Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parky - change of opinion...?

edited July 2009 in General Charlton
At the end of last season I was firmly in the Parky out camp. Now, given that we are so close to the start of the season, I think it may do more harm than good if new owners (if any of course) decide to replace him. So in view of what appear to be sensible signings and sensible post match comments, my view is that we should give him a go and get behind him and the team - at least he has been in this league before. I also think he has conducted himself well in what must be difficult circumstances for him personally.

What say you, fellow Lifers?

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2009
    I'd keep him for the moment, but its difficult for him, he has been under a cloud of uncertainty all summer and not been able to rebuild the side as he would have liked. If we are going to keep him though, we the fans must give him some time, so if Wycombe score after 5 minutes on the 8th the boo's need to be held back.
  • Options
    Ssssshhh
  • Options
    Yeah, I make you right. With all this crazy stuff going on behind the scenes, Parky his just kept his gob shut & got on with his job. Like any aspect of life, whether it is in your personal or professional life, you have to be able to indentify a leader. I cannot identify anyone in the boardroom as being a leader or a figurehead of the club anymore. The only person I can identify at being at the helm of Charlton is Parky. Whether that's good or bad, or show's just how far we've fallen is relevant. As you say, Parky has conducted himself well in difficult circumstances & I am now right behind him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]At the end of last season I was firmly in the Parky out camp. Now, given that we are so close to the start of the season, I think it may do more harm than good if new owners (if any of course) decide to replace him. So in view of what appear to be sensible signings and sensible post match comments, my view is that we should give him a go and get behind him and the team - at least he has been in this league before. I also think he has conducted himself well in what must be difficult circumstances for him personally.

What say you, fellow Lifers?

gotta say I agree with all of that.
  • Options
    Agree.

tho old jonnybev was calling you a nob the other night for shouting parky out! :-)
  • Options
    Do we have a choice ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Agree.

tho old jonnybev was calling you a nob the other night for shouting parky out! :-)

I saw that. Luckily I'm thick skinned.
  • Options
    I am now firmly in the "keep Parky" camp. He hasn't done much wrong over the past couple of months and he always seems to say the right things..........he just now has to deliver on the pitch with results. His contract is up next June so if he balls it up this season the board can get rid without having to pay any compo.
  • Options
    SHG is right we don't have a choice, but having said that I agree with the others that Parky (and Kinsella) are in a v.difficult positions and are getting on with the job of preparing for life in Div 1. IF this take over happens it now seems that it will be at the beginning of the season and the end of the transfer window which would be the worst time to change manager.

So give them our full support and see what its like at the end of the year.
  • Options
    mind you he hasnt done much wrong over the last few months as we havent played a competitive game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    only because we have to it is too late to do anything else :-(
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I will judge him on results (where have I heard that before?). However, his comments on needing five new faces do not promise any change of outlook. He tried almost as many players as Pardew last term and seems to focus on the quality of whom he picks, rather than the system he plays. No signs yet that he is making us difficult to score against. A change of manager might cause uncertainty in the short term but might enable us to keep players like Moo2 and Dicko.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]I will judge him on results (where have I heard that before?). However, his comments on needing five new faces do not promise any change of outlook. He tried almost as many players as Pardew last term and seems to focus on the quality of whom he picks, rather than the system he plays. No signs yet that he is making us difficult to score against. A change of manager might cause uncertainty in the short term but might enable us to keep players like Moo2 and Dicko.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. There would be some on here criticising him if he didn't say that! We got relegated last year so it's not unreasonable to suggest we might need some better players! Have Moo2 or Dicko done anything to suggest they should actually be kept...?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]I will judge him on results (where have I heard that before). However, his comments on needing five new faces do not promise any change of outlook. He tried almost as many players as Pardew last term and seems to focus on the quality of whom he picks, rather than the system he plays. No signs yet that he is making us difficult to score against. A change of manager might cause uncertainty in the short term but might enable us to keep players like Moo2 and Dicko.

My jury's still out on Parky but:
    - anyone can see we do need 4-5 first team/squad players - what do you expect him to say? That he's happy with the squad he's got. I can imagine the vitriol if he'd made that statement
    - He seems to be fairly certain of his best team with the current crop
    - We were more difficult to score against under his tenure, we didn't win because we didn't score enough.

At this late stage I fear it would be more disruptive to change - he will need to get results early though
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]I will judge him on results (where have I heard that before?). However, his comments on needing five new faces do not promise any change of outlook. He tried almost as many players as Pardew last term and seems to focus on the quality of whom he picks, rather than the system he plays. No signs yet that he is making us difficult to score against. A change of manager might cause uncertainty in the short term but might enable us to keep players like Moo2 and Dicko.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. There would be some on here criticising him if he didn't say that! We got relegated last year so it's not unreasonable to suggest we might need some better players! Have Moo2 or Dicko done anything to suggest they should actually be kept...?

I doubt any of us were happy with the squad we finished with in the Championship, so its not surprising that he would want to have a major tunr around in the squad personnel, after all most of them are either pardew's men or bought in panick circumstances. He has not been allowed to really shake up the squad so its not surprising that he should want to bring new faces in to mould a side in his onw image.
  • Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who is beginning to be converted from the 'Parky Out' camp into actually thinking he could do well for us. He's signed some good players who have experience of league one like Richardson and Llera. If the rumours are true about Bailey signing a new contract then Parkinson must have had some influence in his decision. The only thing I'm not sure about is playing a 4-5-1. However if we do sign Wade Small and Lloyd Sam keeps his form up then it could act more as a 4-3-3. Plus i think Shelvey has always been at his best for us when Burton's been on his own up front and creating space for him. I still think we'll need other options in the squad though but Parkinson seems to have recognised this with his "4 or 5 new players" comment. Give him a go! Who else is out there who is any better? - Realistically.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]only because we have to it is too late to do anything else :-(

That's my view as well.

Sorry but talking a good game isn't going to change my view that he is useless and should never have been given the job in the first place!

The only way he will do that is by getting the team to play some decent football and win some games.
  • Options
    Get behind the Manager whoever it is. Let's not start the season rollicking Parky, it is not going to help us win matches.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]mind you he hasnt done much wrong over the last few months as we havent played a competitive game.

He could have been moaning that it's hard to sign players, the takeover/stuff going on behind the scenes is disruptive, we could have lost some of our better players etc.
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Give him a go! Who else is out there who is any better? - Realistically.

At this point in time and in our position I don't think there are many good options at all. Not ones that we know are definitely an improvement.

He seems to have a good idea of how good each player is and what their role should be in the team and over the season. A new manager would need a lot more time to settle in, get things going the way they want them to and sort out the squad (those signings we need and new contracts for Fortune and Randolph).

I know what you mean about 4-5-1, but we have 5 good midfielders that deserve to start and a lack of quality up front. No doubt in those '4 or 5 new players' are at least one striker, maybe even two.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]Sorry but talking a good game isn't going to change my view that he is useless and should never have been given the job in the first place!

He shouldn't have been given the job in the first place no, but that doesn't mean he's definitely not going to do a good job now. Completely different situation, a fresh season, he's having a pre-season and signing players for a promotion challenge, not looking for anyone willing to sign in the hope we can stay up.

He should be judged at least a few games into the season. Not now based on pre-season and not after one match against Wycombe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: RalphMilnesgut[/cite]Get behind the Manager whoever it is. Let's not start the season rollicking Parky, it is not going to help us win matches.

Parky will have my full support come the first game, but if he wants to keep it, he will have to earn it by the teams performances on the pitch, not because he gives a good after match interview!
  • Options
    Haha curb it like your quote from me : ) although less of the old i am only 21, its obvious what way i am going to go on this discussion but hey......
    I agree that Parky should stay and am firmley behind him, like alot of ppl i havent always felt this but he is doing a good job at the momment and it is far to late to put someone else in charge. most ppl will say he seems ok as we are not playing games but i feel after 10 games or so we can have a good opinion whether he is the man to take us up, i actually am optimistic and feel we will finish in the top 6 and maybe even automatic if we get a good run going. although this does depend on whether there is any late departures(fingers crossed!)
  • Options
    In the last couple of months he hasn't done much wrong because we haven't had games. As for "saying the right thing", he has said last season was "indifferent", that we need a number of new players, that there are uncertain times because of the club situation. What he hasn't said is how lucky he is to have the Charlton Athletic managers' job, that he is hopeful that our present squad of players will do well, and he will tackle all weaknesses by working hard as a coach. He hasn't said that he will watch every opposition team comprehensively before we play them, in order to tackle their weaknesses and exploit our strengths. He hasn't said that he is looking for a genuine bond between the players, the players and the management staff, and the players and the fans.

So, since we were relegated on Philip Parkinson's watch, his actions have certainly not impressed me. I agree it's too late now to do anything about putting up with him; however, if we win matches he will win me over. If we lose matches or do not average 2 points per game (ish) I would prefer the goat option.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite] if we win matches he will win me over. If we lose matches or do not average 2 points per game (ish) I would prefer the goat option.

what seth said , actions speak louder than words
  • Options
    No Takeover = Parky stays in
    Takeover = Parky Out no question
  • Options
    well i would question that ketman according to what i heard.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Takeover = Parky Out no question

With a takeover, assuming it brings a decent bit of money in, is there a clearly great manager out there that we could get and wouldn't take any time at all to settle down and get the team winning right away?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]No Takeover = Parky stays in
    Takeover = Parky Out no question

Why? What basis do you have for that statement?
  • Options
    is there clearly anyone who could do worse than parky??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]well i would question that ketman according to what i heard.

Why? What have you heard?