Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Poker - anything poker related

hey thought i would set up a discussion for any poker related stories, whether any wants advice on how they have played a hand? looking how to get into poker, any tips thought would be useful and anything poker related really.....

I personally have been playing for few hours, play home games monthly and regularly on the internet. i would say im above average player and my returns have confirmed that, havent won anything big my best result was £900 2nd place out of 600+ cant remember exactly around a year ago in sky poker tournement

As you may have gathered i do play mostly on sky poker, under the name of Young_Gun you are all welcome to come watch sometime if im playing or type me up on sharkscope to see how im doing, have played other sites but seem to get on more sky poker just wish was bit bigger sometimes and mroe ppl joined

I went through phase ages ago wen was around £1600 in space of couple months but then put £1k in bank, got knows wat i spent it on lol and spunked the £600 on a bad run. so gave up for few months and just trying to build my bank roll again really

I would recommend any new to poker first play as much free as you can and until you full understand the game & rules, although free is not a good indication how ppl play for money but gets u used to the game etc

So anyways on that note please feel free to leave any comments, queries or anything

Comments

• I used to play online a bit, but when I got to uni I inevitably spent my bankroll. Grinding at lower limits doesn't really appeal as a good way to be spending my time.
  • haha thats a fair comment, wen your winning can easily become enjoyable as i found. thats why dont play as much anymore dont win as much or if i do is at small stakes which do not mean as much, i find now and again i will take £20 out not often though as like yourself i would rather go out, but usually lasts a while and can either build up or say £20 will last few months which isnt that bad tbh

Wat site did you used to play? how did you find the site you played, enjoyed, wat format was like etc, i like to know if one i havent played :-)
  • I've tried most of them but mainly played shorthand tables at bet365. It was alright, more for your 10-tabling speed-poker players than someone who's happy to let other players go into the tank. They used to have some decent freerolls and tournaments on there, not sure if they still do. Player standard was quite good, better than partypoker, which some people would prefer but not me personally. I can't read a bloke's hand if he has no idea what he's doing.

I was never much more than a break-even player who used to pick up a few streaks. Unfortunately I gave it up before I could improve into the profit-player category.
  • A mate of mine is good mates with James Akenhead who last month got through to the final table in this years World Series of Poker. The final 9 go back in November to play the final table. I think the winner can win something like 8m dollars.
    At last years WSOP he won just over 500k dollars so he's not doing too bad!
  • I'm decent. About 900 quid up on the year which - considering I hardly ever play online now and only play with mates or (very occasionally) the gutshot or the victoria. Only ever play NLH, and find that the low-limit tables online are ridiculous - I haven't got the patience to eke it out amid the ridiculous college-boy bad beats, and don't have a grand to spare to bankroll myself on the $50 sngs or the higher ring games. I'm a reasonable online multi-table tournament player (have won a couple of 180 player sngs) and cashed a couple of times in the regular Saturday night games on PS. Trying to get a card school going at work but nobody here plays it
  • gutshot is the international now, well for the last 9 months anyway.
  • Been playing regularly online now for about a year. I started off as a total fish, leaking money left right and centre, but to be fair I only ever play within my means.

I then stopped playing online for a few months and read loads of structure and 'poker maths' books to try and work out how I should start playing for profit. I signed up for Full-Tilt recently and over the last month I've been grinding the low/medium stakes and building my bankroll, very slowly but very positively as I'm playing in a way that I wasn't before.

I used to play on PKR, but that site is such a head-f**k! I mainly play Limit Hold 'em as I find the structure suits the way I'm playing at the moment, but I plan to move back to some NLH games soon enough.

I've been wanting to play live around London, cash games, but don't know the best places to go? Any recommendations? I thought the Gutshot had closed down?

So who's the player you most admire in the Pro game? Mine's either Neil Channing or John Juanda.
  • [cite]Posted By: P_Air[/cite]I thought the Gutshot had closed down?

that's right,turns out it was last september that it went.(where has that year gone?) they moved to east road near old street and it's now the international club.

i play on pokerstars and party poker just playing low limit and occasionally nl. ps let's you organise your own private tourneys which i used to do once upon a time, maybe we could have our own little charltonlife online tourney?

haven't played any tourneys for a while, just don't get the time but i have had a few decent wins. one of the most annoying thigs i found playing is when it's a limit one,you make your first raise and it's made no difference at all.i mean what is the point of them? just a crap shoot.
  • I'm a total fish ;)

Would love a charlton tourney
  • Dangerous stuff. Don't know how you guys can dip into things like this and not get hooked and seriously in debt.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd be in for a tourney
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Dangerous stuff. Don't know how you guys can dip into things like this and not get hooked and seriously in debt.
    you win :)
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]A mate of mine is good mates with James Akenhead who last month got through to the final table in this years World Series of Poker. The final 9 go back in November to play the final table. I think the winner can win something like 8m dollars.
    At last years WSOP he won just over 500k dollars so he's not doing too bad!

Yeah i get the odd poker mag and got one the other week and apparentally he has done well at this years WSOP and is into the final nine which is probably good for british poker in general but has a huge task as has the least, im sort of hoping ivey wins though as he is such a legend in most forms of the game and think it would be fitting if he won it, although that sed if James A won i would be well happy as brit winner

Wud love to do it one time the main event but the £10k seems a long way away....... one day im sure!
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]I'm decent. About 900 quid up on the year which - considering I hardly ever play online now and only play with mates or (very occasionally) the gutshot or the victoria. Only ever play NLH, and find that the low-limit tables online are ridiculous - I haven't got the patience to eke it out amid the ridiculous college-boy bad beats, and don't have a grand to spare to bankroll myself on the $50 sngs or the higher ring games. I'm a reasonable online multi-table tournament player (have won a couple of 180 player sngs) and cashed a couple of times in the regular Saturday night games on PS. Trying to get a card school going at work but nobody here plays it

Yeah thats a good idea, or at least get a home game going through this site? im sure we can get few ppll into it maybe even get AFKA along even if just wants to be a dealer and watch us gamble our houses away lol

Nah wouldnt be silly money either jus sumthing like a £20 tourney and depending on ppl would be easy to arrange prices/places etc and can do a smaller one also £10 im guessing be hard to do though as would prob need some sort of group link, could be this that ppl say wen they free and where to hold it etc

we will see, coming somewhere near you soon!
  • [cite]Posted By: P_Air[/cite]Been playing regularly online now for about a year. I started off as a total fish, leaking money left right and centre, but to be fair I only ever play within my means.

I then stopped playing online for a few months and read loads of structure and 'poker maths' books to try and work out how I should start playing for profit. I signed up for Full-Tilt recently and over the last month I've been grinding the low/medium stakes and building my bankroll, very slowly but very positively as I'm playing in a way that I wasn't before.

I used to play on PKR, but that site is such a head-f**k! I mainly play Limit Hold 'em as I find the structure suits the way I'm playing at the moment, but I plan to move back to some NLH games soon enough.

I've been wanting to play live around London, cash games, but don't know the best places to go? Any recommendations? I thought the Gutshot had closed down?

So who's the player you most admire in the Pro game? Mine's either Neil Channing or John Juanda.

I actually never really been on losing front overall as i had around 6months maybe more experiance in live games first and then played online on sky for free for a further couple non-stop just to get used to it, also have joined pkr but also am not a fan of it its a bit OTT for me but i know couple who do like it and if someone plays enough on it can have your regular home games on there or set up private tournament with pals which would be good if we did have a cafc life tourney, but i am nowhere near as i primary play sky due to user friendly and prefer 6 handed tables NLH thats why havent quite tried american sites as much, have a pokerstars & full tilt account just to test out but not really got into it, prob still have money in it but u never know?

I do like helmuth as he talks the talk but through out and out skill would be phil ivey as he is a bit of a legend and just like his style also, neil channing and john juanda are good players and the top uk players, although i think some other guy is above them now but i dont mind them

On hate, i hat Mike the mouth mastow, think tom dwan a new wizkid is a interesting player and like several more just enjoy watching it and playing(when im winning)
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Dangerous stuff. Don't know how you guys can dip into things like this and not get hooked and seriously in debt.[/quote]

It would be if poker was purely gambling but it's not. It's a skill game and with the right application and bankroll managment it's easy to be a winning player, although the average player looses to the rake in the long run.

Tony G is a legend purely for this alone
  • edited August 2009
    ever seen 5 pockets dealt at the same time?

unbelievable
  • If you want a poker club in London there look no further....

http://www.loosecannonec4.co.uk/

It s very close friend of the family that owns this. Good for card games and the grub aint bad either, plus all sports are showed there.

Played a tourny one night with Matthew Stevens (snooker player), Pepe from Eastenders and Alex Best at my table.....I lost though..
  • so? anyone up for organising something?
  • edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]gutshot is the international now, well for the last 9 months anyway.
    LOL - told you it was occasional :)

Last time I was there I saw one of the Chemical Brothers and Ross Boatman. Boatman was a beast - he cleaned up in a cash game. I walked out with f***-all.;

Anyone ever played at the Western? Supposed to be pretty big, and a lot of torunament play there apparently
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Charlton Till I Cry[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Dangerous stuff. Don't know how you guys can dip into things like this and not get hooked and seriously in debt.

It would be if poker was purely gambling but it's not. It's a skill game and with the right application and bankroll managment it's easy to be a winning player, although the average player looses to the rake in the long run.

Tony G is a legend purely for thisalone[url][/url]
    Tony G is a mouthy fat prick. He's a great player - but just because you're a great player doesn't mean you have to be a turd. Johnny Chan is arguably the greatest, if not in the top five players who ever lived. You don't see him acting like a prick when he makes a great call or gets bad beat. Same reason that, no matter how good Hellmuth is (for the record, I put him up there with Chan and Unger), I've still got no love for him. Running his mouth every time he gets bad beat is the mark of a selfish, spoiled child.
  • I play at quite a high semi pro level in Midlands, make a decent living out of the game but it's getting harder and harder as the years go by.
  • Tony G is a mouthy fat prick. He's a great player - but just because you're a great player doesn't mean you have to be a turd. Johnny Chan is arguably the greatest, if not in the top five players who ever lived. You don't see him acting like a prick when he makes a great call or gets bad beat. Same reason that, no matter how good Hellmuth is (for the record, I put him up there with Chan and Unger), I've still got no love for him. Running his mouth every time he gets bad beat is the mark of a selfish, spoiled child.[/quote]
    Its entertaining though. Given the choice I'd rather watch the fat selfish spoiled children play. As you said they're both great players so your getting the best of both worlds, decent poker and a laugh. Watch Johnny Chan play and you wont get anything out of him, he wont give the table anything because he literaly is that good, but I think that there has always been room for some flair, petulance and downright rudness at the poker table, it's in the nature of the game. You cant tell me when Hellmuth blows up you dont at least chuckle
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: CH4RLTON[/cite]I play at quite a high semi pro level in Midlands, make a decent living out of the game but it's getting harder and harder as the years go by.[/quote]
    Impressive, how long have you been going?
  • I am just about to sell some poker DVD's and books on ebay as I have had my use from them, if anybody is interested send me a whisper and I will let you know what I have, would rather sell em to a lifer and if you are local I could drop them off and save on P&P.
  • WSSWSS
    edited November 2009
    Ah - knew I saw a thread about it, and i got the Duck Killer's link right! Anyone played this bounty style before?:

Each player will pay £10 to enter the tournament, you will recieve 2500 and a bounty chip. There is no prizepool as such, the more people that you knock out the more money that you win. You only have to knock one player out to get your stake back. After that you will win £10 for every player that you knock out.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

Each player will pay £10 to enter the tournament, you will recieve 2500 and a bounty chip. There is no prizepool as such, the more people that you knock out the more money that you win. You only have to knock one player out to get your stake back. After that you will win £10 for every player that you knock out.

not played this format not sure which way it goes i reckon some people will play really tight not wanting to get knocked out waiting for the nuts ..... but the more aggressive player will pick up more chips and try and dominate the smaller chip stacks
  • alright, yes ive played a couple but personally am not a fan. It is a good tournament and does encourage ppl to play more aggressive, which could suit those who are and/also those that sit back as they can wait for there monsta hand and more likely to get paid

Advise from pros is that you should play them as if they are a normal tournament and go to finish as high as possible and any bounties you pick up along the way are a bonus. hope that helps mate, u on skypoker then wss? saying that think i may have seen you....
  • Most bounty tournaments I have played put 50% into prize fund, and the other 50% as bounty on your head.

Realistically the way you play should depend on the blind structure, ie if its quick blinds you won't be able to stay tight for long, the bounty tournaments do generally tend to favour the aggresive players, and the bad beats can be legendary.
  • there's a lot of chat but we ought to have our very own online tourney.