Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who is the best frontwoman ever?

Comments

• Options
    edited March 20
  • Options
    Just to liven things up a bit, Pauline Black (The Selector) and Dolores O'Riordan (Cranberries) were both great frontwomen who seem to be missing from the thread.

• Options
    Just to liven things up a bit, Pauline Black (The Selector) and Dolores O'Riordan (Cranberries) were both great frontwomen who seem to be missing from the thread.

Good shout, Harriet Wheeler from the Sundays was pretty good too.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    Seriously there is only one........Natalie Merchant
    Certainly one with a most distinctive delivery.
  • Options
    If we're talking about someone who could sing but got the band more attention than they would have with a bloke on vocals, Siouxsie Sioux, Debbie Harry, Chrissie Hynde, and Chrissie Amphlett.

If it's just putting the songs over really well, no on comes close to Janis but Grace gets an honourable mention.
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles, just for the way she fluttered her eyes sedcutively on TOTP whilst singing Walk Like An Egyptian.

Susanna-Hoffs_5858_11475_1652139
    She was quite insistent she wasn't the front woman despite what the record company wanted to do with the band.  Easy as Susanna was on the eye, the real looker was Micki Steele.
  • Options
    edited March 20
    So by front woman we should only be considering somebody with a band/group and in that case I’d nominate:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]Seriously there is only one........Natalie Merchant
    Ooooh - I've had a thing for that since I was about 16. She is f***ing mint - her music is dull though. I used to really like Miki from Lush and Toni Halliday from Curve too - now THEY were filth
    Thought he was better in Spandau Ballet tbh
  • Options
    Fran Riquelme
    Newen Afrobeats
  • Options
    Patti Smith from a live perspective. Not sure I've seen anyone else on stage captivate an audience the way she has the few times seen her. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Janis Joplin
  • Options
    Florence Welch. Her voice gives me goosebumps. 
  • Options
    Ann Wilson wasn't too shabby!
  • Options
    Suzie Quatro
    Debbie Harry
  • Options
    Helen Adu (lead singer of Sade)

I could watch and listen to her all day long.

She looks as good today as she did 25 years ago!

Video Clip

Video Clip 2
    Today I learned : Sade was the actual name of the band
  • Options
    Ella Fitzgerald 
  • Options
    edited March 20
    Dolores followed very closely by Sharlene (Cranberries/Texas).

Both seen multiple times live and both exceptional.

Seen Debbie Harry & Chrissie Hynde live many times too and always been hugely disappointed.
  • Options
    Oh & Annie third.
    I was there at the Brighton concert when she took her top off & sang in her bra.
    The nuns were not impressed when we told them at school 😂😂😂😂
  • Options
    If we’re talking as a live performer then who was ever better than Tina Turner?
    I saw Jethro Tull a few times back in their pomp, and although Ian Anderson hasn’t got the greatest voice he is/was a hell’ve a good front man.
  • Options
    If its just a front woman for a band, Elkie Brooks, Vineger Joe. She was great live!
    As an outright singer...Janis Joplin, Annie Kennox, Chrissie Hind or Alison Moyet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    currently, Abigail Morris from Last Dinner Party, she's going to be a massive massive star
  • Options
    Marie Fredriksson - Roxette
    Ann Wilson - Heart
  • Options
    edited March 20
    Amy Lee - lead from Evanescence

My perfect woman

• Options
    Your mum
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Helen Adu (lead singer of Sade)

I could watch and listen to her all day long.

She looks as good today as she did 25 years ago!

Video Clip

Video Clip 2
    Today I learned : Sade was the actual name of the band
    Her middle name is Folosade which I presume is where the band name came from.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Amy Lee - lead from Evanescence

My perfect woman

Yep, she is amazing live 🤩
  • Options
    Karen Carpenter of the Carpenters
  • Options
    Tatiyana of Jinjer
  • Options
    Janis Joplin
    It’s almost like agreeing with myself.