Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A month to go TCE! ( Demelza Run To The Beat thread)

edited August 2009 in Not Sports Related
Been out running the last few nights. Having gone from feeling relaxed because I thought it was in October, I am now having that déjà vu feeling from last year that I have not given myself enough time AGAIN! :-(
But never mind think I am coming at it from a slightly fitter starting point this time but it is going to be a pretty steep curve to get the miles built up for the race day.
How is it going with you?
How many of us are doing it this year? Hoping to get a much bigger sponsorship organised via the school I work at this time round.
Have to be honest I am looking forward to it...

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2009
    As other lifers will tell you Jon I am in tiptop condition, in fact I hope I haven't peaked to early. Lol. Tipping the scales on monday at 14st 9lbs when I decided to get my ar5e in gear and start doing something, so I donned the old plimsols and climbed aboard the crosstrainer/clothes airer and off I went. Today I weighed in at 14st 3lbs and doing 10k on the crosstrainer. I aim to hit the road (hard) sunday morning, better put a tarmac crew on standby. There may have been 3 or 4 of us running this year but I'm not to sure, I set up the "Justgiving" site sometime back I'll check it out and with admin's permission I'll put the link up here.
    http://www.justgiving.com/raybates3/
  • Options
    I managed to lose a few pounds on the lottery last night ;-)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Bumped for 3blokes and anyone else thats interested.
    Just got back from my first road run after a weeks preparation on a crosstrainer managed 7 miles, 6 running and 1 that the professional athletes on here would call a warm down while I call it a breakdown. More pleasing to Mrs TCE is that since monday I've lost 7lbs. So with 3 weeks to go to my sons wedding and 4 weeks to the run I'm aiming for 8/9 miles next sunday, 10 miles by the 20th (the morning after the wedding) :(
  • Options
    TCE I'm up to 5 miles now.
    Still tight on the old training schedule but doing ok ;-) sort of!
  • Options
    This weeks run should be intresting, with Charlton and then on to Wembley with some golf mates, its gonna be messy :(
  • Options
    I'm going to try and get one 10 mile run in before we do it.
    Should know tomorrow if the school where I work are going to get behind it properly this year. I'm hopeful they will which should raise a few bob ;-)
  • Options
    I'm off the the week after next, thats when I'll give 10 miles a go ;(
    90 quid so far :(
  • Options
    About 6 miles tonight:-)
    We are in the process of setting up a running activity with all the kids at school linked in with our run :-)
    So hopefully that should bring in a good sum of money into the appeal;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 3blokes[/cite]About 6 miles tonight:-)
    We are in the process of setting up a running activity with all the kids at school linked in with our run :-)
    So hopefully that should bring in a good sum of money into the appeal;-)

I managed 3 pints and 2 gin and tonics, not looking good :(
    Monday, before I run again.
  • Options
    Ha ha just think of it as jet fuel ;-)
    I had to run for the valley express this morning my legs really didn't want to know!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'll walk across the common to The Valley today, but thats only because I'm going straight to Wembley for the England game and be in no fit state to drive home.
  • Options
    Just got back from a run managed about 5 miles which after the weekend I've just survived was a miracle, down to 14st 1lb which is even more pleasing.
  • Options
    Went out tonight found it a struggle for the first time, you know one of those where you drag yourself round. Well done on yours mate :-)
    I'm out weds and then doing a 7 plus on Friday so will probably be hobbling slightly at the valley the following day!
    On a less painful note, we have decided to set the target for the school run thing at raising £1000 for Demelza ;-)
  • Options
    Been out again tonight, managed 5 miles and a 2 mile walk/warm down. If I can hit 7 miles on thursday and playing 27 holes of golf on friday.I have set myself a target of 10 miles on sunday running part of the planned course. Jon, my sister has given me a couple more Charltonlife running shirts if you want one?
  • Options
    Yes mate that would be good ;-) out for a run tomo night then going to try a 7 on Friday. If all goes well will do an 8 and a 9 next week and that will prob be it till the day. It sounds so easy on here doesn't it :-)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    My race number is 7626, up 4 thousand...ish places from last time out, obviously they were impressed with my turn of speed ;)

Jon yours is 10386 we both start together which is handy at start 4, which is handy we can share an ambulance ;)
  • Options
    10386 what a coincidence that's my lucky number ;-)
    Sounds good Ray so we're aiming for 2nd and 3rd eh ....from the back :-) an all time personal best for me!
  • Options
    Up to 7 and a half miles tonight :-) legs are tired but ok.
    Sterling work by my eldest boy who ran with me on no training at all! :-) don't know how he did it but he really helped his old man round the route tonight.
  • Options
    With illness preventing myself and 3blokes training other than 4 rounds of golf in 4 days up to yesterday morning, and a whispered message from Jon yesterday that he has also been unwell but had managed 5 miles. So to say we could do with some help and in encouragement is an understatement, if by chance any lifers will be attending next weeks "Run To The Beat" half marathon to support family and friends a few words of support for myself and Jon would be welcomed. We will be running in the familar Charltonlife red running shirts made famous by Curb-it, Wss, Afka, GHE and Ketman amongst others. Should any lifers wish to make any donations to Demelza you can do through our justgiving site, that also would be greatly appreciated.
    many thanks
    Ray & Jon
  • Options
    Just wanted to add my reason for running this race this time round. I know there are people on this forum who have chidren with serious illnesses and before I say a little about my experience, the one thing you always think is that it could never happen to you.
    Two years ago my wife and I lost a baby. We knew before we lost him that there was a major problem with his heart and the prognosis was uncertain but not very positive. Sadly we lost him before we even had the chance to see him alive.
    I look back now and although it was incredibly painful( and still is ) I think we were spared the overwhelming heartache of seeing a living child lose a battle to survive. What parents and their children go through in those circumstances I can only imagine.
    Had our little one survived I think we would have probably ended needing the help and care of a hospice like demelza. So this year I am going to run the race in the memory of the son we lost, I never got to know him as I would have wanted but this is just a small personal way to pay my respects to him.
    Demelza care for over 450 children with terminal illness.
    I know money is a bit tight at the moment for all of us , but if you can afford to chip in even a small amount you will be supporting something very worthwhile.
    Thanks
    Jon

(Just to end on a happier note we had a healthy boy, theo, last year he's a year old and doing great)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: 3blokes[/cite]Just wanted to add my reason for running this race this time round. I know there are people on this forum who have chidren with serious illnesses and before I say a little about my experience, the one thing you always think is that it could never happen to you.
    Two years ago my wife and I lost a baby. We knew before we lost him that there was a major problem with his heart and the prognosis was uncertain but not very positive. Sadly we lost him before we even had the chance to see him alive.
    I look back now and although it was incredibly painful( and still is ) I think we were spared the overwhelming heartache of seeing a living child lose a battle to survive. What parents and their children go through in those circumstances I can only imagine.
    Had our little one survived I think we would have probably ended needing the help and care of a hospice like demelza. So this year I am going to run the race in the memory of the son we lost, I never got to know him as I would have wanted but this is just a small personal way to pay my respects to him.
    Demelza care for over 450 children with terminal illness.
    I know money is a bit tight at the moment for all of us , but if you can afford to chip in even a small amount you will be supporting something very worthwhile.
    Thanks
    Jon

(Just to end on a happier note we had a healthy boy, theo, last year he's a year old and doing great)
    3 blokes well done fella,i am doing the the run as well this year,i will do my best to raise monies in next week for this fella!
  • Options
    My reasons for running for this great cause are pretty much the reason's highlighted by 3blokes, as some on here are aware I have 3 grown children and 5 Grandchildren and the thought of anyone of those not being around turns my stomach. The idea was suggested last year after all the successful months of fund raising via the charity match at The Valley and last years marathon of maybe visiting the hospice, something that I believe should still happen because maybe it would make us (myself included) appreciate that life is a very precious thing and that the life of any child especially a child of your own is the most valuable thing you could ever imagine. Almost monthly on this messageboard there will be a thread where various lifers have had a new son or daughter born and they want to tell the world and rightly so, the birth of your own children/Grandchildren will reduce big ugly gits like myself to a quaking wreak within seconds of being born.
    I dont even want to contemplate what the mothers and fathers must go through when a child of theirs is diagnosed with a terminal ilness, but every penny raised for Demelza House can only help ease the pain and help them all spend their last months/weeks/days with their families, I remember the birth of Jon's son Theo (was it really a year ago) but was not aware of his sad loss and it would my privilage to run/walk along side you next weekend and we will complete this run in memory of your son.
  • Options
    Thanks for those comments I really appreciate the thought behind them :-)
  • Options
    So glad to be part of this next week
  • Options
    Best of luck chaps.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]Best of luck chaps.

Thanks Solid, your a gent.
  • Options
    Good luck chaps

Planning to come down and support you guys and S-in law.

Is it same route as last year ?
  • Options
    As far as I know it is the same C, I still haven't recieved my race pack.
  • Options
    Organisation not improved then

:-)
  • Options
    Got my pack but too frightened to see THAT route again.:-) will check it tomo and let you know. All I can remember is that bloody rain....
    Anyway did a 6 tonight. Felt ok. Then watched that ice man bloke on channel 4 run 26 miles in the arctic with no training and wearing only shorts:-(
    Talk about some people showing off ..... Actually he was amazing. But I'll settle for limping round 13 in reasonable weather next Sunday as good enough for me :-)