Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bray v Charlton pre-season Jul 2009 - Match Thread (worth a read)

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Don't get your hopes up Covered End, Cray have put a bid in of £20 and a £5 giftcard for Lidls.

Welcome to the House of Fun!

Just thinking, it was only four years ago we were signing England internationals in the summertime and now we are signing cast-offs from Crewe......

It's hard to get excited about new signings when you have absolutely no idea who they are!
  • Options
    Our latest trialists. Great ball control. From me to you, you to me etc etc. Keith Harris & Orville will be our new centre halves. . .
  • Options
    Still on the Guinness celebrating the xchants of sign him up after my fine movement and left footed through ball to assist shelveys assist
  • Options
    Great commentary - had me in stitches.
  • Options
    McCreary did alright all game. Is a cool centre half, but difficult to tell how good he really is as opposition were not up to League 1 or probably even 2 standard.

Richardson did well and likes to pump forward. Lera looks a bit limited to me, but can ping some lovely long distance passes with his left peg.

Before we made the changes, we looked well in control and played some nice footie. Changes were great in number and some mad out of position placement, Waggy at right back, I believe O'Leary at centre mid (looked sh*t), Fleetwood right wing, Tuna left wing etc.

Sam, Jonjo (temper needs to be kept in check mind), Bailey, Richardson, Elliott, Racon and McCreary all did well tonight

Clearly we do need a few bodies in and hopefully they will be allowed to come in in the near future.
  • Options
    [quote]Bray Wanderers were easily pushed aside by an efficient performance by English League One side Charlton Athletic in Wednesday night's friendly at the Carlisle Grounds. Chris McCready and Lloyd Sam got the goals for the Addicks who also missed a penalty from Izale McLeod.

Charlton had the first chance of the evening with 11 minutes gone. Lloyd Sam's ball was chested down by Jonjo Shelvey at the back post. After knocking the ball back to Nicky Bailey, Bailey drove the ball at goal from the edge of the area only for it to be blocked by Stephen Brennan.

Five minutes later, Charlton nearly took the lead through a mistake by Wanderers' Chris O'Connor. O'Connor ran off the line to clear the ball on the left-hand side of the box but his clearance was blocked by Stuart Fleetwood. The ball then fell to Shelvey but O'Connor recovered to smother the ball.

Charlton's early pressure tolled in the 22nd minute when Chris McCready gave them the lead with a header. Jonjo Shelvey's corner from the left landed on the forehead of McCready who powered a header in from inside the six-yard box.

While the best Bray could manage in the first half was a deflected shot by Dave Mulcahy in the 35th minute, Athletic looked much more dangerous in the middle of the park and doubled their lead in the 40th minute when Man of the Match Lloyd Sam scored with a tap in at the far post. Shelvey was the provider once again and his ball from the left was met by Sam who came in from the right and sidefooted home from a few yards out.

Right before the interval, Charlton nearly grabbed another when a one-two between Fleetwood and Shelvey set Fleetwood clear in the box. However, O'Connor was quick off his line to thwart Charlton.

Following a flurry of substitutes by both sides in the second half, the game died down, although the visitors did miss a penalty in the 66th minute. Following a foul by Dane Massey on Scott Wagstaff, Izale McLeod stepped up. Despite having sent keeper Brian Kane the wrong way, his effort went wide of the right-hand post.

In the final twelve minutes, the Seagulls finally began to create some chances. Ian Tuohy's strike from 25-yards went inches wide after he was set up by Darren Forsyth in the 78th minute.

With five minutes to go, a cross by Daire Doyle was met by the head of Forsyth who forced Robbie Elliott into his first real save of the game with a header that seemed destined for the bottom corner.

In the space of a minute, Bray went close twice more. With two minutes remaining, Dane Massey's 35-yard drive had to be tipped over by Elliott. From Richie O'Hanlon's resulting corner, Elliott missed the ball and Daire Doyle steered the ball to goal with a header. Doyle was denied a goal though as Charlton cleared the ball off the line.

Although the hosts threatened towards the final whistle, 2-0 was a fair result as Charlton were much the better side over the ninety minutes.

Bray Wanderers (4-5-1): Chris O'Connor ; Derek Pender, Stephen Brennan , Dave Webster, Philip Knight; Gareth Coughlan, Dave O'Neill, Dave Mulcahy, Chris Shields, Jake Kelly; Patrick Kavanagh.
    Subs used: Brian Kane, Derek Pender, Dean Fletcher, Ian Tuohy, Richie O'Hanlon, Dane Massey, John Mulroy, Daire Doyle, Colm Tresson, Gary McCabe, Shane O'Neill, Darren Forsyth, Nicky Byrne.
    Subs not used: Andy McNulty.
    Bookings: None.

Charlton Athletic (4-4-2): Robbie Elliott; Frazer Richardson, Chris McCready, Miguel Llera, Grant Basey; Lloyd Sam, Matt Spring, Thierry Racon, Nicky Bailey; Stuart Fleetwood, Jonjo Shelvey.
    Subs used: Scott Wagstaff, Chris Dixon, Yado Mambo, Jack Clark, Deon Burton, Kris O'Leary, Alex Stavrinou, Tamer Tuna, Izale McLeod.
    Subs not used: Darren Randolph.
    Bookings: None.

Extratime.ie Man of the Match: Lloyd Sam - Charlton's right winger was the focus of many of their attacks.

Referee: Declan Hanney (Dublin).

Attendance: 250 (estimate).
    [/quote]

so lloyd sam was shot but still won man of the match! wow he must of done well to get back on track and they told us our secret trialist ;)
  • Options
    Just reading through it again and I wonder why Addickted was never mentioned in the report?
  • Options
    Just got back to the hotel. Had a few more pints and then got the last train back. The best part of the night was the U2 tribute band at the Bray Festival and the relief of having a pee after a bumpy 50 journey.

Night night peeps
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafc-4-life[/cite]so lloyd sam was shot but still won man of the match! wow he must of done well to get back on track and they told us our secret trialist ;)

Maybe because we like to moan soon as he does one bad pass or cross and say "Sam has no end product". They see his pace and dribbling, with the odd bit of end product and he looks dangerous.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: cafc-4-life[/cite]so lloyd sam was shot but still won man of the match! wow he must of done well to get back on track and they told us our secret trialist ;)[/quote]

Maybe because we like to moan soon as he does one bad pass or cross and say "Sam has no end product". They see his pace and dribbling, with the odd bit of end product and he looks dangerous.[/quote]

haha fair enough, what about no mention off addickted in there, and his set up? or was he the one doing the shooting?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Errrrr........Very Late News coming through.Clem:

"Cannae resist last update..Bar..Flags..pissed locals..singing contest....."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Don't get your hopes up Covered End, Cray have put a bid in of £20 and a £5 giftcard for Lidls.

Welcome to the House of Fun!

Just thinking, it was only four years ago we were signing England internationals in the summertime and now we are signing cast-offs from Crewe......

!

Danny Murphy, Crewe cast off.
  • Options
    Do we know if Sam and Basey have recovered from their shootings ?
  • Options
    Lloyd Sam - Man of the Match, that's my boy
  • Options
    I just read this - absoluely hilarious!!! Well done.
  • Options
    BEST THREAD IN A WHILE LOL

Really guys brilliant read!
  • Options
    Just got to Dublin Airport. All the Charlton players are here but I can't bring myself to say anything to them as I have the mother of all hangovers. Very hot and sweaty at the moment. Someone has said hello to me but I don't have a clue who he is.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite] Someone has said hello to me but I don't have a clue who he is.
    Cory Gibbs
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite] Someone has said hello to me but I don't have a clue who he is.

The new owner not going to be impressed with you blanking him like that : - )
  • Options
    robbo on the wing rang me last from bray sounded like he had great fun definately bladdered my family come fom shankhill which is down the road and they said they could hear him and frankie noisy feckers ; believe me its a great place and they are great people hope everyone who went out there had a great time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    yes he rang us last also... we couldnt hear him from the U2 tribute concert by that stage! but he made me laugh when he said about the lino shouting "fekk off yer c***" at them.
  • Options
    Just on the train home now.

Been sick twice and my head is pounding but what a great time.

Ended up in a club with the players.
  • Options
    hahaha SE10. good stuff.

(obviously the players were drinking Tipperary Spring Water).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]Just on the train home now.

Been sick twice and my head is pounding but what a great time.

Ended up in a club with the players.

That's obviously why we're now only taking a second XI to FGR!
  • Options
    i just read this again. thanks Valley Mc for your updates.. one of my faves "Half time. I hope there's a barp. Darrren Randolps dad has got hands like shovels "
  • Options
    B...at that point I could hardly focus on the keys of my phone. Everything was a blur.
  • Options
    Brilliant. give us more details. What time did you go out etc etc. did you meet up with the others.
  • Options
    If the club do this again, I would recommend it to anyone. The sheer buzz of the city and the fact that so many of the locals are out getting absolutely ratted on a mid week night is very funny. Maybe I just don't do this enough in the West End any more? Having got to the ground early, I managed to speak to PP for 15-20 mins. Very candid, albeit pre-fixing some of what he said with "confidentially", which will be honoured, but he did impress me with what he had to say and I get the impression that this crop are now responding to him and his style. I was surprised that he was willing to sit and chat for that long, but good on him and whether some of you like this or not, I hope he does well this season. It is clear he will give it his all. Let's just hope ome keys will help unlock his shackles some time soon. He may just be ready to race out of the traps........
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Pavo[/cite]If the club do this again, I would recommend it to anyone. The sheer buzz of the city and the fact that so many of the locals are out getting absolutely ratted on a mid week night is very funny. Maybe I just don't do this enough in the West End any more? Having got to the ground early, I managed to speak to PP for 15-20 mins. Very candid, albeit pre-fixing some of what he said with "confidentially", which will be honoured, but he did impress me with what he had to say and I get the impression that this crop are now responding to him and his style. I was surprised that he was willing to sit and chat for that long, but good on him and whether some of you like this or not, I hope he does well this season. It is clear he will give it his all. Let's just hope ome keys will help unlock his shackles some time soon. He may just be ready to race out of the traps........

A good news post.......Splendid !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Brilliant. give us more details. What time did you go out etc etc. did you meet up with the others.

Mrs McMoist and I started at 11am in O'Connell Street. had a fair few pints and some stew before we got the train. Didn't meet up with anyone until we got to Bray. First person I bumped into was Vincent. Had a few pints in the pub on the corner and then headed to the ground. Met the latest member of the Charlton Life family, Bray Wanderer, and tried to have a meaningful conversation. Afterwards we went to the U2 concert. I was in the pub where Robbo on the Wing was. Not sure which one he was but either he or his mate was talking or, should I say rambling, to me and I didn't understand a word he was saying (if you're reading this ROTW...Sorry mate). A few of us got the last Dart back to Dublin and I sloped off to go back to the hotel for a nightcap. Had a look in my wallet this morning and I was about €100 down in notes but about €30 in change. Fantastic few days and I hope the club do it again next year