew why. It's only now you explain, chirpy, that i understand it.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    We're destined to be in Group E with India, South Africa and West Indies. Any result between Netherlands and Pakistan cannot change it.

It makes the seedings look like a very silly idea if you ask me. It makes 3 of the last 4 first round games "dead" and the second round groups will end up looking like this:

E: India, England, West Indies, South Africa
    F: Ireland, Netherlands/Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand.

I know which group I'd rather be in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Callumcafc[/cite]We're destined to be in Group E with India, South Africa and West Indies. Any result between Netherlands and Pakistan cannot change it.

It makes the seedings look like a very silly idea if you ask me. It makes 3 of the last 4 first round games "dead" and the second round groups will end up looking like this:

E: India, England, West Indies, South Africa
    F: Ireland, Netherlands/Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand.

I know which group I'd rather be in.

That can't be right surely as if Holland win today then we'd finish runner up and be B2 and therefore go into Group F?
    And if Sri Lanka beat the Windies they'd win their group and go into Group E?
    Or am i not understanding this qualification malarkey?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Pickwick, I've been wondering about his action for years? At times the bowling arm was almost vertical.

Still, fun to see the Aussie's getting tonked! :-)

Doesn't matter what angle the arm is at (i.e. between vertical and brushing the ear, to horizontal and straight out from the shoulder), it's whether the arm is straight. Malinga is a bit of freak, generally speaking it's far far harder to bowl the way he does. With the arm vertical if you release the ball a fraction of a second early or late you are just changing the length and a change in length of a couple of feet isn't a huge issue. With the arm horizontal as Malinga bowls then you're talking about the line changing by a couple of feet, i.e. a straight ball become a wide outsdie off it you release even slightly late.

This is made even more difficult in Twenty20 where players are trying to vary their pace from ball to ball.

As a batsman though, Malinga's action is a nightmare as it's is far harder to pickup the line of the ball, and the nature of the action seems to lead to more swing, so doubly difficult.

It's similar to the argument that Peiterson shouldn't be allowed to "switch hit". It just happens Kev is exceedingly talented, statistics show that on average a batsmen is far more likely to lose his wicket when attempting the switch hit.
  • Options
    The horizontal style was the standard way of bowling until Women started playing the game (no idea when, but W.G. Grace from Bromley would have bowled horizontally). Randy is correct, it is legal and a far harder technique.
  • Options
    Not sure if it affects Englands position but.....

Pakistan 156-4 off 18.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pakistan have hit 175.
  • Options
    the netherlands need 151 to qualify...
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Netherlands need another 75 runs from 6 overs to qualify with only 2 wickets in hand..
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]That can't be right surely as if Holland win today then we'd finish runner up and be B2 and therefore go into Group F?
    And if Sri Lanka beat the Windies they'd win their group and go into Group E?
    Or am i not understanding this qualification malarkey?

Group E: A1 (India), B2 (England), C1 (Australia), D2 (South Africa)
    Group F: A2 (Bangladesh), B1 (Pakistan), C2 (Sri Lanka), D1 (New Zealand)

Eight of the twelve teams were given seedings based on the results of the Twenty20 World Cup two years ago before the start of the first round:

A1 - India, A2 - Bangladesh
    B1 - Pakistan, B2 - England
    C1 - Australia, C2 - Sri Lanka
    D1 - New Zealand, D2 - South Africa

If any of the above teams qualify, no matter if it's first or second of their first round group, they enter the second round group into which they are seeded. In the case of West Indies and Ireland, they take the seeding of the team they have qualified at the expense of (Australia and Bangladesh).
  • Options
    Qualification for the Semi's is much more simple I think:

Winner of Group E vs. Runner-up of Group F
    Winner of Group F vs. Runner-up of Group E
  • Options
    Pakistan win.

Dutch all out for 93
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Pakistan win.

Dutch all out for 93
    We should have smashed the Dutch as well, ho hum, lesson learnt (hopefully) on to the super 8.
  • Options
    NZ want 36 off 18balls.
    6 wickets in hand....
  • Options
    Malinga's action is awful, it has gotten even worse over the last two years and I cannot see how it falls within the laws of the game.

On some deliveries the bloke stops at the popping crease, just before his delivery, and almost braces himself like a baseball pitcher before releasing the ball with a pitching action.

Sorry, but I think that's bullshit. There is no way he is "bowling" the ball in any proper manner and he has definitely gone from a "slingy" action to a more "chucky" action since his injury.

No wonder the batsmen can't pick the ball up from his deliveries!

That means with Murali, Mendi and Malinga that SL now have THREE dodgy bowlers!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]NZ want 36 off 18balls.
    6 wickets in hand....

Can't believe that SA defended a total of 128. NZ should've chased that down easily.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Malinga's action is awful, it has gotten even worse over the last two years and I cannot see how it falls within the laws of the game.

On some deliveries the bloke stops at the popping crease, just before his delivery, and almost braces himself like a baseball pitcher before releasing the ball with a pitching action.

Sorry, but I think that's bullshit. There is no way he is "bowling" the ball in any proper manner and he has definitely gone from a "slingy" action to a more "chucky" action since his injury.

No wonder the batsmen can't pick the ball up from his deliveries!

That means with Murali, Mendi and Malinga that SL now have THREE dodgy bowlers!!!

Well I'm sure if any other nation agrees with you then the ICC will be asked to review his action. I've not seen more than 1 or 2 balls of him bowling since his return from injury so I can't really comment on whether or not his action is now more of a chuck than a sling.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Even my mum said 'you can't chuck it like that' !

Going the Oval on Monday with JohnboyUK, Come on England !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Even my mum said 'you can't chuck it like that' !

Going the Oval on Monday with JohnboyUK, Come on England !

AFKA, to be honest I'd had (more) than a few beers when I saw him bowl against the Aussies and I thought I was imagining it!

When I watched it again the next morning I realised that even when drunk I can spot a chucker a mile off.
  • Options
    You can spot a chucker a mile off? OK - explain to me exactly how Malinga's action is illegal? His arm is actually straighter than most quicks - with less elbow flexion than a 'traditional' pace bowler like Brett Lee, Shane Watson or Ryan Sidebottom. It just looks wrong to you because of the angle the delivery is coming from - there's nothing illegal about it whatsoever.

Don't get me started on Muralitharan - he's definitely a chucker - but Malinga's action is perfectly legal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]You can spot a chucker a mile off? OK - explain to me exactly how Malinga's action is illegal? His arm is actually straighter than most quicks - with less elbow flexion than a 'traditional' pace bowler like Brett Lee, Shane Watson or Ryan Sidebottom. It justlookswrong to you because of the angle the delivery is coming from - there's nothing illegal about it whatsoever.

Don't get me started on Muralitharan - he'sdefinitelya chucker - but Malinga's action is perfectly legal.

I've always thought that about Malinga, the reason no other quicks bowl like that that play in England is they would of had a sharp slap in the tits from whoever was coaching them as a youngster, as would Pieterson if he tried a switch hit on someone. But it's something good to wind up Bhavi in the corner shop with. Malinga the slinga sounds quite good. And my word does he bite!!

Muralitharan is a bit of an unusual case he seems to have an elbow joint in the middle of his wrist or no wrist bone.
  • Options
    Right is it my imagination or did i catch a fielder running off the field jumping in the air throwing the ball back in play last night?? Did it count as a 6 or just runs.

Only caught a snippett on sky with no sound
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    it was just the 3 runs that they got , i couldn't believe it just cos he jumped in the air, even though he was miles over the boundary
  • Options
    the commentators were saying that when a batsmen hits it a few yards over the rope for what would be 6, is a fielder then allowed to run behind the rope , as the ball arrives, jump in the air , catch the ball , throw it back whilst in the air and therefore stop a 6!!
  • Options
    I thought it was unreal and had to be a 6. Shows what i know!!
    Whatever way you look at it though it was great bit of thinking!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]the commentators were saying that when a batsmen hits it a few yards over the rope for what would be 6, is a fielder then allowed to run behind the rope , as the ball arrives, jump in the air , catch the ball , throw it back whilst in the air and therefore stop a 6!!
    If you catch it doesn't it count as a 6 as your feet are on the floor?

I think you are allowed to catch it in mid air and throw it to someone else whilst still in the air and if they catch it, THEN the batsman is out!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    If you catch it doesn't it count as a 6 as your feet are on the floor?

yep it would do but they were saying jump up in the air b4 it gets to you and pat it back to the boundary whilst in the air.... very dubious!!