Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Jackson has died...

124»

Comments

• Options
    What WSS said.

Unfortunately, he seems to have perpetuated the depressing cycle where the abused becomes the abuser.

He was a very talented chap who wrote (I didn't realise this until today )and performed some great songs (as well as some crap ones, but no-one's perfect). But he was deeply troubled (which isn't surprising given his uprbringing) and we should not forget that child abuse destroys lives - unfortunately this means that his legacy will probably live on in a negative way long after he is gone.
  • Options
    If ever anyone's face showed what a mess they really were it was micheal Jackson's. A very talented child and man he was clearly hugely damaged by his family and the fame. A good looking black guy becomes a grotesque mask like white wannabee you couldn't make it up. He looked like he had it all but the truth seems to be more he had his huge talent and sadly for him not much else.
    He should not deified in any way just remembered as a talented but damaged man

Micheal Jackson R.I.P.
  • Options
    Just heard someone on the tv say that "there were no dance moves before Michael Jackson came along".

Blimey, I never realised that. I bet discos in the 60's and 70's were a right laugh with people just standing around.
  • Options
    So he's dead. So what? Sorry, and I know that some might find my attitude callous, but I really couldn't give a flying bag of toss. Every time some celebrity dies there's always this "outpouring of grief". Bollocks to it, I prefer to reserve my sympathy for people that truly deserve it.

Some bloke died. Get over it.
  • Options
    agree to extent that other people also died today who were as worthy if more than MJ but he was for all his faults more than a celebrity.

He was a human being.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Don't think you are being callous at all valley floyd. None of us really knew him. I quite liked some of his music some of it I didn't. His death has no direct effect on any of us. So perfectly fair point to make.
  • Options
    Like i said earlier i'd rather save my grief for those fighting for us in Iraq and other places and for friends and family. Not for some showbiz star of dubious character
  • Options
    I was a goth when his fame was at it's height but I recognise that this very troubled man had lived an exploitative childhood and come through it it to reach the peak of thriller.

He looked at the world differently from the rest of us due to his past as others have said does not make him any more than someone who was exploited as a child and an adult.

As some have said.
  • Options
    His Music will live on forever, great entertainer, great dancer & singer.

The rest, well only a few really know the truth so I will leave that to them.

RIP MJ
  • Options
    I'll second that, valleyman.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Like i said earlier i'd rather save my grief for those fighting for us in Iraq and other places and for friends and family.
    Yep, I'm with you Uncle.

Any appreciation of Michael Jackson's music would already be based on the stuff he did 20 years ago, he was crap for such a long time I can't even remember the last decent song he released.

Yes, he was involved and has written some terrific tunes but for the love of all things right and decent, his legacy must be the depravity that total excess affords. the perfect example of celebrity corrupting a person, a family, a culture an ultimately, the entire World.

While there are people willing to put their lives on the line for every value we hold dear, for values that have taken generations of sacrifice and risk death in the process.. well, forgive me if I turn my back on the death of a very small and very insignificant human but a great singer and dancer.
  • Options
    It is not really comparable though is it, music which is an every day part of my life; and I do not note when that music was written I rarely think Mozart what has he done recently music is something I love, and war I think on the whole is not. My family have made the same sacrifices to it over the 20th Century as most of us have done. I just don't think this point is any way relevant. The guy was not insignificant he was the biggest solo pop star of the last century.
  • Options
    it will go practically unnoticed but Sky Saxon of The Seeds passed away yesterday too RIP :(

classic, classic sixties garage rock..........
  • Options
    RIP Sly

Time to dig out Nuggets again
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]as a person without kids can i state that i am not a convicted paedo and have never been accused of being one.

Your time will come...LOL!!
    Made me laugh!!!
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]They just replayed that interview with Martin Basheer (?) on Sky news:

MB: Don't you think its wrong you share your bed with young boys who are no relation to you?
    MJ: No, it's a beautiful thing, it's what the world needs.

Sorry, that is very wrong - if anyone else said that who wasnt famous etc they would get lynched - regardless if anything happened.

I feel sorry for his kids and hope Jacko rests in peace but he was a very very troubled human being.

Agree there was clearly not something right great performer though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Algarve I would argue that modern pop music really began with Hank Williams in the 40s.

My point was that in the last 50 years (ie 60 - 10) there have been very few entertainers that could match Jacko at his best - i am not a fan of his as a person, the baby dangling incident was appalling - but as a mass-market entertainer for a period up until the mid-80s he was pretty much unrivalled.

Or even Louis Jordan or Cab Calloway. I tend to go for the start being Rock Around the Clock, but as debated elsewhere, it's open to interpretation.

I think Jacksons popularity says more about the "mass market" than about any tiny vestige of talent he might have had.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Algarve I would argue that modern pop music really began with Hank Williams in the 40s.

My point was that in the last 50 years (ie 60 - 10) there have been very few entertainers that could match Jacko at his best - i am not a fan of his as a person, the baby dangling incident was appalling - but as a mass-market entertainer for a period up until the mid-80s he was pretty much unrivalled.[/quote]

Or even Louis Jordan or Cab Calloway. I tend to go for the start being Rock Around the Clock, but as debated elsewhere, it's open to interpretation.

I think Jacksons popularity says more about the "mass market" than about any tiny vestige of talent he might have had.[/quote]

Didn't it start with 'Come into the garden Maud'?
  • Options
    * LargeAddick
    * CommentTime2 days ago

quote# 44
    can't say I'm too bothered. He's gotta face his maker now, let's hope he's got some good excuses ready.

Sounds strange coming from the guy who had a large poster of him on the wall
  • Options
    All this talk of heaven and hell.

How many of you go to church? Very few I bet. We live, we die, we rot....that's all.
  • Options
    I was absolutely stunned to read this morning that virtually every flight from London to LA today is sold out as people fly out there for his funeral tomorrow. Some people have more money than sense.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I was absolutely stunned to read this morning that virtually every flight from London to LA today is sold out as people fly out there for his funeral tomorrow. Some people have more money than sense.

I'd imagine flights were pretty full anyway, even before his death... so think this is another non-story by the media
  • Options
    Anyone watch the Uri Geller thing ? What a bloody parasite hat man is , no wonder Jacko ended up so off his nut with Pals like that
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]Anyone watch the Uri Geller thing ? What a bloody parasite hat man is , no wonder Jacko ended up so off his nut with Pals like that

What a creepy insincere arsehole that Geller is.
    Complete tosser!
    Stick to your magic ya twat.....that programme last night was abysmal.
  • Options
    what was the name of the programme My friend knows Uri quite well be interesting to watch
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]what was the name of the programme My friend knows Uri quite well be interesting to watch

After watching that I hope for his sake he doesn't stay his friend!
  • Options
    I saw this thread after weeks of it in the wilderness (where it now belongs)and thought :

'What! Again?'

After all, if they revived him and then he died again, would it really be much of a surprise?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]Anyone watch the Uri Geller thing ? What a bloody parasite hat man is , no wonder Jacko ended up so off his nut with Pals like that

What a creepy insincere arsehole that Geller is.
    Complete tosser!
    Stick to your magic ya twat.....that programme last night was abysmal.
    A truly vile charlatan. Actually a half decent hypnotist, but like a lot of others preys on the weak and stupid.
  • Options
    Like Gary McAllister. ;-)