Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

O/S statement

Further to the recent speculation surrounding the future of the club, the board of Charlton Athletic plc would like to inform all supporters and shareholders that it will, as always, act in the best interests of Charlton Athletic plc and the football club.

Over a period of months, there have been approaches from interested parties. One such approach, an offer for the football club (through an acquisition of some of the assets and liabilities of Charlton Athletic plc), is being progressed, and the board will make a formal announcement at the appropriate time.

Following relegation from the Championship last season, we are mindful of the financial consequences and will continue to work towards ensuring that Charlton are prepared for the new season, both on and off the pitch.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2009
    So it's not dead yet, interesting...
    (And thanks for posting the text of this up before the website collapses under the weight of everybody trying to access it all at once)
  • Options
    We wanted a statement.............'IS being progressed'....sort of explains it for now.
  • Options
    Well it confirms what we knew.

Now wait for everyone to moan again. But they can't say anything else !
  • Options
    This is positive news but not as poitive as i was hoping for!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    "SOME of the assets and liabilities" is quite interesting ?
  • Options
    and that took five days !! If another more substantial statement is going to be made in September say, they better start it now.
  • Options
    Well they kept that a secret...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]and that took five days !! If another more substantial statement is going to be made in September say, they better start it now.

LOL
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Well it confirms what we knew.

Now wait for everyone to moan again. But they can't say anything else !
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]and that took five days !! If another more substantial statement is going to be made in September say, they better start it now.

Surprise surprise .
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]"SOME of the assets and liabilities" is quite interesting ?

I take that to mean it wouldn't include the purchase of the assets held by Murray, Whitehead & co ie the training ground, Landsdowne Mews houses etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So basically we are in the same position we thought we were in about four months ago.
  • Options

I think they should tell us everything now and sod the consequences.

Who cares if it breaks dow as a result we need to know now.

come on, it confirms what we wanted to hear. There has been an offer which is progress but not a done deal by the sound of it.

I'm going to try not to get too excited just yet but YIPPIE I A, YIPPIE I O
  • Options
    More than one partie which is interesting, could be a reason why this whole thing has taken so long.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]"SOME of the assets and liabilities" is quite interesting ?

This is what i don't get either.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]

I take that to mean it wouldn't include the purchase of the assets held by Murray, Whitehead & co ie the training ground, Landsdowne Mews houses etc.

Could be. Could be a lot of other things as well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]So basically we are in the same position we thought we were in about four months ago.

Yeah, but now no one can say they think nothing is going on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

come on, it confirms what we wanted to hear. There has been an offer which is progress but not a done deal by the sound of it.

I'm not saying tell us all now and sod the consequenses but five days for that. It could've been knocked up by midday Monday.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]

This is what i don't get either.

Controlling stake doesnt need to be 100%, does it?
  • Options

Could be. Could be a lot of other things as well.

The ground itself ? hmmmmmmmmm
  • Options

I'm not saying tell us all now and sod the consequenses but five days for that. It could've been knocked up by midday Monday.

Not if the offer came into today it couldn't.

Stop fretting about how hard done by you are cos you didn't get a statement on Monday and consider the reasons why that might be.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    or perhaps they don't want to be saddled with some of the liabilities.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    but five days for that. It could've been knocked up by midday Monday.

Have you considered that it may not have been true at midday on Monday ??
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]and that took five days !! If another more substantial statement is going to be made in September say, they better start it now.[/quote]

I'm going to try not to get too excited just yet but YIPPIE I A, YIPPIE I O[/quote]

I'm not saying tell us all now and sod the consequenses but five days for that. It could've been knocked up by midday Monday.[/quote]

Perhaps they were hoping that the only announcement they would have to make would be that the takeover had gone through......
  • Options
    Maybe it means that they are selling off parts of the club but the buyers will have no involvement in the direction of the club. Raising cash to stabilise finances. No point speculating until it comes out suppose.
  • Options
    "Further to the recent speculation surrounding the future of the club, the board of Charlton Athletic plc would like to inform all supporters and shareholders that it will, as always, act in the best interests of Charlton Athletic plc and the football club.

Over a period of months, there have been approaches from interested parties. One such approach, an offer for the football club (through an acquisition of some of the assets and liabilities of Charlton Athletic plc), is being progressed, and the board will make a formal announcement at the appropriate time.

Following relegation from the Championship last season, we are mindful of the financial consequences and will continue to work towards ensuring that Charlton are prepared for the new season, both on and off the pitch."

Well, you learn something new every day.
    Staggering anouncement that.
    Shocking.
  • Options
    Probably started as a longer statement, but after consultations more and more bits were lopped off (did the lawyers have to OK it?). The summation is something is happening, and the board say they are acting in the best interests of football club.
  • Options
    See what you mean - jeesh! Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
  • Options
    Peter Varney's an interesting party. . .

Bring yer Vodka and yer Charlie!
  • Options
    We waited all week for *that*?