Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bailey off to Boro?

13»

Comments

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]I would imagine our more valuable players (assets) will not be sold until we know either way if this Takeover is happening.[/quote]

It didn't stop Hudson going and I can't see Barnsley waiting (after all it's nearly two months since talks supposedly started) for Gray. Bearing in mind Bailey is playing out of position anyway, we should take a good profit for him. Worth waiting if it's only going to be worth reported £1/2m profit to us though. We should probably hold out until nearer the end of the window regardless, so as to get the best price - even £1.5m for a 13 goal midfielder seems cheap. I'd like to see Davidson go out on loan immediately, if he has an impact for a Div 2 or Blue Square side, he could be a ready made replacement.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]I'd like to see Davidson go out on loan immediately, if he has an impact for a Div 2 or Blue Square side, he could be a ready made replacement.
    Only saw him for a bit tonight, is he actually any good? Is he any better than say Wagstaff? Wasn't on for long but he didn't come across as a great prospect. Went to the youth cup game against Spurs in January and other players were ahead of him, makes me think if he was that good he'd have played more regularly for the u18s last season.
  • Options
    Young players can come on a bundle in just 6 months, Sco.

He must look good in training, otherwise he wouldn't be near the 1st team (like Lisbie used to?).
    Also, these are his first tentative steps in a first XI, so he'll be a bit nervous and anxious not to make mistakes.

Once he gets a few more games under his belt, relaxes and feels that he can play his attacking game, he may very well show the flair at this level that people are expecting of him.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]I'd like to see Davidson go out on loan immediately, if he has an impact for a Div 2 or Blue Square side, he could be a ready made replacement.[/quote]
    Only saw him for a bit tonight, is he actually any good? Is he any better than say Wagstaff? Wasn't on for long but he didn't come across as a great prospect. Went to the youth cup game against Spurs in January and other players were ahead of him, makes me think if he was that good he'd have played more regularly for the u18s last season.[/quote]

Didn't go last night, but at Forest Green he had a couple of runs, on one he beat two players, nut-megged one, got through on goal and let go a pile=driver from an angle that the keeper did well to save. One of the few times we made their goalie work.

I can't afford a ST, getting back on my feet after 6 months unemployed, but I won't be making many trips to the Valley to watch 4-5-1 and I can see us getting too many draws with that line-up.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Parky seems to pick that variation of 4-5-1 no doubt because he feels he can get the best out of Jonjo.

Jonjo is given a relatively free role to play in the hole just behind Burton, linking up with the midfield 4 - and because of his mobility and positioning, virtually unmarkable.

In any case, it's more 4-4-1-1.

Looking at a a present '1st choice' line up of midfielders:
    Sam, Semedo, Racon & Bailey spread across midfield from right to left, that's a pretty decent and balanced midfield in the Curbs style - and on paper at least, is a skilful and creative yet ball winning unit.

We might be more effective with Darren Bent leading the line instead of Burton .... but then again, we're in the Third division now.
  • Options
    If Mcleod would just hit his shot's i'd call for him upfront dribbles well then pussies out of taking the shot - and i dont really like Mcleod!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Parky seems to pick that variation of 4-5-1 no doubt because he feels he can get the best out of Jonjo.

Jonjo is given a relatively free role to play in the hole just behind Burton, linking up with the midfield 4 - and because of his mobility and positioning, virtually unmarkable.

quote]

We threw away any faint hope of staying up last year by going 4-5-1 and not troubling ordinary sides enough to win. How many draws or narrow losses will we have to endure before even the Parky supporters want him out?
  • Options
    So with the players he has, what formation should Parky use (bearing in mind that 4-4-1-1 is virtually 4-4-2 but with a deep lying forward/linkman).

And what do you think is the best formation to get the best out of JonJo ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Parky seems to pick that variation of 4-5-1 no doubt because he feels he can get the best out of Jonjo.

Looking at a a present '1st choice' line up of midfielders:
    Sam, Semedo, Racon & Bailey spread across midfield from right to left, that's a pretty decent and balanced midfield in the Curbs style - and on paper at least, is a skilful and creative yet ball winning unit.

We might be more effective with Darren Bent leading the line instead of Burton .... but then again, we're in the Third division now.

I like the look of that midfield, and playing in a free role clearly gets the best out of Jonjo.

Seen him in central midfield a few times now, and I often get the feeling he's trying to do too much there. Wants to do everything and control the game. Playing in the hole takes that pressure up, frees him up and he looks much more natural there.

It's near enough 4-4-2 anyway, Jonjo plays right up the pitch at times, sometimes comes deep, he's certainly not there to run back and make it a 5 man midfield every time we lose the ball.

What we don't have with Burton and Jonjo up there is real pace, but who do you drop to get that pace in the team? We won't pass the ball as well with any of the three other strikers (I'm assuming Gray will be going), and I'd imagine we'll see far more long balls over the top for one of them to chase.
  • Options
    Mcleod could do that if he'd take shots rather than that extra touch too many!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Mcleod could do that if he'd take shots rather than that extra touch too many!

Sure sign of striker lacking confidence.

4-4-1-1/4-5-1 is fine and very attacking if you have a fast mobile striker leading the line like D Bent. A confident McLeod is the closest we have to that. Kandol could do the job too IMHO
  • Options
    That 4-4-1-1 does seem to favour the current players we have, and could be effective away from home. Always nice to have a quick 4-4-2 option so we'll just have to see who comes in when Gray / Fleetwood move on as seems likely. Guess none of us know divs 3 & 4 well enough to suggest realisic targets to replace them - the likes of McLeod & Varney appeared perfect on paper.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Mcleod could do that if he'd take shots rather than that extra touch too many!

I couldn't tell if that was McLeod or Dickson if you're talking about the chance one of them had last night. A lot of the crowd behind the goal shouted shoot and he took it onto his left foot for some reason then got tackled.

Probably what Henry said, lack of confidence.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]

I couldn't tell if that was McLeod or Dickson if you're talking about the chance one of them had last night. A lot of the crowd behind the goal shouted shoot and he took it onto his left foot for some reason then got tackled.

As a striker you either have that 'killer' instinct (regarding where the net is) or you don't................as far as i can tell he hasn't.
  • Options
    it's funny to think that we have four more than decent players to fill two central midfield berth's and to accomodate them all, as you can't leave any out imo, two have to play out of position. We have an abundance of riches there but elsewhere come up short in quality. Shame the quality wasn't shared more evenly throughout the squad rather than in one area. Saying that Bailey or Shelvey will still go imo.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]As a striker you either have that 'killer' instinct (regarding where the net is) or you don't................as far as i can tell he hasn't.
    I agree he doesn't, but he doesn't look too confident either. At least if he was confident he'd have taken a shot.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]it's funny to think that we have four more than decent players to fill two central midfield berth's and to accomodate them all, as you can't leave any out imo, two have to play out of position. We have an abundance of riches there but elsewhere come up short in quality. Shame the quality wasn't shared more evenly throughout the squad rather than in one area. Saying that Bailey or Shelvey will still go imo.

Shelvey playing in the hole isn't out of position for me. It's his best position. Only Bailey is out of position on the left, but we actually got much more out of him when he played there last season. It gives him more freedom, he helps out our left back, and means good players like Racon aren't left out. It sounds worse than it actually is.

To think this time last year we also had Holland, Wright, Arter, Yussuff and a fit Sinclair as competition to play CM (and had released Dorian Smith). At least now the numbers are much closer to what we actually need. I blame Pardew for that. Too many signings we didn't need and the ones we did need weren't/aren't good enough.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]

T'was McLeod with the wrist thingy on....
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Bailey allegedly spotted in Whitehall Gardens in Bromley playing with his young son today.

So one last look at the local park before moving to Boro? enjoying an afternoon off after a game last night? On his way to Peter Varney's house (short stroll away) to meet new manager?

Although since Henry Jnr wasn't 100% sure it was him and didn't go up and speak to him this is a totally useless rumour but that never stopped anyone else.
  • Options
    Personally I feel Jonjo looks better in a midlle pairing as it allows his vision and range of passing to be used more.

A game towards the end of last season (cant remember who) he was dropped into the midfield 2 and looked a lot better spreading the pass then making his run to join the box. For me him, bailey and racon to fight out for the 2 berths and play 2 up top. I think JJ passing range will open up untold defences in this league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "likes this"

Only if the strikers and other players on are his wavelength though Dyer.