Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rob Elliot out for 6 weeks **2009/10 Season**

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]Whats this Wolves keeper like? Anybody know?

Agree with everyone that he's a big loss. However, Carl Ikeme is a quality keeper. He started 12 games for the team that won the Championship last season. This is an excellent replacement given short time constraints to get someone in.
  • Options
    Made some good saves so shame he's out injured, but last few times I've seen him his kicking ha sbeen a bit dodgy and I'm not sure if communicates enough for the centre backs to hear him.

Still a loss.
  • Options
    I know the 606 forums are never the most reliable for info, but some encouraging comments about Ikeme here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A58971171

Some Wolves fans saying they'd happily have him in goal in the Premiership.
  • Options
    Not his biggest fan but he won us a point on Saturday and has won us a few more this season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]Whats this Wolves keeper like? Anybody know?

Agree with everyone that he's a big loss. However, Carl Ikeme is a quality keeper. He started 12 games for the team that won the Championship last season. This is an excellent replacement given short time constraints to get someone in.
    Should we assume he slots in as number one 'keeper? Or does he keep the bench warm while DR plays?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]

Should we assume he slots in as number one 'keeper? Or does he keep the bench warm while DR plays?

I think he'll go straight in. And I think he should too.
  • Options
    We should have got Deano back on loan, sure WBA would not have minded!
  • Options
    big loss. Chance for Randolph to shine, must be given chance ahead of Ikeme otherwise why bother keeping him at all ?
  • Options
    Randolph has been waiting for his chance and now he has the opportunity to make himself number 1, Happens all the time that players get injured and their deputy gets the gig. Shame for Elliot but just what the doctor ordered for Darren.
  • Options
    Think that the signing of a young keeper, rather than an experienced veteran, indicates that Randolph will start in the League games.

Anyway welcome Carl. Could be Addick 696.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's a blow but at least we've got someone in quickly who although is young has experience with Wolves and out on loan.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]big loss. Chance for Randolph to shine, must be given chance ahead of Ikeme otherwise why bother keeping him at all ?

Agree with that.
  • Options

Think that would be a big mistake. One of the big problems we had last season was loan players being brought in without our own players being given a chance. That must have had some effect on team spirit/moral.

As LargeAddick said, if Randolph isn't going to get his chance now, why is he at the club?
  • Options
    I'm sure Big Darren is up to the job, he had that one howler on his home debut a while back but I was impressed with him away at Sheff Weds and Liverpool. Maybe not quite as solid allround as Bobby E, but he's at least as good a shot stopper if not better.
  • Options
    To be fair as I am not a fan of Randolph, two things: he has played well against Liverpool and secondly this give us a chance to sing the Randolph the red nose goalie song (it is the season aswell almost)
  • Options
    bugger, echo the thoughts of many, hopefully randolph wont disappoint - he was always ahead of robbie in the peckin order
  • Options
    Some very positive comments from Wolves fans on that 606 link - sounds very dependable.
  • Options
    If I were manager (and you'd probably be glad I'm not, lol) ....... then Randolph definitely starts against Carlisle and Northwich Vic ...... and his performances dictate whether he keeps his place for the following matches.

He's got to be guaranteed those 2 games .... and Parky will decide if he deserves to stay in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]

Think that would be a big mistake. One of the big problems we had last season was loan players being brought in without our own players being given a chance. That must have had some effect on team spirit/moral.

As LargeAddick said, if Randolph isn't going to get his chance now, why is he at the club?

I disagree with those saying Randolph should start. The problem last season wasn't our own players not being given a chance, the problem was that the loan players were not very good at football. That they were loanees was not the problem.

Randolph is at the club as a backup keeper. We've been able to bring in a keeper who, in my opinion at least, is better than he is. Therefore he remains the backup keeper.
  • Options
    out of interest Dabos, and I respect your point of view, how many of Ikeme's twelve starts for Wolves have you actually seen, and I mean in there entirity not just highlights ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am a big fan of Robbie, but Randolph is the bloke who now has to play. Even though Ikeme comes in with good notices, Darren Randolph has bided his time, is second in line, and now we need to see if he has the cohones to seize this opportunity.
    Get well soon though Robbie.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]If I were manager (and you'd probably be glad I'm not, lol) ....... then Randolph definitely starts against Carlisle and Northwich Vic ...... and his performances dictate whether he keeps his place for the following matches.

He's got to be guaranteed those 2 games .... and Parky will decide if he deserves to stay in.

I think that's pretty fair. No point in having Randolph as backup keeper if you're not going to use him when back up is required.
  • Options
    Can't see anyway Randolph doesn't play ahead of the borrowed fella. Shame for Elliot, because he was having a good season and was MOM v Gillingham. But DR will be fine, no worries....
  • Options
    unlucky for Robbie but have every confidence in Randolph
  • Options
    Back luck for Robbie, but having our keeper injured won't define our season.....big chance for Randolph now (who must surely play ahead of the loanee) he'll have a big point to prove and could have enough games to give the management a real dilema when Robbie's fit again !!!!
  • Options
    My biggest concern is who will do Chris Powell's tunnel thingy celebration after we win a game? Although I've been in Lyon since September so I don't know if anyone other than Rob Elliot has been doing it?
  • Options
    I want Randolph to start on Saturday because two days isn't long enough for a relationship between keeper and centre backs to be formed. But, beyond that, can you honestly see Wolves letting go a supposedly highly rated keeper to come and sit on our bench, as opposed to automatically playing somewhere else, or even for their reserves? I suppose only time will tell, but if he is allowed to play in the cup it wouldn't surprise me to see Randolph in goal on Saturday and Ikeme at Victoria.

Also such a shame about Robbie. Doing your pectoral is quite a big injury, and how much of Saturday was he playing with it? There were a couple of saves he made, which to me are now more impressive knowing he made them when injured.
  • Options
    I also can't see that Wolves would particularly want Ikeme cup tied, so Rudolph the Red Nose will play against Northwich Vic. In which case it would be common sense that he should play next Saturday's Carlisle game too.

No point having 3 different keepers in 3 consecutive matches. The defence wouldn't know which day of the week it was.

Just Oggy's logic.

;o)
  • Options
    OS has already said Ikeme can't play in the FA cup but can in the JPT.
  • Options
    Agree with Oggy logic - give Randolph the next 2 games and see how he does as he has to play at Northwich, of course if he gets injured at Carlisle.........

and he does have a very good name - Randolph

R.