Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Initial Supporters' Trust Meeting

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Andy Peaked[/cite]Also, just did a google-search and found this site - www.caist.org.uk/ - does anyone know what happened with this attempt four years ago?

Interesting, I wasn't aware of this, presumably someone on here might know?
  • [cite]Posted By: Rock Spectacle[/cite]Indeed Henry, it certainly was a good take and thanks to everyone who spent a few quid! In all seriousness, I thought it was a terrifically constructive meeting and as I rambled in my impassioned fashion last night, for a very long time I have wanted a bit of an almost utopian coming together of fans to form a body with a modicum of credibility as opposed to the various ego-massaging elements in some cases that we currently have - having been on both sides of this I feel quite qualified to talk about this! If this can be a model that we can use as a starting point then I'm all for it and hopefully many others are - if everyone at last night's meeting can just bring a mate to the next one (Target 100:)) then we are getting there.
    Right, I'm off to the bank...

In reference to the ego massaging elements......Id like to be enlightened Ian...do tell us who they are?
  • edited August 2009
    I think Ian's point isn;t specifically aimed, but that it is important going forward that it isn't / or perceived to be a vehicle driven by an individual, or people with self interest. Particularly those that carry baggage of involvement with previous positions, supporters club groups etc.
  • As regards objectives, as I understand it, we will be provided with a list by James at Supporters Direct as a starter.

Amongst many other things, personally, I think we should aim high and include 3-way communication as an aim, that is, fan representation at Board meetings and representation from the playing side of the club at ST meetings. Not I might add to discuss player selection or such like but to get communication with the playing side going both ways so that they can understand us and we them. Who knows, if we can build relationships, maybe we can create some loyalty?
    This could be from the playing/coaching management or a designated player/s to attend ST - or both!

Positioned as we are now I think this is the ideal time to start this.

I don't know whether this aim/objective is included in the Supporters Direct list but if we could work towards this, it would set a benchmark I would be proud to be part of.

As regards last night, thanks to everyone who put so much into organising it - much appreciated and I am looking forward to this!
  • Really Dan?
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I think Ian's point isn;t specifically aimed, but that it is important going forward that it isn't / or perceived to be a vehicle driven by an individual. Particularly those that carry baggage of involvement with previous positions, supporters club groups etc.

So that would preclude Ben, Sacha Ian and any of the Forum members past or present and supporters club representatives then? or am I way off mark?
  • For those asking about caist.org.uk, the website was set up by Glynne Jones who runs the e-mail list, so he'd presumably be the best person to ask about how far things progressed.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I think Ian's point isn;t specifically aimed, but that it is important going forward that it isn't / or perceived to be a vehicle driven by an individual, or people with self interest. Particularly those that carry baggage of involvement with previous positions, supporters club groups etc.
    I'd REALLY upset if Ian's points weren't aimed at me :)

James Mathie has sent me an example that Cardiff of what Cardiff used as a leaflet to get their trust off the ground. It looks very professional, full colour and trust logo. I can't get colour printed in bulk so our design for the inital burst will be B & W.

I think the www.caist.org.uk website above was something to do with the mailing list manager, Glynn Jones.
  • [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Really Dan?
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I think Ian's point isn;t specifically aimed, but that it is important going forward that it isn't / or perceived to be a vehicle driven by an individual. Particularly those that carry baggage of involvement with previous positions, supporters club groups etc.

So that would preclude Ben, Sacha Ian and any of the Forum members past or present and supporters club representatives then? or am I way off mark?

No, i was generalising too much. The bottom line i think is the ensuring that people who are getting involved are doing so for the right reasons.

As for Ben, he has already stated on about 5 occassions that he is not getting involved.
  • m_2m_2
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Really Dan?

I really don't think it is productive to get into naming names etc. Unity is what we need right now.

We all can see what has been going on and personally I have cringed at some of the very poor communication styles.
    They leave the originators open to all sorts of cynical comments and views and basically we just need to get more professional in how we communicate to our fellow supporters. This is too important to do it badly.

But that is/was them doing their best so lets move on.

Nuff said?
  • I wouldn't anyway at the moment, the same reasons I had to leave the forum apply now as they did two months ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Fair point NLA was just thinking that it may capture a large % of our supporters who may not use any other Charlton website. If it was written by someone with no official ties to the club and impartial it could still be independent?

In my mind and it is normally a drunken one the best way for us as fans to react and respond in the right way is to contact fans at games through the old medium of leafleting and word of mouth.

just my opinion i dont think that if i was unaware of the situation currently and the Indepenat stance that needs to be achieved i would feel that something on the OS would be independant
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]The OS should be a no go we need to remain independent

Yeah, I'm in two minds over this (I think I sat near you NLA!). ?

fat bloke in black didnt say anything until the end
  • edited August 2009
    Wrong thread!
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

No, i was generalising too much. The bottom line i think is the ensuring that people who are getting involved are doing so for the right reasons.

As for Ben, he has already stated on about 5 occassions that he is not getting involved.

Dan, Good to get some clarification mate...thats all I asked.

Martin...when quoting hit the BBCode button, then it doesnt come out all messy mate.

No idea who the "is/was them" are myself....seems like a lot of back handed comments to me.....always better to be clear rather than be deemed to be back stabbing eh?
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Do numbers on shirts actually mean anything now a days, even in Friendlies where 1-11 is worn, Semedo was wearing 3 playing in central midfield

Fans' Forum! Can't even post in the right thread : - )
  • I'm with NLA on this.

Nothing against the OS and happy for them to run news but the Trust needs to stand on it's own two feet and be seen to be doing things independently of the club.

We don't have to have every meeting at the Valley or ask them for permission. Work with the club and use their databases by all means when the Trust are established but for now, as the fat bloke in black said "back to basics" and direct contact.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

Six now
  • AFKA could not have put it better - my point was entirely that people are involved for the right reasons, i.e. the safety and progress of our football club and not a means of getting on TV, having your photo taken with a footballer, gaining brownie points at work, thinking that if you do a good job at Charlton you may end up at Man Utd etc. Certainly no names or anything, just a generic point based on a fair old bit of experience, not just at Charlton but at quite a few other clubs as well.
  • [cite]Posted By: as the fat bloke in black said "back to basics" and direct contact.

Like it Henners Like it
  • edited August 2009
    Posted By: blackheathaddick[/cite]I think, and it was a point that was raised by AFKA last night, the most important thing we need to establish between now and the next meeting it exactly what our objectives are. I think these need to be clear and succinct. Just a plan of action to bring the fans together whilst being important is not an objective in itself as it wouldnt have any structure.

Having listened last night, for me personally, I think we need to be aiming towards a couple of things. They will seem a long way off but I think they should be the long term objectives.

1) Take ownership through share holding of over 10% of shares meaning that the trust could not be forced to sell their shares at any point. **edit** and therefore seats on the board.

2) Secure the future of The Valley should that be through purchasing the pitch area or another means

Other shorter term aims and objectives will be to unite the fans and to attempt to bring the trust up to a level that is truely representative of the fanbase and I think to achieve that we will need 2000+ members.

This is just my opinion of course but over the next 6 weeks or so until the next meeting I think defining the objectives should be the main subject of discussion so we at least have a clear view of that going into the next meeting.' END OF QUOTE

For this one, I don't care if I have differences with individual other Charlton Supporters, I don't mind who i get into bed with!
    Providing the ST objectives are to always have (a) Charlton Athletic playing football at the Valley, then i am more than happy to put my modest shareholding at the disposal of the ST, and I am also prepared to buy a section of the Valley pitch if that is the first step towards the ST owning the Valley.

On the point of who one gets into bed with, by all means encourage the OS to publicise ST activities (with the rider that the ST is independent of the Club), but at all times the ST should be independent and seperate of the parent club until such time as it takes it over!
    Well done to all those involved with the start made.
  • m_2m_2
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

Dan, Good to get some clarification mate...thats all I asked.

Martin...when quoting hit the BBCode button, then it doesnt come out all messy mate.

No idea who the "is/was them" are myself....seems like a lot of back handed comments to me.....always better to be clear rather than be deemed to be back stabbing eh?

Blimey.
  • Sponsored links:

• Now that we've had the meeting , mightn't it be a good idea to remove the ***TONIGHT*** bit from this thread?
  • [cite]Posted By: Rock Spectacle[/cite]AFKA could not have put it better - my point was entirely that people are involved for the right reasons, i.e. the safety and progress of our football club and not a means of getting on TV, having your photo taken with a footballer, gaining brownie points at work, thinking that if you do a good job at Charlton you may end up at Man Utd etc. Certainly no names or anything, just a generic point based on a fair old bit of experience, not just at Charlton but at quite a few other clubs as well.

I always knew Ralph Milne was in it for himself......
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

Six now

You're beginning to sound like Jim Hacker, when he was asked if he had any ambitions to become Prime Minister.

:-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Rock Spectacle[/cite]AFKA could not have put it better - my point was entirely that people are involved for the right reasons, i.e. the safety and progress of our football club and not a means of getting on TV, having your photo taken with a footballer, gaining brownie points at work, thinking that if you do a good job at Charlton you may end up at Man Utd etc. Certainly no names or anything, just a generic point based on a fair old bit of experience, not just at Charlton but at quite a few other clubs as well.

Im really none the wiser mate, but nevermind. You are obviously pointing this at someone, but I've no idea who.....I guess it doesnt matter.
  • I have just collected 10,000 sheets of A4 paper suitable for printing leaflets/Handouts that sort of thing.
    Anyone think of anything it could be used for?
    Free to a good cause ;)
  • Phew....that means I'm safe to proceed, Rocky !
  • just a reminder i've created a master contact list so if you want your name added to that please whisper me your email address. thanks
  • Derek Woolley/alex Wright volunteered to lead on the Flyer. He has a flyer from Cardiff City as a model but if you contact him via a whisper.

Best to stick to handing out leaflets outside the ground in pubs, clubs and near the station and if possible pick up any that are thrown away so as not to annoy the residents.

Permission would be needed to do so inside the ground or immediately outside it.

Anyone who travels on Valley Express would be great if you could help
  • Sounds like last night's meeting was productive and promising...
  • edited August 2009
    Henry IrvingCommentTime6 minutes ago quote# 119
    Derek Woolley/alex Wright volunteered to lead on the Flyer. He has a flyer from Cardiff City as a model but if you contact him via a whisper.

Best to stick to handing out leaflets outside the ground in pubs, clubs and near the station and if possible pick up any that are thrown away so as not to annoy the residents.

Permission would be needed to do so inside the ground or immediately outside it.

Anyone who travels on Valley Express would be great if you could help

T.C.ECommentTime29 minutes ago edit quote# 116
    I have just collected 10,000 sheets of A4 paper suitable for printing leaflets/Handouts that sort of thing.
    Anyone think of anything it could be used for?
    Free to a good cause ;)