Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scally Rant...

Comments

• Options
    Same old moaning from scally, what he seems to be unable to grasp is a true fan supports a club for life, many of my friends and family who now live in the medway towns already supported Charlton. Charlton did not steal us from Gillingham they just made it easier to get to Charlton, curious to know how many people who use the valley express where actually attending Gillingham games regularly before the introduction of the service.
  • Options
    My grandad was born and bred in Charlton and was a proud Kentishman (and Addick) - because, as Bing says, Charlton is historically a Kentish district that is now also a district of inner London. So by your logic, Mr KIBAW, if a bureaucrat came along and said 'Gillingham is now in the new county of South Essex' you would be OK with that?

And presumably Scally would then start having a go at Southend and Colchester for competing for 'his' Essex fans?
  • Options
    Charlton is now in South East London end of. It is not Charlton, Kent whatever anyone says.

We may have most of our support from Kent, but that's not the same. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    "Kentishblueandwhite

Millwall have just as much claim to being a kent club as Charlton”

Millwall are an Essex team squatting south of the river so they have no claim to Kent supporters and should go back where they came from
  • Options
    I thought Charlton v Millwall was a London derby. Apparently it's not. It's Kent v Essex. What a load of bollox !

Please sink !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Charlton is now in South East London end of. It is not Charlton, Kent whatever anyone says.

We may have most of our support from Kent, but that's not the same. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Fine you don't care. Some of us do. The comments were specifically a rebuttal of the Gills fan. Shame your not interested in the truth.
  • Options
    Isn't Millwall proper on the Isle of Dogs? In that case it's Middlesex, not Essex (the border is the River Lea I think).

Note the insignia on the Blackwall Tunnel next time you head north from the promised land....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Isn't Millwall proper on the Isle of Dogs? In that case it's Middlesex, not Essex (the border is the River Lea I think).

Note the insignia on the Blackwall Tunnel next time you head north from the promised land....

you're right. A few spanners use this fact to make out that they are the east end team and west ham are an essex team.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sam lloyd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]I was just typing out loud, the concept of such a thing as "Gillingham fans" just amused me!

There aren't any are there, didn't we steal them all ? ;-)

Oh yes, amidst all the fun I forgot....... we stole them all! They didn't have many to begin with!!
  • Options
    So Millwall are an east End club who play in south London and therefore are stealing our fans?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Kibaw, you can't have it both ways. Both Charlton and Bromley are in historical Kent. Due to reorganisations of local government administration, one in 1889 and the other in 1964, both were placed in London. Charlton addresses kept the description Kent until London post codes were introduced. Bromley addresses have been allowed, as a sop to those who opposed in at the time, to continue to use Kent in their address. You're just trying to wriggle out of it because you don't like the truth which you deny. Charlton is a Kentish Town which for reasons local government reorganisation finds itself in the London Borough of Greenwich, Bromley is also a Kentish town which now finds itself in London Borough of Bromley. There is no difference it's just that one happened before the other.

But Charlton were formed in 1905 - so Charlton was in London when they were formed even though it was in Kent at one point in history. If you go back in your history books far enough it was probably in the Kingdom of Wessex at some point in the middle ages but that doesn't mean we're the pride of the Kindom of Wessex does it (although we should be!) ?

We're a London club with a large number of Kentish fans due to our proximity to that county.
  • Options
    We are both a South London club and a Kent club.

We are a regional side and that is our catchment area although our roots are in SE7/SE10 and long may that remain.

There is a duality and this is underlined by Kent playing Cricket in recent years both at Beckenham and Blackheath.

We have attracted fans from Dartford, Medway and beyond for decades back to before Gillingham were allowed back in the league after being kicked out in 1938. Most of the fans living in Kent are part of the post-war diaspora from SE London.

Charlton Athletic FC is not in the Administrative area of Kent CC but then neither is Gillingham FC so all talk of county boundaries are pointless.
  • Options
    Oh the Kingdom of Wessex is wonderful
    It's full Londoners, Kenters and Charlton
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RalphMilnesgut[/cite]Oh the Kingdom of Wessex is wonderful
    It's full Londoners, Kenters and Charlton

Cerdic is our leader lalalalala
  • Options
    "We hate Wessex and we hate Wessex"

"In your Winchester Slums"

"go down mead hall
    drink ten pints"

"Run from the Vikings, you always run from the Vikings"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]"Run from the Vikings, you always run from the Vikings"

Vikings, huh, no chance ... just a bunch of posers with big helmets.
  • Options
    They're not as bad as those bleeding Mercians. Talk about uncivilised...

'You're the sh*te of the heptarchy'
    'You always pay the Danegeld, you always pay the Danegeld'
    'Your mead hall is too big for you'
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]They're not as bad as those bleeding Mercians. Talk about uncivilised...

'You're the sh*te of the heptarchy'
    'You always pay the Danegeld, you always pay the Danegeld'
    'Your mead hall is too big for you'

PMSL at "your mead hall's too big for you"

And "Heptatchy" as well. Comes over all football lad like but he's a bloody intellectual : - )

[cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]"Run from the Vikings, you always run from the Vikings"

Vikings, huh, no chance ... just a bunch of posers with big helmets.

Some of my best mates are Vikings. I'm not anti-viking immigration I'm just worried about the numbers. If we're not careful we'll all be worshipping Woden and Thor soon. : - )
  • Options
    The Danes? A bunch of total Canutes.
  • Options
    Damn, my disguise is slipping...

Vikings integrated fine (bar the odd misunderstanding of the general rape/pillage/burn/ mass slaughter variety) coz yer Anglo-Saxons worshipped Woden and they called him Odin. It was yer christians that were the problem... :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]Damn, my disguise is slipping...

Vikings integrated fine (bar the odd misunderstanding of the general rape/pillage/burn/ mass slaughter variety) coz yer Anglo-Saxons worshipped Woden and they called him Odin. It was yer christians that were the problem... :)

yeah, they come here with their funny foreign religion and expect us to follow that.

They'll be banning Yuletide next in case it offends them. : - )
  • Options
    "Your brother is from Wessex
    Your sister is from Essex
    Your parents were from Mercia
    And you talk in an early form of the English language that was spoken and written in parts of what are now England and south-eastern Scotland between the middle of the fifth and twelfth centuries".
  • Options
    Scally to Odin ... lol ... only on Charlton Life.
  • Options
    Cerleton Liffe
  • Options
    So if there was a football League in the 800s the major teams would be

Canterbury
    London
    Norwich
    Exeter
    Rochester
    Ely
    York
    Chester
    Gloucester
    Winchester.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    To get back on topic, is the settlement of Charleton part of the anglo-saxon kingdom of Kent or not?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]So if there was a football League in the 800s the major teams would be

Canterbury
    London
    Norwich
    Exeter
    Rochester
    Ely
    York
    Chester
    Gloucester
    Winchester.
    And the top two would squabble about who has the most fans in Kent.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]To get back on topic, is the settlement of Charleton part of the anglo-saxon kingdom of Kent or not?

charlton kent

When it was Charleton ... yes.
  • Options
    Henry has it right. We are a South London club and a Kent club.
  • Options
    Could Airman tell us how many ST holders live in Kent?

I bet he's got a spread sheet on it :-)