Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Obama wins Nobel prize

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]The pressure on him just got a whole lot heavier, clever politics IMO.

And he has a meeting with his Joint Chiefs of Staff on whether to commit more troops to Afganistan coming up very shortly.
    Puts more pressure on a 'man of peace' escalating a war in a pace where Peter the Great (not Peter of Varney, BTW) and Russia couldn't win, either.
  • Options
    You really have a hard on for Obama don't you Chaz. I hope he's as great as you believe him to be but he's done nothing so far to justify the hype.

and no i don't think it's better, try again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]I would be if it actually existed chizz, but mine was a fantasy award for not really doing much at all, but talking a good game. Though I was coached by knottys brother, to bowl leg spin, does that get me a Nobel award?

Was that Francis Knott at Belvedere?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]I hope he's as great as you believe him to be but he's done nothing so far to justify the hype.

Well, the stimulus packages and bank bailouts may have stopped a global economic meltdown. An accomplishment in the short term, although long term implications are still in question.

Stocks are up, although unemployment remains high.

We need to keep in mind the catastrophic situation he was left with, and caused by, his predecessor.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Did any of you see on the news the witty remark that the taliban made in response to him winning?

"Barack Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize!? Nobel WAR Prize, more like." haHA

Something about their response doesn't ring true, do the taliban really use pun-based humour as propaganda?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fortune Costa Fish[/cite]Something about their response doesn't ring true, do the taliban really use pun-based humour as propaganda?

Only Simon Jordan!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]You really have a hard on for Obama don't you Chaz. I hope he's as great as you believe him to be but he's done nothing so far to justify the hype.

and no i don't think it's better, try again.

Certainly respect the guy and hope he has a successful Presidency (if that is what you mean). Not sure that it is true that he is all hype but suppose it depends what side of the political spectrum you are on. He is certainly more principled that his predecessor and I think we should all be grateful for that.

How about Cameron = Palin then :-)
  • Options
    Len, yes that Mr knott, a loyal Addick. Still see him down the valley occasionally.
  • Options
    used car sales man flogging the NWOs aganda.....
  • Options
    God, i really hope he hasnt one this award just because he is 'black' (which isnt even true, he's mixed race - raised by his white mother after his old man done a runner when he was younger)

I would like to know who the other nominees were and compare actual achievements.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleygary[/cite]God, i really hope he hasnt one this award just because he is 'black' (which isnt even true, he's mixed race - raised by his white mother after his old man done a runner when he was younger)

I would like to know who the other nominees were and compare actual achievements.

Re your last sentence Gary. I hate to point out the obvious but that is just what the judging panel did. If however you feel better qualified to make this type of call then why not drop them a note :-)
  • Options
    Yeah thats right. A panel of judges always get it spot on and people always agree with them.
  • Options
    Ridiculous, he was nominated only 11 days after being sworn into office, it was a shoe in from the start, it seems everyone does really have a price.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Highly embarrassing...We'd all like to believe that Obama is going to be a fine president and one that 'will' make the world a safer and more peacful place to live in.
    True he has done one or two things so far (in his very short time in office), that indicate we just 'may' be going down a more reasoned and peaceful road...BUT NO YET....he still has a way to go before we can hang any kind of plaudits upon him....The Nobel Peace Prize is supposed to be the pinacle of acheivement for an individual in this field.....how on earth can he be judged to have done that....so far that is?
  • Options
    Ok as we have so many experts on here let's have our own poll. I'm not going to list the 205 nominees but here is the supposed short list.

Barak Obama
    Morgan Tsvangiral
    Piedad Cordoba
    Sima Samar
    Hu Jiu

If you are going to give a view/vote please at least try to find out about the achievements of the other candidates!

Oh and Gary. Morgan Tsvangiral is also black. Not sure if his father ran off when he was young though:-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Ok as we have so many experts on here let's have our own poll. I'm not going to list the 205 nominees but here is the supposed short list.

Barak Obama
    Morgan Tsvangiral
    Piedad Cordoba
    Sima Samar
    Hu Jiu

If you are going to give a view/vote please at least try to find out about the achievements of the other candidates!

Oh and Gary. Morgan Tsvangiral is also black. Not sure if his father ran off when he was young though:-)

It's irrelevant to me what they have done in this context, and what the colour of their skin is, to be nominated for the NPP only 11 days after being in office is clearly a complete set up/con/shoe in, delete as appropriate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Ok as we have so many experts on here let's have our own poll. I'm not going to list the 205 nominees but here is the supposed short list.

Barak Obama
    Morgan Tsvangiral
    Piedad Cordoba
    Sima Samar
    Hu Jiu

It's irrelevant to me what they have done in this context, and what the colour of their skin is, to be nominated for the NPP only 11 days after being in office is clearly a complete set up/con/shoe in, delete as appropriate.

Could be they liked what he was doing/saying even BEFORE he took office! But hey I'm no expert.
  • Options
    Ironic winning the prize on the day USA bombed the moon!
  • Options
    Piedad...not trying to lower the tone of the debate but what sort of a name is that....LOL!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]Ironic winning the prize on the day USA bombed the moon!

POST OF THE WEEK creepy!!.....LOL!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9DA9
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]

Barak Obama
    Morgan Tsvangiral
    Piedad Cordoba
    Sima Samar
    Hu Jiu

Could be they liked what he was doing/saying even BEFORE he took office! But hey I'm no expert.

Neither am I, but are you seriously saying that a presidential candidate could have possibly had said or done anything to to get noticed on the radar to justify being nominated for the NPP. I would have no issue with his nomination after having spent some time in the job and actually achieving something worthy of it. Without googling the other candidates on the shortlist, I would suspect that they are people who have had a lifetime of commitment to a cause, charity, human rights issues, medicine, science, etc, as a mere politician before his nomination, I doubt he had these sort of commitments or inputs, other than maybe paying lip service to certain things at certain times.

I have no axe to grind with Obama, he comes across to me as a decent human being with a fairly grounded nature, and I believe he has best intentions on all he does, but for him not only to be nominated (remember, only 11 days after being sworn in), but to actually win it, to me is a complete charade.
  • Options
    The NPP has basically changed this year from being based on achievement to being based on aspiration and hope. From this perspective Obama is clearly the right choice simply because of the power and status of the USA together with a President who has signalled a massive change in foreign policy. Whether or not he will deliver and whether or not this particular change in direction for the NPP proves to be 'a good thing' remain questions for the future.
  • Options

Barak Obama
    Morgan Tsvangiral
    Piedad Cordoba
    Sima Samar
    Hu Jiu

Neither am I, but are you seriously saying that a presidential candidate could have possibly had said or done anything to to get noticed on the radar to justify being nominated for the NPP. I would have no issue with his nomination after having spent some time in the job and actually achieving something worthy of it. Without googling the other candidates on the shortlist, I would suspect that they are people who have had a lifetime of commitment to a cause, charity, human rights issues, medicine, science, etc, as a mere politician before his nomination, I doubt he had these sort of commitments or inputs, other than maybe paying lip service to certain things at certain times.

I have no axe to grind with Obama, he comes across to me as a decent human being with a fairly grounded nature, and I believe he has best intentions on all he does, but for him not only to be nominated (remember, only 11 days after being sworn in), but to actually win it, to me is a complete charade.

Great post DA9.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]The NPP has basically changed this year from being based on achievement to being based on aspiration and hope. From this perspective Obama is clearly the right choice simply because of the power and status of the USA together with a President who has signalled a massive change in foreign policy. Whether or not he will deliver and whether or not this particular change in direction for the NPP proves to be 'a good thing' remain questions for the future.

Just about sums it up stilladdicted. Let's all hope it is!

And DA we are talking about the Peace prize here as I am sure you are aware this is not the category for science and medicine. The other candidates shortlisted, as you suggest, would also have been very worthy winners. But what Obama is trying to do is at a diferent level. IMO anyway :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]The NPP has basically changed this year from being based on achievement to being based on aspiration and hope. From this perspective Obama is clearly the right choice simply because of the power and status of the USA together with a President who has signalled a massive change in foreign policy. Whether or not he will deliver and whether or not this particular change in direction for the NPP proves to be 'a good thing' remain questions for the future.

Just about sums it up stilladdicted. Let's all hope it is!

And DA we are talking about the Peace prize here as I am sure you are aware this is not the category for science and medicine. The other candidates shortlisted, as you suggest, would also have been very worthy winners. But what Obama is trying to do is at a diferent level. IMO anyway :-)

Technically your right, but I am sure (again, without googling) that people in those fields have won the NPP as their work as led to some sort of humanitarian change or cure for disease.
  • Options
    Cameron = GW Bush ha ha ha ha ha haha yesof course i mean how many wars have this Labour rabble got us involved in again ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Cameron = GW Bush ha ha ha ha ha haha yesof course i mean how many wars have this Labour rabble got us involved in again ?

But Dave's promised the army more soldiers and all the equipment they could possibly want. Weren't you at the Conference :-)
  • Options
    A lot of the news pundits on this side of the pond believe the award is really the Nobel committee's way to repudiate the eight repugnant years of George "Dubaya" Bush, as much, if not more so, than for the re-opening of world dialog and the hope that Obama's presidency has promised to bring.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]A lot of the news pundits on this side of the pond believe the award is really the Nobel committee's way to repudiate the eight repugnant years of George "Dubaya" Bush, as much, if not more so, than for the re-opening of world dialog and the hope that Obama's presidency has promised to bring.

Bet the neo cons and rabid right are loving it. Saw that toss** Bolton on the box last night spitting feathers. Worth Barak getting the award just for that. He has got a tough enough job clearing up the mess GW left without getting constantly stabbed in the back from his own so called countrymen. Plus of course the helpful input from uncle Rup's organs!
  • Options
    I couldnt give a sh*t who stands against this Labour antiEnglishProANYTHINGANTIBritish-bunch of PC-lovingC**ts. I hope they not only loose the next election but they are HUMILIATED .

As for Obama do you actually ejaculate when he speaks ? seems some of you do.

I hope for the World he is as good as his rhetoric. As for being better than Bush ---please who wouldnt have been?