Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Obama wins Nobel prize

edited October 2009 in Not Sports Related
BBC News

What next, Dr Seuss for a Booker?

Comments

• Options
    I want peace throughout the world. Can I have a prize as well please?

That's all BO seems to have done to win his! Silly, worthless prize in the past few years I think.
  • Options
    I presume he has solved the Arab Israeli conflicts or bought peace to Afghanistan or something, well done on these or other achievements. Might as well give it to Miss World (does this still exist) as she always wants world peace too.
  • Options
    Stop stealing Sky's Foreign Affairs Editor's quotes Steve!
  • Options
    I gave it to them gratis. Great minds and that, me and Rupert go back a long way, I presume he writes all their content.
  • Options
    I'm sure there are more deserving causes than Barack Obama. I think that nominations closed in late January this year for this year's peace prize, i.e. two weeks after his inauguration, all I can remember Obama doing in that time is banning torture of prisoners in US custody and in particular ending the practice of waterboarding, which is good, but hardly worthy of this award.

Even ignoring the cut off point he hasn't achieved much that could be construed worthy of mention, let alone a Nobel Peace Prize, most recipients receive one for being demonstrably successful in resolving a conflict or fighting poverty etc - Iraq is still a mess, and will be for some time, and this week he was advocating having to send more troops into Afghanistan. I appreciate that both wars were not started on his watch and both will continue for some time but this award seems like it is trying to influence US policy rather than recognise his contribution to world peace.
  • Options
    I'd like a black dude to win it next. For something.
  • Options
    my good god what next pardew winning manager of the year

"i know we have a black guy in the white house lets give him the prize i mean he is bringing peace to the USA and the world now has hope if a black guy can become president then all world issues can be solved"

please tell me that he has not just got this for being black because if he has then he should give it back.

I am glad Barrack is president i think he does give hope to the american people that anything is possible i even think that 10 years down the line we will all look back and say what a great job this guy has done and that any award he gets would be great but FFS he has not done anything other than make Gordon Brown look even more ridiculous that doesnt deserve the peace prize an honorary knighthood maybe but come on

he aint no Mother Tersea yet
  • Options
    Sorry to disagree wth much of the above but Obama is the world's best hope for peace and general security. He has already turned American foreign policy in a more constructive direction for which he is being hounded by the neo cons/right wing gaga merchants aided and abetted by Rup and his boys at Fox/Sky etc etc. So in my book he deserves all the encouragement the rest of the world can muster.
  • Options
    Chaz,

I think the whole point is that he is a
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]...hope for peace and general security. ....

Nobel prizes are supposed to be for ACHIEVEMENT
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Sorry to disagree wth much of the above but Obama is the world's best hope for peace and general security. He has already turned American foreign policy in a more constructive direction for which he is being hounded by the neo cons/right wing gaga merchants aided and abetted by Rup and his boys at Fox/Sky etc etc. So in my book he deserves all the encouragement the rest of the world can muster.
    Is the prize not generally given for what you have done, rather than for potential. George Bush Jnr or Adolf Hitler, could, if they followed a different path, made the lives of billions better. I'd have thought that - so as not to be seen as a joke operation like the Academy Awards - the Nobel commission should be looking at objective evidence.

I'm not disagreeing with a word you're saying: other than questioning whether he'd done anything whatsoever to even put him on the path to win an award that was once the rarest thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited October 2009
    The Nobel Peace Prize Winner won't even meet with the Dalai Lama who is effectively Peace in human form just because he wants to keep it sweet with China.
  • Options
    Makes me want to go up the Nobel institute (probably in Switzerland or some other such holding point for stolen jew gold) and smash it to fcuk.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Makes me want to go up the Nobel institute (probably in Switzerland or some other such holding point for stolen jew gold) and smash it to fcuk.

What have the jews done?

Is Obama a jew?
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I take the point about the prize being for achievement. But in a way he's acheived more for world peace just in getting elected than any of us ever achieved on a hundred CND marches in the 1980s.

It is premature, but his election racheted down tension in a whole number of volatile theatres. I'd like to see him use his prize now to get really angry and bang a few heads together, as in :

''Listen, Netanyahu. I'm the bloody Nobel peace prize winner and if you don't get out of the occupied territories I'm going to get really evil on your ass and you'll be sorry you ever messed with me...''
  • Options
    I agree it is a step change from the norm but the change of direction and focus should not be underestimated. Good point WSS but perhaps issues with China will take a bit longer (help dealing with N. Korea is in my book more of a priority than meeting the Dalai Lama).

Not sure Adolf was ever really in the running for a Nobel prize McLovin!
  • Options
    did Ron Reagan get one? didn't he end the cold war - by an arms race the soviets cdnt keep up with?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]The Nobel Peace Prize Winner won't even meet with the Dalai Lama who is effectively Peace in human form
    ...unless you happen to be homosexual, or born into a poor family, or a petty criminal.
  • Options
    I want to discover a cure for cancer. Where do I collect my prize?
  • Options
    As a staunch Obama supporter, I was very surprised when i heard this news.
    Apparently, he was more than a little than surprised, as well, according to White House reports.

My first thought was ... what has he actually done yet?
    It is not like Jimmy Carter getting Begin and Sadat together in the Rose Garden.

So can HOPE alone earn a Nobel Prize? Apparently so.

But perhaps what earned him this award more than anything else is the comparison with the guy in the White House before him, who wouldn't talk to other countries because he had head buried so deep in the sand. Or so far up his own ...
  • Options
    Inhis own words "im surprised and i dont deserve it".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Inhis own words "im surprised and i dont deserve it".

Don't most of the winners say that?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Inhis own words "im surprised and i dont deserve it".

Don't most of the winners say that?

I wouldn't !
  • Options
    I would if I was embarrassed and didn't feel I had justified it. I often used to win cricketer of the year award for OPCC but sometimes my wicketkeeping was not up to mine or Knottys standard so I know how he feels.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]I would if I was embarrassed and didn't feel I had justified it. I often used to win cricketer of the year award for OPCC but sometimes my wicketkeeping was not up to mine or Knottys standard so I know how he feels.

You must be very proud Steve. You and Obama have something in common :-)
  • Options
    ''You must be very proud Steve. You and Obama have something in common :-) ''

Yeah but Alan Knott was better than both of them!
  • Options
    I would be if it actually existed chizz, but mine was a fantasy award for not really doing much at all, but talking a good game. Though I was coached by knottys brother, to bowl leg spin, does that get me a Nobel award?
  • Options
    Varney gets a Nobel Prize if the takeover ever happens. FACT.
  • Options
    Obama = Blair. It'll be interesting to see how much he's fawned over in a couple of years time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]Obama = Blair. It'll be interesting to see how much he's fawned over in a couple of years time.

I've got a better one Cameron = George W.
  • Options
    He is the only US President to have publicly stated that one of his aims is worldwide nuclear disarmament, and it is apparently very much a genuine and cherished notion for Obama. The pressure on him just got a whole lot heavier, clever politics IMO.