Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bray v Charlton pre-season Jul 2009 - Match Thread (worth a read)

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Pavo[/cite]If the club do this again, I would recommend it to anyone. The sheer buzz of the city and the fact that so many of the locals are out getting absolutely ratted on a mid week night is very funny. Maybe I just don't do this enough in the West End any more? Having got to the ground early, I managed to speak to PP for 15-20 mins. Very candid, albeit pre-fixing some of what he said with "confidentially", which will be honoured, but he did impress me with what he had to say and I get the impression that this crop are now responding to him and his style. I was surprised that he was willing to sit and chat for that long, but good on him and whether some of you like this or not, I hope he does well this season. It is clear he will give it his all. Let's just hope ome keys will help unlock his shackles some time soon. He may just be ready to race out of the traps........

Sounds like a top bloke so lets hope he can do the business this season and shut his critics (me included) up with results.
  • Options
    For those used to the Guinness, does it ALWAYS do that to you?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]For those used to the Guinness, does it ALWAYS dothatto you?

It's not called the black stuff for nothing !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]For those used to the Guinness, does it ALWAYS dothatto you?

It's not called the black stuff for nothing !

I thought you missed the 'plane!

14 people did. :-)))
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]

Saw you all at the front, but we sneeked in the back door. The 14 who missed it probably couldn't do the six miles to the departure gate !
  • Options

When I return from Ireland, I land one day and the next day the guinness lands.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]

Saw you all at the front, but we sneeked in the back door. The 14 who missed it probably couldn't do the six miles to the departure gate !

This is probably the reason why its the second XI at FGR as the first team is still in Ireland.
  • Options
    Picture this.

A Trialist comes on for the 2nd half and makes less of a contribution than my assist for Shelvey's assist. After the warming down period for those that finished the game, followed by a 'little chat' with the players, A Trialist is kept behind for a few words. He sits down in the middle of the pitch, on his own, for about two minutes after everyone has gone. He stands up and with a bowed head, trudges dejectedly back towards the changing rooms, deep in his own thoughts (and obviously worrying about how he can lose two stone in a fortnight).

As he walks pass Live by the Sword a shout comes out......

"Oi mate, give us your kit. Let's be honest, you won't be wearing it again".

I blame the parents.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Just starting to recover. Have awoken from a 3 hour "nap".

Valley - I feel your financial pain. 220euros done in 24 hours!!!!! Please remember flights and hotel were booked well in advance.

Hi-lights, the Cork CASC supporters club. Sorry chaps can't remember your names. BTW - they got a couple of chavs ejected after they took offence at their supporting of Cork City. Single malt from an I Luv Bray Wanderers Mug (I have photographic evidence that will follow).

Match is a bit of a blur, drinking with Vince & Co afterwards.

Crazy locals and Irish folk songs.

Tried to get up to use the loo at 4am, fell flat on my back. Room spinning, managed to make it to the loo. To pissed to get back to bed, awoke on the hotel room floor at 8am. Wife found this very amusing.

Team on the flight home. Lots of snippets of info. Will post elsewhere.

Might be tomorrow as even though I only had 2 pints of black-stuff I am having the same issues that others have mentioned.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]yes he rang us last also... we couldnt hear him from the U2 tribute concert by that stage! but he made me laugh when he said about the lino shouting "fekk off yer c***" at them.
    Excellent craic.
    Speaking to the head steward about the ban on alcohol. He opened the gate for us to pop over to the offy opposite and get some tinnies. Our lot could learn some lessons from them.
    As the other posters have written, lovely place/people, but very trumpy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The ban on alcohol at Bray is fairly new.... we use to pop out at half time during evry match for a quick couple of pints in the pub over the train tracks and be back for the second half. Unfortunately the club stopped this a couple of years ago as visitors like the notorious Shamrock Rovers were taking advantage and having chasers too!!!....and as you visitors to Bray's 'Field of Dreams' know, Shamrock Rovers and alcolohol equal 'Walls Come Tumbling Down'....
    Good to see you all over here....the craic was better than the football. Hope my 2 boys kept you entertained 'fighting on the terraces' despite Vince's vain attempts to get them singing......will bring my Drum next year?!
    Gald you all enjoyed the trip to Bray...... Bray enjoyed having Charlton too.
  • Options
    Nice one with Mr Wanderer. Hopefully it will happen next year and a few more of us make it across.
  • Options
    Looks like McCready (the CB trialist) will not be joining us as he's just had a failed trial at Gillingham.
  • Options
    I may have spoken too soon as the Daily Star says we could be offering him a two year deal.
  • Options
    Was he deffo the same triallist that sat on the pitch on his own, with his head in his hands after the warmdown ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Was he deffo the same triallist that sat on the pitch on his own, with his head in his hands after the warmdown ?

Apparently he was suicidal after we offered him a 2 year deal ;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Was he deffo the same triallist that sat on the pitch on his own, with his head in his hands after the warmdown ?

From what Addickted said that would have been O'Leary but he can confirm that.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    It was O'Leary
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Was he deffo the same triallist that sat on the pitch on his own, with his head in his hands after the warmdown ?[/quote]

From what Addickted said that would have been O'Leary but he can confirm that.[/quote]

It was O'Leary.

For what its worth, I thought (through the alcohol fog) that McCready looked pretty solid. Definitely worth another look against better oppostion.

I have a few pictures to post up, they are too big for the site. Can anyone advise how you get one of those photobucket accounts?.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Looks like McCready (the CB trialist) will not be joining us as he's just had a failed trial at Gillingham.

think the failed trial was before he played for us although maybe they are saying he failed a trial to save face as we are signing him, better than 'we've lost out to Charlton'. See The Jills are going to offer Youssef a contract. Same division as us and some on here were disappointed he was released so will be interesting to see how he does and if we have made a ricket. Signing Sam Long too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Looks like McCready (the CB trialist) will not be joining us as he's just had a failed trial at Gillingham.

think the failed trial was before he played for us although maybe they are saying he failed a trial to save face as we are signing him, better than 'we've lost out to Charlton'. See The Jills are going to offer Youssef a contract. Same division as us and some on here were disappointed he was released so will be interesting to see how he does and if we have made a ricket. Signing Sam Long too.

I think you might be right (about McCready) Large as he played at the weekend for them and they've only announced his departure today. Maybe their is something in the Star story. There's a first time for everything!
  • Options
    I know that we have to lower our sights player wise but looking at McCready's career I really think we are scraping the bottom of the barrell with this one (if he signs).

doesn't inspire me much
  • Options
    Just been reminded that I tried to have a pee in a beer can on the way back to Dublin and nearly sliced my willy in two. I completely forgot about that.
  • Options
    Could Gillinghams interest in our (ex) players be anything to do with the estimable Mark Robson?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley McMoist[/cite]Just been reminded that I tried to have a pee in a beer can on the way back to Dublin and nearly sliced my willy in two. I completely forgot about that.

Thanks for that, Valley Mac.

Any advice how I can erase the unwanted mental picture of you 'dicing' with the prospect of stunted manhood .... ?

;o)
  • Options
    Just dragged this up from the past. What a great few days away. Why can't we go back to Bray. Best pre-season friendly ever...
  • Options
    don't remember this thread but have just read from the beginning....hilarious
  • Options
    Bray is a great place got a lot of family there , carlise ground and next door the hibernian inn, would love us to play there again i was away last time we played, but had family who live there attend the game gutted.
  • Options
    I think we played Bray in pre season 98/99 . It might have been the first tour of Ireland Charlton did