Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bailey off to Boro?

Comments

• He won't be going anywhere at that money while the takeover thing is still ongoing.
  • edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]He won't be going anywhere at that money while the takeover thing is still ongoing.

However, if the takeover fails, could he be going for that amount?
  • when was he ever Charlton 'skipper' ?
  • In 1 of the Sundays says Gray-Barnsley-£600,000.
  • Cant see it happening but if he does go could be his ticket to premiership football Boro prob one of the favorites to bounce back to the prem
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]when was he ever Charlton 'skipper' ?

Pre season, pretty sure he was never captain last season.
  • did we have a captain on the field last season?
  • Na he wasnt was he what preseason matches was he skipper did he come off the bench as skipper against Welling then? If so i diddnt recognise that dont remember seing that.
  • Ta****er or no ta****er, if we get less for Bailey than we did for Hudson, it's not good business.

At 750k with the sell on fee owed to Southend (and other fees) deducted, the club might get less back than they paid for him.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Na he wasnt was he what preseason matches was he skipper did he come off the bench as skipper against Welling then? If so i diddnt recognise that dont remember seing that.

Yeah Spring first half Bailey second. Maybe half a match or so in Ireland, not sure.

Anyway if Boro really do come in for him he won't turn them down.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Na he wasnt was he what preseason matches was he skipper did he come off the bench as skipper against Welling then? If so i diddnt recognise that dont remember seing that.

Yeah Spring first half Bailey second. Maybe half a match or so in Ireland, not sure.

Anyway if Boro really do come in for him he won't turn them down.

You sure of that?
  • edited July 2009
    Of Bailey being captain in the second half against Welling? Yes he was.

Only reason he might turn them down is if he doesn't want to move up north. Bailey though is very ambitious (opposite to someone like Fortune who seems very comfortable and happy to stay whatever league we're in) and has shown in his career so far he will go if an offer from a bigger club comes along. Notice he only signed a 3 year deal, often we've seen players signed 4 year contracts when they are major signings, and the way earlier on this summer he said if he has to stay he will, rather than he'll definitely stay.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Of Bailey being captain in the second half against Welling? Yes he was.

Only reason he might turn them down is if he doesn't want to move up north. Bailey though is very ambitious (opposite to someone like Fortune who seems very comfortable and happy to stay whatever league we're in) and has shown in his career so far he will go if an offer from a bigger club comes along. Notice he only signed a 3 year deal, often we've seen players signed 4 year contracts when they are major signings, and the way earlier on this summer he said if he has to stay he will, rather than he'll definitely stay.

Maybe his 'agent' is more ambitious than he is...ever thought of that?
  • Bailey signed a new contrct over a week ago. Club upped his money from £9000 to 12500 a week . He is not going anywhere ...FACT .....Horses mouth etc etc...
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Of Bailey being captain in the second half against Welling? Yes he was.

Seeing as he has moved his client on each year for the past three seasons I would say that might just be the case.
  • [cite]Posted By: WIZZO1952[/cite]Bailey signed a new contrct over a week ago. Club upped his money from £9000 to 12500 a week . He is not going anywhere ...FACT .....Horses mouth etc etc...

Bailey told you that personally then?
  • More or less, my mate drinks with him and he phoned me the news with Bailey standing next to him in the pub.
  • edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: WIZZO1952[/cite]More or less, my mate drinks with him and he phoned me the news with Bailey standing next to him in the pub.

fair enough although not quite the horses mouth is it.

Strange that he tells a drinking buddy how much he earns but that's his business I guess.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]

I'm sure agents can be quite persuasive, but it's unlikely Bailey was dragged under gun point to sign contracts at Southend and the Charlton.

Looking at it purely from a career progression point of view, he'd be a fool to turn Boro down if the board decide they want to sell.
  • Henry strange that he tells a drinking buddy? The pub, and beers is often the place were money get's talked about. Whether the person talking about the largesse is speaking the truth though.....

More alarming is the fact that a good but limited footballer is on 9 grand a week, let alone a bump to 12,500. That seems a bit excessive to me, and possitively crazy. As Southend rarely pay over a couple of grand a week, from the horses mouth, if we ever negotiated that sort of pay packet people deserve to lose every penny of their investment in the club.
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: WIZZO1952[/cite]Bailey signed a new contrct over a week ago. Club upped his money from £9000 to 12500 a week . He is not going anywhere ...FACT .....Horses mouth etc etc...[/quote]

Strange that the club didn't announce this, I'd have thought that this kind of news would be perfect PR material.
  • [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Henry strange that he tells a drinking buddy? The pub, and beers is often the place were money get's talked about. Whether the person talking about the largesse is speaking the truth though.....

More alarming is the fact that a good but limited footballer is on 9 grand a week, let alone a bump to 12,500.

That's why I would take it with a pinch of salt.

I don't know what Bailey was on or if his wages have gone up. Seems odd to give him a new contract now with all the uncertainty over the club's finances and ownership.

What I do know is that when I did know exactly what players were earning the figures reported on messages boards were nearly always wrong and much too high.
  • Most people wouldn't be too happy if their 'drinking buddy' just blurted out to his mates, that they had just had
    a £3,500 per week pay rise, let alone the exact wage they were earning.

And footballers knowing that they are 'public property' and that there's massive internet & media gossip, normally try to keep that sort of personal information under wraps - if only to protect their own family.

Obviously it's not true until it's on the OS.

;o)
  • I would have thought the OS would have told us if he'd signed a new contract. (Not sure they would be good enough to tell us how much he was earning though) ;0) Anyway 750 000 nowhere near enough.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

Obviously it's not true until it's on the OS.

you keep saying that Oggy. Quite tiresome you know : -)
  • I can see the contract extension and upping wages being true - especially if he's been made Club captain after Hudson and Holland going.
  • Surely we're only going to pay him that sort of money if we can afford it, which we can't unless we're taken over and a decent bit of money is put into the club?
  • edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]I can see the contract extension and upping wages being true - especially if he's been made Club captain after Hudson and Holland going.

Quite possible but seems odd when we have offered Randolph and Fortune contracts that appear to depend on the takeover.

Maybe a longer contract = bigger transfer fee but we shall see. How many clubs has he been linked with now this summer. Watford, Boro, Birmingham, Wolves who else?
  • £3.5k a week is 'only' another £182k p/a.

If we've saved £500k p/a on Hudson's wages, I think that's a reasonable sum for a high scoring midfielder who may well be our lynch pin next season - particularly if he's signed an extension which should make him more expensive for other interested parties.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]£3.5k a week is 'only' another £182k p/a.

If we've saved £500k p/a on Hudson's wages, I think that's a reasonable sum for a high scoring midfielder who may well be our lynch pin next season - particularly if he's signed an extension which should make him more expensive for other interested parties.

Understand what you are saying but £3.5k pw is another player and that's the way it would be looked at IMHO.