Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Gray to stay?

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Barnsley are getting peed off with waiting

Are they?

[cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite] Are we making the right decision here ?

Have we made a decision?
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite] I think Andy will score goals but he isn't very mobile and not getting any younger. Even if the takeover goes ahead maybe we should cash in anyway.

I agree with that.
  • Options
    If Gray stays and is fit all season he will score 20 goals next season.

There. I've said it.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Barnsley are getting peed off with waiting

Are they?

yes they are.

[cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Are we making the right decision here ?

Have we made a decision?

yes, we have decided to wait until we make a decision

[cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I think Andy will score goals but he isn't very mobile and not getting any younger. Even if the takeover goes ahead maybe we should cash in anyway.

I agree with that.

always a first for everything !!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Even if the takeover goes ahead maybe we should cash in anyway.

We won't get a lot for him, a lot of that's down to his big wages.

As I said in another thread, we saw Steve Cotterill after the match, someone asked if he thought we would we get £500k or £300k, he didn't even think we'd get that. Obviously he could be wrong, but I can't see us getting much myself and said that before.

If we sell Gray it's much more about getting him off the wage bill than getting a good fee.
  • Options
    Steve Cotterill eh, interesting.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]He played saturday and I didn't think him or Mcleod did much at all and thought Burton was more mobile when he came on and linked up well with some clever play with some of the younger players like Youga and Basey.

Agree with you with regards Gray, but it was his first game, but have to disagree about McLeod. I thought he did well on Saturday and looked a threat running at their defence and took his goal well, even though it was ruled offside. Personally, I prefer him to Dickson. Would like to see him start with Burton Saturday. As others have said, I prefer Burton to Gray!
  • Options
    There are probably not many teams Even in the Championship who can match what we are currently paying him. Not the clubs fault if no-one can afford to pay him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Gray would be worth at least 10 goals a season, just taking penalties.

Remember he takes a penalty like Mendonca.

and Izale mcleod wins penalties like an argentinian, so gray and mcleod are the perfect combination. ;0)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]There are probably not many teams Even in the Championship who can match what we are currently paying him. Not the clubs fault if no-one can afford to pay him.

Surely it is the Club's fault for sanctioning such an inflated wage that we can't offload him if we wish a la Christensen?
  • Options
    i agree len. If hardly anyone else can afford the wages, why did we think we could.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I suspect that we probably can afford him - but it's a choice between keeping him or losing two other players instead, if the rumours are true that McLeod is off to Hearts then maybe we might have the spare money, presumably that depends on a transfer fee and also whether we can off-load Fleetwood or Dickson. If Gray stays fit (and if new owners/investors come in) then it's a worthwhile gamble, but if he injures himself then we are screwed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]There are probably not many teams Even in the Championship who can match what we are currently paying him. Not the clubs fault if no-one can afford to pay him.

Surely it is the Club's fault for sanctioning such an inflated wage that we can't offload him if we wish a la Christensen?

How much does he get paid then?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]There are probably not many teams Even in the Championship who can match what we are currently paying him. Not the clubs fault if no-one can afford to pay him.[/quote]

Surely it is the Club's fault for sanctioning such an inflated wage that we can't offload him if we wish a la Christensen?[/quote]

How much does he get paid then?[/quote]

I don't know, but Frank Lampard is on £120k a week...
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/barnsley/8181354.stm
  • Options
    given how much money he is supposed to be on, it's strange or maybe interesting that the proposed takeover delays him leaving. It suggests that the takeover would allow us to keep a player who is on a lot of money, otherwise both the current and prospective owners would want rid of him and he could go. Perhaps the new owners would be able to have a considerably bigger wage bill than the current board can allow...
  • Options
    If we could anything from £500,000 upwards for Gray I'd sell him like a shot, which is something he knows nothing about !

I don't think I've ever seen him turn a player and shoot - never seen him shoot from outside the box and certainly never seen him run with the ball and take a player on.

We already have one barely mobile striker (Burton) and seeomg ha he was on a free and on low wages compared to Gray then I say let Gray go and keep Burton, Dickson and either Fleetwood or McLoed and with the money from the 2 sales pick up a decent striker who knows where the net is. Only Dickson has any threat with the ball at his feet and then its 50/50 if he will make it in this league.

I have seen two pre-season friendlies and Dickson was far and away the biggest threat - Burton looked lively against Ipswich, but penalties aside, didn't have a shot at goal. If we go into the new season with the current strikeforce I can't see any of them getting more than 10 goals this season, let alone the 20-odd we need to get anywhere near the top 6.
  • Options
    I was talking to a fella before the game on Saturday, who said Dickson was telling everybody after the Tuesday game against Ipswich, that it was his last appearance in a Charlton shirt. He wasn't there Saturday, make of that what you will!
  • Options
    I d be tempted get rid of him so I dont have to hear a load of whinging minnies shouting at him the whole match long.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]I was talking to a fella before the game on Saturday, who said Dickson was telling everybody after the Tuesday game against Ipswich, that it was his last appearance in a Charlton shirt. He wasn't there Saturday, make of that what you will!
    Maybe he was too lazy to get out of bed. Be3cause he has been a lazy sod every time i've seen him play.
  • Options
    I haven't seen anything that would make me unhappy about us getting £50k for Dickson
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]I haven't seen anything that would make me unhappy about us getting £50k for Dickson

agreed.
  • Options
    Len Glover Posted

Ketman Replies

Well to be fair we signed him to boost our Bid to return to the Premier league when we were handily placed going into the second half of the season, he was the top scorer in the division & we wanted to make a statement to the rest of the league. Obviously a lot went wrong from that point, but had we got promoted it would have been a small price to pay.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Len Glover Posted

Ketman Replies

Well to be fair we signed him to boost our Bid to return to the Premier league when we were handily placed going into the second half of the season, he was the top scorer in the division & we wanted to make a statement to the rest of the league. Obviously a lot went wrong from that point, but had we got promoted it would have been a small price to pay.

A better statement would have been to not sell our best, and only truly creative, player.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]I haven't seen anything that would make me unhappy about us getting £50k for Dickson

agreed.

Disagreed!

Dickson's loan spell at gillingham and cameos with us show potential at least. Is it really worth selling him to a rival in our league just for £50,000?

what can you actually buy for 50k? Millwall signed a striker from stevenage for 130k this season and colchester a similar fee for someone from hamilton who i also hadn't heard of.
    league one transfers

I think even gillingham know the offer is low.
  • Options
    If the bid or enquiry from Gillingham was the reported derisory 50k then perhaps it was in part at least a bit of mischief making ?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]If the bid or enquiry from Gillingham was the reported derisory 50k then perhaps it was in part at least a bit of mischief making ?[/quote]

We should humourously go back with the suggestion of a swap deal for their best player (whoever that may be)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]If the bid or enquiry from Gillingham was the reported derisory 50k then perhaps it was in part at least a bit of mischief making ?

We should humourously go back with the suggestion of a swap deal for their best player (whoever that may be)

That could take some working out
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Len Glover Posted

Ketman Replies

Surely it'd have been a lot smarter to have kept Reid, at that time?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]If the bid or enquiry from Gillingham was the reported derisory 50k then perhaps it was in part at least a bit of mischief making ?[/quote]

We should humourously go back with the suggestion of a swap deal for their best player (whoever that may be)[/quote]

Probably Simeon Jackson.
  • Options
    Simeon Jackson is a player we have been scouting... But they aint interested in offloading him