Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Gray to stay?

124»

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2009
    Is he any better than McLeod or Dickson? I can't imagine he's significantly better.
  • Options
    I can imagine him being maybe more our level than theres....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Len Glover Posted

Surely it is the Club's fault for sanctioning such an inflated wage that we can't offload him if we wish a la Christensen?

Ketman Replies

Well to be fair we signed him to boost our Bid to return to the Premier league when we were handily placed going into the second half of the season, he was the top scorer in the division & we wanted to make a statement to the rest of the league. Obviously a lot went wrong from that point, but had we got promoted it would have been a small price to pay.

A better statement would have been to not sell our best, and only truly creative, player.

But the manager didnt want him....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Is he any better than McLeod or Dickson? I can't imagine he's significantly better.

Yeah he's pretty good, I'm sure Leicester had a bid of about £1m rejected at the start of the summer so don't think we'll be able to afford him !! Maybe they'll take a swap deal for Dickson, Fleetwood, Gray and Christansen.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU16[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Len Glover Posted

Surely it is the Club's fault for sanctioning such an inflated wage that we can't offload him if we wish a la Christensen?

Ketman Replies

Well to be fair we signed him to boost our Bid to return to the Premier league when we were handily placed going into the second half of the season, he was the top scorer in the division & we wanted to make a statement to the rest of the league. Obviously a lot went wrong from that point, but had we got promoted it would have been a small price to pay.

A better statement would have been to not sell our best, and only truly creative, player.

But the manager didnt want him....

Not what he said at the time.
  • Options
    Reid was going whether we liked it or not, his boyhood idol (Keane) was prepared to pay him an awful lot more than he was on at us and once his head had been turned the fat little get was off.
  • Options
    Barnsley fans had an open meeting with their chairman tonight and he said a deal for Gray had been agreed with all parties but the takeover had to be completed before it can be finalised.
  • Options
    can see them getting peed off and it being off. I mean, how can you run a Club to others agenda/timetable. Or the takeover is that close they are prepared to wait a few more days.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]can see them getting peed off and it being off. I mean, how can you run a Club to others agenda/timetable. Or the takeover is that close they are prepared to wait a few more days.

They must be reasonably assured that the deal will go through before the window closes or they'd surely be looking at other options.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    unusual for a Manager and Chairman of a Club to tell an assembled Supporters meeting that the deal was done with medical passed, fee agreed, wages agreed and it was being held up by takeover talks at our end if it wan't true. Can't see them hanging on unless the takeover deal is nearly done.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]unusual for a Manager and Chairman of a Club to tell an assembled Supporters meeting that the deal was done with medical passed, fee agreed, wages agreed and it was being held up by takeover talks at our end if it wan't true. Can't see them hanging on unless the takeover deal is nearly done.

It isnt true. Gray is holding out for a pay off.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Reid was going whether we liked it or not, his boyhood idol (Keane) was prepared to pay him an awful lot more than he was on at us and once his head had been turned the fat little get was off.

Again, not what I heard - Reid was apparently very happy with his lot in SE7 and wasn't pushing to leave, but the board were keen to sell.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]unusual for a Manager and Chairman of a Club to tell an assembled Supporters meeting that the deal was done with medical passed, fee agreed, wages agreed and it was being held up by takeover talks at our end if it wan't true. Can't see them hanging on unless the takeover deal is nearly done.

It isnt true. Gray is holding out for a pay off.

which, if he hasn't asked for a transfer, is normal these days isn't it ?
  • Options
    Maybe he has asked for one. Either way it isnt true that any takeover talks are holding up the deal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Maybe he has asked for one. Either way it isnt true that any takeover talks are holding up the deal.

No, the Barnsley fans say it is the takeover so it must be true ; - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Maybe he has asked for one. Either way it isnt true that any takeover talks are holding up the deal.

No, the Barnsley fans say it is the takeover so it must be true ; - )

Although maybe fans I wouldn't say that the Chairman and Manager are just any old Barnsley fans.

if he had asked for one, a transfer, then he wouldn't be holding out for a payout that he wouldn't be entitled to, would he.
  • Options
    Howeever hard you try it still isnt any takeover holding it up.

But in answer to your questions the payment for asking or not asking for a transfer has long disappeared. Most players want 'loyalty' payments or wage differentials made up before they agree to a move especially when they know the club need the money. Not right but thats how it is.
  • Options
    If Andy Gray is holding out to get more cash from the club after they stood by him in recent months then he really is a shitbag. But fortunately, its only a rumour and I hope it is just that and has no truth in it at all...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]But in answer to your questions the payment for asking or not asking for a transfer has long disappeared. Most players want 'loyalty' payments or wage differentials made up before they agree to a move especially when they know the club need the money. Not right but thats how it is.

I mentioned in the Bournemouth match thread we spoke to Steve Cotterill (ex Burnley manager, not managing anyone at the moment) after the match, he said something similar. Because of Gray's big wages things have to be sorted out. Can't remember exactly what he said but it means it could take time.