Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Obama wins Nobel prize

13»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]I couldnt give a sh*t who stands against this Labour antiEnglishProANYTHINGANTIBritish-bunch of PC-lovingC**ts. I hope they not only loose the next election but they are HUMILIATED .

As for Obama do you actually ejaculate when he speaks ? seems some of you do.

I hope for the World he is as good as his rhetoric. As for being better than Bush ---please who wouldnt have been?

Interesting point of view!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Cameron = GW Bush ha ha ha ha ha haha yesof course i mean how many wars have this Labour rabble got us involved in again ?

But Dave's promised the army more soldiers and all the equipment they could possibly want. Weren't you at the Conference :-)

Have the BNP had a conference this week?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Cameron = GW Bush ha ha ha ha ha haha yesof course i mean how many wars have this Labour rabble got us involved in again ?

But Dave's promised the army more soldiers and all the equipment they could possibly want. Weren't you at the Conference :-)

Have the BNP had a conference this week?

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt BFR. Bad day at the Valley and England losing as well.....
  • Options
    True, one unforeseen benefit of Obama winning the NPP is the rise in blood pressure levels caused to the twats on the right, possibly to dangerous levels, wouldn't it be ironic if this award leads to a few heart-attacks? First a liberal, black president and now this...

I can see something in the argument that suggests that the award was designed to encourage Obama to pursue diplomacy, nuclear non-prolieration and to tackle global warming and globalisation and the economic disparities that they have caused, but I think there are better candidates out there who are doing good work in these areas and Obama should receive the award after he's demonstrated some achievement, intent without any substantive follow through isn't enough.

If the Norwegians want to really rile the right-wingers how about giving next year's award to Bono? That should cause a few more heads to explode on the right...
  • Options
    Why would i know when or if the BNp had or are having a meeting ?

ooooooo dear mustnt slag off the people that have ruined my country must i ? i mean anyone who dares to think that the left are a bunch of KnoblessUselessTraitors must of course be in the BNP. As for them they are far to nice id burn the lot of you----job done.
  • Options
    BFR and çhaz, very sad, you are fighting a lost battle here. The only reason he was awarded the prize is that they want to influence his future policy, nothing done yet, they just hope he does some good by awarding it. You admit yourself that it is given for hope rather than achievement and that is exactly what it is, an attempt to soften Americas policy. The only recent US president who deserved the prize would be Reagan who bought peace to Europe by using the strength of the US, not rolling over to have his tummy tickled. Time will tell if Obama deserves it, not now. They are pushing for appeasement, let's hope al qaeeda agree and follow this policy. Do you think they will?
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    He is presiding over the two biggest military operations of the last few decades. He has troops out there killing and getting killed on a daily basis. Doesnt sound very peaceful to me.

Awarding it to him...PC, maybe not, but peaceful definitley not.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Steve. Thanks for clearing that up I feel so enlightened now.

Seems to be a bit of confusion between you & Rodney. One wants Obama to use more force the other less? Seems he can't win.

And there was me thinking Reagan was a total fkwit! Well you live and learn :-)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]True, one unforeseen benefit of Obama winning the NPP is the rise in blood pressure levels caused to the twats on the right, possibly to dangerous levels, wouldn't it be ironic if this award leads to a few heart-attacks? First a liberal, black president and now this...

I can see something in the argument that suggests that the award was designed to encourage Obama to pursue diplomacy, nuclear non-prolieration and to tackle global warming and globalisation and the economic disparities that they have caused, but I think there are better candidates out there who are doing good work in these areas and Obama should receive the award after he's demonstrated some achievement, intent without any substantive follow through isn't enough.

If the Norwegians want to really rile the right-wingers how about giving next year's award to Bono? That should cause a few more heads to explode on the right...

Seems it has not only wound up some of ours friends on the other side of the pond!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Steve. Thanks for clearing that up I feel so enlightened now.

Seems to be a bit of confusion between you & Rodney. One wants Obama to use more force the other less? Seems he can't win it seems.

No my point is that i cant see how someone ruling over an illegal war for oil can be taken as a serious candidate for a "peace" prize winner.

War- peace...polar opposites id say. No confusion there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chaz Hill[/cite]Steve. Thanks for clearing that up I feel so enlightened now.

Seems to be a bit of confusion between you & Rodney. One wants Obama to use more force the other less? Seems he can't win it seems.

No my point is that i cant see how someone ruling over an illegal war for oil can be taken as a serious candidate for a "peace" prize winner.

War- peace...polar opposites id say. No confusion there.

Be fair Rodney. Obama didn't take the US into either war but is having to deal with the aftermath.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Get Off Obama's Back ...second thoughts from Michael Moore

Friends,

Last night my wife asked me if I thought I was a little too hard on Obama in my letter yesterday congratulating him on his Nobel Prize. "No, I don't think so," I replied. I thought it was important to remind him he's now conducting the two wars he's inherited. "Yeah," she said, "but to tell him, 'Now earn it!'? Give the guy a break -- this is a great day for him and for all of us."

I went back and re-read what I had written. And I listened for far too long yesterday to the right wing hate machine who did what they could to crap all over Barack's big day. Did I -- and others on the left -- do the same?

We are weary, weary of war. The trillions that will have gone to these two wars have helped to bankrupt us as a nation -- financially and morally. To think of all the good we could have done with all that money! Two months of the War in Iraq would pay for all the wells that need to be dug in the Third World for drinking water! Obama is moving too slow for most of us -- but he needs to know we are with him and we stand beside him as he attempts to turn eight years of sheer madness around. Who could do that in nine months? Superman? Thor? Mitch McConnell?

Instead of waiting to see what the president is going to do, we all need to be pro-active and push the agenda that we want to see enacted. What keeps us from forming the same local groups we put together to get out the vote last November? C'mon! We're the majority now -- the majority by a significant margin! We call the shots -- and we need to tell this wimpy Congress to get busy and do what we say -- or else.

All I ask of those who voted for Obama is to not pile on him too quickly. Yes, make your voice heard (his phone number is 202-456-1414). But don't abandon the best hope we've had in our lifetime for change. And for God's sake, don't head to bummerville if he says or does something we don't like. Do you ever see Republicans behave that way? I mean, the Right had 20 years of Republican presidents and they still couldn't get prayer in the public schools, or outlaw abortion, or initiate a flat tax or put our Social Security into the stock market. They did a lot of damage, no doubt about that, but on the key issues that the Christian Right fought for, they came up nearly empty handed. No wonder they've been driven crazy lately. They'll never have it as good again as they've had it since Reagan took office.

But -- do you ever see them looking all gloomy and defeated? No! They keep on fighting! Every day. Our side? At the first sign of wavering, we just pack up our toys and go home.

So, at least for this weekend, let us celebrate what people elsewhere are celebrating -- that America now has a sane and smart man in the White House, a man who truly wants a world at peace for his two daughters.

Many, for the past couple days (yes, myself included), have grumbled, "What has he done to earn this prize?" How 'bout this:

The simple fact that he was elected was reason enough for him to be the recipient of this year's Nobel Peace Prize.

Because on that day the murderous actions of the Bush/Cheney years were totally and thoroughly rebuked. One man -- a man who opposed the War in Iraq from the beginning -- offered to end the insanity. The world has stood by in utter horror for the past eight years as they watched the descendants of Washington, Lincoln and Jefferson light the fuse of our own self-destruction. We flipped off the nations on this planet by abandoning Kyoto and then proceeded to melt eight more years worth of the polar ice caps. We invaded two nations that didn't attack us, failed to find the real terrorists and, in effect, ignited our own wave of terror. People all over the world wondered if we had gone mad.

And if all that wasn't enough, the outgoing Joker presided over the worst global financial collapse since the Great Depression.

So, yeah, at precisely 11:00pm ET on November 4, 2008, Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize. And the 66 million people who voted for him won it, too. By the time he took the stage at midnight ET in the Grant Park Historic Hippie Battlefield in downtown Chicago, billions of people around the globe were already breathing a huge sigh of relief. It was as if, in that instant, one man did bring the promise of peace to the world -- and most were ready to go wherever he wanted to go to achieve that end. Never before had the election of one man made every other nation feel like they had won, too. When you've got billions of people ready, willing and able to join a cause like this, well, a prize in Oslo is the least that you deserve.

One other thought. The Peace Prize historically has been given to those who have worked to throw off the yoke of racial discrimination and segregation (Martin Luther King, Jr., Desmond Tutu). I think the Nobel committee, in awarding Obama the prize, was also rewarding the fact that something profound had happened in a nation that was founded on racial genocide, built on racist slavery, and held back for a hundred-plus years by vestiges of hateful bigotry (which can still be found on display at teabagger rallies and daily talk radio). The fact that this one man could cause this seismic historical event to occur -- and to do so with such grace and humility, never succumbing to the bait, but still not backing down (yes, he asked to be sworn in as "Barack Hussein Obama"!) -- is more than reason enough he should be in Oslo to meet the King on December 10. Maybe he could take us along with him. 'Cause I also suspect the Nobel committee was tipping its hat to all of us -- we, the American people, had conquered some of our racism and did the truly unexpected. After seeing searing images of our black fellow citizens left to drown in New Orleans -- and poor whites seeing their own treated no better than the black man they had been raised to hate -- we had all seen enough. It was time for change.

Thank you, Barack Obama, for giving us the opportunity to redeem ourselves. Now for the tasks ahead. We need you to do all that you promised to do. We need it. The world needs it.

My prediction for the future? You become the first *two-time* winner of the Nobel Peace Prize! Yeah!

Fred (that's Norwegian for "Peace"),

Michael Moore

MMFlint@aol.com
    MichaelMoore.com
  • Options
    Thanks for that AA. It's interesting to see this perspective. We'd spent two months in the USA touring during the final days of the Presidential election and Obama was the only topic of conversation (other than Princess Diana!), and you could almost feel the changes in people's thinking in that short time. I'm no great fan of Michael Moore, I've always felt he ruins his own points by his OTT dogmatic style. I'm not convinced that the NPP was awarded for these reasons, seems to me a bit of a the old isolationist USA thinking creeping in, but I wholeheartedly go with the the conclusion -
    "We need you to do all that you promised to do. We need it. The world needs it. "
  • Options
    Thanks for this AA.Says it all really.

Not sure some of our 'roughnecks' will be convinced but there you go
  • Options
    Thanks AA, always nice to read a michael Moore piece early in the morning. Makes me glad I live here and don't have to listen to the fat twat very often.
  • Options
    Here is an interesting column from a sports writer who dabbles in politics (think Brian Glanville writing about all things Italian).

President Obama copes with critics on Nobel Peace Prize, war hawks on Afghanistan

Mike Lupica - New York Daily News
    Monday, October 12th 2009

President Obama's Nobel prize win is being discussed as a loss by his critics, who want him to be a big-war President and send more troops to Afghanistan.

The President of the United States doesn't have to give back the Nobel Peace Prize just because people in his own country don't think he deserves it, he doesn't have to apologize for it or act like getting caught with a Nobel is like a talk-show host getting caught with an intern.

The Nobel hasn't suddenly become more trivial than the People's Choice Awards because Barack Obama wasn't supposed to get it. And just because the committee finally found another American President it thought worthy of this honor doesn't mean Obama really wants to be President of the whole world.

That was the guy before him.

This really is a first with the Nobel, all these sudden and self-righteous experts on the prize actually wondering how badly an honor like this hurts Obama.

Chicago loses the Olympics, Obama is the one who really lost. He wins the Nobel Prize and is told he's some kind of bum loser again. Forget that he was surprised and properly humbled and said so. Forget that the $1.4 million he got for the prize goes to charity.

The truth is that the ones who hate him, hate anything he tries to do, don't want him to win any prize with the word "peace" attached to it, not at a time when they want him to be a big-war President and give the generals what generals always want, which is more troops.

Right now Obama has to do the hardest thing any President ever has to do: Be smart and right in a time of war. People keep saying that the opposition he faces right now is as mean and hateful as what Bill Clinton faced. No, it isn't. There was no war for Clinton when he took office. It changes everything.

Gen. William Westmoreland always wanted another 100,000 troops from Lyndon Johnson to send to Vietnam. Johnson kept going along until he finally said no. It was much too late for Johnson by then, of course, his legacy was shot, the American President who signed the Civil Rights Act and who signed Medicare into law was going to be remembered for Vietnam, the war that finally made him quit on his stool in the spring of 1968.

Now, the only way Obama is supposed to get the armies of the right off his back is to give Gen. Stanley McChrystal what he wants, as many as 40,000 more troops for Afghanistan, maybe as many as 60,000.

Obama put himself on this road when he sent more troops over there and said he had to, it wasn't just his war, it was America's war, and a war of necessity. Right. So was Vietnam. At the beginning of 1964, there were 16,000 military "advisers" in Vietnam. By 1967, the number of ground troops had grown to nearly half a million.

Still Westmoreland kept pushing for more. He called 550,000 the "minimum essential force" and called 670,000 American troops "optimum." That was when Johnson, broken by then, famously asked, "Where does it all end?" And Westmoreland said that if he got all the troops he wanted, he could finish the job in three years.

Obama worried too much about being called weak during the campaign and he is clearly worried about the same thing now, as his own generals call for reinforcements in Afghanistan. So do the tough guys in the media who have never served a day in the military in their lives. These are the same guys who worry about where the money will come from to pay for Obama's social agenda but never worry about where we find enough soldiers to fight these wars.

We can't keep sending the same heroes back, or the war in Afghanistan eventually becomes a nightmare out of "Zombieland." You know where the soldiers will eventually have to come from for Obama to be the big, strong, brave President they say he has to be with wars? From a draft. Wait and see how much the war lovers love war if the military ever comes after their sons and daughters.

You want to say this President hasn't backed up his own fancy words so far? You want to say he's done an awful job of explaining the difference between health care and health care legislation? Go ahead. And he does seem lost sometimes, preoccupied with being the most popular kid in class. But the idea that it's some sort of terrible thing for the rest of the world to think highly of him is just one more shouted lie in America.

Just not nearly as big and loud a lie as this one:

That the only way for Barack Obama to make things right for winning the Nobel Peace Prize is by sending more kids off to war.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Great article, Obama needs to stand strong against the war-happy Generals, but will he?

America could tip another 100,000 troops into that quagmire and it would not make the slightest difference.

I saw a great TV report on Afghanistan a couple of years back by the late Australian journalist Richard Carleton.

Carleton was holed up in some dreadful mountain with the Taliban and he asked this crazed looking Taliban how long he was prepared to carry on fighting for?

"Forever," came the reply, "What else have we ever done around here?"
  • Options
    Goonerhater in the BNP......LOL, must be trying to repatriate his wife as we speak.
  • Options
    He'd been president for a couple of weeks when the committee sat, and is currently presiding over two wars and the Cuba embargo. It's like the Nobel foundations have got spin doctors and said, "who would idiots like us to award one of these things to?" They've turned it into a pointless trinket through their actions. Jade Goody will pick up a posthumous one next, mark my words.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers AA. You tend to forget that the the majority of Americans are clear thinking and sensible because they are drowned out by the amount of coverage given to the gaga brigade by the media over there.

And Steve will be made up. Something else for him to sneer at:-)
  • Options
    A really good article AA, really good. Many thanks for it. My world hasn't been the same since Alistair Cookie stopped letter writing, so I really appreciate you taking the time to send us these articles. Do you do a blog or anything similar, I'd like to hear more and perhaps this isn't the best site for that purpose?