Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

charlton and leeds, at 1st and 2nd with maximum points

Comments

• Options
    Yea and to have the worry of if we fin first or second is much better than the worries of the last few seasons would be nice to win a trophy though.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]yep how can we moan , all charlton fans should be happy with our lot , this is an amazing league, even though it's only the 15th season we've spent in the 3rd tier in our 82 years of league football , we also have the chance to enter a painting trophy competition and play millwall for the first time in 13 years and palace are looking down on us from a league above....
    life would be easier if we went to the fourth division then we could win every game and we can't moan about that cos that would be really exciting (for some)...
    yes it is great that we're winning but ffs it aint that great ... still each to their own but i know in 25 years time i wont be talking about our amazing win against orient with 3k of fans there

You sound like a premiership plastic to me. I probably won't be talking about an 'amazing win' against Orient in 25 years but I'll still remember I had a bloody good time that night. And that's why I go. To have a good time and see Charlton. Couldn't really give much of a toss who we're playing to be honest. But I think I'm certainly going to enjoy this season more than I did any of our seasons in the premiership.

If you're that disappointed we're not there any more, ooaah, I'm sure Torres and Lampard have fansites. Oh, and youtube videos! ;)
  • Options
    LOL Chunes.

Maybe it's not for me to comment, but all of your posts ooaah really make my blood boil.

In another context, Tel captures my feelings on this above... "its how we bounce back that will give us an indication of how strong we are as a unit." I think that's also true of the club as a whole and the situation we find ourselves in. It's how we cope with relegation and upheaval that proves our mettle. Tells us and others watching what we're made of. You haven't seemed to cope very well at all!
  • Options
    As i say each to their own ...
    some may be happy to watch us sloshing around in the lower leagues and yes a big part of the day is the banter with your mates but i did 15 years of day trips/weekenders watching us and in recent years family committments etc mean i wont spend as much time enjoying the banter with friends and i'm a bit more interested in the football
    but in every year i've watched charlton i've always wanted and dreamt of us playing with the big guns
    maybe my aspirations for charlton are too high but i can't stop pining for the glory years that lennie and curbs provided for us and if third tier footy tickles your fancy that's up to you but i know where i want us to be playing...
    i've seen charlton play at 60-70 grounds and i know where the hairs on the back of my neck stood up and it wasn't at brisbane road, mark stuart you made my boyhood dreams come true, if that makes me a premiership plastic so be it ....
    sorry you feel that way lookout, i'm never gonna enjoy times when my team are laughed at by many , does it make me less of a fan i doubt it
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]sorry you feel that way lookout, i'm never gonna enjoy times when my team are laughed at by many , does it make me less of a fan i doubt it

Winning some games at L1 is a) less embarassing to me than losing the lot in Championship, and b) much less embarassing than our last season in the premiership, I get more pride of a well fought 1-0 home victory to Yeovil, lets say, than a bore draw at home to Blackburn.. of course the seasons before that in the prem were better for us, but hey-ho.. the cream will always rise to the top, if we get back there we'll have topped up our cabinet, give the cleaning guy some more work.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]What's the problem?

Two teams will get automatic promotion, does it matter that Leeds are doing as well as we are? If both teams keep this form up the problem will be for the rest of the division to figure out and which of them will get promoted via the play-offs. Our worry will be whether we finish first or second.

Agreed, I for one would take 2nd place quite happily, for me, failure to reach at least the play off spots would be a bad season, even before our great start.
  • Options
    can see both sides of the coins here. Agree with 'ooh are' that I want to be seeing us playing the bigboys in the PL and my aspirations for Charlton don't lie in League 1 but it was very enjoyable at The O's and Hartlepool last week and made a nice change from visiting the likes of Old Trafford and Anfield where we invaraibly got beat, were charged 30 odd quid for the priviledge and never really enjoyed it. League 1 for a season will be okay but the quality of football is such that more than a season and I'll start not enjoying it. At the end of the day I want Charlton to be playing against the best teams, trying to beat them and competing in the highest league possible.
  • Options
    You sound like a premiership plastic to me. I probably won't be talking about an 'amazing win' against Orient in 25 years but I'll still remember I had a bloody good time that night. And that's why I go. To have a good time and see Charlton. Couldn't really give much of a toss who we're playing to be honest. But I think I'm certainly going to enjoy this season more than I did any of our seasons in the premiership.

If you're that disappointed we're not there any more, ooaah, I'm sure Torres and Lampard have fansites. Oh, and youtube videos! ;)

Agree 100% with this we go to watch charlton the others dont matter i also thourglly agree with the comment about enjoying this season more than when we were in the prem as now you dont get told to sit down and stop swaring everytime we go away.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Oooaaah, from my recollection, a lot of the time we didn't even get the opportunity to play football in the premiership. Most of the time, it was all about stopping the other team from playing football.

So yes, it does make you a premiership plastic, because you're not really interested in seeing Charlton in the lower leagues, even if it does mean we'll be the ones playing the football.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]As i say each to their own ...

But it's not... every single chance you get to post you insert the same inane drivel, no matter the topic. That takes your posts away from your being a reflection of your honest opinion and into the realm of obsessive self-loathing! You may not be on a wind-up, but you've become a one-trick pony and you sure come across as a wind-up merchant.

[cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i'm never gonna enjoy times when my team are laughed at by many , does it make me less of a fan i doubt it

Again, not the point I myself am making. It's not about enjoying being laughed at (I sometimes wonder, are people really laughing... I mean, people that matter, do they laugh at us?). It's about having the mettle to turn things around when everything you do, no matter how much you put into it, no matter how good your intentions are, just seems to turn to shite.

We all dream of Charlton playing at the highest level. There's no need to be curb your aspirations. But right now, we're not playing at the highest level. The question is, how do you cope with that? How do you play a part in getting the club on the right track so that, as soon as possible, we're mixing with the elites again?

I don't think your dour, sarcastic "wit" on this message board is the way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Enjoyed the Os last week much more than Spurs and Arsenal in the last season in the Prem where I paid £40 to watch us hardly get a kick for 90 mins.

But each to their own and if that flicks Ooh Aahs switch then fair enough...
  • Options
    as long as we are 'competing' in the league we are in then that's good enough for me, must admit I'm really enjoying this season so far and looking forward to doing a few more away games.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]Enjoyed the Os last week much more than Spurs and Arsenal in the last season in the Prem where I paid £40 to watch us hardly get a kick for 90 mins.

yep once curbs left we struggled to match most teams at the highest level;-)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite] How do you play a part in getting the club on the right track so that, as soon as possible, we're mixing with the elites again?

I don't think your dour, sarcastic "wit" on this message board is the way.

i don't think being rose tinted is the way either
    all i can do is show my support at the games i go to , whether i wax lyrical about the good times or pretend everything is great when we're 5th on a message board isn't gonna make any difference whatsoever to our final league position .... positiveness in the ground always on a message board , leave it out
  • Options
    I'm hoping that this season turns out like 99/00 when after relegation the team bounced back, found a great team spirit and set up seven seasons in the Premiership. Then teams in mid table came to the Valley to defend and try to snatch a goal or a point by scoring on the break. On Saturday I saw the firsts signs that teams are going to come to the Valley and do that for the first time since then.

Walsall didn't look a bad side but so early in the season they should have been more adventurous and aimed to test us - after all two relegations in three seasons, the departure of many good players, with another leaving the evening before the match they should have been wondering if with a bit of assertiveness that they could win, not whether they could snatch a draw. That they didn't try was maybe down to them having a bad day, or possibly because they were afraid to attack and lose by a larger margin and preferred defence and counter-attack. That is how many teams played against us at the Valley in 99/00 and if mid table teams and presumably outfits lower are going to play that way at the Valley this season then we are half-way there.

Instead we are having an anally retentive debate on whether we'd enjoy the football in the Premiership or not...
  • Options
    I think we always struggled in the prem but its a matter of opinion isnt it would you rather be a big fish in a small pond or a small fish in a big pond.

Obviously i always wanna see charlton do well but being down at the level we are and our exploits last season it does show you who the true CAFC fans are.
  • Options
    Posted By: oohaahmortimer
    i'm never gonna enjoy times when my team are laughed at by many , does it make me less of a fan i doubt it

Funnily enough, you find ways of getting by.
  • Options
    Some of my fondest memories are of the 74/75 promotion winning season from Div 3.

No, we don't want to be in league 1, but this is our Charlton, this is where we are and as Curbs would say " we just gotta get on with it".
    So far, so good. Enjoy!
  • Options
    You can only live in the moment, so the Third Division is where we're at.

On the principle that you get what you focus on, then winning the match and savouring the moment with your mates is really the key to a good day out. Early days I know, but so far that's how it's unfolding.

What more can we ask for at the moment? We're in this Third Division because not only were we not good enough any longer for the Prem, but we couldn't cut it in the Championship either! Anyway, we can only play what's put in front of us, we've made a promising start and this season is all to play for.

Let's go and enjoy ourselves - if we do it right, we're only 'Just Visiting' this League and we'll be out in May.
    Could be the springboard for another successful rise.

Anyway, whatever happens, " We all follow the Charlton, over land and sea .... " - and yep that does include Hartlepool, Exeter and Yeovil. "...We all follow the Charlton, wherever they may be!"
  • Options
    I'm not sure we struggled to play football or compete or even just stop the opposition playing football when we went to Arsenal and beat them 4-2, did the double countless times over Chelsea, Spurs, West Ham etc.

When we beat Chelsea on boxing day to go 2nd in the table and we had Scott Parker, Paulo Di Canio etc, do you HONESTLY think we were not playing football and competing? We may never again achieve that - however it's what I aspire Charlton to do and be - doesn't make the enjoyment of going to The Matchroom stadium for the first time ever and sitting there with 3,000 odd Charlton fans singing their hearts out less, however for real emotion, passion, enjoyment and living the dream - as all football fans should wish to do, getting back to the Premiership is so far away, surely if it happens again, we'll be ecstatic?

Therefore, I agree with Oooh- aaaah. I'm not one to rest on laurels - and football needs to be enjoyed, however if we win this league and get promoted next, we'll have had a damn good time getting there....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Ooh Aah's posts are quite funny myself, brings a bit of perspective to our current situation. We have won Four games against well not very good opposition.

I'll wager not many fans on here remember the last time we were in Tier Three. Just so we are clear it is piss poor that we are back in this division after so long & anything other than promotion this season will be regarded as abject failure by me.

The novelty of Orient away will wear off next season for some believe me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]As i say each to their own ...

But it's not... every single chance you get to post you insert the same inane drivel, no matter the topic and you sure come across as a wind-up merchant.
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    yep once curbs left we struggled to match most teams at the highest level;-)

• Options
    OohAah - You're missing the point. Its not about whether you prefer L1, or the PL its your monotonous posts picking holes in all things CAFC that grate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]OohAah - its your monotonous posts picking holes in all things CAFC that grate.

unfortunately since i joined this site it has coincided with our miserable pathetic demise so i think there's been plenty of holes to pick unfortunately and i suppose no one likes the truth ...... and yes i may be boring or monotonous but it's only my opinion( i am usually right tho;-)
  • Options
    It seems to me, reading mood of this board recently, that this season is finally delivering what we thought was going to be the case when we dropped out of the Premiership i.e. decent, entertaining, enjoyable football where we go into every match with a better than realistic chance of winning it.

Rather than constantly bemoan the fact we are where we are at the moment just enjoy the moment folks 'cos there are going to be times when things may nto be going as well...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]OohAah - its your monotonous posts picking holes in all things CAFC that grate.

unfortunately since i joined this site it has coincided with our miserable pathetic demise so i think there's been plenty of holes to pick unfortunately and i suppose no one likes the truth ...... and yes i may be boring or monotonous but it's only my opinion( i am usually right tho;-)
    I think you're vociferous enough to assume we all know what you're opinion is OoohAaah. Just giving a rest to the endless swinging of topics around to suit your rhetoric would be appreciated from time to time.
  • Options
    Away days are the best days, Flanagan on the fence at Hull or Claus on the corner of the box at Highbury.

Those who I heard moaning on and on about going to the next level (?????) before we took the long slide to today's lowly league are always going to hanker for the Prem.
    For me going to Derby is always a great drink whatever division the game's in.
    There was a time in the Prem when we attacked teams beccause of their big name status - and beat them - Chelsea oh so many times - now we have the chance to build again an attacking exciting team that goes for the opposition. If we get back to the Prem / Euro Division 6 / Continent 1 North then I look forward to the time we go hunting for scalps again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]I think Ooh Aah's posts are quite funny myself, brings a bit of perspective to our current situation. We have won Four games against well not very good opposition.

I'll wager not many fans on here remember the last time we were in Tier Three. Just so we are clear it is piss poor that we are back in this division after so long & anything other than promotion this season will be regarded as abject failure by me.

The novelty of Orient away will wear off next season for some believe me.

exactly, it's always good to get a reality check rather than get swept away basking in the glory of beating walsall at home in the third level of football. if losing to hereford and beating hartlepool is where you want us to be,then good luck to you likewise if you want us mixing it up in the prem. to have people constantly warping threads to claim bs like we never played football is quite weird though.
  • Options
    Lots of talk about facing the reality of watching football and competing with the teams whatever division Charlton find themselves. That was the case in The Premiership as much as it is now in division one. In The Premier League we were a relatively small club punching above our weight and although it was difficult and success hard to come by we got our kicks by being what we were. In division one were are a relatively big team and we are rightly getting our kicks by (so far) doing what many clubs fans would expect us to do...winning. I got pleasure from The Premiership years and am loving this season. Given the choice though..................Premiership every every every time. Until we get back I won`t be completely satisfied. Am I a Premiership plastic ? Well I wasn`t when I started going in 1961
  • Options
    I don't hold our time in the prem as the golden age, I certainly don't remember it as fondly as the time in Division 1 with Lawrence. Maybe that's my age affecting my judgement, younger then, more excitable, older now, more cynical certainly.
    In reality the difference between top division and the rest is 6 or 7 clubs that have become permanent fixtures and the higher profile the club gets. In effect what folk are saying is that playing Arse, Man Utd, Liverpool and Spuzz is what matters more than anything else.
    Not sure where I stand on that, it was good to beat them, but became very tedious being fodder at Old Trafford. If anything the best bit about top division was being on an "equal" footing against the London clubs and being able to give plenty of verbals to people in the pub when we did well in derbies.
    All in good time, will enjoy the ride though if we spend the next two / three years winning our way back.